Electrical Engineering MOOC

Matt O'Rourke

Jul 8, 2014, 9:07:48 AM7/8/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Hello there

Over the last few months here at Liverpool we have been putting together a MOOC (Massive Open On-line Course) which introduces aspects of electrical engineering. The course starts in September, but you can sign up now. It's free and there are no gimmicks. The link to the MOOC info is here: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/electrify . Any ideas on how to make this course better are welcome.

All the best

 Matt O’Rourke

MOOC developer

Liverpool University

Tom Lynch

Jul 8, 2014, 12:59:25 PM7/8/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Matt,

Thanks for sharing this! Looking forward to it... will there be future courses to take the knowlege more indepth?

I have been looking for a course like this or one in a local college for years but they are all very expensive and I am never sure how good they will be.

Tom

Dermot Jones

Jul 9, 2014, 4:59:52 AM7/9/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

I think this would be great for the many people who are experienced with coding and can interact with Arduino etc. but don't have much electronics knowledge beyond that. It looks to be offering a good broad taster that might bridge this gap.

Personally I'd like a more in depth course. Are there like to be any from you?

But I will also sign up for this.

Best,

Dermot.

Dermot Jones

Sep 3, 2014, 4:44:32 AM9/3/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I've signed up for this.

At only three hours a week for six weeks it can't get to the depths of electronics. For me it's a refresher and a chance to try a low commitment MOOC, though if anyone finds a more in depth course let me know....as long at it doesn't involve bloody calculus!

I'd say it's probably an invaluable introduction for anyone using microcontroller boards, and should help demistify electricity/electronics a bit.

It might be fun if a few of us are doing it.

Dermot.

Tom Lynch

Sep 3, 2014, 5:55:02 AM9/3/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I will try to do it.

Sent from my iPad

Matthew Press

Sep 3, 2014, 6:05:38 AM9/3/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I signed up.

Richard Armstrong-Wood

Sep 4, 2014, 4:40:20 AM9/4/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

I've signed up too.. I know little about electronics so I think it'll actually be very useful for me.

Sarah Barber

Sep 11, 2014, 5:46:46 AM9/11/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
It sounds interesting. I'm going to try to do it. Will be good to have a group of us doing it.

Tom Lynch

Sep 22, 2014, 6:16:14 PM9/22/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
This just started, it's really good!

Dermot Jones

Sep 22, 2014, 6:21:22 PM9/22/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

I thought is was this week. I signed up. Did you get an email... Or just remember?

Dermot.

Tom Lynch

Sep 22, 2014, 6:22:04 PM9/22/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I got an email last night... You can still sign up, it's worth it very easy to do.

On 22 Sep 2014, at 23:21, Dermot Jones <dermot...@gmail.com> wrote:

I thought is was this week. I signed up. Did you get an email... Or just remember?

Dermot.

Dermot Jones

Sep 23, 2014, 7:35:35 AM9/23/14
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Ah....the email was there, just missed it in the pile!

Will now try to find some time to do it.....

Dermot