Spiritual Words.

Mark Sadek

Jan 22, 2012, 8:52:47 PM1/22/12
to spiritu...@googlegroups.com

"Think about suffering before it comes to you. When you see the wretched of this world, even if what they are doing seems blameworthy, you must not look down on them. Perhaps the medicine of poverty will heal those who are wounded by some weakness in their character."

St. Gregory the Great.

"But from there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul." Deuteronomy 4:29

The Bible reading for the 14th of Toba, January 23rd, is:
1 He also said to His disciples: There was a certain rich man who had a steward, and an accusation was brought to him that this man was wasting his goods. 2 So he called him and said to him, `What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your stewardship, for you can no longer be steward.' 3 Then the steward said within himself, `What shall I do? For my master is taking the stewardship away from me. I cannot dig; I am ashamed to beg. 4 `I have resolved what to do, that when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.' 5 So he called every one of his master's debtors to him, and said to the first, `How much do you owe my master?' 6 And he said, `A hundred measures of oil.' So he said to him, `Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.' 7 Then he said to another, `And how much do you owe?' So he said, `A hundred measures of wheat.' And he said to him, `Take your bill, and write eighty.' 8 So the master commended the unjust steward because he ha

d dealt shrewdly. For the sons of this world are more shrewd in their generation than the sons of light. 9 And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail, they may receive you into an everlasting home. 10 He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much. 11 Therefore if you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? 12 And if you have not been faithful in what is another man's, who will give you what is your own?. (Luke 16:1-12)
Martyrdom of St. Mohraeel.
Departure of St. Archiledis (Arselidas).
Departure of St. Maximus, Brother of St. Domadius (Domatius).

The Bible reading for the 15th of Toba, January 24th, is: Matthew 23:13-36
Departure of Obadiah, the Prophet.

Prayer Requests:

Pastor Youcef Nadarkhani - Awaiting execution in Iran
Aida E. - Liver Cancer.
Simon G. - Urinary tract disability and back problems.
Ibrahim - Lung cancer
Amal - Breast cancer
Wageh S.- Cancer and heart surgeries
George A. - Respiratory Problems.
Fr. Athanasius Ava Mina - Intestinal problems.
Huda S. - Peace and health.
The family of Mary R.
Rita P. - Ovarian Cancer
Julia M.S. - An infant with a lung deficiency disorder
Julie - In a coma from a serious car accident
Marian L - Late stage MS
Nadia - Lung cancer
Heidi - Difficulty to conceive
John - Brain aneurysm
Eva - Paralyzed from a stroke
Sonty P. - Suffering from cancer. Please pray for her healing and financial ability.
Lidya P. - Suffering from a stroke.
Rev. Davy P. - Suffering from hepatitis type B.
Somaya M. - Being tested for breast cancer.
Peter and family - inoperable grade 4 brain tumour
Eman, Hany and Daniel - Suffered serious injuries from a car accident
The family of Neveen M.
Emil S. - Open heart surgery.
Clement - Lung and liver cancer
M.M.- metabolic syndrome
Sherien - Cancer
Emad. Please pray for his family
Scott - Crones Disease
J. Shapiro - Cancer.
C.L. - Complete recovery after a tragic car accident.
M. Ragheb - Out of the ICU but he is still under critical care
M. Fleming - Multiple brain and spinal cord diseases.
Fr. Wissa Bessada
G. Roubil - Out of ICU
The Coptic mission trip to Mexico.
Camilo, Julio Renaldo, Diego and family, Hong and Pablo - Accept the faith and get baptized.
H.H. Pope Shenouda III
David - rectal and liver cancer.
The family of Larry W. - May the Lord grant them peace.
H.M - Hardship.
William H. - Cancer
Makram G. - Liver Cirrhosis in the last stages
Emad - Lung cancer.
Albert - Operation
Abanoub
Eva S - Recovery from a heart surgery.
M.B.- Breast Cancer
Mark - brain tumor
Fr. Anthony H.
Luka-- May God unite him with his family.
F.Z. may God help him in his service.
Tasony Esther, May God heal her and comfort her.
Akmal T. - Major heart surgery.
Amal M - Lymphoma Cancer.
Shery - Tumor near her spinal chord.
E.Salamah - Breast Cancer.
Mena - Displaced mandibular joint.
Esme - Severe lupus with heart & brain function involvement.
Yvone Y. - Serious Eye Surgery. The doctors now feel she might not need the surgery at all.
Anthony - PTSD from Iraq
Elisha Mary - return to Communion
E. - Brain tumor, 22 yrs old with 2 kids.
M. Chouinard and her family and students.
Sharon P - Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, PTSD
Jan P - pancreatic cancer
Becky Cox D - bone marrow cancer
Eric G - throat cancer
Samantha M - Type 1 diabetes
Amelia T - Breast Cancer
Anthony C - Kidney Stones
Emad: To be closer to God
Safa: To be closer to God
Badra: Comfort
Souzy: Guidance
Leelamma M - Please pray for her family.
Vladimir and Vaclav.
Steve - Depression.
M Said.
Viola - Pray for her soul and her family to know the Lord and understand HIS work
Sandy: God open her eyes, give her wisdom
Nicole: Wisdom
Hazem A. - Overcome his addiction, and gives him strength & will power.
Kip - Her spine is breaking down & will need surgery to have a rod inserted.
Katherine - Make right decisions as she enters adulthood.
Susan - Finds peace and overcome her suicidal thoughts.
Sue's family - Return, as a family, to our church and find peace.
Jacky A. and Family.
John D. - Job
L&M - Aspberger's syndrome
ME- return to God, the Church & the Sacraments
KEE - patience, perseverance, faith, strength, healing
Z. Saddak - Health
The Orthodox community in Olympia, WA

Please remember me in your prayers.

Please pray for the peace of the world.

Mark Sadek

Jan 23, 2012, 9:22:19 PM1/23/12
to spiritu...@googlegroups.com

"As the Holy Trinity, our God, is One Being, although Three Persons, so, likewise, we ourselves must be one. As our God is indivisible, we also must be indivisible, as though we were one man, one mind, one will, one heart, one goodness, without the smallest admixture of malice -- in a word, one pure love, as God is Love. 'That they may be one, even as We are One" (Jn. 17:22)."

St. John of Kronstadt.

"Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him, On those who hope in His mercy." Psalm 33:18

The Bible reading for the 15th of Toba, January 24th, is:
13 But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in. 14 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you devour widows' houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. Therefore you will receive greater condemnation. 15 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves. 16 Woe to you, blind guides, who say, `Whoever swears by the temple, it is nothing; but whoever swears by the gold of the temple, he is obliged to perform it.' 17 Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gold or the temple that sanctifies the gold? 18 And, `Whoever swears by the altar, it is nothing; but whoever swears by the gift that is on it, he is obliged to perform it.' 19 Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gift or the altar that sanctifies the gi

ft? 20 Therefore he who swears by the altar, swears by it and by all things on it. 21 He who swears by the temple, swears by it and by Him who dwells in it. 22 And he who swears by heaven, swears by the throne of God and by Him who sits on it. 23 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone. 24 Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel! 25 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence. 26 Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also. 27 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanne

ss. 28 Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness. 29 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30 and say, `If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.' 31 Therefore you are witnesses against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers' guilt. 33 Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell? 34 Therefore, indeed, I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city, 35 that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the alta

r. 36 Assuredly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation. (Matt. 23:13-36)

Departure of Obadiah, the Prophet.

The Bible reading for the 16th of Toba, January 25th, is: Luke 12:4-12
Martyrdom of St. Philotheus.
Departure of St. John IV, 48th Pope of Alexandria.

Mark Sadek

Jan 24, 2012, 10:26:40 PM1/24/12
to spiritu...@googlegroups.com

"One who claims to abide in Christ ought to walk as He walked. Would you follow Christ? Then be humble as He was humble. Do not scorn His lowliness if you want to reach His exaltation. Human sin made the road rough. Christ's resurrection leveled it. By passing over it Himself He transformed the narrowest of tracks into a royal highway. Two feet are needed to run along this highway; they are humility and charity. Everyone wants to get to the top -- well, the first step to take is humility. Why take strides that are too big for you -- do you want to fall instead of going up? Begin with the first step, humility, and you will already be climbing."

St. Caesarius of Arles.

"But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man's offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many." Romans 5:15

The Bible reading for the 16th of Toba, January 25th, is:
4 And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. 5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him! 6 Are not five sparrows sold for two copper coins? And not one of them is forgotten before God. 7 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. 8 Also I say to you, whoever confesses Me before men, him the Son of Man also will confess before the angels of God. 9 But he who denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God. 10 And anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but to him who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven. 11 Now when they bring you to the synagogues and magistrates and authorities, do not worry about how or what you should answer, or what you should say. 12 For the Holy Spirit wi

ll teach you in that very hour what you ought to say. (Luke 12:4-12)

Martyrdom of St. Philotheus.
Departure of St. John IV, 48th Pope of Alexandria.

The Bible reading for the 17th of Toba, January 26th, is: Luke 12:32-44
Departure of St. Maximus and St. Domatius (Domadius).
Departure of Anba Yusab, Bishop of Girga, known as El- Abbah.

Mark Sadek

Jan 25, 2012, 11:49:10 PM1/25/12
to spiritu...@googlegroups.com

"Only the perfect person, with a perfect conscience, a perfect mind, and perfect power, can have perfect love. Such a person is our God. What every man eagerly desires for his person is therefore that which exists in the person of his Creator. What all people value - love above all - that is therefore what the Creator is - Love. And so it has been from time immemorial to today and unto ages of ages."

St. Nikolai Velimirovic.

"But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy and not sacrifice.' For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance." Matthew 9:13

The Bible reading for the 17th of Toba, January 26th, is:
32 Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell what you have and give alms; provide yourselves money bags which do not grow old, a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches nor moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 35 Let your waist be girded and your lamps burning; 36 and you yourselves be like men who wait for their master, when he will return from the wedding, that when he comes and knocks they may open to him immediately. 37 Blessed are those servants whom the master, when he comes, will find watching. Assuredly, I say to you that he will gird himself and have them sit down to eat, and will come and serve them. 38 And if he should come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants. 39 But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his h

ouse to be broken into. 40 Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. 41 Then Peter said to Him, Lord, do You speak this parable only to us, or to all people? 42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his master will make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of food in due season? 43 Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. 44 Truly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all that he has. (Luke 12:32-44)

Departure of St. Maximus and St. Domatius (Domadius).
Departure of Anba Yusab, Bishop of Girga, known as El- Abbah.

The Bible reading for the 18th of Toba, January 27th, is: John 16:20-33
Departure of St. James, Bishop of Nisibis.

Mark Sadek

Jan 26, 2012, 9:38:45 PM1/26/12
to spiritu...@googlegroups.com

"Just as lightning presages thunder, so divine forgiveness is followed by the calming of the passions. This in its turn is accompanied by a foretaste of the blessedness held in store for us. There is no divine mercy or hope of dispassion for the soul that loves this world more than its Creator, and is attached to visible things and clings wholly to the pleasures and enjoyments of the flesh."

St. Theognostos.

"Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life." Galatians 6:7-8

The Bible reading for the 18th of Toba, January 27th, is:
20 Most assuredly, I say to you that you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice; and you will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will be turned into joy. 21 A woman, when she is in labor, has sorrow because her hour has come; but as soon as she has given birth to the child, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world. 22 Therefore you now have sorrow; but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you. 23 And in that day you will ask Me nothing. Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give you. 24 Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full. 25 These things I have spoken to you in figurative language; but the time is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figurative language, but I will tell you plainly about the Father. 26 In that day you will ask in My name, and I do not say to you that I shal

l pray the Father for you; 27 for the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me, and have believed that I came forth from God. 28 I came forth from the Father and have come into the world. Again, I leave the world and go to the Father. 29 His disciples said to Him, See, now You are speaking plainly, and using no figure of speech! 30 Now we are sure that You know all things, and have no need that anyone should question You. By this we believe that You came forth from God. 31 Jesus answered them, Do you now believe? 32 Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. 33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world. (John 16:20-33)

Departure of St. James, Bishop of Nisibis.

The Bible reading for the 19th of Toba, January 28th, is: Luke 21:12-19
The Discovery of the Relics of St. Abahor (Pihour) St. Bisoura (Pisoura) and their Mother Ampira (Asra).

The Bible reading for the 20th of Toba, January 29th, is: John 3:22-36
Departure of St. Prochorus, One of the Seventy Disciples.
The Consecration of the Church of St. John, the Owner of the Golden Gospel, and the Transfer of His Relics.
Martyrdom of Anba Behna (Bahnou) and Anba Kloag (Bagoug), the Priest.

Mark Sadek

Jan 29, 2012, 11:25:27 PM1/29/12
to spiritu...@googlegroups.com

"The signs accompanying grace are much joy, peace, love, and truth. Such truth impels man to seek truth. But the signs of sin are accompanied by turmoil, not joy and love toward God. Take the example of the plant endive. It looks like lettuce. But the latter is sweet, the former bitter. Also in the matter of grace, some things resemble truth, and then there is the very substance of truth. Similarly, there is the ray of the sun and the sun itself."

St. Macarius the Great.

"Therefore You are great, O Lord God. For there is none like You, nor is there any God besides You." 2 Samuel 7:22

The Bible reading for the 21st of Toba, January 30th, is:
39 Now Mary arose in those days and went into the hill country with haste, to a city of Judah, 40 and entered the house of Zacharias and greeted Elizabeth. 41 And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said, Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! 43 But why is this granted to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 For indeed, as soon as the voice of your greeting sounded in my ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy. 45 Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord. 46 And Mary said: My soul magnifies the Lord, 47 And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. 48 For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant; For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed. 49 For He who is mighty has done great things for me, And holy
is His name. 50 And His mercy is on those who fear Him From generation to generation. 51 He has shown strength with His arm; He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. 52 He has put down the mighty from their thrones, And exalted the lowly. 53 He has filled the hungry with good things, And the rich He has sent away empty. 54 He has helped His servant Israel, In remembrance of His mercy, 55 As He spoke to our fathers, To Abraham and to his seed forever. 56 And Mary remained with her about three months, and returned to her house. (Luke 1:39-56)
The Dormition of Our Lady, the Virgin Mary, the Theotokos.
Departure of St. Hilaria, Daughter of Emperor Zeno.
Departure of St. Gregorius (Gregory of Nyssa), Brother of St. Basil the Great.

The Bible reading for the 22nd of Toba, January 31st, is: Luke 12:32-44
Departure of St. Anthony the Great (Antonius).

Mark Sadek

Jan 30, 2012, 9:59:42 PM1/30/12
to spiritu...@googlegroups.com

"I saw the snares that the enemy spreads out over the world and I said groaning, "What can get through from such snares?" Then I heard a voice saying to me, "Humility." "

St. Anthony the Great.

"If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." Matthew 19:21

[...]

Departure of St. Anthony the Great, Anba Antonius.

The Bible reading for the 23rd of Toba, February 1st, is: Luke 16:20-33
Martyrdom of St. Timothy, the Apostle.
Departure of Pope Cyril IV (Kyrillos), 110th Pope of Alexandria.

Mark Sadek

Jan 31, 2012, 10:49:43 PM1/31/12
to spiritu...@googlegroups.com

"Do you see how the Lord created our nature to enjoy free will? I mean, how did it happen, tell me, that while those people showed enthusiasm for wickedness and rendered themselves liable to punishment, this man [Noe] opted for virtue, shunned association with those and thus felt no effect of punishment? Is it not crystal clear that each person chose wickedness or virtue of his own volition? You see, if that were not the case and independence did not have its roots in our nature, those people would not have been punished nor the others receive reward for their virtue. Since, however, everything has been allowed to remain with our choice owing to grace from on high, punishment duly awaits the sinners, and reward and recompense those who practice virtue."

St. John Chrysostom.

"Whoever has no rule over his own spirit Is like a city broken down, without walls." Proverbs 25:28

[...]

The Bible reading for the 24th of Toba, February 2nd, is: Matthew 25:1-13
Departure of St. Mary the Ascetic (The Shut-In).
Martyrdom of Anba Bisada (St. Psati), the Priest.