identi.ca FOAF indexed yet?

Dan Brickley

Jul 6, 2008, 3:19:58 PM7/6/08
to social-g...@googlegroups.com, evan.pr...@gmail.com
Hi there

The new microblogging service identi.ca exposes FOAF (alongside use of
various other nice open tech). I've had a page there for a few days
but it doesn't show in SGAPI and I'm impatient; is there any way the
site could be prioritised for SGAPI?

For example my page is http://identi.ca/danbri and in the xhtml head is:
<link rel="meta" href="http://identi.ca/danbri/foaf"
type="application/rdf+xml" title="FOAF"></link>

Which looks good. I'm wondering if the SGPI has indexed this all yet
(or in general whether the Google crawler is hitting the site).

There is one minor thing in the FOAF (which Evan asked me about but I
missed replying until now as I was on vacation:

It has markup like this:

<Person rdf:about="http://identi.ca/user/226">
<mbox_sha1sum>08445a31a78661b5c746feff39a9db6e4e2cc5cf</mbox_sha1sum>
<holdsAccount>
<OnlineAccount>
<accountServiceHomepage
rdf:resource="http://identi.ca/"></accountServiceHomepage>
<accountName>danbri</accountName>
<homepage rdf:resource="http://identi.ca/danbri"></homepage>
</OnlineAccount>
</holdsAccount>

...which is fine, but hits a gap in FOAF practice: we haven't nailed
down reliably how to name the relationship that holds between the
OnlineAccount and the URI <http://identi.ca/danbri>. In identi.ca we
see foaf:homepage used for that relationship. Which makes some sense.
But other sites have been using the more verbose
foaf:accountProfilePage which we began speccing for this role. In fact
I am considering a further simplification as promising: making URIs
like http://identi.ca/danbri and http://del.icio.us/danbri simply *be*
the URIs of the "online account" they're associated with. This
pragmatic bit of modelling hasn't been rolled out yet. In the
meantime, it's probably worth including 'accountProfilePage' (instead
of homepage) to be closer to what other sites have.

Here is friendfeed for example:

<foaf:holdsAccount>
<foaf:OnlineAccount>
<foaf:accountServiceHomepage rdf:resource="http://del.icio.us/"/>
<foaf:accountProfilePage rdf:resource="http://del.icio.us/danbri"/>
<foaf:accountName>danbri</foaf:accountName>
</foaf:OnlineAccount>
</foaf:holdsAccount>
from http://friendfeed.com/danbri/subscriptions?output=foaf

And here is similar from mybloglog:
http://www.mybloglog.com/buzz/members/danbri/foaf/ (although they mess
up the accountName property, I'll report that).

Anyway, since SGAPI is about finding friends on new social sites, and
identi.ca is just one of those (and exposes FOAF) it seems a nice
service to try to use SGAPI for. Brad and co., can you check to see if
it's showing in the indexes?

cheers,

Dan

--
http://danbri.org/

Brad Fitzpatrick

Jul 7, 2008, 12:15:16 AM7/7/08
to social-g...@googlegroups.com, evan.pr...@gmail.com
Yup, they're showing up.  I forced yours to be indexed immediately.

And thanks for the pointer.  identi.ca looks nice ... good support for all the stuff I love (openid, foaf, xfn, jabber, ...).  I'll have to play with it more.