Endless syncing

Nich Bull

Nov 30, 2007, 6:22:11 PM11/30/07
to Spanning Sync
I had been pleased with this utility, but now it simply doesn't work.
I am running latest leopard and latest copy of spanning sync and it
just endlessly appears to sync but never gets anyway. Any ideas? This
utility should come with a massive health leopard health warning!

cwood

Dec 1, 2007, 8:18:35 AM12/1/07
to Spanning Sync
Nich,

Please create a problem report (by opening Spanning Sync, clicking
"Advanced..." and "Create report") and email it to us at
sup...@spanningsync.com along with a description of the problem. That
will help us track down the issue.

There are problems with Leopard iCal that haave been causing problems
for Spanning Sync users, and we've posted highlighted notices
everywhere we can think of: this discussion group (see the top of the
front page), the blog, the web site, and the purchase page. If you can
think of anywhere we could post this notice so that more people would
see it (without spamming anyone) I'd be happy to do so.

Thanks,
Charlie

Nich Bull

Dec 1, 2007, 1:50:29 PM12/1/07
to Spanning Sync
Have done this now, look forward to hearing your thoughts. Maybe if
you change your website to say that leopard compliance is very much at
a beta stage?

Nich

ambergino

Dec 2, 2007, 6:59:29 AM12/2/07
to Spanning Sync
I've been using SpanningSync 1.1.3 with Leopard for a few weeks with
great success, and I think many others have too. So to make a blanket
web page statement that it doesn't work well/is beta with Leopard is
incorrect.

I hope you're able to get help with your problems. I did a backup of
my iCal, and then when I installed 1.1.3, I did the following: A)
selected the option to not sync calendars older than 15 days and B)
did a reset of my Google calendars first. After the first long sync,
and maybe a second slow one, I've been having very fast
synchronizations.

Larry Hendricks

Dec 2, 2007, 9:48:23 PM12/2/07
to Spanning Sync
Nich contacted us offline. The problem, or at least one very big
problem, was that the Apple Sync Services database on his computer had
become damaged and needed to be replaced. We don't touch this
database, but unfortunately Apple's software seems to occasionally
corrupt it as evidenced by errors in system.log such as

*** -[NSKeyedUnarchiver initForReadingWithData:]: incomprehensible
archive (0xffffffa1, 0x20, 0x69, 0x12, 0xffffffcf, 0x15, 0xffffffdb,
0x68)

For reference, here are the steps we recommend to resolve a damaged
Apple Sync Services database:

* If you haven't done so lately, make a backup of your iCal calendars
(iCal File menu > Back up iCal)
* Quit out of all open programs
* Make sure that nothing is syncing (Spanning Sync, .Mac, iSync)
* Move this folder to the trash: ~/Library/Application Support/
SyncServices
* Restart
* Open iCal and give it a few minutes to write out the new database

--
Larry Hendricks
la...@spanningsync.com