Catalog tangent

Ka...@worthington's.fuzzballs

May 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/10/98

For some reason I get quite a few catalogs. The good news is they're
plus size catalogs, the bad that they still don't carry clothes that
fit my extremely generous hips! *sigh* Otoh, my housemates like them,
since they're about 28-32-ish, tho' they won't admit it.

Yes, there is a point to this ramble. *grin* Ever since Making It Big
decided to offer free shipping this summer, I've noticed other catalogs
jumping on the free shipping bandwagon. Both Chadwicks and Sihouettes have
free shipping available, according to the most recent catalogs I have,
not to mention delayed billing. Too bad MiB doesn't offer that!

Kate
k a w o r t h (at) ilstu dot edu
http://www.ilstu.edu/~kaworth

"Preach always. If necessary, use words."

- St. Francis

Mabray44

May 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/10/98

On >10 May 1998 >Kate@Worthington's.fuzzballs wrote:

>not to mention delayed billing. Too bad MiB doesn't offer that!

Agree, agree, 100%. I just graduated & got a teaching job for the fall for
which I want to be the most fabu dressed fat teacher they ever saw. Prob is,
right now I'm living below the poverty level. Ordering one out fit per month
til fall. I also must depend on the few 34W+++ catalogs available. Most
rescent favorites are Myles Ahead, Love Your Peaches (just placed an order),
Big On Batik, and as always Making It Big. I wish Plus Woman would get with
the program on their fabrics. Those big, tacky flowered polyester things just
don't cut it. Also have had good success with Sweeter Measures, but they too
tend too suffer from an absence of interesting prints.

Thanks for a nice, nonstressful post, Kate. New to the NG circuit and getting
blasted for my opinion is wearing me out. *grin/sigh*.

Mary Ann

Mother of Jasper, Mattie, and Ayla...the coolest cats in the world

LeAnn

May 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/10/98

> I just graduated & got a teaching job for the fall for
> which I want to be the most fabu dressed fat teacher they ever saw. Prob is,
> right now I'm living below the poverty level.

Congrats....I'm a teacher also....remember mix and match everything. It
stretches your teaching money.

LeAnn

CathTheGr8

May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98

How do I get the Making it Big Catalog ?

Hedonism : the doctrine that pleasure or happiness is the sole or chief good in
life.
Bare it all: Physically and Mentally.

Mabray44

May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98

>How do I get the Making it Big Catalog ?

www.bigwomen. com = online catalog

gw...@bigwomen.com

I've ordered from them for about 6 years and I love their clothes. Although
I'm a bit leery of the lightweight gauze material. I seem to catch it and tear
it on something the first timeI wear it.

Cecily Walker

May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98

In article <199805110542...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
mabr...@aol.com (Mabray44) wrote:

> I've ordered from them for about 6 years and I love their clothes.

I've had mixed results with MiB clothing. I ordered an absolutely gorgeous
tee dress from them a few years ago..this wonderful terracotta color, with
a little pocket on the front of the dress. I ordered it in a size 3
thinking it would fit just fine ( I run the size gamut from a 26 to a 30),
but the danged thing just *hangs* off my shoulders. I get tired of having
to fight with it throughout the day.. I guess the neck was cut too wide or
something. I'm hesitant to go down to a size 2 because I just don't think
it'd fit.

Also, except for the dress I bought, their clothes tend to be a
bit...matronly...for my tastes. I'm still relatively young and I like
stylish things. Not necessarily trendy, but stylish. Other than the dress
I bought, there hasn't been anything in recent catalogs that I'd even
consider buying.

Cecily (in search of high quality natural fabric clothing that doesn't
make me look like I'm 40 - and in the budget of an impoverished graduate
student)

--
cecily at mindspring dot com
http://www.babygrrl.com

ConnieG999

May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98

i...@the.end.of.my.rope (Cecily Walker) writes:

>I've had mixed results with MiB clothing.
>Also, except for the dress I bought, their clothes tend to be a
>bit...matronly...for my tastes.

Cecily, what you consider matronly I consider classic and tailored. You are
correct that you won't find ruffles and bows with MIB. I love their clothes.
Add some great jewelry, scarves, belts, etc, mix and match their pieces and
colors, add a few separates of your own, and you can make any kind of statement
you want. Their fabrics and quality are superb. They're my favorite clothing
source!

Ka...@worthington's.fuzzballs

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

CathTheGr8 <catht...@aol.com> wrote:
: How do I get the Making it Big Catalog ?

The URL for their website is http://www.bigwomen.com. You can
also request one via email at m...@bigwomen.com.

In fact, I'm sitting here typing this in my new black jersey shorts
and my very neat Iris coloured gauze O'Keefe blouse. =)

While we're discussing clothes, does anyone know where the heck
I can find some cheap summer T-shirts? The local big&tall shop has them
for about $12, but they're a heavy weight T, too hot for summer. WalMart
has some for $6, but they only go up to 3-4X. *sigh*

Cecily Walker

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

In article <199805112150...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
conni...@aol.com (ConnieG999) wrote:

> Cecily, what you consider matronly I consider classic and tailored. You are
> correct that you won't find ruffles and bows with MIB

ICK! I hate ruffles and bows! And I guess my definition of classic and
tailored is different from yours. My definition is more along the lines of
Ulla Popken (http://www.ullapopken.com). Their clothes are stylish, well
made, without all that drapey stuff (like those drapey pants they sell in
MiB). I generally don't like circle skirts, tunics that come down to my
knees, henley tops or anything made out of gauze. I did take another look
at their latest catalog. The baby doll dress is cute. That egyptian linen
outfit is nice too, but again the tunics are too long.

But hey, to each her own. :)

Cecily

ConnieG999

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

i...@the.end.of.my.rope (Cecily Walker) writes:

>And I guess my definition of classic and
>tailored is different from yours. My definition is more along the lines of
>Ulla Popken (http://www.ullapopken.com).

Ah! Well, "there's the rub," so to speak. I can't afford Ulla Popken, nor do
they come in my size.

> without all that drapey stuff (like those drapey pants they sell in MiB).

They do sell jeans, straight legs, leggings, etc - not just drape pants!
And their "gauze" is not really gauze but a lightweight crinkle cotton.

>But hey, to each her own. :)

So very true, and obviously you are smaller than I, and able to buy from
sources I can't. I probably also have a more casual lifestyle and/or workplace
than you, and that makes a big difference too..
There are many things MIB sells that I wouldn't wear, but I'm relatively sure
there are things Ulla sells that you wouldn't wear either. So we just buy what
we like and ignore the rest. (G)

Patrice

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

I'm just relieved to find a few other people on this group who do not
particularly like the clothes sold by Making It Big. I was beginning to think
I was from another planet or something by the way everyone else raves about
them. I've always thought most of their clothes look like, well, fat lady
clothes. I wear a Size 30, but I still like to wear stylish clothes. I've
never owned a tunic (I think they look sloppy on almost everyone) and I don't
like flowing dresses (I prefer coatdresses or column dresses).

I did order a pair of pants and a matching jacket from MIB last year and the
outfit is okay, but not something I have worn that much. I get the feeling
that MIB is targeting people who are older than me.

This is just my opinion. I hope I haven't offended anyone....

In MIBs defense, I LOVE the fact they use large models (HURRAY!!!!) and they
use natural fibers (No polyester - yuk), I may order from them again some
day....

ro...@peds.bsd.uchicago.edu

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

In article <199805110228...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,

catht...@aol.com (CathTheGr8) wrote:

> How do I get the Making it Big Catalog ?
>
> Hedonism : the doctrine that pleasure or happiness is the sole or chief good in
> life.
> Bare it all: Physically and Mentally.

Making it Big is on the web at www.bigwomen.com. You can order a catalog
from there, as well as browse the current catalog.

--robin

Terri Williams

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

Kate@Worthington's.fuzzballs wrote:
snip

> While we're discussing clothes, does anyone know where the heck
> I can find some cheap summer T-shirts? The local big&tall shop has them
> for about $12, but they're a heavy weight T, too hot for summer. WalMart
> has some for $6, but they only go up to 3-4X. *sigh*

FWIW, Lame Giant's newest catalog has one pocket t-shirts in lightweight
cotton/poly with matching leggings in loads of colors, up to size 5X
(58-60) for 11.88 each. BTW, I usually am just too big for 32, and I
can wear LB/Roaman's 4X tops.

posted and emailed

May's Pearls of Wisdom

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

Never heard of Lame Giant could you post their 800# and/or their website.
Thanks
May

Heidi

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

I agree with you, although I just bought some wonderful rayon separates
that feel so comfy from them. I just don't want the
big-shirt-over-leggings look in 20 different colors! I guess for some
people that's what's comfy for them and far be it for me to deny anyone
that comfort.
--
Heidi

"I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam."--guiltily taken from a former co-worker?

Priscilla H Ballou

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

May's Pearls of Wisdom (veck...@kandinsky.hf.intel.com) wrote:
: Never heard of Lame Giant could you post their 800# and/or their website.
: Thanks
: May

I believe that's another name for "Lane Bryant."

Priscilla

ro...@peds.bsd.uchicago.edu

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

In article <uzm2LBa...@nih2naac.prod2.compuserve.com>,

Patrice <70003...@CompuServe.COM> wrote:

> I'm just relieved to find a few other people on this group who do not
> particularly like the clothes sold by Making It Big. I was beginning to think
> I was from another planet or something by the way everyone else raves about
> them. I've always thought most of their clothes look like, well, fat lady
> clothes. I wear a Size 30, but I still like to wear stylish clothes. I've
> never owned a tunic (I think they look sloppy on almost everyone) and I don't
> like flowing dresses (I prefer coatdresses or column dresses).
>
> I did order a pair of pants and a matching jacket from MIB last year and the
> outfit is okay, but not something I have worn that much. I get the feeling
> that MIB is targeting people who are older than me.
>
> This is just my opinion. I hope I haven't offended anyone....
>
> In MIBs defense, I LOVE the fact they use large models (HURRAY!!!!) and they
> use natural fibers (No polyester - yuk), I may order from them again some
> day....

Everyone has different tastes, of course--and you haven't offended me. :) I
just wanted to contribute my view.

I'm not sure that MIB is necessarily targeting people older than you, but
they may be targeting people bigger than you, or shaped differently than you.
When I wore a size 24 (at 5'2", in college), I loved column dresses and
hated tunics. Now that I wear a size 32, I love princess seamed dresses with
big flowing skirts and tunics that don't accentuate my tummy--I won't buy
anything that isn't meant to be worn tucked in that is less than 31" long,
because I hate clothes that leave part of my tummy hanging out below the hem.
"Tunic length" sweaters, for instance, don't look like tunics on me--they
hit at my hips, rather than partway down my thigh. I have been pleased to
see a few more tailored items in the past few catalogs, and shorter jackets
with skirts, but in general I'm pretty comfortable with the loose and flowing
look.

I'm not that old (33), and absolutely hate "old lady clothes" of the variety
that are regularly featured at many of the plus size chains. They look great
on my grandmother, but are not for me. But I would rather wear "fat lady
clothes" that are flattering to me (I _am_ a fat lady, after all!) than
scaled-up "thin lady clothes" that aren't. YMMV, of course.

For what it's worth, a friend at seminary was looking at my spring MIB
catalog when I got it, and was drooling over the green gauze jacket/tee/skirt
outfit featured on page 4--she's 30 years old and a size 12, and was
disappointed that she would probably be too small for a size 1.

May's Pearls of Wisdom

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

I heard it called other names but never that one. Thanks

May

Cecily Walker

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

Patrice wrote:

> I'm just relieved to find a few other people on this group who do not
> particularly like the clothes sold by Making It Big. I was beginning to think
> I was from another planet or something by the way everyone else raves about
> them. I've always thought most of their clothes look like, well, fat lady
> clothes.

Not that there's anything wrong with being a fat lady :), but I know
what you mean. That's why I described them as "matronly". I think they
definitely skew their items toward an older audience.

Connie mentioned the prices of MiB versus other retailers. Actually, I
find that the clothes at MiB are out of my price range. $48 for a
*t-shirt*? $42 for leggings? I understand that the prices at their
stores are a bit less, and people who live in that area have the benefit
of sales. But there are never any sales in the catalog, and I just can't
justify paying that much for a plain t-shirt when I can go someplace
else and get a nicely tailored blouse for about that price. Guess it's
the impoverished grad student in me. :)

One catalog retailer I *really* love (and wish I could afford) is Peg
Lutz. I love just about everything in her collection. She's on the web
too at http://www.plus-size.com. She has a good eye for what is
stylish, and her clothes aren't quite as matronly. Her vast selection of
fabrics make it possible to get almost any look you want.

Lenore Levine

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

Cecily Walker <nur...@panther.gsu.edu> writes:

>Not that there's anything wrong with being a fat lady :), but I know
>what you mean. That's why I described them as "matronly". I think they
>definitely skew their items toward an older audience.

Another thing: They don't carry all things in size 18-20. Sheesh,
aren't we big enough for them?

>One catalog retailer I *really* love (and wish I could afford) is Peg
>Lutz.

What's this about her being difficult to get along with? Don't
know anything about this myself, just curious.

P.S. Another thing I'm curious about: What are you studying,
Cecily? Good luck with it, whatever...

Lenore Levine

--
"...it clearly states in the sixth book of the Torah that children are
to be either roasted or boiled in water, NOT breast milk. Here in the

ConnieG999

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

Cecily Walker <nur...@panther.gsu.edu> writes:

>Not that there's anything wrong with being a fat lady :), but I know
>what you mean. That's why I described them as "matronly". I think they
>definitely skew their items toward an older audience.

I'm frustrated because I don't understand! Please explain to me why you think
MIB's clothes are "matronly" or geared to an "older audience." I know we all
have different personal tastes, and I agree their clothes are relatively
"plain", but I really don't think they're matronly, especially as I posted
earlier, when accessories are added.

>Connie mentioned the prices of MiB versus other retailers. Actually, I
>find that the clothes at MiB are out of my price range. $48 for a
>*t-shirt*? $42 for leggings?

I agree with that assessment, and I don't buy t-shirts from them either, nor do
I buy their leggings. There are indeed items in their catalogues I think are
overpriced, so I purchase those items elsewhere.

>One catalog retailer I *really* love (and wish I could afford) is Peg

>Lutz. I love just about everything in her collection.

I too think Peggy Lutz clothing is super, but in reality, there's not one
single thing she sells that I would wear on a daily basis. A once-a year event
maybe.

As I mentioned in a previous note, I think a lot of our opinions (and
patronage) of certain retailers depends on our lifestyle, from employment to
leisure. My day-to-day "uniform" is a t-shirt & jeans, whereas many women need
the "business suit" type of outfit. And truly, the casual atmosphere (and
unrelenting heat/humidity) here in Central Florida seldom calls for anything
dressier than a pantsuit.
Again, from each supplier, we take what we need and ignore the rest!

Mabray44

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

>>Cecily Walker <nur...@panther.gsu.edu> writes:
about Making It Big

>>Not that there's anything wrong with being a fat lady :), but I know
>>what you mean. That's why I described them as "matronly". I think they
>>definitely skew their items toward an older audience.

Am I an older audience at 44? They were the first company I found that made
clothes in natural fibers 6 years ago, and I love their color palette (some
years better than others).I bought a handpainted dress I love, and their
limited Bali prints are great. At 5'9" I love long tunics and a bit of flow.

Lenore writes:

>They don't carry all things in size 18-20. Sheesh,
>aren't we big enough for them?

Please, I'm at the top of their size chart now, and I definitely have a more
limited selection than 18-20's do, so if they want to limit their market to my
needs that's just fine with me.

Keep in mind, these are relatively small businesses that want to keep their
on-hand inventory as small as possible to cut down on unsaleble losses at the
end of a season. The more sizes you offer, to a potentially smaller market,
the lower the profit...no profit=no company, and I don't want them out of
business.

Mary Ann

Siobhan Perricone

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

On Tue, 12 May 1998 21:26:45 GMT, Cecily Walker <nur...@panther.gsu.edu>
wrote:

>Connie mentioned the prices of MiB versus other retailers. Actually, I
>find that the clothes at MiB are out of my price range. $48 for a
>*t-shirt*? $42 for leggings?

I agree that the prices are out of this world. That's why I don't own more
of their clothes.

>I understand that the prices at their
>stores are a bit less, and people who live in that area have the benefit
>of sales.

This is a bit untrue. They do have sales that you can take advantage of.
They are often noted on their web page, and you can call them to find out
what's available on clearance. More work, but the sales they have do offer
deep discounts.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because

Siobhan Perricone

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

On 12 May 1998 21:32:44 GMT, lev...@orion.math.uiuc.edu (Lenore Levine)
wrote:

>Cecily Walker <nur...@panther.gsu.edu> writes:
>
>>Not that there's anything wrong with being a fat lady :), but I know
>>what you mean. That's why I described them as "matronly". I think they
>>definitely skew their items toward an older audience.
>

>Another thing: They don't carry all things in size 18-20. Sheesh,

>aren't we big enough for them?

Oh for gosh sake, Lenore. You can get an 18-20 just about ANYWHERE for a
decent price. They carry up to a 24-26 at places like Walmart and Ames.
Which means you get to take advantage of amazing deals in clothes if you
want to. *I*, however, am severely limited by my need for a 30-32. Why in
the world are you complaining about *one* mail order company that
specializes in larger sizes at three times the cost?

--
Siobhan Perricone
"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair; then I

Dawn O' The Dead

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

On Wed, 13 May 1998 15:58:36 GMT, ast...@sover.net (Siobhan
Perricone) wrote:

>On Tue, 12 May 1998 21:26:45 GMT, Cecily Walker <nur...@panther.gsu.edu>
>wrote:
>
>>Connie mentioned the prices of MiB versus other retailers. Actually, I
>>find that the clothes at MiB are out of my price range. $48 for a
>>*t-shirt*? $42 for leggings?
>
>I agree that the prices are out of this world. That's why I don't own more
>of their clothes.

There's a store here in Portland (OR) called "Magical Creations".
Lovely store, lovely people. Beautiful stuff, cottons and silks and
hand-painted things, too, sized 14 up to 5X. It ain't cheap, but I buy
things there occasionally because I need a few really good pieces.

Last time I was there the clerk suggested I pair the dress I was
trying on with some blue leggings. She handed me a pair of Danskins -
$45. I looked at her in open-mouthed astonishment. "Forty-five dollars
for leggings? Are you insane??"

Maybe it's just me. I paid $66 for the dress...and they wanted $45 for
leggings. It just seemd stupendously irrational to me.

Dawn
-----
"I got a simple rule about everybody.
If you don't treat me right, shame on you." - Louis Armstrong
http://teleport.com/~javagrrl

Judy Borus

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

I wear a lot of Making It Big Clothes. I usually buy a skirt and matching
blouse. I wear the blouse open with a shell or turtleneck, etc.
underneath. I don't wear slacks but the same thing idea would work with
slacks. The look is definitely NOT matronly.

Their crinkle cotton clothes wear like iron. A hundred times through the
washer and dryer and they look like new. The seams NEVER open or fray. I
just wish they would use some cotton prints.

This year they offered a bathing suit - it's great.

Cecily Walker

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

In article <199805130320...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
conni...@aol.com (ConnieG999) wrote:

> I'm frustrated because I don't understand! Please explain to me why you think
> MIB's clothes are "matronly" or geared to an "older audience." I know we all
> have different personal tastes, and I agree their clothes are relatively
> "plain", but I really don't think they're matronly, especially as I posted
> earlier, when accessories are added.

Hmm...lemme see if I can give you a good definition of my style of
fashion. I guess I'd call it "urban casual." Jeans with tailored blouses.
Dresses (made of jersey or some other stretchy knit) with a cardigan or
sheer blouse thrown about the shoulders. Clunky/funky shoes. Wide leg
khakis or jeans with a baby tee or baby tank worn under a shirt that
doubles as a jacket or a blouse. Understated but very nice accessories.
Understated diva-ness. Think Nia Long/Gwyneth Paltrow/Erika Alexander
(from "Living Single"), only fat.

I work at a university, in a VERY casual environment, but I also live in a
very fashion conscious town (Atlanta..oh stop laughing.) :) I'm only 29
years old. I *like* plain clothes, but I prefer things that don't have a
lot of drape, a lot of extra material, or just hang from my body. I don't
like big batik printed tunics that just scream "Fat lady store!" To me,
that describes almost everything in the MiB catalog. I'm more of a "Mode"
type of person, even if I do fall outside of their size range. MiB has
more of an "earth mother" type of vibe. There's nothing wrong with that
style if it suits you. It just don't suit the kid. :)

Peace,

Cecily Walker

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

In article <6jaf5s$efl$1...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>, lev...@orion.math.uiuc.edu
(Lenore Levine) wrote:

> P.S. Another thing I'm curious about: What are you studying,
> Cecily? Good luck with it, whatever...

Actually, I wrote that from my work address, not my school address. I'm
working on a Master's degree in African and African American Studies.
Hopefully, I'll be at Cal in the Fall of '99.

Cecily Walker

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

In article <199805130347...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
mabr...@aol.com (Mabray44) wrote:

> Am I an older audience at 44? They were the first company I found that made
> clothes in natural fibers 6 years ago, and I love their color palette (some
> years better than others).I bought a handpainted dress I love, and their
> limited Bali prints are great. At 5'9" I love long tunics and a bit of flow.

Well...with all due respect you're older than I am. But then so is Patti
LaBelle, and I *love* her (current) style! And I'm only 5'7"...for me
height is a precious commodity. Anything that makes me look truncated is
to be avoided, and that's what those long tunics do on my body. Most of
my height is in my legs. I like flow too, but IMO there's a difference
between flow and drape. Jersey flows. That slinky material flows. Cotton
crinkle drapes.

Don't get me wrong. I like the fact that MiB makes natural fiber clothes.
I just wish I could find something in their catalogs that I liked.

Cecily Walker

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

> just don't want the
> big-shirt-over-leggings look in 20 different colors!

YES! Yes Heidi, that's exactly what I mean. You hit it right on the head. :)

Kimberly Major

May 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/14/98

Excuse my ignorance but I've never heard of Making It Big. Can someone
enlighten me? Thanks! :-)
Kimmers

KIMBERLY MAJOR EZV...@prodigy.com
"If the day ever comes when I can't run, I shall walk. When I can't walk,
I shall sit in a chair and smell the wind..." - author unknown

Kristin Satterlee

May 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/14/98

Interesting...I'm 5'2" (almost) so I'd say height is even more
precious to me (5'7", man, you're a giant!) :) , but I think tunics
elongate my torso. I love them.
Though, actually, a lot of the time I just don't bother. I'm
short and round and that's that - I love babydoll tops, they accentuate
my shape and make it look cute. I don't mind being cute - especially when
I counterbalance the cute with wickedly clunky shoes that say "get out of
my way or I'll step on you!" :)
Usually I wear black jeans and a T-shirt, though.

> --
> cecily at mindspring dot com
> http://www.babygrrl.com

-Kristin Satterlee

gonna walk away from trouble
with my head held high
then look closer you'll see
luck in my eyes

k.d. lang

Lenore Levine

May 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/14/98

ast...@sover.net (Siobhan Perricone) writes:

>On 12 May 1998 21:32:44 GMT, lev...@orion.math.uiuc.edu (Lenore Levine)

>wrote (about _Making it Big_):

>>They don't carry all things in size 18-20. Sheesh,
>>aren't we big enough for them?

>Oh for gosh sake, Lenore. You can get an 18-20 just about ANYWHERE for a
>decent price. They carry up to a 24-26 at places like Walmart and Ames.
>Which means you get to take advantage of amazing deals in clothes if you
>want to. *I*, however, am severely limited by my need for a 30-32. Why in
>the world are you complaining about *one* mail order company that
>specializes in larger sizes at three times the cost?

For a very simple reason. I like their many of their clothes, and
wish they would carry more in my size. Thus, I have the right to
complain, if I do so politely.

In general, commercial companies don't sell ready-made clothes
to fit all possible human bodies. Sometimes this is for sensible
economic reasons. For example, 7-foot-tall women are extremely
rare; thus, most businesses can't afford to make their styles
long enough for them. On the other hand, firms do restrict their
size range out of intertia, simply because they haven't been asked.
Or, with wider sizes, they may do so out of anti-fat bigotry.

In any case, I feel no compunction about asking any firm to
carry clothes in a size I want, or think other people might
want. After all, they aren't under any obligation to obey me.
The only obligations they have to me, you or the size ac-
ceptance movement are to answer my requests politely, treat
people of all sizes with respect, show models in their line's
size range, and try to offer as wide a range as they possibly
can. And what they can afford is a judgment call, and a
tricky one.

Siobhan Perricone

May 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/14/98

On 14 May 1998 17:18:33 GMT, lev...@orion.math.uiuc.edu (Lenore Levine)
wrote:

I an understand your reasoning in this. I apologize for my peevish reply,
your comment about 'aren't we large enough' really struck a nerve. Not an
excuse, just a reason.

Cecily Walker

May 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/14/98

In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.980514...@jaka.ece.uiuc.edu>,
Kristin Satterlee <kri...@jaka.ece.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Interesting...I'm 5'2" (almost) so I'd say height is even more
> precious to me (5'7", man, you're a giant!) :) , but I think tunics
> elongate my torso. I love them.

Although I'm ashamed to admit it, the main reason I want to be taller
(5'10" or more) is because I'm convinced the weight would 'balance out'
better.

Cecily (putting on asbestos suit in anticipation of the flames)

Leah Adezio

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

Cyn wrote:

> On Thu, 14 May 1998 22:08:53 -0500, i...@the.end.of.my.rope (Cecily
> Walker) wrote:
>
> >In article
> <Pine.LNX.3.95.980514...@jaka.ece.uiuc.edu>,
> >Kristin Satterlee <kri...@jaka.ece.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> Interesting...I'm 5'2" (almost) so I'd say height is even
> more
> >> precious to me (5'7", man, you're a giant!) :) , but I think tunics
> >> elongate my torso. I love them.
> >
> >Although I'm ashamed to admit it, the main reason I want to be taller
> >(5'10" or more) is because I'm convinced the weight would 'balance
> out'
> >better.
> >
> >Cecily (putting on asbestos suit in anticipation of the flames)
>
> Why on earth would anyone flame you--oh, wait, I forgot--some people
> need no reason to flame <G>

No flames here, either. I see nothing wrong with choosing clothing to
balance out one's silhouette. I'm wider through the hip, so I will try
to choose tops and jackets with a bit of shoulder padding so that I'm a
little more balanced. I tend to go for 'long over lean' myself, so that
I appear straighter -- and it makes me look a little taller (I'm just a
tad under 5'5", myself).

It was kind of neat -- last night, I attended my 8 year old's second
grade music concert, wearing a long taupe/black column styled jumper
(with the little tie in the back), that has slits up to the knee, along
with a poet's blouse with ruffled cuffs. After the concert, I was making
small talk with the woman sitting behind me (also a large woman) and she
commented how her daughter, who was about 15 and of slender build, kept
commented on how much she loved my outfit and wanted to know where I
bought it. (Fashion Bug, clearance rack, a total of $22.00 for both
pieces, btw <g>). The daughter was disappointed that it didn't come in
her size range. It was cool to know that, at size 26 and age 37, I was
wearing something that a teenager really wanted. :)

> Honestly, though, I can't see why you'd be ashamed of wishing you were
> taller! When I was younger I often wished I was shorter--I felt like a
> giant because I hit my current height of almost 5'9" when I was in the
> 6th grade (11 years old). Now I occasionally wish I were taller--I
> enjoy being too big to ignore sometimes! <G> I'm not ashamed of either
> one, any more than I'm ashamed of occasional wistful thoughts of being
> a more "normal" size and having an easier time finding clothes. I'm
> not ashamed of my height or weight, any more than I'm ashamed of my
> hair color or my extremely fair skin--but that doesn't mean I haven't
> occasionally wished for black or really red hair, or that I wouldn't
> get a sunburn in 10 minutes without sunblock :-)

Same here, on all counts. Anymore, though, the only reason I sometimes
wish I were smaller is only because it is easier to find clothes. And as
far as the red hair thing goes, I love mine, but oh, do I have to watch
the sun. We had the first sunny, warm day that we've had in almost two
weeks here. During lunch at work, I went outside for about 10 minutes to
enjoy the warmth. Later in the day, my boss looked at me and asked me
what was wrong with my face. I went and looked in the mirror and sure
enough, my cheeks and nose were already pink...just from 10 minutes
outside. Ack. :)

Guess it's time to haul out the sunscreen again. :)

Leah