FlashSocket transport is being deprecated?

Ignacio Burgueño

May 30, 2011, 6:43:17 PM5/30/11
to sock...@googlegroups.com
Hi. I saw the recent commits on Socket.IO development branch, and I saw that flash sockets have been removed (although they're still mentioned in the readme). If it is indeed being removed, why is that? Is it too much trouble to mantain?

I ask that because that transport is the one that performs reliably for my use cases (on browsers other than Chrome).

Regards,
Ignacio

Guillermo Rauch

May 30, 2011, 8:14:23 PM5/30/11
to sock...@googlegroups.com
It's not deprecated, but it's not gonna be a "default".

--
Guillermo Rauch
http://devthought.com

Ignacio Burgueño

May 30, 2011, 8:26:38 PM5/30/11
to sock...@googlegroups.com
Uhm, I don't understand what that means... Is it that if you want it, you have to request it explicitly from the client?

Guillermo Rauch

May 30, 2011, 8:59:09 PM5/30/11
to sock...@googlegroups.com
If you want it, you specially include it on the server:

io.set('transports', ['websocket', 'flashsocket']);

That's all.

Ignacio Burgueño

May 30, 2011, 9:20:41 PM5/30/11
to sock...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to nag, but I can't find flashsocket.js or similar anywhere. How would you include it?

Arnout Kazemier

May 31, 2011, 3:07:22 AM5/31/11
to sock...@googlegroups.com
You have to remember that it's a development branch, so it's not done yet.

Ignacio Burgueño

May 31, 2011, 7:45:21 AM5/31/11
to sock...@googlegroups.com
Aha, ok. Got it.

Thanks!

Guillermo Rauch

May 31, 2011, 8:28:28 AM5/31/11
to sock...@googlegroups.com
The approach I'm leaning towards is having people include

if you need flash, and otherwise the default /socket.io/socket.io.js doesn't include it.

Guillermo Rauch

May 31, 2011, 9:13:18 AM5/31/11
to sock...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I'm down for that, but I think we still need a way of selectively serving clients.
For example, if you're writing a jQuery mobile frontend to your app, you only want to serve polling and websocket.

On Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Arnout Kazemier wrote:

Instead of generating just a custom build for socket.io-flash we might as well leverage the new build system that I created which can generate different Socket.IO clients on the fly.

It would require minimal changes to the code base and it would become allow more powerful as you can also just generate a build with only WebSocket and FlashSockets if you set the transports on the server side to "websocket" and "flashsocket"

Arnout Kazemier

May 31, 2011, 9:33:38 AM5/31/11
to sock...@googlegroups.com
Sure, that would be possible when we incorporate the build system. We could check file names..

for example:

socket.io.websocket.flashsocket.xhr-polling.js

or url params
socket.io.js?tranports=flashsocket,websocket,xhr-polling

etc

Arnout Kazemier

May 31, 2011, 9:10:19 AM5/31/11
to sock...@googlegroups.com
Instead of generating just a custom build for socket.io-flash we might as well leverage the new build system that I created which can generate different Socket.IO clients on the fly.

It would require minimal changes to the code base and it would become allow more powerful as you can also just generate a build with only WebSocket and FlashSockets if you set the transports on the server side to "websocket" and "flashsocket"

Chris McKenzie

May 31, 2011, 4:31:10 PM5/31/11
to socket io
Hi Guillermo!