Elderly in tricity spend twilight years of their life in loneliness, despair

1 view

Avnish Jolly

Apr 2, 2012, 12:23:38 AM4/2/12
to socialactionfou...@googlegroups.com

Elderly in tricity spend twilight years of their life in loneliness, despair

Sanjeev Singh Bariana
Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, April 1
March 27, 2012: A 94-year-old, Dayawanti, was found dead at her residence in Sector 18. The victim reportedly died of suffocation as she left her cigar burning when she fell asleep. She is survived by two sons and two daughters, all of whom are settled in London.

January 2011: In January last year, a 75-year-old mother of a Panjab University teacher was found dead at her house in Sector 21. Her death came to light more than a week after her death after the body was decomposed beyond recognition.

The two incidents, quoted above, are not specific cases of elderly crying for care in the city or allegations of personal neglect, however, these definitely are reflection on the index of the falling care of the elderly in the tricity.

The Chandigarh Senior Citizens Association puts the figure of senior citizens (above the age of 60) in the city alone, currently, at more than one lakh, out of 11 lakh approximately, which is considerably high going by the limited geographical area of the city. The problem can be better understood in the perspective of the figures given by the US Census Bureau report, 2009, which has projected a 55 per cent increase in the overall population in India by 2050. More importantly, during the same period the population of senior citizens(above 60) is expected to increase by 326 per cent and those above 80 by 700 per cent.

Chandigarh does have old age homes and also government schemes for the elderly under the Social Welfare department, however, a sizable majority of the cases of negligence of the elderly go unreported. “One of the biggest reason is that it is very difficult for the elderly to come out and speak against their kin. Our tradition does not allow it and sometimes the elderly are not in a position physically to do so,” said Dr AS Khera, president of the Seniors Citizens Association, Mohali.

An 80-year-old lady staying alone in a one-kanal house, in Sector 7, said, “Times have changed and so have family structures. Family members of a number of elderly in my category are working outside the city. We are living with a deep sense of loneliness and often feel uncared for.”

She added, rather mildly, “I know certain elders are sitting too rigidly on their property and not allowing any concessions to the young. This problem needed to be looked into from this angle as well.”

A classic example, in this category of the affected elders, is that of a former Chartered Accountant. He is associated with eight different associations in the tricity. Sadly, he himself is staying with his wife in a small rented apartment because the family of his son “has made it impossible to live in my own house”.

The senior citizen associations are filled to the brim with tales of children ill treating their elders or fighting for property. “The problem is aggravated because of the property prices in the tricity touching the sky. My son said I just needed to sell one property to ensure a king’s life him, his wife and kids,” a wailing elderly said.

Daljit Singh Grewal, president of the Chandigarh Senior Citizens Association, showed a letter of an 81-year-old Surjit Kaur, a resident of a four-kanal huge residential property in Sector 28. She has alleged ill treatment by her son and, in fact, has lodged a police case”.

Grewal said, “We have approached the administration for land allowing a housing society for elders. However, there has been no response.”

Khera said, “A housing project coming up for the elderly coming up in Amritsar was worth considering where their daily needs and health will be part of their stay package. The administration here can think of similar projects with necessary alterations.”

Local options for the elderly

1- Ahluwalia Old-Age Home - Mohali

2- Mansa Devi Ashram -Panchkula

3- Home for the Old and Destitute - Sector 15

4- Sai Seva Samiti Ashram -Sector 30

5- Senior Citizen Home, Sector 43

6- Day Care Centres in Chandigarh

7- Lajpat Rai Bhavan - Sector 15