0.7 released, 0.8 is prepared

Ariya Hidayat

May 7, 2007, 9:57:38 AM5/7/07
to speed...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The final 0.7 version of SpeedCrunch has been released. Get it while
it's hot, go to http://code.google.com/p/speedcrunch/downloads/list
for source tarball, Win32 installer (thanks to Johan), and Mac OS X
bundle (thanks to Matthew). Binary packages are available already for
Fedora, Gentoo, Debian (unstable), and OpenSUSE. Check your distro
package repository.

Development continues now for the upcoming 0.8 series. Here are some highlights:

* Support for other radix systems: hexadecimal, octal and binary
(thanks to Thomas Lübking). This is the most wanted feature. Hopefully
now you don't need other desktop calculator :-)

* Fully Qt4-ified. There is no need for Qt3 support library anymore.
This will significantly reduce the binary package size for Win32 and
Mac OS X (as we don't need to deliver some libraries anymore).

* Support for some important constants (in physics world). With the
keyboard, try Ctrl+Space and enjoy the animation :-)

* Non-modal, dockable/floatable lists to display built-in functions,
variables, constants, and history. In some cases, there is
filtering/search-as-you-type. Use menu Settings to show/hide these
dock widgets.

* Factorial operator, try e.g. "5!"

* Option to minimize to system tray

* Flexible choices for decimal point: follow the locale settings,
always use dot, OR always use comma.

* Some new functions: MIN, MAX, SUM, PRODUCT, AVERAGE, GEOMEAN, SIGN,
DEGREES, RADIANS, LG

* "Tip of the day". Try it from the Help menu. At the moment, there
are not so many tips yet.

To get the development version, go to
http://code.google.com/p/speedcrunch/source, check out the source and
follow the instructions in INSTALL.txt. PLEASE do some tests and
report bugs/annoyances (use
http://code.google.com/p/speedcrunch/issues/list).

Comments and feedbacks are welcomed. Personally I feel the changes
above are enough already to justify branching to version 0.8. I hope
we could prepare some beta releases soon so that SpeedCrunch 0.8 gets
included in Kubuntu 7.10.

Also, last but not least, the official website is now speedcrunch.org.

Have fun !

--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ariyahidayat
http://www.google.com/search?q=ariya+hidayat&btnI

ransom82

May 7, 2007, 2:20:50 PM5/7/07
to speed...@googlegroups.com
The file doesn't seem to be uploaded yet.

Ariya Hidayat

May 7, 2007, 2:28:10 PM5/7/07
to speed...@googlegroups.com
> The file doesn't seem to be uploaded yet.

Which file ? All 0.7 related files are available.

For 0.8, you still need to wait. Or you can compile from the source.

ransom82

May 7, 2007, 2:30:55 PM5/7/07
to speed...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I mis-read the features and assumed that this version would
support factorial.