area info

Kimberly A Boyd-Bow

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
well, it's that lovely time in my life when i have to start thinking about
graduate school...so, i was wondering if anyone lives/has lived in any of
these areas to be able to tell me what the queer community/general
atmosphere of the area is like:

university of oregen (eugene)
austin, texas
raliegh/durham/chapel hill area of nc (i went to school here a number of
years ago, so i have a basic idea, but a refresher/update might be nice)
area around Arizona State University...

thanks!

Kimberly
ka...@acsu.buffalo.edu
www.buffalo.edu/~kab5

*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*
i'd rather learn from one small bird how to sing
than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance...
--e e cummings

--
Soc.women.lesbian-and-bi is a moderated newsgroup. The moderation policy
and FAQ are available at <http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~wjfraser/swlab/>.

Leslie Michaelis

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99
K.

I moved to Austin from the Midwest about two-and-a-half years ago, sight
unseen, with almost no regrets. Austin is a relatively friendly community
with a fairly large population of open, educated, and accepting people.
Austin has only has a population of about 500,000, so you will continuously
run into people you have at least met in some very odd places. East TX is
not so friendly, however, and there are only a few large cities within
convenient driving distance. The weather is absolutely beautiful nearly the
whole year round. The landscape is not worth mentioning.

The women I've met here are sweet, full of southern hospitality, and very
spiritual (if that's to your liking). If you are into sports (which I am
sad to say I am not), you can find some group in town active in nearly
anything you could name that doesn't involve snow and a few that do.

UT is enormous for any university. If you are a grad student, you should
still be able to have close contact with the community in your program.

I know I'm being vague, but the particulars may be overwhelming since I'm
not certain what your interest or curiosities are. If you want a better
description, you can email me at TheT...@bigfoot.com.

Leslie Michaelis
Austin, TX

Valkyrie

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99
In article <1.3g=qy2_^2...@panix.com>,

Kimberly A Boyd-Bow <ka...@acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote:
>well, it's that lovely time in my life when i have to start thinking about
>graduate school...so, i was wondering if anyone lives/has lived in any of
>these areas to be able to tell me what the queer community/general
>atmosphere of the area is like:
>
>university of oregen (eugene)

Eugene is a lovely city -- it's a major liberal enclave, lots of hippies and
counter-culture types. One of the easiest places I have found to live
vegetarian, too.

I would guess (it's been a few years since I lived in Oregon) that Eugene
and Portland remain the major queer centers of Oregon.

Jeliza
--
Do what thou wilt is the whole of the law,
but there is always chaos to consider.

Roving Reporter

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99
On 9 Apr 1999, Valkyrie wrote:
>In article <1.3g=qy2_^2...@panix.com>,
>Kimberly A Boyd-Bow <ka...@acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote:
>>well, it's that lovely time in my life when i have to start thinking about
>>graduate school...so, i was wondering if anyone lives/has lived in any of
>>these areas to be able to tell me what the queer community/general
>>atmosphere of the area is like:
>>
>>university of oregen (eugene)
>
>Eugene is a lovely city -- it's a major liberal enclave, lots of hippies and
>counter-culture types. One of the easiest places I have found to live
>vegetarian, too.
>
>I would guess (it's been a few years since I lived in Oregon) that Eugene
>and Portland remain the major queer centers of Oregon.

Portland is my *favorite* big city--still a touch of the farm there, but
very well organized and has all the amenities such as a farmer's market and
a huge well-stocked bookstore. (They still have them, I hope?)

I recently found out that Eugene and Portland are also two cities with
large (for Oregon) Deaf communities. (That and Salem, which has the Deaf
school.)

--
Therese Shellabarger - tls...@concentric.net
http://www.concentric.net/~tlshell/ Shalom chaverot!

Linda

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
Leslie Michaelis wrote:

> K.
>
> I moved to Austin from the Midwest about two-and-a-half years ago, sight
> unseen, with almost no regrets. Austin is a relatively friendly community
> with a fairly large population of open, educated, and accepting people.
> Austin has only has a population of about 500,000, so you will continuously
> run into people you have at least met in some very odd places. East TX is
> not so friendly, however, and there are only a few large cities within
> convenient driving distance. The weather is absolutely beautiful nearly the
> whole year round. The landscape is not worth mentioning.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Austin is actually quite beautiful, but you have to get away from MOPAC
or the interstate to see it. I recommend you start by visiting Mt.
Bonnell park. There's a killer stairway (couldn't take my mother
because there doesn't appear to be any handicapped access) but the view
is definitely worth making the climb. The "Hula Hut", off Lake Austin
Blvd, has a great view of Lake Austin and some pretty decent Tex-Mex (I
recommend the tubular chicken enchilada, and ask for the jalepeno ranch
dressing for the tortilla chips). The "Oasis" on south Lake Travis has
an absolutely breath-taking view and is a popular place from which to
watch the sunset. For a couple of scenic drives try Scenic Drive in
Tarrytown and Balcones Drive from 2222 to Old Bull Creek. There's much,
much more.

> The women I've met here are sweet, full of southern hospitality, and very
> spiritual (if that's to your liking).

Yep, lots of sweeties here!

> If you are into sports (which I am
> sad to say I am not), you can find some group in town active in nearly
> anything you could name that doesn't involve snow and a few that do.
>
> UT is enormous for any university. If you are a grad student, you should
> still be able to have close contact with the community in your program.

Austin is a geek Mecca (even Dijkstra lives here!) with lots of computer
companies (IBM, Tivoli, Dell, etc.). It's also the "live music capitol
of the world" (it says so in the airport). The movie industry is
starting to be a significant player; "EdTV" premiered downtown at the
Paramount (Ellen and Anne were in town for it). Sandra Bullock lives
here and has started a movie production company. Several months ago, a
couple of guys I worked with took a few days off to be extras in a Tom
Arnold movie (don't remember the name) that was shooting downtown.
Geeks, musicians/artists, and movie celebs make for an interesting, and
fun, mixture.

I really like Austin. There's a couple of hot months in the summer, but
it doesn't feel as bad as some other southern US cities I've lived in --
probably because all of the lakes and trees. The rest of the year has
beautiful, mild weather. Some of my co-workers wear shorts year-round
(yes, we have a casual dress policy).

Linda
Austin, TX (where else?)