Bladeless turbine

Sep 17, 2008, 9:20:11 PM9/17/08
to solar-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure if the bladeless turbine idea is fully out of the question.  Initially, we liked the design because of its simplicity, although lower efficency.  According to a Ph. D. Thesis by Elroy William Beans, ( "Performance Characteristics of a Friction Disc Turbine"  June 1961. Penn state) the theoretical maximum efficency of the bladeless turbine is dismally low (10%) and based on that Marcin has switched to thinking of an ultra high efficency uniflow piston design.

I got a copy of this paper from a corespondance of mine (whom has joined our group), Robert Drury.  interestingly, in his thesis, Beans measures an experimental efficency higher than his calculated maximum, despite his observations that the seals on his experimental model were noticeably leaky.  If an engine losing compression were measured to be more efficenct than carnot predicts, I think we'd quickly rethink carnot's theories.  Similarly, although bean's fluid dynamics are impressive, his utilization of the theory is obviously flawed (with no more evidence than his own paper).

Robert said:

Yeah,  it's interesting that Beans' 1961 analytical efficiency was less than his experimental.  Also interesting is that Schmidt reported Beans' 1966 efficiency result as twice as his 1961 result, reflecting other experimenters (Rice, Schmidt, Singleton, Huybrechts) results so maybe Beans' 1961 results were flawed.  Just now, I discovered Beans' 1966 paper in ttt 1-50.pdf which I believe I sent you a link of. The xerox copies in that pdf are terrible.  But I suspect Beans' 1966 paper will indicate flaws in the 1961 experiment.

 I haven't gotten a copy of the 1966 paper, but it will be posted here when available.

Also, I'll forward Robert drury's email to me that included links to the 1961 paper and other useful links.

The benefit of a bladeless turbine would be its (relative) ease of construction and high replicability, as well as not having to deal with oil in the exaust as with a piston engine.  if 30-40% efficency could be achieved, the bladeless turbine is competitive with the lysholm and scroll expanders (from automotive turbochargers) (I got the scroll expander efficency from the engineer of this product http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/479068, though he said with our expected pressures, a scroll expander might not be the way to go), and likely competitive also with small bladed turbines.

-elliot

Sep 17, 2008, 9:21:38 PM9/17/08
to solar-...@googlegroups.com
here's robert's email to me, forwarded to you:

numerical.study.ofa.Tesla.Turbine.pdf
qualitative.analysis.tesla.turbomachine.html

Marcin Jakubowski

Oct 5, 2008, 1:50:12 PM10/5/08
to solar-...@googlegroups.com
Elliot,

You said that you have access to machining. Can you build the Tesla
turbine and see for yourself? We can crowd-fund materials if you make
a concrete proposal.

This is still an open question - regarding its performance. There
appear to be conflicting messages on efficiency. Have you come to any
further progress on resolving these issues?

Marcin

--
----

-- Robert A. Heinlein

Oct 5, 2008, 7:30:46 PM10/5/08
to solar-...@googlegroups.com
You said that you have access to machining. Can you build the Tesla
turbine and see for yourself? We can crowd-fund materials if you make
a concrete proposal.

I think its not the best use of my energy right now to try to start that project.  Right now I'm focusing on castable refractories for simple rocket stoves or a charcoal making apparatus.  Wood chemistry (ie: wood gas, water gas, fischer-tropsch, pyrolysis oil) is a marvelous subject, and so i'm poking around at the very bottom of that ladder.    Also, how to mount tensioned mirrors is in second place.  starting a turbine (while not yet knowing how to operate a milling machine) is a bit much.

But i think often of being back on the factor e farm and devoting whole day after whole day to working on a project.

This is still an open question - regarding its performance. There
appear to be conflicting messages on efficiency. Have you come to any
further progress on resolving these issues?

nope.

But i agree that once we have steam a turbine will likely show itself.  theres all sorts of garage hobbyists better equiped than I who want to see this vision realized.

Also, for those thinking of burning fuel to boil a turbine working fluid, I would want to know more about a solid oxide fuel cell to directly convert steam cracked fuel into electricity.

Josef Davies-Coates

Oct 5, 2008, 7:46:42 PM10/5/08
to solar-...@googlegroups.com, openmanu...@googlegroups.com, josh1...@gmail.com
2008/10/6 ... <offonoff...@gmail.com>:

> I think its not the best use of my energy right now to try to start that
> project. Right now I'm focusing on castable refractories for simple rocket
> stoves or a charcoal making apparatus.

Is that like making a rocket stove version of a retort kiln?

Someone was just telling me about retort kilns today and I just saw this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-some-Charcoal/

They also mentioned using was scraps or corn like this example and
making biochar as a soil conditioner at the same time. Sounds like it
makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpozW9039_o

I love to know more about what people know and think about these technologies :)

But I guess I should be asking on open manufacturing rather than here
on solar turbine so I've cc'd there (and the person who was telling me
about retort kilns earlier :) )

Josef.

--
Josef Davies-Coates
07974 88 88 95

Oct 14, 2008, 12:57:04 PM10/14/08
to solar-...@googlegroups.com

Is  that like making a rocket stove version of a retort kiln?

I guess by rocket stove i just mean a kiln properly designed, with an insulated combustion chamber and a good draft.

Someone was just telling me about retort kilns today and I just saw this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-some-Charcoal/

Yea, i was thinking of a cylindrical refractory container around a single metal barrel, but then the idea of casting panels makes more sense, so the system could be modular and also easier to carry around and load onto a truck.