Oheraldo Goa's complete online news edition :: PCB-warns-establishments-against-discharging-waste-in-the-Colva-creek

curtor...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2010, 1:50:24 PM6/25/10
to socialactionfou...@googlegroups.com
GSPCB directs Village Panchayat to ascertain the discharge of sewage and other waste in the water bodies

http://www.oheraldo.in/news/Local%20News/PCB-warns-establishments-against-discharging-waste-in-the-Colva-creek/38150.html

---
This message was sent by curtor...@gmail.com via http://addthis.com. Please note that AddThis does not verify email addresses.

Make sharing easier with the AddThis Toolbar: http://www.addthis.com/go/toolbar-em

Avnish Jolly

Jun 25, 2010, 1:54:32 PM6/25/10
to SAFE - Social Action Foundation for Equity
PCB warns establishments against discharging waste in the Colva creek
http://www.oheraldo.in/news/Local%20News/PCB-warns-establishments-against-discharging-waste-in-the-Colva-creek/38150.html

HERALD REPORTER

PCB warns establishments against discharging waste in the Colva creek

HERALD REPORTER
MARGAO, JUNE 23

Tightening the screws on hotels and restaurants discharging sewage
waste in the creek, the Goa State Pollution Control Board will now
carry out random raids on the establishments as many owners denied
discharging waste in the water bodies.

Pollution Control Board officials told representatives of 12 hotels
and restaurants that random raids will be conducted on the
establishments to verify and inspect the measures in compliance of the
rules in force.

The Pollution Control Board has also directed the Colva panchayat to
inspect hotel establishments which were not covered by the officials
during last month’s inspection.

Besides the 34 establishments, which were issued notices, the
Pollution Control Board has called for inspection by the Panchayat
body to ascertain the discharge of sewage and kitchen waste.

The Panchayat has said the inspection of the establishments will be
carried out by involving the health authorities.

Sources in the know said the Pollution Board officials have made it
clear to the hotels that establishments having certain number of
rooms are required to install the Sewage Treatment Plans (STPs) to
treat the sewage and kitchen waste.

In this respect, many an establishment owner maintained that space
constraints may not permit them to install the STPs. Officials,
however advised the hotel owners to explore the possibility of
establishments coming together and install STPs to jointly cater to
their requirements.

Meanwhile, Colva Sarpanch Alaudin has said that 12 out of the 13
hotels have replied to the show cause notices by the body to plug
discharge of sewage and other waste in the water bodies.

He said most of the establishments have denied their involvement in
discharging the waste, prompting the Pollution Control Board to carry
out random inspection of the hotels.

On Jun 25, 10:50 pm, curtorimun...@gmail.com wrote:
> GSPCB directs Village Panchayat to ascertain the discharge of sewage and other waste in the water bodies
>
> http://www.oheraldo.in/news/Local%20News/PCB-warns-establishments-aga...
>
> ---
> This message was sent by curtorimun...@gmail.com viahttp://addthis.com.  Please note that AddThis does not verify email addresses.

Avnish Jolly

Jun 26, 2010, 5:19:06 AM6/26/10
to SAFE - Social Action Foundation for Equity
Polluting Colva hotels told to submit plan of action
http://www.oheraldo.in/news/Local%20News/Polluting-Colva-hotels-told-to-submit-plan-of-action/38203.html

HERALD REPORTER

Polluting Colva hotels told to submit plan of action

HERALD REPORTER
PANJIM, JUNE 25

The Goa State Pollution Control Board has given the several hotels in
Colva, who were slapped with show-cause notices for violating
Hazardous Waste Rules and Air and Water Act, time until this month-end
to submit a plan of action to meet the measures set by the Board.
Representatives of the hotels, Colva Civic and Consumer Forum (the
complainant) and the village panchayat officials attended a hearing on
July 22 where the GSPCB officials made it clear the plan of action has
to be ready within seven days.

It was made clear to the hotels, some of which have not set up
sewerage treatment plants as per the Board’s recommendations, to
submit a bank guarantee of Rs 1 lakh for installing the necessary
equipment to take care of the sewage water.

Chairman of the Board Simon de Souza said, “Within seven days if the
hotels don’t take the necessary steps to set up the STPs we will have
no choice but to move for closure of the establishments that don’t
show compliance.”

Officials who carried out inspections after the show-cause notice
period ended on June 5 said the situation is not all that good in the
area where sewage water was left untreated. There is some compliance
but it is very minimal, they observed.

They said some of the hotels have a difficulty to set up the STPs as
they don’t have enough space. These have to give us alternative
solutions in the plan of action, they stated.

Thirteen of the hotels were slapped with notices for flouting the Air
and Water Acts on May 20 and six among these were also found to be
operating in contravention of the Hazardous Waste Rules. Directions
were issued to the Colva village panchayat and the Directorate of
Health Services to ensure that eateries, restaurants and shacks in the
Colva area where the Board couldn’t do much discharged their solid
waste and sewerage in a scientific manner.

CRUISE CONTROL: Meanwhile, some of the cruise boats which were found
discharging wash water and sewage water in the river Mandovi in the
capital city have been directed to install holding tanks on their
vessels. These boats were also slapped with show-cause notices
sometime in May.

A hearing of cruise boat representatives and officials of the Captain
of Ports was held on June 18 where the former asked time to install
the holding tanks for collection of toilet waste.

The CoP officials who were present also made it clear that they would
see if the holding tanks are installed by the cruise boats before
giving the sea worthiness certificates to the vessels which is an
annual feature.

The Board asked the cruise boat representatives to submit a bank
guarantee of Rs 1 lakh each installation of the holding tanks.
They have agreed to install the tanks in a phased manner by October
this year.