Bhopal - The Indian government wants to sell out our safety to the profit of US companies, removing their responsibility for nuclear accidents. Let's raise our voices before the law proposal goes for a vote in the next few days -- sign the petition below:

Avnish Jolly

Apr 1, 2010, 11:42:18 PM4/1/10
to socialactionfou...@googlegroups.com

--- On Fri, 2/4/10, Ricken Patel - Avaaz.org <av...@avaaz.org> wrote:

From: Ricken Patel - Avaaz.org <av...@avaaz.org>
Subject: Bhopal
To: "avnis...@yahoo.com" <avnis...@yahoo.com>
Date: Friday, 2 April, 2010, 0:28

Dear friends,
The Indian government wants to sell out our safety to the profit of US companies, removing their responsibility for nuclear accidents. Let's raise our voices before the law proposal goes for a vote in the next few days -- sign the petition below:

The Government of India is trying to introduce a bill which would remove responsibility for any nuclear accidents caused by US corporations in India.

In other words: Indian tax payers would be paying for the costs of any nuclear accident, including clean-up and compensation of victims, while the company responsible for the disaster will only pay a small fine.

Growing pressure from civil society has already led the government to postpone the bill, but they will still try to pass it in the next parliamentary session. Now's the time to pressure the PM to drop this bill. Click below to sign -- our signatures will be faxed to Dr. Manmohan Singh’s office:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/india_nuclear_risk/?vl

The Indian government wants tosell out our safety to the profit of US companies, removing their responsibility for nuclear accidents. Let's raise our voices before the law proposal goes for a vote in the next few days -- sign the petition below:

This bill provides a horrible incentive for US companies to cut costs on nuclear safety. It’s easy to take profits without taking responsibility – let’s not allow the Indian government to bargain our safety for a bad deal.

The victims of the Bhopal gas tragedy are still struggling to get their due 25 years later. We cannot let the government appease American corporate interests to the disadvantage of regular Indians. Our safety is being put on the line for the economic profit of a few.

Sign the petition now to tell the PM what you want:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/india_nuclear_risk/?vl

With hope,

Ricken, Ben, Graziela, Paul, Benjamin, Alice, Paula, Iain and the whole Avaaz team

PS: Our friends at Greenpeace have already spread this petition to more than 120,000 people -- let's join in and push it past 200,000! Read more about the situation in this story from the Times of India (http://www.avaaz.org/india_nukes) and then sign the petition here:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/india_nuclear_risk/?vl

Support the Avaaz community! We're entirely funded by donations and receive no money from governments or corporations. Our dedicated team ensures even the smallest contributions go a long way -- donate here.

Avaaz.org is a 4.2-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 13 countries on 4 continents and operates in 14 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US) or +55 21 2509 0368 (Brazil).