Re: U.S. Curbs Big Plans For Border Tech Fence

Message has been deleted

Gary

Feb 24, 2008, 11:22:26 AM2/24/08
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:11:33 GMT, jimstevens
<jimst...@forgetthemail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>he said.
>
>A Boeing spokeswoman says Project 28 "is a proof of concept. The
>concept works." The company is nonetheless changing how it produces
>the technology. There will be more hardware and software testing at
>special centers, instead of relying on fixes made at the border, the
>spokeswoman says.
>
>Government officials had great ambitions for the project. Although
>it's unlikely that the entire border would be policed electronically,
>there are potentially 6,000 miles of the U.S. border with Canada and
>Mexico that could have been covered by advanced systems. That work
>would be worth billions of dollars. Success in the U.S. could also
>have led to overseas customers who want to use technology to track
>cross-border traffic and smuggling.
>
>Last month during a tour, customs and border-patrol officials showed
>Attorney General Michael Mukasey the rugged terrain that Project 28
>oversees. A Homeland Security Blackhawk helicopter soared above a vast
>expanse of breathtaking jagged desert peaks, amid which Project 28
>towers stood their sentinel watch over the border. "Admittedly, we
>gave Boeing some of the roughest parts of the border to work with," a
>border-patrol official told the attorney general, explaining what he
>said were many problems the system had encountered.
>
>In August, Boeing replaced the manager of Project 28. For months,
>Boeing and Homeland Security wouldn't say when the work was going to
>be complete. In early December, the government said it was closing in
>on taking delivery. But that same month, the government gave Boeing
>another $64 million contract to fix the "common operating picture,"
>which lets agents in vehicles see imagery from the towers'
>surveillance systems. Yesterday's announcement marked the final end of
>the testing period.
>
>Homeland Security officials took possession of the system over the
>objections of Congress, which has been critical of the department and
>of Boeing for the problems that have bedeviled the program. "We are no
>safer and out millions of dollars," said Democratic Pennsylvania
>Congressman Christopher Carney, oversight chairman in the House
>Homeland Security committee. "We were led to believe that this was
>going to be a Beta test for a virtual fence for the border. Certainly
>this is not the force multiplier it was supposed to be."
>
>Laura Keehner, a Homeland Security spokeswoman, said, "Those who
>choose to criticize without seeing the technology firsthand are merely
>bystanders of the product and have no idea how hard our border patrol
>is working to keep America safe. We would not have accepted it if it
>didn't work."
>
>In the meantime, construction of the physical barrier continues. On
>Friday, Mr. Chertoff said the government has already built about 300
>miles of fence and is on pace to build about 670 miles by the end of

High tech fence ? What's wrong with a machine gun nest every one
thousand feet ? That may be low tech -- but it would work like a
charm.

Jerry Okamura

Feb 24, 2008, 12:53:46 PM2/24/08
So, maybe someone should ask the candidates, what they think about this?

"jimstevens" <jimst...@forgetthemail.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Gary

Feb 24, 2008, 5:24:09 PM2/24/08
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:17:40 -0800, Rita <Ri...@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 07:53:46 -1000, "Jerry Okamura"
><okamu...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>So, maybe someone should ask the candidates, what they think about this?
>

>Clinton and Obama discussed the border rather extensively in their
>last debate. If you are at all interested, look up the transcript
>and read it.

Clinton made two statements during that mental masturbation that
proves she is not only unfit to be President of the USA but also not
fit to even be in the Senate.

"...You know, I have been adamantly against the efforts by some to
make English the official language. That I do not believe is
appropriate, and I have voted against it and spoken against it...."

I wonder why she voted against that ? Does she fail to understand why
all languages *except* English are called "foreign" ?

"...But I do think that English does remain an important part of the
American experience...."

"Think ?" That's mighty damn big of her.

http://polstate.com/?p=5254

Jerry Okamura

Feb 24, 2008, 5:47:30 PM2/24/08

"Rita" <Ri...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 07:53:46 -1000, "Jerry Okamura"
> <okamu...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>So, maybe someone should ask the candidates, what they think about this?
>
> Clinton and Obama discussed the border rather extensively in their
> last debate. If you are at all interested, look up the transcript
> and read it.

Don't know how to find that, but I did do a web search, and this is what I
found...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/02/21/schneider-clinton-obama-back-away-from-border-fence/

Immigration was a key issue, as it is to many Texans. Both candidates seemed
to alter their positions in Texas last night on the border fence. Both
Clinton and Obama said they do not support a border fence. They both voted
for it in the Senate last year.

Roberto Lovato is Contributing Editor for New America Media.

"Both candidates when they were asked about the wall didn't just backtrack,
the flip flopped in a huge way... I mean you have them previously both
voting for border wall and now both of them said they no longer support it
but they might support it in some areas which is a diplomatic way of flip
flopping out of diplomatic support.

That is all I could find