Please read: Information on events deleted from Google Calendar

Larry Hendricks

Oct 27, 2007, 4:34:32 PM10/27/07
to Spanning Sync
Hi,

A few users have reported that events disappeared from Google Calendar
after using version 1.1 of the software. We think we've identified the
source of the problem: if you turn on "do not sync events older than"
so that you don't sync events older than N days AND you do a reset
choosing "Replace info on Google Calendar", then you lose information
on Google that's older than N days. This would include all recurring
events that began more than N days ago.

We're working on a patch for this right now. Until then, avoid using
the "Replace info on Google Calendar" function if aged event filtering
is on. Also, if this happened to you *without* doing those two things,
please notify us at sup...@spanningsync.com.

Thanks
--
Larry Hendricks
la...@spanningsync.com

DaveCox

Oct 27, 2007, 5:08:44 PM10/27/07
to Spanning Sync
Um. This doesn't explain my lost data at all. I didn't do any kind
of explicit reset, and my "Advanced" preferences shows that "Do not
sync events older than..." is unchecked. I understand that this kind
of syncing is a hard problem to solve, but I'm worried that you guys
have deeper issues, and the cost of making mistakes in this area is
potentially VERY high.

Ugh. What a nightmare.

On Oct 27, 4:34 pm, Larry Hendricks <larh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few users have reported that events disappeared from Google Calendar
> after using version 1.1 of the software. We think we've identified the
> source of the problem: if you turn on "do not sync events older than"
> so that you don't sync events older than N days AND you do a reset
> choosing "Replace info on Google Calendar", then you lose information
> on Google that's older than N days. This would include all recurring
> events that began more than N days ago.
>
> We're working on a patch for this right now. Until then, avoid using
> the "Replace info on Google Calendar" function if aged event filtering
> is on. Also, if this happened to you *without* doing those two things,

> please notify us at supp...@spanningsync.com.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Larry Hendricks
> la...@spanningsync.comhttp://spanningsync.com

Larry Hendricks

Oct 27, 2007, 7:13:18 PM10/27/07
to Spanning Sync
Here's the latest on this problem.

Thanks to some very helpful users, we've examined several sync logs
and now understand the nature of the problem. Although my above
statement is true -- don't try to "replace info on google" while using
"don't sync events older than N days" -- it's not the cause of the
problem for the users we've worked with. Instead, what we're seeing is
that upon upgrading to Leopard and syncing for the first time, Apple
Sync Services sends a "delete" command for every event in every
calendar being sunc.

This only happens to those who upgrade to Leopard *before* upgrading
to Spanning Sync v1.1. That's because of a handy new feature in v1.1
that warns you before deleting more than five events in either
direction (the warning can be turned off). When upgrading to Leopard
first, Spanning Sync v1.0.x syncs and dutifully deletes all the events
sent from Apple Sync Services as deleted.

So, to avoid this problem:
* Make a backup of iCal. It's good practice and it's easy-- select
Backup iCal from the File menu
* If possible, upgrade to Spanning Sync v1.1 BEFORE upgrading to
Leopard and DON'T allow a sync with lots of deletes to continue
* Don't try to "replace info on google" while using "don't sync events
older than N days"

We've reported the problem to Apple (the bug # is 5563547, FWIW) and
will keep you updated as we know more.

On Oct 27, 1:34 pm, Larry Hendricks <larh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few users have reported that events disappeared from Google Calendar
> after using version 1.1 of the software. We think we've identified the
> source of the problem: if you turn on "do not sync events older than"
> so that you don't sync events older than N days AND you do a reset
> choosing "Replace info on Google Calendar", then you lose information
> on Google that's older than N days. This would include all recurring
> events that began more than N days ago.
>
> We're working on a patch for this right now. Until then, avoid using
> the "Replace info on Google Calendar" function if aged event filtering
> is on. Also, if this happened to you *without* doing those two things,

Klunsa

Oct 28, 2007, 12:06:29 PM10/28/07
to Spanning Sync
Yes that's all very helpfull - if I would have known BEFORE upgrading
to Leopard. Now that I don't have my calendar data anymore it doesnt
help!!

Please help me getting my data back - it is very important...

Cheers
BEat

> la...@spanningsync.comhttp://spanningsync.com

shearm

Oct 28, 2007, 1:31:33 PM10/28/07
to Spanning Sync
ok. what do we do if we upgraded to leopard first? how do we fix it?

> la...@spanningsync.comhttp://spanningsync.com

Ronald Heft

Oct 28, 2007, 2:07:50 PM10/28/07
to Spanning Sync
Yeah, I would like to know also. Every time I reenabled Spanning Sync,
all my events are deleted without a prompt. Thankfully Time Machine
has been able to restore them, but I'd like to get this working.

Larry Hendricks

Oct 28, 2007, 2:37:47 PM10/28/07
to Spanning Sync
According to my contact at Apple, Leopard *should* be requesting a
"refresh" sync the first time, but for some reason it isn't (we're
still investigating). You can force a "refresh" sync to occur by
resetting Spanning Sync:

* Open the pref pane
* Click the Reset... button
* Select "Reset info on this computer"
* Click OK
* Sync

That should stop the delete cycle from happening.

bone...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2007, 3:01:49 PM10/28/07
to Spanning Sync
I updated to Leopard first
All of calendar entries were gone!
Then I googled and found out about the problem and update available.
(Not the best order for things to happen)
So I uninstalled my 1.0.x version
Installed the new 1.1 version
Set up the calendars
Press reset
Sync.... .... .... Eventually (after 30 minutes) I get a dialog
that says I am about to sync for the first time. So since I've
restored my iCal I say that I want to replace everything on google.
again with the waiting... again another dialog telling me I'm going
to sync for the first time.... repeat

I've been at this all day.

This is really frustrating as I just had emailed all my advisees to
look at my calendar and email me a time when we could meet for
registration.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Brad

On Oct 28, 1:37 pm, Larry Hendricks <larh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> According to my contact at Apple, Leopard *should* be requesting a
> "refresh" sync the first time, but for some reason it isn't (we're
> still investigating). You can force a "refresh" sync to occur by
> resetting Spanning Sync:
>
> * Open the pref pane
> * Click the Reset... button
> * Select "Reset info on this computer"
> * Click OK
> * Sync
>
> That should stop the delete cycle from happening.
> --
> Larry Hendricks

> la...@spanningsync.comhttp://spanningsync.com

Larry Hendricks

Oct 28, 2007, 3:45:41 PM10/28/07
to Spanning Sync
Hi Brad,

The sync is never completing so each time it thinks this is the first
sync again. If you send a troubleshooting report to
sup...@spanningsync.com we can probably tell why it's failing.

Also, if you're just looking to get your iCal information back into
Google Calendars, you can quickly do that by exporting the iCal
calendar to a file, and then import that file into Google:

* In iCal, select the affected calendar, then "Export" from the File
menu
* Save the file to your desktop
* In Google Calendars on the left above "My Calendars" is an Add popup
menu. Select "Import Calendar" from it.
* "Choose" the file on your desktop, then select the calendar you want
to import to. Be aware that any events that still exist in both places
will be duplicated so you might want to make a fresh calendar for
this.
* Click Import

bone...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2007, 5:05:58 PM10/28/07
to Spanning Sync

On Oct 28, 2:45 pm, Larry Hendricks <larh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> The sync is never completing so each time it thinks this is the first
> sync again. If you send a troubleshooting report to

> supp...@spanningsync.com we can probably tell why it's failing.

OK, I did that. It does appear that it is transferring most or all of
the calendar entries to my google calendar. But SpanningSync still
seems to think that it is failing.

> Also, if you're just looking to get your iCal information back into
> Google Calendars, you can quickly do that by exporting the iCal
> calendar to a file, and then import that file into Google:
>
> * In iCal, select the affected calendar, then "Export" from the File
> menu
> * Save the file to your desktop
> * In Google Calendars on the left above "My Calendars" is an Add popup
> menu. Select "Import Calendar" from it.
> * "Choose" the file on your desktop, then select the calendar you want
> to import to. Be aware that any events that still exist in both places
> will be duplicated so you might want to make a fresh calendar for
> this.
> * Click Import

Thanks, I think I got most everything restored.

Brad

BKLA

Nov 5, 2007, 10:30:12 AM11/5/07
to Spanning Sync
Well

I got the info about upgrading Spanning Sync Before Upgrading to
Leopard - AFTER I already upgraded to Leopard.

I keep getting Messages are about to be deleted messages and My ical
Calander is missing a lot of of my Appointments
It also seems that my computer i slowing down - I triy to open system
preferences and I get the spinning beach ball.

I'm not even sure how to begin to fix this.

Can Some one help me ?

> la...@spanningsync.comhttp://spanningsync.com

tonemcd

Nov 5, 2007, 11:05:25 AM11/5/07
to Spanning Sync
I'm in the same position of upgrading to Leopard before upgrading
SS...at the moment, I'm using iCal and have turned off Spanning Sync.

To get around your spinning beach ball, you can kill the Spanning Sync
process (use Activity Monitor in Applications/Utilities).

Charlie from Spanning Sync is going to post something on the blog and
(hopefully here as well). I'm rather hoping he's got the definitive
answer on what to do next, all my efforts have been based on
guesswork!

Cheers,
Tone

cwood

Nov 5, 2007, 11:29:05 AM11/5/07
to Spanning Sync
The immediate answer to the repeated requests to delete events is to
make sure you've upgraded to v1.1.2 (http://spanningsync.com/
download). If get that notification after cancelingthe sync with
v1.1.2, please perform a client reset ("Reset...", "Reset info on this
computer"). if the problem persists, please create a problem report
(by opening Spanning Sync, clicking "Advanced..." and "Create report")
and email it to us at sup...@spanningsync.com along with a detailed
description of the problem. That will help us track down the issue.

As for deleted events, the 1.0.5 + Leopard bug resulted in all events
being deleted from synchronized caalendars. (The first thing Leopard
Sync Services did after the upgrade was tell us to delete all events.)
If you've experienced this problem, please lst us know so we can guide
you through the restore procedure.

A different problem is affecting Leopard users where successfully
synchronized events are simply not displayed by iCal. They're in the
Sync Services database, and will sync to other apps and devices like
the iPhone, but for some reason iCal 3.0 chooses not to display them.
We're investigating this, and hope to have a fix from Apple soon.

In any case, if you run into any problems the best thing to do is
create a report and send it in to sup...@spanningsync.com, along with
as much detail as you can provide about the problem.

Thanks,
Charlie