SPDY on Google servers?

SyP

Jan 18, 2011, 1:10:32 PM1/18/11
to spdy-dev
Hello,

I recently experimented with chrome://net-internals/#events&q=type:SPDY_SESSION%20is:active
in Chrome and noticed that

1) Chrome's stable version utilizes SPDY
2) almost all Google service I tried to access with https is actually
using SPDY (Gmail, Search, Chrome Sync, Ads etc.).

If my facts are correct, I don't really understand why don't they have
more publicity. It's cool as... something very cool!

Also, since what version of Chrome is the SPDY lib compiled in?

Thanks,
SyP

Mike Belshe

Jan 19, 2011, 11:24:54 AM1/19/11
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
Yes, indeed SPDY is enabled in Chrome and on Google servers for all SSL traffic at this point.  (Actually, we do 90% on SPDY, with a 10% holdback for purposes of A/B comparisons).

We're currently analyzing the traffic and making small tweaks.  We'll publish results when we can.

Mike

SyP

Jan 19, 2011, 12:58:45 PM1/19/11
to spdy-dev
Thank you, it's very interesting. I hope SPDY will be available in
other browsers and servers, soon.
Cheers,
SyP

Robert Stupp

Mar 2, 2011, 7:33:37 AM3/2/11
to spdy-dev
Hi Mike,

cool!

I just compared FF4b12 and Chrome. On "normal" HTTP sites, both
browsers are very fast. But when traffic uses SPDY with Google servers
(e.g. Google Maps), it's amazingly fast.

Robert

Mike Belshe

Mar 2, 2011, 7:40:28 AM3/2/11
to spdy...@googlegroups.com, Robert Stupp
On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Robert Stupp <robert...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi Mike,

cool!

I just compared FF4b12 and Chrome. On "normal" HTTP sites, both
browsers are very fast. But when traffic uses SPDY with Google servers
(e.g. Google Maps), it's amazingly fast.

Thanks for the kind words -

I wish SPDY could take credit for that - but maps is still just HTTP.  So that's just chrome being chrome... :-)

Mike

Robert Stupp

Mar 2, 2011, 7:56:59 AM3/2/11
to spdy-dev
Oops - I should have taken a look into the events log before writing
(shame on me) ;-)
I just saw that there are SPDY sessions to maps server URLs.

Mike Belshe

Mar 2, 2011, 8:07:48 AM3/2/11
On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 4:56 AM, Robert Stupp <robert...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Oops - I should have taken a look into the events log before writing
(shame on me) ;-)
I just saw that there are SPDY sessions to maps server URLs.

Ok!  Well, if that is the case, then my information must be dated :-)  Things move fast around here :-)

Mike

Robert Stupp

Mar 2, 2011, 8:31:25 AM3/2/11
to spdy-dev
Maps is using SPDY :-)
not all requests - but map images use SSL/SPDY.

(P) t=1299072445021 [st= 0] +URL_REQUEST_START_JOB
[dt=31]
--> load_flags = 65536
(VERIFY_EV_CERT)
--> method = "GET"
--> priority = 3
--> url = "https://mts0.google.com/vt/
lyrs=m@145&hl=en&x=34034&s=&y=21935&z=16&s=Galil"
(P) t=1299072445021 [st= 0]
SPDY_SESSION_POOL_FOUND_EXISTING_SESSION
--> session = {"id":419,"type":6}
(P) t=1299072445021 [st= 0] HTTP_TRANSACTION_SEND_REQUEST [dt=
0]