Well, Texas.

Seth J. Fogarty

May 13, 2004, 5:44:43 PM5/13/04
So it seems that the allure of Texas has grabbed me as well. Sometime in
late August I will be moving to Houston to attend Rice University. Fear
the skirt-wearing comp-sci theoreticians.

On a more somber note, I am leaving all of my girlfriends and
playpartners behind for at least a year. Thus I believe I will have a
newfound interest in attending munches... somehow I don't think my
advisor is going to want to talk with me about my new suede shoes, none
the less my new suede flogger. So I'm open to any gossip about what's
good and what's not in the houston area.

--
Arav bipsum | "The same person. No difference at all. Just a
Bicameral neep-neep | different sex." -Orlando (Orlando, 1992)

lady...@planetarydefense.org

May 14, 2004, 5:53:22 PM5/14/04
On Thu, 13 May 2004 21:44:43 +0000 (UTC), "Seth J. Fogarty"
<sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>So I'm open to any gossip about what's good and what's not in the houston area.

Drop a note to Travis. Last time I heard from him he was taking a
well deserved vacation and touring the country, so I don't think he's
actually in residence in Houston, but he knows **everything**.

Keep in mind that Volcano and nesei are in San Antonio, Ed & Casey are
in Austin, PtF is in some obscure burg up North and there's a whole
flock of us in Dallas.

[My apologies to any of the other members of the Texas contingent I
may not have mentioned.]

LadyGold, High Sheriff of Nettingham, OCF, PBB (& DBS?)
Lumber Cartel Unit 2514 (tinlc)
--
"The wages of sin is death but so is the salary of virtue, and at least the evil get to go home early on Fridays."
Terry Pratchett - Witches Abroad

Judi

May 14, 2004, 11:56:48 PM5/14/04
On Fri, 14 May 2004 21:53:22 GMT, lady...@planetarydefense.org wrote:

>On Thu, 13 May 2004 21:44:43 +0000 (UTC), "Seth J. Fogarty"
><sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>
>>So I'm open to any gossip about what's good and what's not in the houston area.
>
>Drop a note to Travis. Last time I heard from him he was taking a
>well deserved vacation and touring the country, so I don't think he's
>actually in residence in Houston, but he knows **everything**.
>
>Keep in mind that Volcano and nesei are in San Antonio, Ed & Casey are
>in Austin, PtF is in some obscure burg up North and there's a whole
>flock of us in Dallas.
>
>[My apologies to any of the other members of the Texas contingent I
>may not have mentioned.]

Like me, here in Houston? *g*

I didn't see the original post, not sure why (filters probably grabbed
and ate it) but I will try to answer the one line that I see asking
for info about the city. I am going on the assumption that the asker
is looking for more than info about the bdsm scene in Houston, which
is wide and varied and can be found in small form at these sites:

WIPS: http://www.wipsociety.net/
EROS: http://members.tripod.com/~Houston_EROS/INDEX.HTM
HPEP: http://www.hpep.org/
3rd Friday: http://www.thirdfriday.unodir.org/
ClubFem: http://www.clubfem.com/
more info: http://www.houstonbdsm.com/Welcome.html

Please note that this is a very very very very small sampling of the
incredibly active Houston scene and that more can probably be found
just by doing a google.

As for what else is fun to do in town, the city is extremely ripe with
possibilities. The live music scene can be found at a couple of my
favorite holes in the wall... The Engine Room
(www.engineroomhouston.net ), The Last Concert Cafe
(www.lastconcert.com/), and the holiest hole in the wall, The Anderson
Fair (www.andersonfair.com). To catch art, music AND food all in one
place, look for The Next Door Coffeehouse
(http://www.thenextdoorcoffeehouse.org/index.htm ).

For amazing food, try Michelangelo's (Italian) on Westheimer, Yan
Sushi (sushi, of course) also on Westheimer, Mi Luna (tappas) in Rice
Village, Sambuca's (cuban) for jazz and an elegant dinner, downtown.

For theatre, the choices are endless, with everything from The Houston
Grand Opera to a new venue called Vistas. A google of "houston
theatre" should produce dozens of hits.

For more esoteric tastes, check the Mark Rothko museum, down in (where
else?) the museum district. While you're out that way, take a drive
past Rice University- it's spectacular, best seen at night- and then
stop into the Museum of Natural Science for the new Chocolate Exhibit,
butterfly terrarium, IMAX and planetarium.

If you just want to soak up the atmosphere of the city, the downtown
area has been revitalized and is hopping with 20-40 somethings until
late in the evening (traffic is still a bitch at 2 am, with crowds of
people club-hopping but the city is still amazingly safe- just make
sure you park your car and are prepared to walk a bit). Jazz, new age,
rock, country- all can be found in little clubs scattered in and
amongst dozens of little bistros, parks, fountains and sculpture
gardens and one very nice river walk. If you want to be utterly
tourist-y, look for The Aquarium marine park/restaurant/party
pavilion. You can't miss it, it's the huge blue *stuff* right in the
middle of the city.

Enjoy!

-----------------------------------

Judi & s/hubby
SSBB Dip. Corp., Houston, TX.

Forked Tongue

May 15, 2004, 1:56:18 PM5/15/04
Judi wrote:

All this and the Bush's came from Texas? !!!!

All you texans, your job is to make sure all your politicos are well kinked from now
on!

Sartan

May 15, 2004, 3:50:48 PM5/15/04
>From: Forked Tongue sp...@spamcop.net
>All you texans, your job is to make sure all your politicos are well kinked
>from now on!

Noted. Just don't try to sell them dildos ;)

Regards,
Sartan

---
Fine handcrafted sex machinest of uncompromising quality
Orgasm Alley Sex machines: http://www.orgasmalley.com/index.htm
Selected exclusive provider to CumBots:http://www.cumbots.com

Asmodeus

May 15, 2004, 4:29:52 PM5/15/04
sarof...@aol.comNOSPAM (Sartan) wrote in

> Noted. Just don't try to sell them dildos ;)

Didn't I read somewhere that they dropped those charges?

--
/"\ || Free Enterprise
\ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN || Limited Government

Sheherazade

May 15, 2004, 5:13:42 PM5/15/04

<lady...@planetarydefense.org> wrote in message

> Drop a note to Travis. Last time I heard from him he was taking a
> well deserved vacation and touring the country, so I don't think he's
> actually in residence in Houston, but he knows **everything**.

Travis is doing fine. I spent a couple of hours at his home last Saturday
throwing bullwhips and catching up, as I had not seen him in 18 months (I
have been in Belgium). I just saw him again not two hours ago at a local
venue; I didn't expect he would be there but it was a pleasant surprise to
see him again; I had just gotten a new bullwhip and we talked a bit about
that. ("Oh, is this for me?" Travis said as I handed him the Bernie-made 6
foot 16 plait whip. "No," I said. "I just bought it." "Ah, just as well,"
he replied. "It's too heavy anyway.")

Travis had a fire in his home some time ago- when exactly I don't know, as I
wasn't around. Apparently a lot of damage was done to the attic and the
associated roof support stuff, but repairs are proceeding apace. He is
living there, but I know he keeps busy getting on the road and doing whip
seminars here and there.

Travis Wilson is one of the most gracious and giving people I have ever had
the pleasure of knowing, and anyone new to the Houston scene will find him
to be a valuable friend.

Wendy

Louis

May 15, 2004, 5:18:44 PM5/15/04
Would anyone have Ed & Caseys email or web site in the Austin Area. I am
looking to get to meet like minded people. Any help would be appreciated.
I am a 45 year old male in a relationship with a lady but she is not into
spanking or bdsm.

Volcano

May 15, 2004, 6:06:39 PM5/15/04
In article <40A65963...@spamcop.net>, sp...@spamcop.net says...\

> All this and the Bush's came from Texas? !!!!

Actually, the Bush's came from Ohio by way of Connecticut.

--
,~~~~
/ \ Board Member: Darkest Desires Central Texas

Binder

May 15, 2004, 8:29:56 PM5/15/04
Volcano wrote:
> In article <40A65963...@spamcop.net>, sp...@spamcop.net says...\
>
>>All this and the Bush's came from Texas? !!!!
>>

> Actually, the Bush's came from Ohio by way of Connecticut.

Bush's Baked Beans?

Dan Holzman

May 15, 2004, 8:35:28 PM5/15/04

Forked Tongue <spam...@spamcop.org> wrote:

>All this and the Bush's came from Texas? !!!!

New England, actually. He merely went through Texas, riding on the
coat tails of his father's pretending to be Texan.

Dan Holzman

May 15, 2004, 8:37:05 PM5/15/04
In article <10addg4...@corp.supernews.com>,

There could well be a relation.

WHen I went to college in Ohio, I stood circle in the Coven in which I
trained with a woman named Bush, who was herself a distant relation.

Wolf Whitewater

May 15, 2004, 9:01:24 PM5/15/04
Dude, I am SO *not* going to help you cheat on your SO.
Besides, personal ads don't belong here, I believe.

Might want to do the honorable thing and try talking to her first. You'd be
surprised at what communication can accomplish. Even if she is adamantly
(oh, I'm sorry, I'm using big words) . . . Even if she really really hates
the idea of whipping, let's say, she might be into blindfolds or tying *you*
up. You never know if you don't ask. The worst she can say is no.

Whitewater

"Louis" <Goat...@gbronline.com> wrote in message

Volcano

May 16, 2004, 11:07:34 PM5/16/04
In article <10addg4...@corp.supernews.com>, binder...@yahoo.com
says...

Ah, a grammar flame. ;)

Well, I could claim that I was trying to be nice by not correcting the
party, so part of my mind was elsewhere.

Louis

May 17, 2004, 10:31:37 PM5/17/04
Already did the honorable thing. I didn't want to post the whole story kind
of long. Was just asking for any help in this matter. Any help ?
"Wolf Whitewater" <mcde...@umn.edu> wrote in message

darkness

May 18, 2004, 9:31:04 AM5/18/04
"Seth J. Fogarty" <sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote in message news:<slrnca7qur....@news.ks.uiuc.edu>...

> So it seems that the allure of Texas has grabbed me as well. Sometime in
> late August I will be moving to Houston to attend Rice University. Fear
> the skirt-wearing comp-sci theoreticians.
>
> On a more somber note, I am leaving all of my girlfriends and
> playpartners behind for at least a year. Thus I believe I will have a
> newfound interest in attending munches... somehow I don't think my
> advisor is going to want to talk with me about my new suede shoes, none
> the less my new suede flogger. So I'm open to any gossip about what's
> good and what's not in the houston area.

Fantastic university. Congratulations. Take your portable air con ;-).

Seth J. Fogarty

May 18, 2004, 3:30:52 PM5/18/04

I've been assured that every building is air conditioned. Or did you
mean for outside?

Lord Richard

May 18, 2004, 8:30:40 PM5/18/04
Seth J. Fogarty wrote:
> So it seems that the allure of Texas has grabbed me as well. Sometime in
> late August I will be moving to Houston to attend Rice University. Fear
> the skirt-wearing comp-sci theoreticians.

As someone said to me when I was planning to move here 2 years ago,
"Welcome to the swamp!"

--

Lord Richard
Virgins ravished. Spinsters satisfied.

People who want to share their religious views with you almost
never want you to share yours with them.

darkness

May 19, 2004, 3:53:55 AM5/19/04
"Seth J. Fogarty" <sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote in message news:<slrncakove....@news.ks.uiuc.edu>...

> > Fantastic university. Congratulations. Take your portable air con ;-).
>
> I've been assured that every building is air conditioned. Or did you
> mean for outside?

Yes. I mean probably every building in Texas (and every car) is
airconditioned. What you need is sort of the equivalent of a Dune
still-suit, but for humidity as well ;-).

darkness

May 19, 2004, 3:57:15 AM5/19/04
hol...@panix.com (Dan Holzman) wrote in message news:<c86d0g$pf9$1...@panix1.panix.com>...

I don't know if you ever read Molly Ivins' Texas Observer?

http://www.texasobserver.org/default.asp

Understanding Texas and its political culture is pretty key to
understanding American politics at least for an outsider: whether it
is LBJ, Bob Strauss (Carter's right hand man), the Bush family, Karl
Rove etc.

Texas is, like California and Florida, on the cutting edge of the
American future. The Hispano-American axis, the demographic changes,
etc. The rest of us will be more like them (even here in England)
only 20-30 years from now.

Dan Holzman

May 19, 2004, 11:01:17 AM5/19/04
In article <17f41cc6.04051...@posting.google.com>,

darkness <darkn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>hol...@panix.com (Dan Holzman) wrote in message news:<c86d0g$pf9$1...@panix1.panix.com>...
>> In article <40A65963...@spamcop.net>,
>> Forked Tongue <spam...@spamcop.org> wrote:
>> >
>> >All this and the Bush's came from Texas? !!!!
>>
>> New England, actually. He merely went through Texas, riding on the
>> coat tails of his father's pretending to be Texan.
>
>I don't know if you ever read Molly Ivins' Texas Observer?

Of course!

3 Reasons George H.W. Bush is not a Texan:

1) Texans do not refer to big trouble as "deep doo-doo."
2) Texans do not wear shorts with little blue whales on them.
3) Texans do not use the word "winter" as a verb.

Binder

May 19, 2004, 8:17:03 PM5/19/04
Volcano wrote:
> In article <10addg4...@corp.supernews.com>, binder...@yahoo.com
> says...
>
>>Volcano wrote:
>>
>>>In article <40A65963...@spamcop.net>, sp...@spamcop.net says...\

>>>Actually, the Bush's came from Ohio by way of Connecticut.
>>
>>Bush's Baked Beans?
>>

> Ah, a grammar flame. ;)

Naw, a grammer and ignorance (mine) joke.

> Well, I could claim that I was trying to be nice by not correcting the
> party, so part of my mind was elsewhere.

I've been trying to stay out of the political threads, with some little
success. As such, the fact that you were heading for GWNN is a happy
thought, for me.

At least I'm trying NOT to stay on topic for those threads.

merwench

May 19, 2004, 10:05:36 PM5/19/04
darkness <darkn...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Seth J. Fogarty" wrote:
>
> > > Fantastic university. Congratulations. Take your portable air con ;-).
> >
> > I've been assured that every building is air conditioned. Or did you
> > mean for outside?
>
> Yes. I mean probably every building in Texas (and every car) is
> airconditioned. What you need is sort of the equivalent of a Dune
> still-suit, but for humidity as well ;-).

Oh, if only such a luxury existed!

Here are the rules for parking in Houston:

1. Park as close as you can to the door, so you're in the
heat/humidity/regular deluges for as short a time as possible.

2. If rule #1 is undoable, then park in the nearest shady spot. Don't
worry about what the shade looks like NOW; calculate where the shade
will be and park there. It will be worth it.

Bonus tip: TINT YOUR WINDOWS!!!! Including an eye-brow tint across the
windshield. It will be worth it.

And now, for your edification and entertainment, rules for living in
Houston, from http://braden.weblogs.com/humor/houston:

1. You must learn to pronounce the city name. It is "U-stun." To
pronounce it as "Hugh-stun," only labels you as a foreigner or a new
comer [which is about the same thing to a native].

2. Forget all traffic rules that you learned elsewhere. Houston has
its own version of traffic laws: Hold on and pray! And don't let the
newscasts mislead you-there is no such thing as a dangerous, high-speed
chase in Houston! We all drive like that. You have to in order to stay
out of "their" way.

3. All directions begin with, "Go down to Loop 610," which, by the
way, has no beginning and no end.

4. The morning rush hour is from 6:00 to 10:00 A.M. The evening rush
hour is from 3:00 to 7:00 P.M. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday
morning.

5. If you actually stop at a yellow traffic light, you will be
rear-ended, cussed out and/or possibly shot. When yours is the first car
at a traffic light when it turns green, do not proceed until you count
to five -- this will help you avoid getting hit by all those who are
running the cross-traffic's red light.

6. Kuykendahl Road can be pronounced only by a native. Don't even go
there.

7. Construction on I-10, I-45, US 59 and Loop 610 is a way of life
and a permanent form of entertainment. I've lived here since 1959 and
I-45 has been under construction ever since that time.

8. Every major road has two names (i.e., I-45 South is Gulf Freeway;
US 59 is Southwest Freeway; I-10 West is Katy Freeway). That is so
newcomers won't be able to determine where the wrecks and the slick,
rainy roads are, even after they hear the traffic and weather reports.

9. All unexplained sights and smells are accounted for by the phrase,
"Oh, we must be in Pasadena!"

10. If someone has their turn signal on, the car probably has a
factory defect. It could also mean that a service attendant was
inspecting the car an hour ago.

11. All old ladies with blue hair driving pink Cadillacs have total
right-of-way!

12. The minimum acceptable speed on Loop 610 is 85. Anything less is
considered downright sissy. Beltway 8 has no limits; it's where the
professionals come to practice for NASCAR.

13. The wrought iron on the windows of homes in East Houston is not
ornamental.

14. Never stare at the driver of the car with the bumper sticker that
says, "Keep honking, I'm reloading." In fact, don't honk or stare at
anyone.

15. If you are in the left lane and going only 70 in a 55 mph zone,
those people are not waving when they go by.

16. Redheads with cell phones have no turn signals or speedometers in
their cars.

17. If it's 100 degrees, Thanksgiving must be next week

-----------------

merwench

--
If I want to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I'll put
shoes on my cat.

Binder

May 19, 2004, 10:53:35 PM5/19/04
merwench wrote:

> 6. Kuykendahl Road can be pronounced only by a native. Don't even go
> there.

Tease!

I'd say it Kyk'undoll, accent on the second syll-abul. If there is one.

Binder
--
LLEBOOTHSLG
remove my TAILS to email me

LususNaturae

May 19, 2004, 11:47:24 PM5/19/04
merw...@earthlink.net (merwench) wrote:

> 3. All directions begin with, "Go down to Loop 610," which, by the
>way, has no beginning and no end.

True story:

In 1952 my folks were driving cross-country. They stopped in a
mid-western city to ask a filling station attendant how to
connect with a particular numbered highway. The following was
offered in all seriousness.

"Well now...You could...[thoughtful pause] Naw, I don't guess
that would work. [another brief pause] Tell you what you do...
[Begin complicated directions] Then, if you look way down to
the right you'll see [] Avenue, and you really want to get down
there [pause, then a shake of the head] -- but you cain't."

--
Lusus Naturae

Judi

May 20, 2004, 1:59:46 AM5/20/04
On Wed, 19 May 2004 19:53:35 -0700, Binder <binder...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>merwench wrote:
>

>> 6. Kuykendahl Road can be pronounced only by a native. Don't even go
>> there.
>
>Tease!
>
>I'd say it Kyk'undoll, accent on the second syll-abul. If there is one.

You'd be close... there's an "r" sound in there, if you can believe
that. Accent on the first syllable..... pronounced: KIRK-un-doll.

Seth J. Fogarty

May 20, 2004, 10:13:22 AM5/20/04
On Thu, 20 May 2004 02:05:36 GMT, merwench wrote:
> Here are the rules for parking in Houston:

I feel strangely compelled to defend chicago. And by defend I mean
villify.

> 1. Park as close as you can to the door, so you're in the
> heat/humidity/regular deluges for as short a time as possible.

Snow, plowing, woolen suit pants.

> 2. If rule #1 is undoable, then park in the nearest shady spot. Don't
> worry about what the shade looks like NOW; calculate where the shade
> will be and park there. It will be worth it.
>
> Bonus tip: TINT YOUR WINDOWS!!!! Including an eye-brow tint across the
> windshield. It will be worth it.
>
> And now, for your edification and entertainment, rules for living in
> Houston, from http://braden.weblogs.com/humor/houston:
>

> 1. You must learn to pronounce the city name. It is "U-stun." To
> pronounce it as "Hugh-stun," only labels you as a foreigner or a new
> comer [which is about the same thing to a native].

Illinoi.

> 2. Forget all traffic rules that you learned elsewhere. Houston has
> its own version of traffic laws: Hold on and pray! And don't let the
> newscasts mislead you-there is no such thing as a dangerous, high-speed
> chase in Houston! We all drive like that. You have to in order to stay
> out of "their" way.

AH! You can get to high speeds! Already better than chicago.

> 3. All directions begin with, "Go down to Loop 610," which, by the
> way, has no beginning and no end.

"so get on 90-94"

> 4. The morning rush hour is from 6:00 to 10:00 A.M. The evening rush
> hour is from 3:00 to 7:00 P.M. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday
> morning.

We don't have rush hours. We have 'open the internal lanes so traffic
can actually move' hours.

> 5. If you actually stop at a yellow traffic light, you will be
> rear-ended, cussed out and/or possibly shot. When yours is the first car
> at a traffic light when it turns green, do not proceed until you count
> to five -- this will help you avoid getting hit by all those who are
> running the cross-traffic's red light.

Pray that the cars in front of you have cleared the intersection by the
time the light turns green again.

> 6. Kuykendahl Road can be pronounced only by a native. Don't even go
> there.
>
> 7. Construction on I-10, I-45, US 59 and Loop 610 is a way of life
> and a permanent form of entertainment. I've lived here since 1959 and
> I-45 has been under construction ever since that time.

Heh. Heh. Heh. We have construction and winter.

> US 59 is Southwest Freeway; I-10 West is Katy Freeway). That is so
> newcomers won't be able to determine where the wrecks and the slick,
> rainy roads are, even after they hear the traffic and weather reports.

Kennedy, Edens, etc.

> 9. All unexplained sights and smells are accounted for by the phrase,
> "Oh, we must be in Pasadena!"

Oh, we must be in.. Chicago

> 10. If someone has their turn signal on, the car probably has a
> factory defect. It could also mean that a service attendant was
> inspecting the car an hour ago.

In chicago we use turn signals to hypnotically calm the drivers behind
us.

> 11. All old ladies with blue hair driving pink Cadillacs have total
> right-of-way!

Alright, the pink is new.

> 12. The minimum acceptable speed on Loop 610 is 85. Anything less is
> considered downright sissy. Beltway 8 has no limits; it's where the
> professionals come to practice for NASCAR.

85! You can't get up to 50 on the chicago highways.

> 13. The wrought iron on the windows of homes in East Houston is not
> ornamental.

Rogers park.

> 14. Never stare at the driver of the car with the bumper sticker that
> says, "Keep honking, I'm reloading." In fact, don't honk or stare at
> anyone.

Alright, probably got Chicago there.

> 15. If you are in the left lane and going only 70 in a 55 mph zone,
> those people are not waving when they go by.
>
> 16. Redheads with cell phones have no turn signals or speedometers in
> their cars.
>
> 17. If it's 100 degrees, Thanksgiving must be next week

And this is why I will cry.

> -----------------
>
> merwench

Volcano

May 20, 2004, 12:51:49 PM5/20/04
In article <1ge1pct.sp2447zizve6N%merw...@earthlink.net>,
merw...@earthlink.net says...

> 12. The minimum acceptable speed on Loop 610 is 85. Anything less is
> considered downright sissy. Beltway 8 has no limits; it's where the
> professionals come to practice for NASCAR.

Also, when approaching a toll plaza on Beltway 8, don't believe the
signs advising you to slow down. That is your cue to speed up.

Volcano

May 20, 2004, 12:57:51 PM5/20/04
In article <slrncapf40....@news.ks.uiuc.edu>,
sfog...@students.uiuc.edu says...

> AH! You can get to high speeds! Already better than chicago.

Except during rush hour. Going northbound on I-45 through a
construction zone at 6pm on Friday, you might average 1 mph. If you're
lucky. If you are more than one car length from the car in front of
you, expect the car behind you to cut through the traffic cones and
drive through the construction area in order to occupy that space.

Shalon Wood

May 20, 2004, 7:12:25 PM5/20/04
"Seth J. Fogarty" <sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> writes:

> On Thu, 20 May 2004 02:05:36 GMT, merwench wrote:
>> 12. The minimum acceptable speed on Loop 610 is 85. Anything less is
>> considered downright sissy. Beltway 8 has no limits; it's where the
>> professionals come to practice for NASCAR.
>
> 85! You can't get up to 50 on the chicago highways.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the traffic in Houston is any
lighter, or the cars any further apart. Never before in my life have I
had cars less than 3" from my bumper at 75mph.

Shalon Wood

--
Check out Strange Love -- an ezine of science fiction, fantasy, and
paranormal erotica. Only $2 for more than 20,000 words of fiction!

http://strangelove.pele.cx

Judi

May 20, 2004, 10:18:05 PM5/20/04
On Thu, 20 May 2004 23:12:25 GMT, Shalon Wood <ds...@pele.cx> wrote:

>> 85! You can't get up to 50 on the chicago highways.
>
>Don't make the mistake of thinking that the traffic in Houston is any
>lighter, or the cars any further apart. Never before in my life have I
>had cars less than 3" from my bumper at 75mph.

Makes ya feel alive, doesn't it? *g*

Lord Richard

May 20, 2004, 11:01:13 PM5/20/04
merwench wrote:

> 6. Kuykendahl Road can be pronounced only by a native. Don't even go
> there.

Which I live just a few blocks off of, so as a relative newcomer (2
year) it can be fun. Oh, and then there's the mispronunciations of
Humble and San Jacinto by the locals. :-{)

--

Lord Richard
Virgins ravished. Spinsters satisfied.
Love slaves trained. Orgies organized.

Why do you have to "put your two cents in"...but it's only a
"penny for your thoughts"? Where's that extra penny going to?

Lord Richard

May 20, 2004, 11:06:12 PM5/20/04
Shalon Wood wrote:

> "Seth J. Fogarty" <sfog...@students.uiuc.edu> writes:
>
>>On Thu, 20 May 2004 02:05:36 GMT, merwench wrote:
>>
>>> 12. The minimum acceptable speed on Loop 610 is 85. Anything less is
>>> considered downright sissy. Beltway 8 has no limits; it's where the
>>> professionals come to practice for NASCAR.
>>
>>85! You can't get up to 50 on the chicago highways.
>
> Don't make the mistake of thinking that the traffic in Houston is any
> lighter, or the cars any further apart. Never before in my life have I
> had cars less than 3" from my bumper at 75mph.

What surprised me when I moved here from SoCal was that my insurance
rates went *up*! I thought SoCal drivers had the highest rates in the
country.

--

Lord Richard
Virgins ravished. Spinsters satisfied.
Love slaves trained. Orgies organized.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace
alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it
with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." -
H. L. Mencken