a possible solution to the 10.4.9+ EULA DMG issue

Rudy Richter

Sep 7, 2007, 1:36:16 PM9/7/07
to spark...@googlegroups.com
This one seems to have been lost in the shuffle from mantis on ironcoder to google code, this is the original description from the previous mailing list in case anyone wants to reference the problem description.  The solution i came up with is kind of hackish but it works.  The included patch adds 3 steps to extracting a dmg, it unflattens the dmg in order to get access to the resource fork, removes the 4 resource types associated with the SLA, and flattens the image.  I haven't implemented throwing up a dialog for the user to agree to, but it would certainly be possible to add (for those that need the user to see this agreement).

"Hi all,

First off, this bug has been entered into Sparkle's Trac db:

http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/ticket/10

I have ascertained (with Tom's help) that this is the result of a change in 10.4.9. In 10.4.9, hdiutil attach now shows the SLA in the terminal and awaits a response and exits with a non-zero error code which causes Sparkle to fail.

The workaround I am/will be using is to create two dmgs, one with the SLA for manual downloads and one without for Sparkle specifically.  Others who are seeing this problem should do something similar.

As for a more permanent fix, here are the  options I see:

1. Drive the terminal session. Tom sent me a little test that hit "y" but it still seemed to fail. This needs to be played with more.

2. Strip the SLA out by unflattening the dmg, scraping the SLA stuff out of the resource fork, and re-flattening it. Note that you can't nuke the resource fork outright. There is stuff in there that is needed.

3. Strip out the SLA by converting to a format that does not support SLAs (this was suggested by Jonathan Wight).

4. Not support SLAs in DMGs. There is a whole separate argument for this. However flawed it may be, I feel that it's the common mechanism in use now and it should be supported even if you yourself will not use it. There is also a segment that doesn't like DMGs either but I don't think taking DMG support out is the way to go.

So, basically, I'm mailing both to save time for those who are hitting this bug without knowing why (the entry in trac is misleading and it won't let me add to it) and also to maybe get the ball rolling as to how to address this.

Paul Kim
------------------------------------
Chief Noodler - Noodlesoft
mr_n...@noodlesoft.com
http://www.noodlesoft.com "
eula_strip.patch

Rudy Richter

Sep 7, 2007, 7:28:26 PM9/7/07
to SparklePlus
i'm going to now reply to my own post. if you pass "-agent safari-
gatekeeper" to the attach step it will skip the EULA, unfortunately
the word on the street is that its not guaranteed to remain a valid
way of suppressing the EULA in future OS updates, so i guess my
previous patch still stands.

-rudy