Visit to our potential/almost-certain new home....this Sat 11am

Dermot Jones

Sep 11, 2014, 7:32:48 AM9/11/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Right,

We're in the advanced stages of securing a new long-term home!

Can I hear you say YEAH!?

I can't hear you...But that's probably a limitation of Google Groups...

So: it's a large railway arch in the Bath Factory Estate, almost directly behind our old temporary home on Norwood Road.

The space has now been cleared out and we've arranged a viewing for this Saturday at 11am.

All welcome: we'll be doing a fair bit of measuring, diagnosing, assessing, imagining...

We'll put a report here for those who can't make it of course.

So, who's coming?

Dermot.

Ben Heartland

Sep 11, 2014, 11:09:57 AM9/11/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
YEAH!

Nice work. I'll pop over on Saturday.

Ben

Dermot.

mob: +44 7 506 847 171

Tom Newsom

Sep 11, 2014, 11:39:41 AM9/11/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I'll definitely be there. Will try and borrow the laser measure from work to make quick work of the survey.

Sarah Barber

Sep 11, 2014, 3:32:27 PM9/11/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Yes! See ya there

Andreas Varotsis

Sep 11, 2014, 4:45:14 PM9/11/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Great job!  I think I should be able to make it :)

Jan Evetts

Sep 11, 2014, 11:33:16 PM9/11/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
YEAH! (from Costa Rica).
Please post occasional progress pics.

Gordon Endersby

Sep 15, 2014, 7:35:42 AM9/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

How did the site visit go?
Does it look better now its cleared?
Any surprisingly good impressions?
Better than asking for the negatives i thought.

Gordon

Tom Newsom

Sep 15, 2014, 7:47:37 AM9/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
>_< Didn't upload the photos and didn't bring my camera in to work.

Will get them online this evening

Short version: Yes it looks better. We reckon the back half should be brought up to a usable condition first, as it has the smoothest floor. Lots of options/strategies to be discussed.

Gordon Endersby

Sep 15, 2014, 8:06:13 AM9/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Great.
Looking forward to seeing it soon.
What are the time scales involved at the moment?

Tom Newsom

Sep 15, 2014, 8:08:17 AM9/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Planned handover date of 1st October. Not set in stone.

Gordon Endersby

Sep 15, 2014, 8:09:40 AM9/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Brilliant, just a few weeks.

Gordon

Sarah Barber

Sep 15, 2014, 9:07:59 AM9/15/14
to Tom Newsom, southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Here are a few of pics I took on Saturday. The last 2 are of the back extension

Sarah

Sep 15, 2014, 9:56:57 AM9/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

It does look drier.
Is the sofa included?
Thevexisting structures could be useful.

Gordon

Tom Newsom

Sep 15, 2014, 10:11:58 AM9/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Everything will be removed (including the forklift)

Rich Maynard

Sep 15, 2014, 2:53:04 PM9/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Sad face. A forklift would be fun.

RichM.

Tom Newsom

Sep 15, 2014, 3:04:00 PM9/15/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Here's a hoofing great big panorama

Inline images 2

We'll re-line the areas that get moisture coming through (ie. where it's stained black) and scrub down the rest.

The front half has a rather rough floor, but the rear is pretty smooth and just needs a little filling and grinding.

Accurate floor plan incoming.

On 15 September 2014 19:53, Rich Maynard <richjm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sad face. A forklift would be fun.

RichM.

Tom Newsom

Sep 16, 2014, 6:07:25 AM9/16/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Here's a floor plan and section, with the plan of our old space to compare dimensions.

Inline images 1

(PDF attached)
existing.pdf

Tom Lynch

Sep 16, 2014, 8:03:46 AM9/16/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
image.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

On 16 Sep 2014, at 11:07, Tom Newsom <tom.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here's a floor plan and section, with the plan of our old space to compare dimensions.

<existing.png>

(PDF attached)

On 15 September 2014 20:03, Tom Newsom <tom.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here's a hoofing great big panorama

<pano3.jpg>

We'll re-line the areas that get moisture coming through (ie. where it's stained black) and scrub down the rest.

The front half has a rather rough floor, but the rear is pretty smooth and just needs a little filling and grinding.

Accurate floor plan incoming.

On 15 September 2014 19:53, Rich Maynard <richjm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sad face. A forklift would be fun.

RichM.

<existing.pdf>

Tom Lynch

Tom Lynch

Tom Lynch

toby @ tobyz

Sep 16, 2014, 8:58:54 AM9/16/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Having been there, what sense you perhaps don’t get from the photos is how doable renovating this space is. The back third could be transformed into a nice red-and-white SLMS style tinkering studio without delay, and then we’ve got the rest of the year to build out from there. It will take all hands on deck, for sure, but having a permanent makerspace up and running seems well within our collective reach.

On 16 Sep 2014, at 13:06, Tom Lynch <m...@unknowndomain.co.uk> wrote:

> Here is what the other arch looked like as they were finishing up the lineing.

Gordon Endersby

Sep 16, 2014, 10:48:16 AM9/16/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

It looks great in the photos.
Is that daylight I see at the back?
Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

That built up area at the back looks useful for dedicated work spaces.

Gordon

Tom Newsom

Sep 16, 2014, 11:05:03 AM9/16/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
There is some grubby daylight coming in. The lean to is timber frame, ply and transparent corrugated plastic.

Tom Lynch

Sep 16, 2014, 11:06:06 AM9/16/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
That built up area will either be demolished or bricked off.

Tom Newsom

Sep 16, 2014, 11:08:38 AM9/16/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
To be rebuilt/refurbished at a later date. It's not very well built at all.

Tom Lynch

Sep 16, 2014, 11:09:25 AM9/16/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, not likely in my opinion.

Tom Newsom

Sep 16, 2014, 11:10:30 AM9/16/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Well, we've got 3 years to argue about it :-)