MakerFaire Printing - Great!

Sketch

Sep 19, 2011, 1:17:54 PM9/19/11
to Solidoodle
We had a great showing at MakeFaire this weekend! The new little
machine generated lots of interested. We printed non-stop from the
start of the show until closing on Sunday and the printer performed
awesomely. Here are the results of our 17 hours of printing:

- The spring-loaded extruder churns through filament like butter and
works great - no need to loosen/tighten the extruder for filament
changes.
- We made about a hundred prints by simply clicking, "Print" in the
Pronterface software. The homing system worked flawlessly and never
needed recalibrating.
- We printed on a surface of blue painters tape applied to the build
platform. We replaced this tape about every 20 prints to keep the
filament sticking. Not bad.
- When replacing filament, we found it's probably best to back the old
filament out before feeding in the new filament. The extruder worked
flawlessly this way. We changed filament half-a-dozen times or so and
we found that while you can simply feed one strand on top of another
most of the time, we had one jam while doing this. It was quickly
remedied in a couple minutes by opening up the swing arm.

Overall the machine performed great on it's first big print-a-thon. So
far we've logged over 100 hours and it just keeps begging for more,
even after all the jostling and banging about to-and-fro MakerFaire
(even dropped it once). Here's to many more prints!