Syncing SpatiaLite Data To Mobile

Kruddler

Jan 10, 2010, 5:59:54 PM1/10/10
to SpatiaLite Users
Hello,

I'm new to SpatiaLite and am investigating possible solutions to a
problem we have.

We are currently using Sql CE as our database and ShapeFiles for our
GIS data. This works fine but ShapeFiles are becoming unmanageable
because the shape files are too large for our users to download on to
their devices.

We want to store the data in the SpatiaLite system. However, we also
need some mechanism for syncing data from the central system (perhaps
ESRI, MapInfo, etc) to a mobile device with a SpatiaLite database.

Is there a syncing framework/service that will work with SpatiaLite/
SqlLite?

What I mean by a syncing framework/service is a method by which we can
achieve two way syncing of GIS data to and from a central source/
mobile device.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Christian

a.furieri

Jan 11, 2010, 4:28:50 AM1/11/10
to SpatiaLite Users
Hi Christian,

AFAIK there is nothing like what you are searching for.

The only (vaguely related) tool I know covering this
application field is the GDAL ogr2ogr, supporting
data transfer from/to others spatial data sources
[mainly PostgreSQL+PostGIS]

bye,
Sandro

KCB

Jan 11, 2010, 6:00:48 AM1/11/10
to SpatiaLite Users
Hi,

the Java-based gvsig mobile project links to the Tellus project, which
use the openmobileIS. You might find more infos there, I'm not sure
how they store the data on the mobile device:

http://gvsigmobileonopenmoko.wordpress.com/
http://tellusproject.blogspot.com/
http://www.openmobileis.org/

Equivalent automated syncing of SpatiaLite data with a server-hosted
(pref. PostgreSQL/PostGIS) environment would be MUCH appreciated from
the community, I suppose :-)

Cheers
Kai

Noli Sicad

Jan 11, 2010, 6:17:46 AM1/11/10
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Android and ipod touch and iphone use sqlite. See this site (below) if
might be useful to you.

http://mylifewithandroid.blogspot.com/2008/02/synchronization-in-android.html

Noli

Andrea P.

Jan 12, 2010, 12:12:04 PM1/12/10
to SpatiaLite Users

You can try with gdal/ogr
the ogr2ogr utility can transfer data from postgres/postgis to sqlite/
spite using
the 2.3.1 version of splite library.

Andrea.

On 11 Gen, 12:00, KCB <kaisc...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the Java-based gvsig mobile project links to the Tellus project, which
> use the openmobileIS. You might find more infos there, I'm not sure
> how they store the data on the mobile device:
>

> http://gvsigmobileonopenmoko.wordpress.com/http://tellusproject.blogspot.com/http://www.openmobileis.org/

jldominguez

Jan 25, 2010, 7:52:59 AM1/25/10
to SpatiaLite Users
Hello, Christian.

I'm curious about your problem. A few questions:

Which software are clients using in their devices?
What type of devices are those?
smartphones like HTC, etc? PDA?
Java-enabled phones like Nokia N71, etc?
Can you explain the workflow a bit?
What is the size of the data you are talking about?

Regards,
Juan Lucas