Spatialite GUI and GIS compilation

Xavier RAFFIN

Oct 22, 2010, 9:51:37 AM10/22/10
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Hi spatialite users !

I have build spatialite on an RHEL 5 and I must change source code in
order to compile.

Librairies availables on RHEL/CentOS repos are very old and I was
obliged to compile a lot of ones.

The errors are all like this one. (max 10 occurence)

ClassifyDlgs.cpp:41: error: conversion from ‘int’ to ‘const
wxTreeItemId’ is ambiguous
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/treebase.h:75: note: candidates are:
wxTreeItemId::wxTreeItemId(long int)
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/treebase.h:59: note:
wxTreeItemId::wxTreeItemId(void*)

I solved the issue changing :

CurrentItem = NULL;

by

CurrentItem = wxTreeItemId();

I am not sure that but the applications GUI and GIS works with that change.

Maybe it could be a good idea to change source code in that way ?

Regards,
Xavier

a.furieri

Oct 22, 2010, 10:14:05 AM10/22/10
to SpatiaLite Users
Hi Xavier,

a general consideration first of all:
using RHEL/CentOS isn't at all a good idea,
if your main interest is in GIS.

too many fundamental packages are missing
(or are really obsolescent) on these distros:
the only one Linux distro seriously supporting
GIS packages is Debian (or Ubuntu, that after
all basically is a Debian clone).

I personally manage a CentOS 5 server (www.gaia-gis.it),
but since long time I'm accustomed to build everything
by myself starting from sources (libproj, libgeos,
libgeotiff, libtiff, wxWidgets ...), because the standard
system packages are so obsolete to be quite useless.

wxWidgets support is critical (most notably
for Spatialite-GIS), because the standard package
doesn't supports at all "advanced" graphics.

If you already had detected some issues when
attempting to build Spatialite-GUI you'll soon
discover that building Spatialite-GIS is simply
impossible.

Unless you'll build by yourself the latest
wxWidgets 2.8.11 from sources.
Just in case, you must use the following
settings:

../configure --disable-shared --disable-debug \
--enable-unicode --enable-graphics_ctx

bye Sandro

Xavier RAFFIN

Oct 22, 2010, 11:54:19 AM10/22/10
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sandro,

It is working.

I will talk to my Boss about your opinion on Redhat distros ;-)
(opinion I shared with you)

Xavier

2010/10/22 a.furieri <a.fu...@lqt.it>:

a.furieri

Nov 5, 2010, 9:30:40 AM11/5/10
to SpatiaLite Users
Hi Xavier,

the next-to-come Spatialite GUI v.1.4.0 will now
support a completely standard ./configure

and this means you'll be able to perform a Linux build
directly starting from the system libraries (admitting they
aren't too much obsolete).

old-styled Makefiles will be maintained as well,
for users willing to perform an "all-static" build.

obviously the same is for the next-to-come
Spatialite GIS

bye Sandro