What about the birthday contact ?

lau

Sep 11, 2008, 7:52:08 AM9/11/08
to Spanning Sync
Hello,

in gmail, there is no birthday...
So with multiple macs, how to sync the birthday in a contact ?

Thank you

cwood

Sep 11, 2008, 9:09:58 AM9/11/08
to Spanning Sync
Lau-

Contact birthdays aren't synchronized in v2.0, but if enough people
want it we could add it to a future version. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks,
Charlie

lau

Sep 11, 2008, 9:15:36 AM9/11/08
to Spanning Sync
i'm in ! If it's possible 'cause google do not show birthday in gmail
contacts

Maarten den Braber

Sep 11, 2008, 9:25:24 AM9/11/08
to Spanning Sync
I would love to see that feature. The ultimate goal would even be that
I can automatically get my contacts' birthdays directly into Google
Calendar (for now I'm using Dates-to-Ical). But yes, I would love that
feature, could we than also ask Google to add is at a field in
Contacts? :-)

cwood

Sep 11, 2008, 9:38:06 AM9/11/08
to Spanning Sync
Maarten-

Even though Google doesn't directly support birthdays for contacts, we
should be able to use an extended property for this.

Note that you can already get birthdays from Address Book (AB) into
Google Calendar by enabling the AB birthdays calendar in iCal (iCal >
Preferences > Show birthdays calendar) and then syncing that calendar
with a Google calendar.

Thanks,
Charlie

Maarten den Braber

Sep 11, 2008, 9:46:01 AM9/11/08
to Spanning Sync
Charlie,

Thanks for the tip. I know the AB setting, but I don't like the
display format it uses (I like First name Last name: Age) therefore I
use (Dates 2 Ical). Would be great if you could an extended property.
Would that than also be editable/visible in Google Contacts?

cwood

Sep 11, 2008, 9:51:34 AM9/11/08
to Spanning Sync
Google doesn't currently allow viewing or editing of any extended
properties, or for that matter a bunch of their own properties. I
expect their contact manager to mature rapidly though.

Thanks,
Charlie

lau

Sep 11, 2008, 12:20:16 PM9/11/08
to Spanning Sync
just to know (maybe i'll do the test...) :
if you have two mac, "A" & "B", on the "A" you put birthday then you
sync with google.
After you sync with the "B". What's happening with birthday on the
"B" ? Are the lost ?

Maarten den Braber

Sep 11, 2008, 12:19:15 PM9/11/08
to Spanning Sync
Thanks for the tip - didn't know that one yet. I think the biggest
problem is the changing age, which has to be computer depending on
what year you view the 'appointment' in. Currently Dates-to-Ical is
simply doing that in a static way.

mistert2

Sep 12, 2008, 8:19:47 AM9/12/08
to Spanning Sync