收件者:SAFE - Social Action Foundation for Equity
Britain bans anti-terrorism advertisement
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/uk/Britain-bans-anti-terrorism-advertisement-/articleshow/6294054.cms

IANS, Aug 11, 2010

LONDON: An anti-terrorism advertisement of British police encouraging
people to report about "suspicious" neighbours who do not talk much or
keep their curtains closed has been banned for causing offence to the
law-abiding citizens.

The radio promotion campaign by the Association of Chief Police
Officers (ACPO) drew 18 complaints, including 10 from listeners who
said it was offensive for encouraging people to report law-abiding
citizens who acted in the ways described.

Others said it could encourage people to harass or victimise their
neighbours and made an undue appeal to fear, The Telegraph reported.

The advertisement listed "suspicious" behaviour as: "The man at the
end of the street doesn't talk to his neighbours much, because he
likes to keep himself to himself. He pays with cash because he doesn't
have a bank card, and he keeps his curtains closed because his house
is on a bus route."

"This may mean nothing, but together it could all add up to you having
suspicions. We all have a role to play in combating terrorism. If you
see anything suspicious call the confidential Anti-Terrorist
Hotline... If you suspect it, report it," the ad said.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) Wednesday banned the
advertisement, saying: "We considered that some listeners, who might
identify with the behaviours referred to in the ad, could find the
implication that their behaviour was suspicious, offensive.

"We also considered that some listeners might be offended by the
suggestion that they report members of their community for acting in
the way described. We therefore concluded that the ad could cause
serious offence."

The Metropolitan Police said the promotion addressed the issue that
terrorists lived within communities, "and sometimes what appeared to
be an insignificant behaviour could potentially be linked to terrorist
activities".

The behaviour listed in the advertisement was based on trends
identified by police and had been included in evidence given at recent
terrorism trials, the police said.

However, the purpose of the campaign was not to raise fear or paranoia
but to raise awareness of the hotline in the context of the current
"severe" threat level from international terrorism, a police spokesman
said.

Talksport, which broadcast the advertisement, said that the script
avoided stereotyping and made no appeals to prejudice, instead
focusing on activities which "together" could "add up" to indicating
illegal activity.

The ASA found that it was not sensationalist, did not encourage or
condone harassment or victimisation and did not make an undue appeal
to fear. It ruled that it must not be used again in its current form.
回覆所有人
回覆作者
轉寄
0 則新訊息