The latest word on the Saving the Someday (from Danielle and Tanya)

1 view

awea...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2006, 5:58:58 PM7/20/06
to Someday Community
Hey folks.
We apologize for the fact that this is our first post, but rest
assured, we've been reading a lot of the postings, and have been trying
to keep up to date on the thoughts and questions of the online voices.
But the time has come when there is actual news that doesn't feel so
much like gossip, so we wanted to post it and make it official. Sorry
this is so long...Here goes:

some background to start:
After the task force meeting to which the Someday turnout was amazing
and the comments and stories told impactful, Danielle and Rachel and I
(Tanya) decided to test the waters to see if there was any chance we
might be able to stop the closing of the Someday. We approached Creyf
first. He said he *might* look at another space if we could find him a
lease. So we decided to see if we could convince Fraiman to leave the
Someday in tact where it was if it was under new ownership. Rebekah
set up a meeting for us with Fraiman. He pretended to be a (secret)
fan of the Someday, one who didn't want to see it die, either. And
although he found the chances slim to nil that Creyf would back out of
signing the lease they'd drawn up, he said he'd consider us first and
foremost as tenants if he did.

*We're controlling ourselves here for the benefit of brevity, most of
you already know all this anyway. But just fill in all the cuss words
you want here, folks, none of this turns out to be true.*

Then we talked to Creyf to make sure he was still willing to look at
other places. He said yes, but his timeline was short. Then we found
out he'd signed a lease for the space. He asked for our blessing since
it had a right of assignment clause in it. We didn't give it, but
instead asked him to talk to the community at large and hear what they
had to say about it. We had a meeting at large and Rebekah invited the
Mayor, who was moved enough to offer to personally aid in the search
for another space for Mr. Crepe. That was on Sunday

Well, first thing Monday morning it seems the mayor did just that. And
in the process of doing it, he got a phone call from Fraiman. Who told
him that he would never consider us as tenants. Apparently it is not
the case that he was going to approve the assigning of a lease to us on
the part of Creyf. And as sorry as Peter Creyf was when he heard that,
he was in the Someday with his windows and doors contractor working on
his plans for 51 Davis Monday afternoon, so I guess he didn't pause
*too* long before deciding he wasn't going to fight Fraiman on that
one.

In any case, after dedicating hours we didn't have to this and trusting
that people weren't lying to us about the small chance we might have
had to stay at 51 Davis, I got to hear from Mr. Creyf that Fraiman
wouldn't approve us anyway, and it was over, he was moving into 51
Davis.

As far as we were concerned, this is all we were willing to do. The
employees who tried to keep the Someday at 51 Davis have encountered
defeat, despite valiant and creative and mostly friendly back-up from
hundreds of Someday customers and supporters, by a landlord who thinks
the Someday has outlived its usefulness and a guy who thinks
franchising his crepes needs to happen ASAP.

Then the Mayor and Rebekah Gerwits asked to meet with us at the
Someday. It seems the Mayor is pretty committed to saving the Someday.
And even if he can't convince Fraiman to allow the lease to be assigned
to us, and can't convince Creyf to really take up looking at other
places seriously b/c he feels he has the right to move into 51 Davis
with the lease he's signed, he offered us (the employee group present
who is writing this to you now -- namely, Danielle, Tanya, Rachel,
Chris and Steve) his assistance should we agree to open up a cafe
elsewhere in the square. He is meeting with us on Friday morning to
get the actual funding together.

Rebekah was kind enough to give us almost 24 hours notice about this
meeting with the Mayor and a heads up that this would be proposed. So
we checked the google group. People had suggested that if all else
failed, maybe we should open up another cafe in the same spirit.
People were saying nice stuff about our ability to do that as employees
(at least, most of them, some people wanted numbers -- understandably).
Then we did what we've been certain we had to do all along. We got
some numbers together. This time we included estimates of costs for
the build out and permitting for an entirely new space. It turns out,
we were right - it does cost a lot more to move. So we told the mayor
that. Without even looking at our numbers (maybe he glanced) he
through out some numbers that made it sound possible and told us he
would look into some spaces in Davis square. So we are considering it.

We still gotta find the space. We still gotta come up with money of
our own. We still gotta make sure the loans we'll have to take out can
be supported by the new cafe, and we still gotta be sure that the city
will fill a significant gap. But from everything the Mayor said, he's
pretty serious about his support to the cafe. And for some reason,
maybe because you guys and Rebekah have shown similar faith (maybe
because we were dressed up), he said he was willing to put his personal
backing behind this employee-ownership idea because he thought we could
do it.

So we want to hear what do you guys think. It is a lot more work. Maybe
we can keep it from being more money, but we can't keep it from being
more work. We're gonna need your help fixing the place up. We're
gonna need your help keeping the place open (you're all still addicted
to our coffee and pleasant counter attitudes, right?). And we'll need
your help getting this all done fast. We can't be unemployed long
(hopefully you guys can't be without coffee long). We don't really
need your help naming it, but it looks like we've got that one already.

We were thinking that we could call a meeting for sunday night for
anyone who might want to hear more about our plan for the new place.

Sincerely,
The employee group. (We'll be bigger and stronger when we sleep
more. Post till then.)
Ciao.

Ezra Ball

Jul 20, 2006, 6:38:40 PM7/20/06
to somedayc...@googlegroups.com
I think I'd be really bummed if this tale of supreme weaseldom came without the news that you guys are still giving it a go, and without a lot of the positive energy that's been going around on the list around giving the cafe a fresh start.

So, despite the fact that the Someday may be no more, my main reaction is "YAY!", and yes, I would certainly like to hear more about your plan if you called a meeting for Sunday night.

--Ezra.

Jim

Jul 20, 2006, 7:07:33 PM7/20/06
to Someday Community
See the post below this... "Back to Basics" for my thoughts on this. I
saw right through Fraiman at the task force meeting. And Creyf was just
trying to make himself look good so the thousands of Someday patrons
wouldn't hate him. I highly doubt he had ANY intention of moving to
another location. I think Rivkah said it best in another thread...
"Creyf and Fraiman are a match made in heaven."

With the Mayor's backing and the community support you clearly have,
you need to strike while the iron is hot and make this happen... now.
Get the hell away from 51 Davis and focus your energy on a new, fresh
location.

And I'll say it again; don't be afraid to start small. The Someday
started small and grew steady and strong. You do not need a huge new
space. Just get a business going and it will grow as needed. You have
clientele who will find you and buy your coffee wherever you are. Even
if it's just a bar with a handful of tables... you can expand later. A
small space will be easier to build, have cheaper rent and will be
profitable sooner.

pam

Jul 20, 2006, 8:35:30 PM7/20/06
to Someday Community
Yeah, what a good way to get to know everyone even better, and maybe
even the people who are on different Someday shifts!

I'm so psyched you guys are sticking with it. Can I add that you need
to make sure you don't put all of your eggs into the Mayor's basket,
either? It's in the nature of political arrangements that they shift
all of the time, you never know if another Friend-of-Mayor calls on him
to cut you out of another lease or whatever. No cold blanket meant at
all, but just watch your back!

And we'll all watch for you, too.

Thanks for all of your hard work to keep us in coffee (or in my case,
pots of tea).

Baerbel Kittelmann

Jul 20, 2006, 8:18:42 PM7/20/06
to somedayc...@googlegroups.com
Perfect, and all this advise for free

Craig Swanson

Jul 20, 2006, 10:08:26 PM7/20/06
to somedayc...@googlegroups.com
Wow! Well done folks! I am very impressed with your tenacity!

-Craig

Tom Good

Jul 21, 2006, 7:02:03 AM7/21/06
to somedayc...@googlegroups.com
I am just blown away by what I've been reading. This is wonderful,
thank you! This is pure grassroots action applied to a local problem
which, ironically, is a microcosm of a major national (and global)
problem. Does anyone feel more empowered? Is anyone looking ahead to
other fields in which this sort of empowerment and activism might be
applied?

Significant as the coffee problem may be, we all know that in the here
and now coffee is a symbol for a much more fundamental survival and
connectedness. Moreover, without expecting unanimity of opinion or
priority, I think we can all agree there are at least two or three
minor little issues directly challenging the survival of civilization.
So - where are we going from here?

Thank you (everyone!) for your support and inspiration as we all try
to dodge the McPaintbrush.

Cheers - Tom Good

John Hildebidle

Jul 21, 2006, 9:15:27 AM7/21/06
to somedayc...@googlegroups.com
Ah, such perfidy! Ah, such villainy! Then again, when was the last
time you met a landlord you could trust? As we sat mournfully in the
Someday t'other morning, we noticed a now-vacant storefront over by J
P. Licks. and one where the Mini Mart once was.

The idea that we Someday lovers pitch in with (a) sweat equity (just
call me the Mad Painter; and imagine Frescos by Swanson!) and
cast-off furniture seems viable as a way to reduce startup costs.

The hardy band trying to restart the joint should rest assured -- it
is the spirit and soul of the place, not (surely) the precise
location that is most worth preserving. At least that's my humble opinion.

John Rarelyhumble

John Hildebidle

Jul 21, 2006, 9:33:46 AM7/21/06
At 07:02 AM 7/21/2006, you wrote:

>I am just blown away by what I've been reading. This is wonderful,
>thank you! This is pure grassroots action applied to a local problem
>which, ironically, is a microcosm of a major national (and global)
>problem. Does anyone feel more empowered? Is anyone looking ahead to
>other fields in which this sort of empowerment and activism might be
>applied?

Has anyone been in touch with George Howell? He will admit he's loony
about coffee, and is now committed to Politically Correct Java, as well.

And besides he's rich as Croesus.

Rob Auffrey

Jul 21, 2006, 10:02:22 AM7/21/06
to Someday Community
I'm just a commute time customer, not a regular hanger-outer, but I'll
definitely go out of my way to bring my patronage, and anyone's who
will listen, to the new Someday.

I have a pickup truck whose service I can volunteer. I'm not capable of
too much manual labor, but I'm definitely willing to help. I might be
able to contribute in other ways. Keep us posted.

Elizabeth S. C. Oakes

Jul 21, 2006, 10:43:14 AM7/21/06
to somedayc...@googlegroups.com
Seems like now we all need to band behind Danielle and Tanya and help
them with
whatever they need to get the new incarnation off the ground. People have
already offered lots of help and expertise in these postings. At this
point it
might be good for us to put that together as an organized hardcopy of people
that Danielle and Tanya can call upon as needed for business help, P.R.,
fundraising, materials, and manual labor. Maybe start a signup sheet at the
cafe where people list contact info, skills, and the extent of any time
commitment they're willing to make?
-Elizabeth Oakes
p.s. that space next to JP licks where Salon Femia used to be seems nice (of
course they may have moved because of really high rent)

William Harnois

Jul 21, 2006, 10:46:06 AM7/21/06
to somedayc...@googlegroups.com
>p.s. that space next to JP licks where Salon Femia used to be seems nice (of
>course they may have moved because of really high rent)

I heard Antonia's is expanding into that space.

-Bill

Ezra Ball

Jul 21, 2006, 10:53:03 AM7/21/06
to somedayc...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a great idea.

I think it also might be nice to additionally have some kind of web space to do this kind of thing. I am a web developer by day (mostly backend technie stuff, not design) and, while i suspect a glut of such people on this list, I certainly volunteer my services for developing a web presence for the new cafe. I can register a domain, set up some discussion boards, set up some kind of signup list thingie.

--Ezra.

Cori Couture

Jul 21, 2006, 10:53:24 AM7/21/06
to somedayc...@googlegroups.com
Tanya, Danielle, AND Rachel :-) ,

Thanks so much for sticking with the project through all the insanity. Well done. I am definitely willing to contribute some time and elbow grease to getting a new place up and running. Also, Craig and I have a large mini-van, which holds lots and is great for carting stuff around.

Cheers,
Cori

John Barrett

Jul 21, 2006, 6:15:31 PM7/21/06
to somedayc...@googlegroups.com
Danielle, Tanya and Rachel, and everyone else who's been posting,

I'm certainly in for Sunday night and I think it's a given that there's plenty of volunteers at the ready. I second the idea of posting a "volunteer sign up sheet" at the Someday and at least getting a feel for how many people can commit to devoting some time to the endeavor.

I'm currently working with getting a non-profit up and running and will have more time after September, but in the meantime, would be happy to help out wherever and whenever possible.

Have I missed a post or is there a set time for a meeting on Sunday?

redcol...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2006, 7:01:27 AM7/22/06
to Someday Community
awea...@gmail.com wrote:

> We were thinking that we could call a meeting for sunday night for
> anyone who might want to hear more about our plan for the new place.

I'd definitely like to hear! What time Sunday?

Love, Columbine

Jess Schumann

Jul 23, 2006, 10:33:56 AM7/23/06
to Someday Community
Hi guys,

I just started working at SCAT in Union Square, and I plan to document
the last days at 51 Davis square. I am also interested in documenting
the planning of the new place, as well as talking with supporters of
the plan including the new owners and the mayer. I will be at Someday
later this afternoon/ evening interviewing patrons and videotaping
shots of the place for my program. If anyone has pictures from the
earlier days or can tell me some history about the place, I would love
that too. I plan to get this aired on cable access TV.

Thanks!

ps. It is best to call me if you have questions about today's shoot.
Also, if you have any ideas, I am open to suggestions.

Jess
857-225-2300

Rivkah Lapidas

Jul 24, 2006, 11:11:03 AM7/24/06
to Someday Community
I agree very much with Jim about Fraiman and Mr. Creyf. We need to
disabuse ourselves of any notions of compromise with people who clearly
have their business interests at heart. It may look very good for Crefy
to say he is willing to "stick his neck out," but both of these people
were insincere in their encouragement to the cafe, from the getgo.

Whatever it takes to get started in a new place, I am all for it. It
must be a conspicuous place in the square, however. The word
"disingenous" keeps coming up in all of my thoughts about Freyman and
Creyf. Creyf knows damn well that this community happened because of
the location of the cafe, and I roll my eyes when he condescends to
tell us that "people, not a building, make a community." GMAFB!

I would love to give tribute to Jeff Hale in the naming of the new
cafe. We could call it "Jeff's." But it would be more in the spirit of
"Sorry, we're open" to call it "Hale." Then we can all say we are going
to Hale.

Regards,
Rivkah

Tom Good

Jul 24, 2006, 11:54:49 AM7/24/06
to somedayc...@googlegroups.com
good word .....how many times have we been bamboozled by businessmen &
politicians who say they're gonna stick their necks out, but end up
sticking their necks up their ***es instead (translation: deliberate
blindness), while constructing for themselves an elegant, photogenic
papier-mache head for PR reasons? Such people need no encouragement
from the likes of us.

Remember the Off The Wall Theater? Anyone who needs a 7-min. surreal
entertainment break, check out this video clip - i saw it full screen
at OTW years ago......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRBj1S12LpE&search=cab%20calloway

take care - T.

John Hildebidle

Jul 24, 2006, 12:22:59 PM7/24/06
At 11:11 AM 7/24/2006, you wrote:

>I agree very much with Jim about Fraiman and Mr. Creyf. We need to
>disabuse ourselves of any notions of compromise with people who clearly
>have their business interests at heart. It may look very good for Crefy
>to say he is willing to "stick his neck out," but both of these people
>were insincere in their encouragement to the cafe, from the getgo.

I stand (well, actually I sit) rebuked and chastised. My proposition
was not so much intended as compromise (ain't no bargaining with
Satan, true?) as a subtle connivance and bypass.

>Whatever it takes to get started in a new place, I am all for it. It
>must be a conspicuous place in the square, however. The word
>"disingenous" keeps coming up in all of my thoughts about Freyman and
>Creyf. Creyf knows damn well that this community happened because of
>the location of the cafe, and I roll my eyes when he condescends to
>tell us that "people, not a building, make a community." GMAFB!

Right on, Sistah!

>I would love to give tribute to Jeff Hale in the naming of the new
>cafe. We could call it "Jeff's." But it would be more in the spirit of
>"Sorry, we're open" to call it "Hale." Then we can all say we are going
>to Hale.

Deft. Daft, too, which only adds to the compliment.

Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it.
Jules Renard

Mo

Jul 24, 2006, 1:08:54 PM7/24/06
to Someday Community
This outpouring and connection with the community has been awesome.
After realizing that Fraiman lied blatantly about giving the Someday a
chance to the face of our alderwoman and the Tanya-Danielle-Rachel crew
(we need a name for you gals!) it is now abundantly clear that the
Someday in its present location would never have survived under any
circumstances save Fraiman's demise or buyout. This realization in a
strange way is liberating because now we can concentrate on the NEW
Someday, whatever it's called (The Some Way?), and build on its
strengths while eliminating its weaknesses. I can't wait to see it and
am ready to help out!

Tom Good

Jul 24, 2006, 1:18:20 PM7/24/06
to somedayc...@googlegroups.com
Good word, Mo!
TG

John Hildebidle

Jul 24, 2006, 2:31:02 PM7/24/06
to somedayc...@googlegroups.com
> This outpouring and connection with the community has been awesome.
> After realizing that Fraiman lied blatantly about giving the Someday a
> chance to the face of our alderwoman and the Tanya-Danielle-Rachel crew
> (we need a name for you gals!
how about the Rockettes, since surely they Rock!)

) it is now abundantly clear that the
> Someday in its present location would never have survived under any
> circumstances save Fraiman's demise or buyout. This realization in a
> strange way is liberating because now we can concentrate on the NEW
> Someday, whatever it's called (The Some Way?), and build on its
> strengths while eliminating its weaknesses. I can't wait to see it and
> am ready to help out!

Another asset the New Day holds that Fraiman and Creyf lack is a client
base. Lots of cups of Joe being slurped in there, at any time of the day.
That could well be moved elsewhere, making the location itself less
crucial -- a matter of convenience rather that necessity.

Still mulling over Rivkah's inspired suggesting -- some pun on Hale (get to
work, Craig -- you're the punmeister).

Hildeblissed

jewelry...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2006, 8:08:40 PM7/25/06
to Someday Community
Rivkah Lapidas wrote:

> I would love to give tribute to Jeff Hale in the naming of the new
> cafe. We could call it "Jeff's." But it would be more in the spirit of
> "Sorry, we're open" to call it "Hale." Then we can all say we are going
> to Hale.
>
> Regards,
> Rivkah

Hi, I'm Jeff's sister, and just heard about the Someday's dilemma. I
just wanted to wish you luck on finding a new place and to tell you I
think you've given him a hearty chuckle wherever he is with the 'going
to Hale' idea! :)

I won't be able to make a trip to see the place before you move (I'm
in NC), but I'm sending a friend by to get me a t-shirt or something
while she's in town for business.

Good luck with everything!
Kelley (Hale) Gemma

Mr. Crêpe

Jul 27, 2006, 1:36:21 PM7/27/06
to Someday Community
Tanya, and all community members,

I am sorry to hear that "disingeneous" is the word may come up in your
mind. I have truly spent countless hours thinking about this, not to
mention 1 completely sleepless night (0 minutes of sleep that night).
It is easy to display a person as a heartless "business" person and
make believe this person has no heart, no feeling and no conscience.
The fact is that no one except myself and my wife knows how much
thought I have put into this matter. Not that I would expect you to
think of this, but that is a fact.

Mr. Fraiman and I did spend hours discussing this, and indeed the idea
of Mr. Crêpe staying was the idea we like both best. It is quite
funny that you are telling me I am disingeneous but at the same time
you would have liked us to move to another (less prime) location. I
have said from the beginning that I'd be open to talk about another
location if that location would be an equally "prime location". And
now you are saying that part of its success is its location. Don't you
think that is disingeneous? What do you call this?

Mr. Fraiman and I looked at the whole issue, and as said before, Mr.
Fraiman wanted me to stay. If you look at how the Somerville theatre
is, you'll find Mr. Fraiman is not just a heartless business man. I've
spent hours with the man, and he definitely has a conscience and a
heart. And when you look at how Mr. Crêpe is and/or will be, and how
we participate in the community, you'll find that neither am I. I
guess it is easier to display him and myself as villains.

I understand many people may hate me for having gone through with this,
and unfortunately there is no easy solution to this. I had to weigh
the pros and cons of all what's happening around this issue, and I have
made a decision. You can hate me and so can many other people for
having made this decision, but do not say I was disingeneous. You have
no way of knowing all of what another person is thinking. Respect one
another and respect their opinion. If it is an opinion that is 100%
opposed to yours, you still need to respect that opinion. If not, that
is the sort of fuel for hatered, if not wars.

I do wish you success with your quest to find a location for the Café.
And that is not disingeneous either.

Peter Creyf
Mr. Crêpe

Mo

Jul 27, 2006, 2:25:58 PM7/27/06
to Someday Community
Mr. Creyf, I give you a lot of credit for reading the forum and
responding thoughtfully, even if I disagree with what you did. Not
everyone on this post demonizes you. And I'm glad that you did think
about things a lot before moving ahead. That being said, it has become
evident that Fraiman did lie very blatantly to a number of people
during this process. He may well have a heart in his negotiations with
you because he clearly prefers you to the Someday. But he does not
treat the community with respect and for that I hope that his business
suffers and that he realizes that there is more to life than the bottom
line. Given that Fraiman was lying, it is unclear what role you
actually had. Could you have gotten out of the lease if you even wanted
to? Whether you were also untruthful to everyone is something that I
will personally never know. It seems to me it would have been easy
enough to wait a few more days to sign the lease, but you chose not to.
That was absolutely your prerogative and does not prove dishonesty. But
there is a consequence to that decision.