[marines] Digest (11/24/2001 18:01) (#2001-45)

Veterans News & Information Service

Nov 25, 2001, 5:35:10 PM11/25/01
newsletters at the following address:
http://www.vnis.com/html/newsletters.html
(#2001-45) - Topics This Issue:

1) Military And Civilian Rehearse Catastrophe Response
2) 13th MEU takes cashless system to USS Bonhomme Richard ARG
3) 13th MEU sergeant uses combat experience to lead
4) MCRC announces 2001 NCOIC of the Year
5) Best in the Business
6) Marine follows mom's lead

Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 08:32:53 -0800

Subject: Military And Civilian Rehearse Catastrophe Response

Submitted by: MCB Camp Lejeune
Story by Sgt. Arthur Stone

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C.(November 19, 2001) -- Military fire and rescue workers
from Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune and Marine Corps Air Station New River
joined forces with their civilian counterparts from Onslow County at Albert
J. Ellis Airport Nov. 17 to assist in an emergency response exercise
conducted by the airport.

The exercise scenario, which involved the response of approximately 25
emergency response agencies and organizations, focused on the simulated
crash of a passenger aircraft, according to Onslow County Administration
special projects officer, Lori Brill, of Jacksonville.

At least 40 to 50 emergency response vehicles and 150 to 175 emergency
response personnel participated with representatives from local fire,
rescue, emergency medical services, law enforcement, crisis response
counseling, public information, safety, and the incident command and control
system.

The Federal Aviation Administration requires airports to hold an emergency
response exercise every three years in order to maintain airport
certification. The purpose of the exercise was to test the airport and local
emergency response agencies' ability to handle a major accident at the airport.

During the exercise simulation the Military-Civilian Task Force for
Emergency Response (MCTFER) organization activated to establish incident
command and control during the exercise.

The MCTFER enhances a mutual-aid relationship in emergency services among
Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, Onslow County and all municipalities.
Organizations that are a part of the task force include Marine Corps Air
Station New River's Aircraft, Firefighting and Rescue, Marine Corps Base
Camp Lejeune's Provost Marshal Office and Emergency Medical Services, Onslow
County's volunteer fire and rescue units, the Red Cross, Salvation Army and
North Carolina Forestry Service.

"You cannot weigh the importance of this. It's important to the extreme, and
it's a required recertification by the FAA." said Master Gunnery Sgt. Philip
Molloy III, Commander of the Special Incident Response Team (SIRT) and a
communication security management chief with II Marine Expeditionary Force
Headquarters Group.

Molloy said that first responders are very important during serious
incidents as most of Onslow County's fire and rescue squads are comprised of
volunteers and a majority of these are active duty military. These were some
of the first on the scene during the drill.

The mutual-aid responses have been used to manage several major events in
the past, such as a mass casualty event at Sneads Ferry, N.C., and a crash
of a military ambulance.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 08:34:31 -0800

Subject: 13th MEU takes cashless system to USS Bonhomme Richard ARG

Submitted by: 13th MEU
Story by Cpl. Nathan J. Ferbert

ABOARD USS BONHOMME RICHARD(Nov. 21, 2001) -- The 13th Marine Expeditionary
Unit has experimented with a lot of new technology and equipment throughout
its history, and now it is about to add another to its list - use of the
Navy-Marine Cash Card during its Special Operations Capable Exercise (SOCEX)
off the Southern California coast, Oct. 29 to Nov. 9.

"The Fighting 13th" was the first West Coast MEU to earn the SOC designation
and deploy with a force reconnaissance platoon. They were also the first to
deploy with landing craft, air-cushioned and an entire section of Avenger
air defense weapons systems. Earlier this year, they participated in Kernel
Blitz Experimental, becoming the first Marines to field various cutting-edge
military technologies.

Now, the 13th MEU will be the first Fleet Marine Force (FMF) unit to use the
Marine Cash MasterCard for the 1,200 Leathernecks aboard USS Bonhomme Richard.

Emblazoned with a gold Eagle, Globe and Anchor and the Core Values of
"Honor, Courage and Commitment," the card uses a computer chip (e-purse) to
store value for purchases made onboard the ship and a magnetic strip for
debit purchases and Automated Teller Machine (ATM) account access.

Marines and Sailors can use the e-purse feature to buy items at
point-of-sale terminals in the ship's store, as well as in recreational
areas and at vending and game machines. The card's debit feature allows for
cash withdrawals at more than 529,000 ATMs worldwide, or purchases wherever
MasterCard is accepted.

The Naval Supply Systems Command introduced the idea and JP Morgan - a
worldwide firm specializing in banking and financial services - developed
the cards, point-of-sail terminals in the ship's store and tellers. Funds
can be transferred from Marines' primary banks to the magnetic strip of the
card and then to the chip, or vice versa, without a transaction fee from JP
Morgan.

The 13th MEU and USS Bonhomme Richard were chosen to stress-test the system
and report the "pros and cons" to JP Morgan with the hopes of streamlining
an improved card Navy- and Marine Corps-wide in the near future, said GySgt.
Marcos Gomez, the 13th MEU's Disbursing Office chief and a native of
Brooklyn, N.Y.

"The 13th MEU and USS Bonhomme Richard are the prototype for this program,"
said 1stLt. Sean L. Brock, the 13th MEU Disbursing officer who hails from
Redondo Beach, Calif. "The Marines on this deployment will directly affect
the future of this program in the entire Marine Corps - East Coast, West
Coast and overseas."

The ATMs At Sea program, still used on most ships, issues Marines and
Sailors an ATM card that is one dimensional, said Gomez, who used the older
program during the 13th MEU's last deployment. Marines could only withdraw
money from a split-pay account at a few locations on the ship. Payday was
the only time money could be put into the account, and funds couldn't be
transferred from the card to another account. Also, withdrawals took weeks
to post on a Marine's account, making it harder to track and maintain an
accurate balance.

When someone transfers money into a Marine Cash Card, it starts accruing
interest from JP Morgan - not available for ATMs At Sea. Another major
benefit of the card is that is decreases the amount of money needed by the
disbursers on the ship exponentially - a security factor, Brock said.

The most secure feature of the card is the four-digit pin number each Marine
is given when the card is issued, which can also be changed by the
cardholder to match other pin numbers he or she might use, Brock said.

The pin is required for every transaction except vending machines. The chip
can hold $1,000, but once a Marine spends $25 on vending purchases, they
have to go to a teller to re-enter their pin and put more money on the chip.
If the card was stolen, someone could only spend $25 at a vending machine
before being required to enter the pin.

"Compared to the old ATMs At Sea, this program allows Marines to keep their
money in a home bank account and accrue interest, so they only have to use
money on ship when they need it."

Marine Cash Cards should become a way of life during the 13th MEU's upcoming
deployment to the Western Pacific and Arabian Gulf region and with some
constructive criticism from a few good men and women, it may soon be a hit
Corpswide.

And after 13 battle-tested days at sea off the Southern California coast,
Marines and Sailors of the 13th MEU and USS Bonhomme Richard will look
forward to coming ashore SOC certified and with a little extra money in
their bank accounts.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 09:02:54 -0800

Subject: 13th MEU sergeant uses combat experience to lead

Submitted by: 13th MEU
Story by Cpl. Nathan J. Ferbert

ABOARD USS BONHOMME RICHARD(Nov. 21, 2001) -- One 13th Marine Expeditionary
Unit sergeant, and former grunt, is itching to get trigger time again, but
for now, he'll settle for helping to plan missions instead of executing them.

Brandon A. Manning remains hopeful, despite the urge to be a ground-pounder
again, that he can contribute to any engagements the 13th MEU may be called
upon in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

Manning and the 13th MEU are in the last stages of the workup phase for a
scheduled six-month deployment to the Western Pacific and Arabian Gulf
region in January.

Manning, a sergeant and one of two enlisted Marine Air-Ground Task Force
planners for the 13th MEU, may have traded his pack and Dragon missile
system for a laptop computer and a proxima, but he believes helping plan
missions is essential to the overall success of the men on the ground.

Being one of only 200 MAGTF planners in the Marine Corps is a source of
pride for Manning, and he goes about his job now as fervently as when he was
a young anti-tank assault guided missileman, digging fighting holes and
hiking many miles, said the 26-year-old, who hails from Amarillo, Texas.

"I still have the desire to be on the ground, especially since (the
terrorist attacks on New York and Washington, D.C.) Sept. 11," said Manning.
"It tweaks me and hurts that I'm not an 'oh-three' anymore, but I say to
myself, 'Let's see how I can facilitate our special operations.'"

Sporting subtle gold-rimmed glasses, straight brown hair, brown eyes and
protruding ears, some onlookers may say "POAG" (Person Other than A Grunt),
but Manning is no stranger to a combat environment. The father of two
deployed with the 13th MEU from 1994-1995 when he was with Weapons Company,
Battalion Landing Team 3/1, taking part in Operations Desert Storm Cease
Fire in Kuwait and Restore Hope in Somalia.

At seven years old, Manning started watching what he calls "killer Marine
movies," like "The Sands of Iwo Jima," and had an instant desire to be a
Marine. By age 15, he had asked a Marine recruiter to save him a spot in
boot camp in 1993 and that he wanted to be an infantryman.

Upon graduating high school, Manning headed to Marine Corps Recruit Depot
San Diego to start his career. By the time he graduated recruit training
with E Co., 2nd Battalion, then continued training with Gulf Co., Marine
Combat Training, and Alpha Co., School of Infantry, Manning knew there was
something special about his choice to be a Leatherneck.

"The letters of each company I had been with in bootcamp, MCT and SOI added
up to spell EGA, which everyone knows is the symbol of Marines - the Eagle,
Globe and Anchor. Chesty has risen," Manning proclaims.

Leaving SOI is another experience Manning has not forgotten.

"Our whole company stood on the grinder at SOI. Back then, units didn't get
sent to an infantry unit together. We watched everyone get split up with
people going to cool places like Camp Lejeune, Security Forces, Silent Drill
Platoon, etc. There was about 10 of us and they said, 'You guys are going to
3/1 about three miles down the road.' I got to meet all the guys who had
been heckling me on the humps during MCT and SOI."

It didn't take the new Marine long to get his sea legs or his feet wet in
action. During Operation Restore Hope, Manning's unit was one of the last to
leave as part of the United Nations effort there. While manning (no pun
intended) his machinegunner's post with other Marines, Brandon earned the
combat action ribbon for taking sporadic enemy fire on several occasions.

"I remember filling sandbags with another Marine when we saw the dirt kick
up a few feet from us," Manning explained. "We jumped behind the berm and
started shoveling ourselves into a crevice for cover. Our first sergeant was
a crusty Vietnam vet and he just started laughing in a weezy smoker's voice
and said, 'You can never fill enough sandbags when rounds are coming
downrange."

Manning also recalled seeing a platoon of Marine light armored vehicles to
his right flank engage a bunker full of Somali rebels armed with
rocket-propelled grenades. Somalis were warned to leave immediately, but
continued stocking the bunker. Manning said he couldn't understand how
rebels took casualties and kept going back to the bunker.

The impact of those days in Somalia didn't hit Manning until a while after
the confrontations.

"While we were there, we were just 20-year-old lance corporals,
smokin'-n-jokin.' But when we got back to the ship, it sunk in that people
had died. Nobody was depressed, but it was an odd feeling. I'd never seen
anyone die before."

After Somalia and the MEU, Manning gathered his experiences and moved on to
1st Marine Regimental Reconnaissance Platoon, where he learned how to "stop
being a lance corporal among lance corporals" and got a lot smarter about
life in general.

Pulling his military identification card out of his left breast pocket (the
only place acceptable for grunts), Manning described leaving the active duty
ranks to join a reserve tank battalion. Regretting the decision, he decided
to follow his calling - graduating the Marine Corps with at least a 20-year
degree, he said.

So he returned to active duty, and after a year of on-the-job training and a
three-week course in Little Creek, Va., he was born-again hard as the 13th
MEU's enlisted MAGTF planner.

Manning's job consists of managing information in the form of a web page,
tracking "enemy" units on a database and supervising the development of
briefs during the Rapid Response Planning Process for the MEU's missions,
said Capt. Mike Roach, assistant operations officer, 13th MEU.

"On the busiest day, Sgt. Manning might be handling six briefs
simultaneously," Roach explained. "Sergeant Manning is the type of Marine
who can handle multiple tasks and still serve as a mentor to his junior
Marines. They look up to him as a former infantryman who earned a Combat
Action Ribbon in Somalia. But he doesn't task his Marines with anything he's
not willing to do himself."

While balancing several crucial tasks for the 13th MEU, Manning still finds
time to keep the mood light in the operations office - a knack he learned
from his dad.

"He's very high-spirited," said LCpl. Matthew G. Pebley, 22, from Covington,
Wash., and an operations clerk with the 13th MEU. "He makes you want to come
back to work despite some of the frustrations you face. He'll usually quote
something out of a movie - stuff you just wouldn't think of when you're all
stressed."

When asked to give an example of one of Manning's humor tactics, Pebley
replied, "What hour of the day do you want?"

Whether it's relieving tensions at work, accomplishing missions or trying to
fulfill his dream of a career in the Corps, Sgt. Brandon A. Manning has gone
before and is helping those about to go.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 09:04:17 -0800

Subject: MCRC announces 2001 NCOIC of the Year

Submitted by: Marine Corps Recruiting Command
Story by Sgt. James Covington

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va.(November 21, 2001) -- The Marine Corps
Recruiting Command named Gunnery Sgt. Ronald S. Olsen, Non Commissioned
Officer In Charge of Recruiting Sub Station Grand Rapids, Recruiting Station
Lansing, Mich., 9th Marine Corps District, the MCRC 2001 NCOIC of the Year,
November 20.

Maj. Gen. Jerry D. Humble, Commanding General of MCRC made the announcement
during a ceremony here to honor the event.

"There is nothing more demanding than the job of recruiting quality young
men and women for our Corps," said Humble. "These Staff NCOICs are given the
difficult task of taking a group of Marines from various (Military
Occupational Specialties) and making them successful."

Olsen was selected as the top NCOIC from 555 NCOICs nationwide. Competitions
began at the RS level and progressed to a final competition at the
Recruiting Command.

District Commanders nominated a NCOIC of the Year to represent their
District at the MCRC competition. Gunnery Sgt. Gregory M. Cramer, NCOIC of
RSS Worcester, Mass., Represented 1st MCD; Staff Sgt. Bradley T. Lang, NCOIC
of RSS West Chester, Pa., represented 4th MCD; Gunnery Sgt. Keith A. Kinney,
NCOIC of RSS Temple Terrace, Fla., Represented 6th MCD; Gunnery Sgt. Elliott
N. Martinez, NCOIC of RSS Weatherford, Texas, represented 8th MCD; Olsen
represented 9th MCD; and Gunnery Sgt. Morice E. Ortiz, NCOIC of RSS Mission
Viejo, Calif., represented 12th MCD.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 09:06:22 -0800

Subject: Best in the Business

Submitted by: Marine Corps Recruiting Command
Story by Staff Sergeant Jeff Middleton

RECRUITING STATION NEW ORLEANS, LA. (November 10, 2001) -- Most Marines who
have worn the scarlet and blue trousers as the normal uniform of the day
will tell you that recruiting duty can be a duty different than any other.
Recruiting duty can be an uncertain and uniquely challenging tour.

To become a successful recruiter, according to an old career recruiter
saying, one must have the skills of a statesman, the tenacity of a bulldog,
a working knowledge of psychology, criminology, geography and slight of
hand. A successful recruiter must also have the tireless energy of a bill
collector and the honesty of a little league umpire, superstition not
discouraged. For some Marines it's their mastery of systematic recruiting,
for others it's their ability to talk to people or to be personable. For
Gunnery Sgt. Gordon Miller, it just pulses through his veins.

In fiscal year 2000, Miller earned recruiter of the year for the 8th Marine
Corps District, Western Recruiting Region and was the Marine Corps
Recruiting Command Recruiter of the Year. This year, Miller went all the way
to complete his mission... to be the best recruiter in the Marine Corps.

Miller began his recruiting career in February 1994. He is what you might
call a natural. He grew up in a small town, and when he turned 17 decided
that he wanted to be a Marine. While in the delayed entry program, Miller
said he referred many people to his recruiter that joined the Marine Corps.

"He told me he would get me the referral credits and get me promoted while I
was in boot camp," said Miller, "but it never happened. Still to this day, I
remember that. That was when I learned the value of taking care of someone."

Miller attributes his taking care of people attitude as the biggest
contributor to his success.

"From the initial commitment to when they are in the (Fleet Marine Force), I
try to take care of them," said Miller. "If I told someone they were going
to get promoted, then they were. If a poolee was having a problem in math, I
helped them study. I (physically trained) with as many poolees as could come
at (5 p.m.) everyday. Still, to this day I call them. My last few months at
Recruiting Substation McComb, it became almost difficult because I've put
135 people in the Marine Corps and a lot of them call me. I'd spend hours a
day talking on the phone to people I've put in who are stationed all over
the world."

Miller says the success he enjoys now has been carried over in large part
from the effort he put in during his first year.

"I didn't work nearly as hard this year as I did last year," said Miller.
"The reason is because when you take care of people, they are happy and
ecstatic about working for you. They tell friends you're a good guy. They
tell people you're honest and all this helps your monthly mission. If you're
fake or not honest, then that's what they will tell people."

Miller's first year was difficult by his account.

"You cannot be lazy," Miller says. "When you come out on recruiting duty,
any problems you have, you have to set them aside.

"You have to be a hard worker and try to make family time but it is going to
be very seldom. I neglected my family my first year a lot more than I should
have. At this point it has paid off and I can spend a lot more time with
them, but that first year was difficult. You kiss your wife and kids on the
forehead before the sun comes up in the morning and do the same when you get
home at night. Some nights I'd sleep in McComb rather than driving home."

But Miller did not learn of the challenges that were coming his way by
accident. Miller talked with a former recruiter who told him and his wife
what to expect.

"We were prepared," said Miller, "not to the fullest extent, but we were
prepared. My wife was in college and we lived close enough so she could go
there, so I drove 1 1/2 hours every day into work. It really helped that we
lived near family. If it weren't for my grandparents and my wife, I don't
think I would have been as successful as I was."

Miller's grandparents, Gordon and Shirley Miller, were the ones who raised
him. When Miller told his grandmother of his decision to join the Marine
Corps, she cried, according to Miller. But his mind was made up. He had
talked to other branches, but they didn't interest him. He met his Marine
recruiter at Sumrall high school in Sumrall, Miss.

"He had a (booth) set up and that night he came to my house and talked to me
and my grandparents," explains Miller. "He sold me and the next day I went
to the (Military Entrance Processing Station). My grandmother was a
schoolteacher and she offered to pay for me to go to college instead of
joining. Today she is ecstatic about the Marine Corps. I guess she sees what
it has done for me."

Miller's wife, Sarah, has been with him from the beginning. He was married
10 days before leaving for boot camp and he contributes her support to every
success he enjoys.

Though it may be hard to believe, Miller did not do very well at recruiters'
school.

"I was in the bottom 20 percent," said Miller. "I was never really good at
academics in the classroom environment. I learn better by applying things,
practical application. I had a really good turnover, two months, when I came
out here. I give that a lot of credit."

According to Miller, the recruiter he replaced, Gunnery Sgt. Joseph Hebert,
helped him tremendously. The two of them would go to high schools together,
meet staff, and set up appointments. If they left the school with three
appointments, they would break up the interviews. Hebert would do the first
and third interview, with Miller doing the second, followed by a critique.

"My first day I chewed out a kid who had earrings in both ears," said
Miller, "acting like a hard (Noncommissioned Officer). He said you can't be
like that because you're dealing with civilians."

Miller said he later started developing his own way of doing things.

"In recruiters' school you learn the basic foundation and product knowledge,
but once you get out here you adapt your own style to the foundation you
have. If you go to a high school and talk to a kid exactly like it is in the
book, you are going to sound like an idiot. But if you use it in your own
style, it works."

Hard work and product knowledge are two things that are essential to
success, according to Miller.

"On Mondays, I kill the phone and set up three to five appointments for each
day of the week," said Miller.

"Another thing that helped me is that I'm very flexible and know enough
about a lot of things to sound like I know a lot," said Miller. "I played
sports in high school and in the Fleet Marine Force and am very diverse."

Miller said he tried to get key kids to join.

"If you get a key man like a (popular) football player to join," explains
Miller, "then four to five will follow. If you get a popular girl to join,
then the same thing will happen."

Miller says there are 100 reasons that probably contributed to his success
but puts the support he receives from his wife and grandparents at the top.
And he always goes back to that lesson he learned the hard way when he
joined to always take care of the people you are putting in the Corps.

While Miller may have missed out on becoming a private first class while in
boot camp from referral points, he has more than made up for it with the
lesson he learned and the success that has followed. Miller has been in the
Marine Corps for seven years and was promoted to Gunnery Sergeant on Oct 2,
2001.

"I had a burning desire to be the very best recruiter there is," said
Miller. "My goal when I went to recruiters' school, under a reenlistment
option, was to do three years and leave as a Gunny. I expected to win
(Marine Corps Recruiting Command) Recruiter of the Year last year and was
really disappointed when I didn't. My RSS's attitude when I started out was
that second place was the first place looser."

Miller has a few months left on his three-year tour and is now the NCOIC of
RSS Monroe, LA. He is scheduled to go to career recruiters course and
possibly will stay on recruiting duty.

Miller's commanding officer, Major Peter Venoit, said that Miller defines
the term superior achiever.

"He is an outstanding Marine," said Venoit. "He sets the example and that is
his strongest asset to recruiting future Marines. From day one he has
enjoyed the challenge of making future Marines and has not slowed down a bit."

"Being a canvassing recruiter was very rewarding," said Miller. "I want to
see how being an NCOIC is before I plan to stay out here for the rest of my
career."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 09:07:46 -0800

Subject: Marine follows mom's lead

Submitted by: MCLB Albany
Story by Lance Cpl. Nicholas Tremblay

MARINE CORPS LOGISTIC BASE ALBANY, GA(November 21, 2001) -- Throughout
history, the Corps' legacy has been passed from generation to generation.
Recently, this legacy took a less traditional route from mother to son.

Pvt. Kevin A. Ross earned the title Marine, at Parris Island, S.C., Oct. 26.
His mother, Master Sgt. Lisa A. Dunson, a supply chief with Fleet Support
Division here, graduated from boot camp Oct. 27 1980. She now has the
opportunity to impart Marine Corps leadership and experience to her son.

Ross did not always want to join the Marine Corps, he said. He originally
planned to attend college, but after graduating high school, he did not feel
ready for secondary education.

Ross admits that his mother slightly influenced his decision to join the
Corps. It is a decision that he is proud of and happy with, he said.

"My whole life I was brought up around Marines," said Ross. ŅMy mom told me
that the Marine Corps was better than all of the other services, so I took
her word for it."

Ross found boot camp challenging, difficult and, at times, he admits
questioning his decision to join. But motivating letters with encouraging
words from his mother helped him through it all.

Dunson decided not to push her son into the Marine Corps. She let him choose
his own path in life. Ross saw everything the Corps can do for an
individual, by observing his mother's Marine development.

"Because I was a recruiter, a lot of people thought I told him he had to
join, but he had a choice," said Dunson.

Ross was attracted to the Marine Corps because he attended different Marine
functions with his mother, he said. He saw, first-hand, how Marines are a
family and take care of each other. He also liked the camaraderie that takes
place among Marines and the special bond they share Š a true band of brothers.

"When my son graduated boot camp I was extremely proud," said Dunson, with a
smile. "He never wrote me to say he wanted to quit."

Ross will go to 29 Palms to be trained in the communications field, once his
10-day boot camp leave is over. He has only been in the Corps a short time,
so he is not sure if he will make it a career, he said. Nevertheless, his
mother thinks he made a good decision and that the Corps can be a stepping
stone to another career.

"Even if he only serves four years, he will be mature, he will have
discipline and he will have structure in his life," said Dunson, who has
spent 21 years in the Marine Corps. "After his first term he'll be ready for
the world. Marine Corps boot camp is the best thing that could have happened
to him."

Now that Ross is in the Marine Corps, he will be away from his mother, but
she is not worried.

"My motto has always been, take care of your troops," said Dunson, "and I
know the Marine Corps will take care of him. I will miss him, but he is in
good hands."