"getLinkedFieldCombined" function in VuFind

dlovins

Dec 8, 2009, 3:18:58 PM12/8/09
to solrmarc-tech, vufin...@lists.sourceforge.net
I sent the message below to both the vufind-tech and solrmarc-tech
lists, but it bounded off the latter. I'm sending it again this time
from within GoogleGroups.

I wanted to add one thing, though ... even though I'm primarily
interested in making use of this function in VuFind I'm also
interested in Blacklight sites that have implemented it. It's just
that there may be such a divergence of technique once you get past the
indexing stage that I'm not sure how transferable the solution would
be (e.g., working in RoR vs. PHP).

Thanks. / Daniel

----------------------------------

Have any VuFind sites successfully implemented SolrMarc's custom
“getLinkedFieldCombined” function (i.e., for indexing/displaying
paired original and Romanized script fields)?

I know that NLA and Michigan are special cases (i.e., achieving same
result through other means).

:-)

Aside from un-commenting the function in VuFindIndexer.java, what else
needs to be done to make it useable for index and display purposes?

Thanks for your help.

Daniel

Daniel Lovins
Metadata and Emerging Technologies Librarian
Catalog & Metadata Services
Sterling Memorial Library
Yale University
PO Box 208240
New Haven, CT 06520
daniel...@yale.edu
tel: 203/432-1707
fax: 203/432-7231

Demian Katz

Dec 9, 2009, 9:02:09 AM12/9/09
to Lovins, Daniel, solrma...@googlegroups.com, vufin...@lists.sourceforge.net

I haven't used this myself, but from a quick glance at the SolrMarc code, it looks like this will cause a multi-valued return.  Since VuFind currently expects only a single value in the title field, things could get complicated -- to use getLinkedFieldCombined for the primary title field, I think you would need to make several fields in the Solr schema multi-valued and edit all the templates that display the title field from Solr results to detect arrays and deal with them appropriately (or else some of your books would suddenly be titled "Array").

Honestly, I don't think the multi-valued title approach is worth the trouble.  A better solution might be to create a secondary index for linked titles and create a new custom Java function based on getLinkedFieldCombined that returns only linked titles when they exist and nothing for "normal" titles.  Then you just need to change templates to display linked titles in appropriate places when they exist, adjust search specifications to search the new linked title field, and you don't have to worry about the consequences of changing the existing title functionality.

With the RC2 release next week, the SolrMarc BeanShell scripting and searchspecs.yaml search configuration file should make these changes fairly simple.  Please let me know if you need more details on anything.

- Demian

Naomi Dushay

Dec 9, 2009, 11:24:12 AM12/9/09
to solrma...@googlegroups.com, vufin...@lists.sourceforge.net
It's can also be handy to separate them for boosting purposes, if you want searching to include them.

Basically:
 xxx_index.properties
 schema.xml adjustments
 regenerate index
 adjust your application (may include solrconfig.xml changes, depending on your configuration)

- Naomi