Walesboink II

Jo Walton

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
It was so much fun, why don't we do it again next year?

Cross the wide Atlantic to sleep on the floor in distant exotic Wales,
full of strange exotic things like sheep, roundabouts, Turkish Delight,
castles, standing stones, beaches with shells, bookshops, and cars that
drive on the wrong side of the road. Be interrogated by Sasha!

This is an early announcement because people need to plan to travel
this far.

OK, I finally have Sasha's school schedule, and next year's May holiday
is Friday 29th-Monday 4th June. So anyone who wants to come and boink
that week is very welcome - come for the weekend of the 30th May and
stay for as long as you like the following week. If there are lots and
lots of people (more than this time) I'll look into renting a house by
the beach for overflow space.

Airfares this year were around the $500 level. Nearest airport is
Cardiff, with buses or trains to Swansea, or it's fairly easy to fly
to London and get a train here.

Everyone who wanted to come last time and couldn't, everyone who
came last time, everyone generally, email me if you're interested.

--
Jo - - I kissed a kif at Kefk - - J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Robert Blackshaw

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
Jo Walton wrote:

> It was so much fun, why don't we do it again next year?
>
> Cross the wide Atlantic to sleep on the floor in distant exotic Wales,
> full of strange exotic things like sheep, roundabouts, Turkish Delight,
> castles, standing stones, beaches with shells, bookshops, and cars that
> drive on the wrong side of the road. Be interrogated by Sasha!

Thanks, but I'm busy trying to hang onto this place in a market
that sort of discriminates on age.

How is Sasha's arm coming along? Or did I miss a post?

Bob

--
"Since when was genius found respectable?"
E. B. Browning

Janet Kegg

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98

[I just discovered my ISP has "unmoderated" ssm again -- if you've seeing
this post for the second time it means your service provider is making the
same mistake.]

In article <906822...@bluejo.demon.co.uk> Jo Walton wrote:

>It was so much fun, why don't we do it again next year?
>
>Cross the wide Atlantic to sleep on the floor in distant exotic Wales,
>full of strange exotic things like sheep, roundabouts, Turkish Delight,
>castles, standing stones, beaches with shells, bookshops, and cars that
>drive on the wrong side of the road. Be interrogated by Sasha!
>

>This is an early announcement because people need to plan to travel
>this far.

And let's not slight the scones...my mouth's watering just thinking about
them...with that lovely thick cream.

The *greenness* of the countryside. The hedgerows.

But hey, what the heck is Turkish Delight?

-- Janet

David V. Vrooman

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
On 26 Sep 1998, Janet Kegg wrote:
<and when those feet,
in ancient times....>

> But hey, what the heck is Turkish Delight?
>
> -- Janet

Silly girl. Its what the Witch bribed Edmund with. _Everybody_ knows
_that_.
Betcha Narnia knew the answer......

=========David V. Vrooman============The Newly Blue Steps=================
There are eight million quotes on the 'net. This is one of them:
"The underbelly of porn and dementia still lurks at the Net's fringes,
flagging down the mainstream media's attention like a $20 date on 10th
Avenue." -Angela Gunn, Internet Computing, Aug, 1998.

Jo Walton

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
In article <360D52...@erols.com>
blac...@erols.com "Robert Blackshaw" writes:

> Thanks, but I'm busy trying to hang onto this place in a market
> that sort of discriminates on age.

You don't notice me crossing the Atlantic for boinks either.

> How is Sasha's arm coming along? Or did I miss a post?

It's mending pretty well, only another week before the plaster comes
off. The big huge plaster-cast plaster came off a fortnight ago (he
said "I'd forgotten my arm was so little!" when he saw it coming
out of the cast) and since then he's had a much lighter blue fibre-
glass one, and a better sling. The x-rays look good now, and we're
looking forward to them taking the plaster off - the day after his
birthday.

Jo Walton

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
In article <360d9110...@news.newsguy.com> j...@his.com "Janet Kegg" writes:

> But hey, what the heck is Turkish Delight?

It's a gelatinous confection, very sweet, that I've had to explain on
usenet a few times because, as David mentions, it's what the witch
gave Edmund in :The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe: and it doesn't
seem to have made it to NorAm.

Robert Blackshaw

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
Jo Walton wrote:

> In article <360d9110...@news.newsguy.com> j...@his.com "Janet Kegg" writes:
>
> > But hey, what the heck is Turkish Delight?
>
> It's a gelatinous confection, very sweet, that I've had to explain on
> usenet a few times because, as David mentions, it's what the witch
> gave Edmund in :The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe: and it doesn't
> seem to have made it to NorAm.

Maybe not the US, but it was available in Canada when I was
a youth. Since I find it overly sweet I have not sought it
out of late, so it may well be available here, I'm just not
looking.

Kris Hasson

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
On 27 Sep 1998 04:18:47 -0400, J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton)
wrote:

>In article <360d9110...@news.newsguy.com> j...@his.com "Janet Kegg" writes:
>
>> But hey, what the heck is Turkish Delight?
>
>It's a gelatinous confection, very sweet, that I've had to explain on
>usenet a few times because, as David mentions, it's what the witch
>gave Edmund in :The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe: and it doesn't
>seem to have made it to NorAm.

I think I've seen it compared to Aplets and Cotlets...rather like
squares of very thick, fruited gelatine then rolled in powdered sugar.
Usually has nuts in this version. I adore Aplets and Cotlets (and the
other varieties of same, especially the pineapple/macadamia nut one).

But, they're not chocolate.

Kris (after all, nothing *is* except chocolate)
--
has...@teleport.com "It never ceases to amaze me how much pleasure
people will turn their back on just to avoid a little pain."

das

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
In article <360E22...@erols.com>,
Robert Blackshaw <blac...@erols.com> wrote:
[Turkish Delight]

>Maybe not the US, but it was available in Canada when I was
>a youth. Since I find it overly sweet I have not sought it
>out of late, so it may well be available here, I'm just not
>looking.

You can buy it here in Seattle (at a Turkish store, natch).
--
Debbie the Gruesome d...@halcyon.com
"I'm not crazy, I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years."

jasmine

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
Janet Kegg wrote:

> >Cross the wide Atlantic to sleep on the floor in distant exotic Wales,
> >full of strange exotic things like sheep, roundabouts, Turkish Delight,
> >castles, standing stones, beaches with shells, bookshops, and cars that
> >drive on the wrong side of the road. Be interrogated by Sasha!

> And let's not slight the scones...my mouth's watering just thinking about

> them...with that lovely thick cream.
>
> The *greenness* of the countryside. The hedgerows.

And the hills and Singleton park...did we mention the sheep??

jasmine

Shirley Hicks

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
Jo Walton wrote:
> In article <360d9110...@news.newsguy.com> j...@his.com "Janet Kegg" writes:

> > But hey, what the heck is Turkish Delight?

> It's a gelatinous confection, very sweet, that I've had to explain on
> usenet a few times because, as David mentions, it's what the witch
> gave Edmund in :The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe: and it doesn't
> seem to have made it to NorAm.

Oh it has, at popular tourist destinatins such as Banff, Niagara Falls,
and Ottawa -- any place were great hordes of people inclined to spend
money on tacky stuff show up. It's carried in select candy shops
(AKA sweet shops)

I've tried it (inspired, actually, by Edmund in "The Lion, The Witch
and the Wardrobe") and wasn't all that impressed. It has a one-note
sweetness about it with no other hints of flavour or savour. No salt,
no bitter, just pure sugary asinine sweetness. The batch I tried
was very pale pink too.

Shirley

P.S. I won't be coming next year Jo -- with regrets. The "abode"
thing and all that....

--
"Pushing pixels since 1991"

Lauren Holmes

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
On 26 Sep 1998 21:27:58 -0400, j...@his.com (Janet Kegg) wrote:

>But hey, what the heck is Turkish Delight?

It's very, very weird, that's what it is. I kind of like it once I'm
prepared for the flowery taste. Anyone know what the spice is?

--Lauren

Jo Walton

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
In article <36133523...@news.earthlink.net>
lho...@earthlink.net "Lauren Holmes" writes:

I think it's just rosewater, but I don't know. They make Turkish
Delight ice cream which tastes just like it, so it must be something.

songbird

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
In article <361293D9...@cnsvax.albany.edu>,

Lorre <ls...@cnsvax.albany.edu> wrote:
> Jo Walton wrote:
> > In article <360d9110...@news.newsguy.com> j...@his.com "Janet Kegg"
writes:
> > > But hey, what the heck is Turkish Delight?
> > It's a gelatinous confection, very sweet, that I've had to explain on
> > usenet a few times because, as David mentions, it's what the witch
> > gave Edmund in :The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe: and it doesn't
> > seem to have made it to NorAm.
>
> It must have come to "Smallbany" with the Italians - I always see it
> at our Italian delicatessens.

itailyums and our fud.

> Lorre

songbird *chirp*

Angela C. Lukach

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
Shirley Hicks (for.ar...@sympatico.ca) writes:

> Jo Walton wrote:
>> j...@his.com "Janet Kegg" writes:
>
>> > But hey, what the heck is Turkish Delight?
>
>> It's a gelatinous confection, very sweet [snip] it doesn't

>> seem to have made it to NorAm.
>
> Oh it has, at popular tourist destinatins such as Banff, Niagara Falls,
> and Ottawa -- any place were great hordes of people inclined to spend
> money on tacky stuff show up. It's carried in select candy shops
> (AKA sweet shops)

there's a "Turkish Delight" chocolate bar that's been available at
every corner store in every town i've lived in. it's the sweet
jelly enrobed in chocolate [just for you, kris].

angie
--
Breed of the Month - Mewati!
Visit the Cow Palace - http://thetoybox.org/~angela/

Kris Hasson

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
On 2 Oct 1998 13:14:39 -0400, ag...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Angela C.
Lukach) wrote:

>there's a "Turkish Delight" chocolate bar that's been available at
>every corner store in every town i've lived in. it's the sweet
>jelly enrobed in chocolate [just for you, kris].

Woohoo! Somebody's thinking of me! I wonder if anyone here has it;
I'll have to go looking. Thanks!

Kris
--
has...@teleport.com
"She's snippy." -- An anonymous opinion of me. Oh, the embarrassment.

Kris Hasson

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
On 26 Sep 1998 11:11:48 -0400, J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton)
wrote:

>Airfares this year were around the $500 level.

I wish. Cheapest airfare I can find from here is $1100. Of course,
it is quite a bit further from here than from the East Coast, even
considering most flights go the polar route.

Kris (boinks are mostly so East-Coast-centric!)

Janet Kegg

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
In article <361d808c...@news.teleport.com>, has...@teleport.com says...

>On 26 Sep 1998 11:11:48 -0400, J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton)
>wrote:
>
>>Airfares this year were around the $500 level.
>
>I wish. Cheapest airfare I can find from here is $1100. Of course,
>it is quite a bit further from here than from the East Coast, even
>considering most flights go the polar route.

Don't let your hopes be dashed. Look again (check newspaper ads) after
the first of the year and in early spring when the ticket resellers start
advertising special deals, maybe something will turn up.

>Kris (boinks are mostly so East-Coast-centric!)

Yeah, EC-centric 'R Us.

-- Janet

Charlotte L. Blackmer

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98

Kris Hasson <has...@teleport.com> wrote:
>On 26 Sep 1998 11:11:48 -0400, J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton)
>wrote:
>
>>Airfares this year were around the $500 level.
>
>I wish. Cheapest airfare I can find from here is $1100.

If I got anything under $800 from SFO, I'd be pleasantly surprised. Could
probably get cheaper from LAX, but then I'd have to *go* to LAX. Eeegh.
I still remember the sprint with carryon from DaBoink.

>Of course,
>it is quite a bit further from here than from the East Coast, even
>considering most flights go the polar route.
>

>Kris (boinks are mostly so East-Coast-centric!)

Yuppers. Us poor left coasters get double-scheduled on and everything...

OTOH, you can get from PDX to OAK for something like $120 for VDC&C and
meet a bunch of "east coast" (note quotes) folks, who for this event, seem
to have discovered that there IS air service west of Denver.

(Coulda knocked me over with a feather. Hasn't happened since I been
boinkin'.)

>has...@teleport.com
>"She's snippy." -- An anonymous opinion of me. Oh, the embarrassment.

*snicker* Was that from That Other Newsgroup? You go, girl.

C"Fiskars at the ready"LB
Charlotte L. Blackmer http://www.rahul.net/clb
Berkeley Farm and Pleasure Palace (under construction)
Junk (esp. commercial) email review rates: $250 US ea

James Nicoll

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
In article <6vk58e$3ke$1...@samba.rahul.net>,

Charlotte L. Blackmer <c...@rahul.net> wrote:
>In article <361d808c...@news.teleport.com>,
>Kris Hasson <has...@teleport.com> wrote:
>>
>>Kris (boinks are mostly so East-Coast-centric!)
>
>Yuppers. Us poor left coasters get double-scheduled on and everything...
>
>OTOH, you can get from PDX to OAK for something like $120 for VDC&C and
>meet a bunch of "east coast" (note quotes) folks, who for this event, seem
>to have discovered that there IS air service west of Denver.
>
>(Coulda knocked me over with a feather. Hasn't happened since I been
>boinkin'.)

Aren't there west coast boinks? There are west coast snigglers
and northern California (including the Neutral Zone around the bay) is
a nice place to visit.

James Nicoll

--
"[...] it's been about 12 years now that I've been singing this dumb song. You
know, it's amazing that somebody could get away with singing a song this dumb

Kris Hasson

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
On 9 Oct 1998 07:01:08 -0400, jam...@ece.uwaterloo.ca (James Nicoll)
wrote:

>In article <6vk58e$3ke$1...@samba.rahul.net>,
>Charlotte L. Blackmer <c...@rahul.net> wrote:
>>In article <361d808c...@news.teleport.com>,
>>Kris Hasson <has...@teleport.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Kris (boinks are mostly so East-Coast-centric!)
>>
>>Yuppers. Us poor left coasters get double-scheduled on and everything...
>>
>>OTOH, you can get from PDX to OAK for something like $120 for VDC&C and
>>meet a bunch of "east coast" (note quotes) folks, who for this event, seem
>>to have discovered that there IS air service west of Denver.
>>
>>(Coulda knocked me over with a feather. Hasn't happened since I been
>>boinkin'.)
>
> Aren't there west coast boinks? There are west coast snigglers
>and northern California (including the Neutral Zone around the bay) is
>a nice place to visit.

Well, no. There haven't been *any* west coast boinks.

Kris (the next PortlandBoink will be #3) (and California *isn't* the
whole west coast)

Kris Hasson

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
On 9 Oct 1998 01:01:14 -0400, "Charlotte L. Blackmer" <c...@rahul.net>
wrote:

>In article <361d808c...@news.teleport.com>,
>Kris Hasson <has...@teleport.com> wrote:

>>On 26 Sep 1998 11:11:48 -0400, J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Airfares this year were around the $500 level.
>>
>>I wish. Cheapest airfare I can find from here is $1100.
>
>If I got anything under $800 from SFO, I'd be pleasantly surprised. Could
>probably get cheaper from LAX, but then I'd have to *go* to LAX. Eeegh.
>I still remember the sprint with carryon from DaBoink.

Yesterday an attorney in the office where I work said I could get
considerably cheaper fare...if I drive to Vancouver. Hello, that's a
6 hour drive! Plus whatever the flight is! But I'm going to check it
out anyway, maybe next week.

>OTOH, you can get from PDX to OAK for something like $120 for VDC&C and
>meet a bunch of "east coast" (note quotes) folks, who for this event, seem
>to have discovered that there IS air service west of Denver.

Yeah! Dawnetta and I have been talking about driving (together). One
way or another I think I'll be there.

>>has...@teleport.com
>>"She's snippy." -- An anonymous opinion of me. Oh, the embarrassment.
>

>*snicker* Was that from That Other Newsgroup? You go, girl.

Well, actually it was apparently from somebody here. Fortunately my
dearest Dawn defended me....on the other hand, some people *do*
consider snippy a feature!

Kris (honor your inner bitch, says I)

das

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
In article <36201282....@news.teleport.com>,

Kris Hasson <has...@teleport.com> wrote:
>Well, no. There haven't been *any* west coast boinks.
>
>Kris (the next PortlandBoink will be #3) (and California *isn't* the
>whole west coast)

Kris, I don't understand your reasoning. PortlandBoink was certainly
west coast, as are all the California boinks. There has never been a
boink designated as "East Coast Boink", just boinks that people have
put on in various parts of the east, exactly as there are boinks held
by various people in different parts of the west. Please clarify . . .

Eugenia

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
"Charlotte L. Blackmer" <c...@rahul.net> wrote:
>In article <361d808c...@news.teleport.com>,

[...]

>Yuppers. Us poor left coasters get double-scheduled on and everything...

No kidding. Everybody seems to want those 3 day weekends.

>OTOH, you can get from PDX to OAK for something like $120 for VDC&C and
>meet a bunch of "east coast" (note quotes) folks, who for this event, seem
>to have discovered that there IS air service west of Denver.

Which, unfortunately, is the same weekend as CostumeCon to be held
in Philadelphia. Another group seriously into fabric and chocolate.

Robert Blackshaw

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
Kris Hasson wrote:

<snip>

> "She's snippy." -- An anonymous opinion of me. Oh, the embarrassment.

Well look at it thisaway, not everyone in the world can
rcognize quality when they see it.

Charlotte L. Blackmer

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
In article <90793081...@watserv4.uwaterloo.ca>,

James Nicoll <jam...@ece.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>In article <6vk58e$3ke$1...@samba.rahul.net>,
>Charlotte L. Blackmer <c...@rahul.net> wrote:

>>OTOH, you can get from PDX to OAK for something like $120 for VDC&C and
>>meet a bunch of "east coast" (note quotes) folks, who for this event, seem
>>to have discovered that there IS air service west of Denver.
>>

>>(Coulda knocked me over with a feather. Hasn't happened since I been
>>boinkin'.)
>
> Aren't there west coast boinks?

Since I have been in this group (and its predecessor), there are three I
think that would count as full scale boinks:

The Boink with No Name (LA, Prez Weekend 1996)
Portland I (Portland, end of Feb 1998)
Portland II (End of July 1998)

With the exception of a peripatic (sp) Ozzie at P2, these have been
all-Westerner events. 'dreas and Holly do deserve special Road Warrior
credits for their trip to P1, but though their trip was long and eventful,
they both live in the West too.

An east coast event was announced for the same weekend as P2. So much for
crosscountry travel, eh? None of the murkans at that one lived east of
*Portland* (okay, maybe one did, depends on if Medford is east, but it
wouldn't be by much).

>There are west coast snigglers

NO! I never would have known!

>and northern California (including the Neutral Zone around the bay) is
>a nice place to visit.

NO! Really! I never would have known that, either!

(Do you know where I live, James?)

So's Portland and Seattle and even (though it pains my nortena soul to
admit this) LA, especially when Holly is tour guide.

Folks have flown out for their own vacation, or conferences (San Francisco
- conventioner's fave), or business and there has been much miniboink
madness. But this particular boink is the first Western one I've known of
that's excited any specific interest from numerous non-western
snigglers.

Not a criticism, just an observation. But it might help to understand
what is behind what Kris (who has graciously organized TWO boinks) and I
are saying.

CLB

Kris Hasson

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
On 9 Oct 1998 11:16:34 -0400, d...@halcyon.com (das) wrote:

>In article <36201282....@news.teleport.com>,
>Kris Hasson <has...@teleport.com> wrote:
>>Well, no. There haven't been *any* west coast boinks.
>>
>>Kris (the next PortlandBoink will be #3) (and California *isn't* the
>>whole west coast)
>
>Kris, I don't understand your reasoning. PortlandBoink was certainly
>west coast, as are all the California boinks. There has never been a
>boink designated as "East Coast Boink", just boinks that people have
>put on in various parts of the east, exactly as there are boinks held
>by various people in different parts of the west. Please clarify . . .

Sure. It was sarcasm. I know, I know, I left the HTML tags off....

wrote:

> Aren't there west coast boinks? There are west coast snigglers

>and northern California (including the Neutral Zone around the bay) is
>a nice place to visit.

Obviously he has missed every boink announcement and report and
ensuing discussion in the group from those of us out here. (Wow, that
sounds like I expect to be the center of his universe, and that's not
so.) Dawn and I hosted two PortlandBoinks in the last 9 months, and
IIRC Charlotte's had at least one boink since I've been hanging out
here. Maybe James just wasn't reading the newsgroup in February and
March, or in July and August? Or maybe he just skipped those threads?
There are lots of possible explanations.

Kris (see ya soon at Orycon, Debbie!)
--
has...@teleport.com

Kris Hasson

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
On 9 Oct 1998 20:55:32 -0400, "Charlotte L. Blackmer" <c...@rahul.net>
wrote:

>In article <90793081...@watserv4.uwaterloo.ca>,

>James Nicoll <jam...@ece.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Aren't there west coast boinks?
>

>Since I have been in this group (and its predecessor), there are three I
>think that would count as full scale boinks:
>
>The Boink with No Name (LA, Prez Weekend 1996)
>Portland I (Portland, end of Feb 1998)
>Portland II (End of July 1998)

Ooops, my bad. I thought there was a full Boink at your place
sometime last year.

>With the exception of a peripatic (sp) Ozzie at P2, these have been
>all-Westerner events. 'dreas and Holly do deserve special Road Warrior
>credits for their trip to P1, but though their trip was long and eventful,
>they both live in the West too.

I think Cinderella and Tim and A.J. deserve Road Warrior credits,
too...after all, they were the inspiration for P2.

>But this particular boink is the first Western one I've known of
>that's excited any specific interest from numerous non-western
>snigglers.
>
>Not a criticism, just an observation. But it might help to understand
>what is behind what Kris (who has graciously organized TWO boinks) and I
>are saying.

Hey, I know it's a long ways out here...why do you think I haven't
gone to any Boinks east of here? I can't afford the airfare.

Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria are within easy driving distance. San
Francisco, it's a little more time (10 hours driving, I think).
Anything else means flying, and I am a mostly-broke single mother.
It's not that I don't want to, but spending that much money on
something *just for me* is hard when my kids need shoes and school
supplies and daycare. I imagine the same is true for lots of
snigglers, that's why they don't come out here.

Kris (or it could be that they all hate me) (waaaaah!)

Kris Hasson

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
On 9 Oct 1998 18:52:45 -0400, Robert Blackshaw <blac...@erols.com>
wrote:

>Kris Hasson wrote:
>>
><snip>

>> "She's snippy." -- An anonymous opinion of me. Oh, the embarrassment.
>

>Well look at it thisaway, not everyone in the world can
>rcognize quality when they see it.

Oh, I think zie recognizes quality. It's just bad quality in zir
opinion, as opposed to good quality.

Kris

das

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98
In article <3621bbd1....@news.teleport.com>,

Kris Hasson <has...@teleport.com> wrote:
>On 9 Oct 1998 11:16:34 -0400, d...@halcyon.com (das) wrote:
>>Kris, I don't understand your reasoning. PortlandBoink was certainly
>>west coast, as are all the California boinks. There has never been a
>>boink designated as "East Coast Boink", just boinks that people have
>>put on in various parts of the east, exactly as there are boinks held
>>by various people in different parts of the west. Please clarify . . .
>
>Sure. It was sarcasm. I know, I know, I left the HTML tags off....

And obviously, I didn't read the postings leading up to yours . . .

[snip]

>Kris (see ya soon at Orycon, Debbie!)

Can't wait! Looking forward to lots of partying, plus then
I get to come back and spend Monday through Wednesday at
the ACM Conference on Computer Supported Collaberative Work.
(My employer is a heavy sponsor, and it's being organized by those
same Research & Technology Computer Science and Liguistics PhDs that I
expressed trepidation about a couple of months ago but seem to be
getting along with just fine. Nevertheless, I feel like wearing a
name-tag that says "B.A. in Anthropology: Please speak slowly" ).

Andreas Tovornik

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98
"Charlotte L. Blackmer" (c...@rahul.net) writes:
> In article <90793081...@watserv4.uwaterloo.ca>,
> James Nicoll <jam...@ece.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>>In article <6vk58e$3ke$1...@samba.rahul.net>,

>>Charlotte L. Blackmer <c...@rahul.net> wrote:
>
>>>OTOH, you can get from PDX to OAK for something like $120 for VDC&C and
>>>meet a bunch of "east coast" (note quotes) folks, who for this event, seem
>>>to have discovered that there IS air service west of Denver.
>>>
>>>(Coulda knocked me over with a feather. Hasn't happened since I been
>>>boinkin'.)
>>
>> Aren't there west coast boinks?
>
> Since I have been in this group (and its predecessor), there are three I
> think that would count as full scale boinks:
>
> The Boink with No Name (LA, Prez Weekend 1996)
> Portland I (Portland, end of Feb 1998)
> Portland II (End of July 1998)

You guys went and sneaked that last one by me when I was at the wrong
end of the continent. I regret missing it even though I was having a
great time anyway...

> With the exception of a peripatic (sp) Ozzie at P2, these have been
> all-Westerner events. 'dreas and Holly do deserve special Road Warrior
> credits for their trip to P1, but though their trip was long and eventful,
> they both live in the West too.

Don't ozzies count as honorary Westerners especially if they arrive
from the West of us? What's the convention on this?.

>>There are west coast snigglers
>

> NO! I never would have known!

They don't count. They're all on the mainland...

>>and northern California (including the Neutral Zone around the bay) is
>>a nice place to visit.
>

> NO! Really! I never would have known that, either!

I guess I'll have to add it to my list of places to visit! ;-]

> So's Portland and Seattle and even (though it pains my nortena soul to
> admit this) LA, especially when Holly is tour guide.

I have to ditto that, especially for restaurant stops...

> Folks have flown out for their own vacation, or conferences (San Francisco
> - conventioner's fave), or business and there has been much miniboink

> madness. But this particular boink is the first Western one I've known of

> that's excited any specific interest from numerous non-western
> snigglers.

It appears to be the one to look forward to...

--
'dreas...tbtw#5 If you want something bad enough, you will get it.
VictoriaTaxi#15 When you get it, you may wonder why you wanted it.

Andreas Tovornik

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98
Kris Hasson (has...@teleport.com) writes:
> On 9 Oct 1998 20:55:32 -0400, "Charlotte L. Blackmer" <c...@rahul.net>

> wrote:
>
>>In article <90793081...@watserv4.uwaterloo.ca>,
>>James Nicoll <jam...@ece.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> Aren't there west coast boinks?
>>
>>Since I have been in this group (and its predecessor), there are three I
>>think that would count as full scale boinks:
>>
>>The Boink with No Name (LA, Prez Weekend 1996)
>>Portland I (Portland, end of Feb 1998)
>>Portland II (End of July 1998)
>
> Ooops, my bad. I thought there was a full Boink at your place
> sometime last year.

If you add up all the miniboinks that happened at the BF&PP over
the last couple of years, it would probably add up to more than
Denver[1], but that's just based on what I've read...

>>With the exception of a peripatic (sp) Ozzie at P2, these have been
>>all-Westerner events. 'dreas and Holly do deserve special Road Warrior
>>credits for their trip to P1, but though their trip was long and eventful,
>>they both live in the West too.
>

> I think Cinderella and Tim and A.J. deserve Road Warrior credits,
> too...after all, they were the inspiration for P2.
>

>>But this particular boink is the first Western one I've known of
>>that's excited any specific interest from numerous non-western
>>snigglers.
>>

>>Not a criticism, just an observation. But it might help to understand
>>what is behind what Kris (who has graciously organized TWO boinks) and I
>>are saying.
>
> Hey, I know it's a long ways out here...why do you think I haven't
> gone to any Boinks east of here? I can't afford the airfare.

I kinda combine my trips so that Eastern boinks and family visits
are done at the same time on an average of once every two years.
If you think airfare's bad, so's gas money. I can manage a boink
or two a year, but it often takes a few months to pay for attending...

> Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria are within easy driving distance. San
> Francisco, it's a little more time (10 hours driving, I think).

Based on the couple of times I've done the drive, Portland is just
a little under half way from Victoria to San Francisco. It takes a
good 20 hours of travel time not counting the ferry trip...

Janet Kegg

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98
In article <3622bed8....@news.teleport.com> Kris Hasson wrote:

>On 9 Oct 1998 20:55:32 -0400, "Charlotte L. Blackmer" <c...@rahul.net>
>wrote:
>
>>In article <90793081...@watserv4.uwaterloo.ca>,
>>James Nicoll <jam...@ece.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> Aren't there west coast boinks?
>>
>>Since I have been in this group (and its predecessor), there are three I
>>think that would count as full scale boinks:
>>
>>The Boink with No Name (LA, Prez Weekend 1996)
>>Portland I (Portland, end of Feb 1998)
>>Portland II (End of July 1998)

>Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria are within easy driving distance. San

>Francisco, it's a little more time (10 hours driving, I think).

>Anything else means flying, and I am a mostly-broke single mother.
>It's not that I don't want to, but spending that much money on
>something *just for me* is hard when my kids need shoes and school
>supplies and daycare. I imagine the same is true for lots of
>snigglers, that's why they don't come out here.

Flying across the country to spend the weekend doesn't come naturally to me
(not the jetsetter type I guess) but I'm gonna work at overcoming that
oldfashioned attitude. I really want to get to Portland especially. I hope
there's a PortlandBoinkIII. Any visit I make to Portland will also be a
chance to visit my nephew T and his family there, something I'm very eager
to do. Alas Portlandboink II came at a time that was not good to visit
them -- their daughter Madeline was born on July 22nd and K's parental
units were on hand.

>Kris (or it could be that they all hate me) (waaaaah!)

Nah, that couldn't be why.

-- Janet

gw...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98

has...@teleport.com wrote:

> Sure. It was sarcasm. I know, I know, I left the HTML tags off....

But, but .... this is Usenet, the land where "irony"
is just a less pretentious word for "ferrous".

gwyddwr

(and "hyperbole" is a four-dimensional tree-trunk)

Ocean Gypsy

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98
In article <6vk58e$3ke$1...@samba.rahul.net>,

"Charlotte L. Blackmer" <c...@rahul.net> wrote:
>In article <361d808c...@news.teleport.com>,

>Kris Hasson <has...@teleport.com> wrote:
>>On 26 Sep 1998 11:11:48 -0400, J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk (Jo Walton)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Airfares this year were around the $500 level.
>>
>>I wish. Cheapest airfare I can find from here is $1100.
>
>If I got anything under $800 from SFO, I'd be pleasantly surprised.
>Could probably get cheaper from LAX, but then I'd have to *go* to LAX.
>Eeegh. I still remember the sprint with carryon from DaBoink.

>>Of course,
>>it is quite a bit further from here than from the East Coast, even
>>considering most flights go the polar route.
>>

>>Kris (boinks are mostly so East-Coast-centric!)
>

>Yuppers. Us poor left coasters get double-scheduled on and
>everything...

Yowsa...yer both making me feel so quilty! :-)

I have to admit that I'm glad that I geographically lucked out here.
There's not a lot of places that one can't get to relatively easily from
good ole Joisey.

>OTOH, you can get from PDX to OAK for something like $120 for VDC&C and
>meet a bunch of "east coast" (note quotes) folks, who for this event,
>seem to have discovered that there IS air service west of Denver.

Heh. Noted the quotes but there are some of us true east coasters that
do make the effort. I wanna make it to Portland though sometime....

>>has...@teleport.com

>>"She's snippy." -- An anonymous opinion of me. Oh, the
>>embarrassment.
>

>*snicker* Was that from That Other Newsgroup? You go, girl.

Yeehaw and ride 'em cowgirl.

Crys, who admires spirit in wimmin

-
Political correctness assumes we're morons who, if allowed to do
anything naughty, will immediately turn into unmanageable terrors.
-Bill Maher

James Nicoll

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98
In article <3621bbd1....@news.teleport.com>,

Kris Hasson <has...@teleport.com> wrote:

>On 9 Oct 1998 07:01:08 -0400, jam...@ece.uwaterloo.ca (James Nicoll)
>wrote:
>> Aren't there west coast boinks? There are west coast snigglers

>>and northern California (including the Neutral Zone around the bay) is
>>a nice place to visit.
>
>Obviously he has missed every boink announcement and report and
>ensuing discussion in the group from those of us out here.

Or he doesn't pay much attention to party chat for a party
he wasn't at and took the complaint at face value.

Kris Hasson

Oct 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/13/98
On 12 Oct 1998 23:16:22 -0400, jam...@ece.uwaterloo.ca (James Nicoll)
wrote:

[James didn't know about previous West Coast boinks]

> Or he doesn't pay much attention to party chat for a party
>he wasn't at and took the complaint at face value.

True, and that was an option I left open in my post when I said maybe
you just didn't read those threads. I don't read every single post
here, either. But it does seem a bit much to me that you weren't sure
whether there had been boinks. On the gripping hand, I'm not in
charge of setting standards for how you read the group.

Kris (betcha you're grateful for that last one, I know I am)