Wine, msconvert and RAW

msykes

Nov 17, 2010, 1:49:24 PM11/17/10
to spctools-discuss
I've successfully got msconvert running under Wine, converting .d
to .mzML. Unfortunately, I've run into problems trying to
convert .raw to .mzML

This post suggests that it is possible:

http://groups.google.com/group/spctools-discuss/browse_thread/thread/604745729ac0e541

However, I consistently get the following error:

processing file: JW-11.raw
[ThermoRawFile] [RawFile::ctor] Unable to initialize XRawfile; is
MSFileReader installed?
Error processing file JW-11.raw

Any thoughts? This is using the latest version of pwiz (2_0_1905),
which seems to include the appropriate dll files:
MSFileReader.XRawfile2.dll
MSFileReader.XRawfile2.SxS.manifest
Interop.DataExplorer.dll
Interop.EDAL.dll
Interop.EDAL.SxS.manifest
Interop.MSFileReaderLib.dll

So it's not clear to me if this is a complete incompatibility with
Wine (the above-referenced posts suggests it not), or if I just need
to get the .dll files to be found. I have tried copying them to the
working directory with the same results.

Thanks for any suggestions,

msykes

Angel

Nov 18, 2010, 11:27:26 AM11/18/10
to spctools-discuss
I've actually given up on this. You need the wine 1.3 beta version to
get the required dot net libs installed, and when converting RAW files
I get some weird segfaults. Sometimes it works and sometimes not,
using the same machine, the same RAW file, etc.

In short, not that great an experience and I personally would not rely
on it. Right now, I just run a local VM or AWS windows box with pwiz
installed to convert files. Slower than bare metal but it works.

You can try CrossOver, commercial company that does a better job of
packaging wine environments into a "bottle", to see if this is more
stable. They have a beta period and for $20 per license, if it works
more stable, this is definitely worth it.

-angel

On Nov 17, 1:49 pm, msykes <michael.sy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've successfully got msconvert running under Wine, converting .d
> to .mzML.  Unfortunately, I've run into problems trying to
> convert .raw to .mzML
>
> This post suggests that it is possible:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/spctools-discuss/browse_thread/thread/...

Angel

Nov 18, 2010, 11:30:10 AM11/18/10
to spctools-discuss
woops crossover is $40. Still cheap http://www.codeweavers.com/

msykes

Nov 19, 2010, 1:35:45 PM11/19/10
to spctools-discuss
Ah, too bad. The .d -> mzML works great, so I had really gotten my
hopes up for .raw. I'll look into a VM, or just plain converting the
machine into a Windows box. Thanks for the reply,

msykes