Re: Statement of Hillary Clinton on Libby Commutation

Message has been deleted

Matthew Scott

Jul 3, 2007, 3:09:04 AM7/3/07
sordoâ„¢ @mini-tru.org wrote:

> Statement of Hillary Clinton on Libby Commutation

> Senator Clinton issued the following statement on President Bush’s
> decision to commute the sentence of Scooter Libby:
> "Today's decision is yet another example that this Administration simply
> considers itself above the law. This case arose from the
> Administration's politicization of national security intelligence and
> its efforts to punish those who spoke out against its policies.

> Four years into the Iraq war, Americans are still living with the
> consequences of this White House's efforts to quell dissent. This
> commutation sends the clear signal that in this Administration, cronyism
> and ideology trump competence and justice."

Democrats are thinking about how to move their liberal agenda more
effectively, and that the Fairness Doctrine will cut their critics in
half, or take their main critics off the air. Even if the Fairness
Doctrine was defeated, there's nothing to stop a Democratic president in
the future with Democrat appointments to the FCC and a Democratic
Congress from reinstating it.
http://news.aol.com/elections-blog/category/fairness-doctrine/

> Bwaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

El Castor

Jul 3, 2007, 3:14:28 AM7/3/07
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:38:06 -0700, sordo™ @mini-tru.org wrote:

>Statement of Hillary Clinton on Libby Commutation
>
>Senator Clinton issued the following statement on President Bush’s
>decision to commute the sentence of Scooter Libby:
>
>"Today's decision is yet another example that this Administration simply
>considers itself above the law. This case arose from the
>Administration's politicization of national security intelligence and
>its efforts to punish those who spoke out against its policies. Four
>years into the Iraq war, Americans are still living with the
>consequences of this White House's efforts to quell dissent. This
>commutation sends the clear signal that in this Administration, cronyism
>and ideology trump competence and justice."
>

>Bwaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

"The exercise of executive clemency is inherently controversial. The
reason the framers of our Constitution vested this broad power in the
Executive Branch was to assure that the president would have the
freedom to do what he deemed to be the right thing, regardless of how
unpopular a decision might be."
... William Jefferson Clinton 2/18/2001

Thumper

Jul 3, 2007, 7:04:35 AM7/3/07
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 02:09:04 -0500, Matthew Scott
<sco...@interstate.awnings.com> wrote:

>sordoâ„¢ @mini-tru.org wrote:
>
>> Statement of Hillary Clinton on Libby Commutation
>
>> Senator Clinton issued the following statement on President Bush’s
>> decision to commute the sentence of Scooter Libby:
>> "Today's decision is yet another example that this Administration simply
>> considers itself above the law. This case arose from the
>> Administration's politicization of national security intelligence and
>> its efforts to punish those who spoke out against its policies.
>
>> Four years into the Iraq war, Americans are still living with the
>> consequences of this White House's efforts to quell dissent. This
>> commutation sends the clear signal that in this Administration, cronyism
>> and ideology trump competence and justice."
>
>Democrats are thinking about how to move their liberal agenda more
>effectively, and that the Fairness Doctrine will cut their critics in
>half, or take their main critics off the air.

Absolutely NOT TRUE!
Thumper

Roger

Jul 3, 2007, 9:53:34 AM7/3/07
sordoâ„¢ @mini-tru.org wrote:
> Statement of Hillary Clinton on Libby Commutation
>
> Senator Clinton issued the following statement on President Bush’s
> decision to commute the sentence of Scooter Libby:
>
> "Today's decision is yet another example that this Administration simply
> considers itself above the law. This case arose from the
> Administration's politicization of national security intelligence and
> its efforts to punish those who spoke out against its policies. Four
> years into the Iraq war, Americans are still living with the
> consequences of this White House's efforts to quell dissent. This
> commutation sends the clear signal that in this Administration, cronyism
> and ideology trump competence and justice."
>
> Bwaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

A president may conclude a pardon or commutation is warranted
for several reasons: the desire to restore full citizenship
rights, including voting, to people who have served their
sentences and lived within the law since; a belief that a
sentence was excessive or unjust; personal circumstances that
warrant compassion; or other unique circumstances.

Thumper

Jul 3, 2007, 12:52:01 PM7/3/07
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 08:53:34 -0500, Roger <roger...@gaganews.com>
wrote:

What other President has commuted the sentence of a member of his
staff before he has even served time?
Thumper

Jean Smith

Jul 3, 2007, 2:56:00 PM7/3/07
In article <468a54eb$0$12177$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
Roger <roger...@gaganews.com> wrote:

> sordo @mini-tru.org wrote:
> > Statement of Hillary Clinton on Libby Commutation
> >

> > Senator Clinton issued the following statement on President BushÄ…s

> > decision to commute the sentence of Scooter Libby:
> >
> > "Today's decision is yet another example that this Administration simply
> > considers itself above the law. This case arose from the
> > Administration's politicization of national security intelligence and
> > its efforts to punish those who spoke out against its policies. Four
> > years into the Iraq war, Americans are still living with the
> > consequences of this White House's efforts to quell dissent. This
> > commutation sends the clear signal that in this Administration, cronyism
> > and ideology trump competence and justice."
> >
> > Bwaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
>

> A president may conclude a pardon or commutation is warranted
> for several reasons: the desire to restore full citizenship
> rights, including voting, to people who have served their
> sentences and lived within the law since; a belief that a
> sentence was excessive or unjust; personal circumstances that
> warrant compassion; or other unique circumstances.

In this case it finishes the pursuit of information from Scooter regarding
the folks who the jury thought should have "really" been on trial until the
neocons reign is over.

--
Mother Tongue Bothers http://www.mtannoyances.com/?p=371 http://www.whynot.net
Op-Ed Columnist: A Vice President Without Borders, Bordering on Lunacy

Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley

Jul 3, 2007, 3:19:26 PM7/3/07
On Jul 3, 7:53 am, Roger <rogerbre...@gaganews.com> wrote:
> A president may conclude a pardon or commutation is warranted
> for several reasons: the desire to restore full citizenship
> rights, including voting, to people who have served their
> sentences and lived within the law since; a belief that a
> sentence was excessive or unjust; personal circumstances that
> warrant compassion; or other unique circumstances.

It's interesting to review Bill Clinton's huge list of pardons, some
of which are for pretty unsavory-sounding characters:

http://www.nohillaryclinton.com/2007/07/02/liberals-cry-about-bushlibby-pardon

George Z. Bush

Jul 3, 2007, 3:51:46 PM7/3/07

Sme thing I said to Roger and for the same reasons.........just in case you
missed it:

How come you weren't so understanding when Clinton pardoned a bunch of people at
the end of his term of office? His end-of-term pardons, which all presidents
exercise, generated a firestorm of criticism. Politics have anything to do
with it?

This one smells as bad to our noses as some of the ones Clinton did smelled to
yours. It isn't a tiny little bit better than any of those and, in some
respects, it's worse because this one evolved out of stuff that happened at a
level where it never should have. We expect more from people serving at such
lofty levels.....they're supposed to know more than to let themselves get caught
up in criminal acts that get them convicted of felonies.

George Z.

Thumper

Jul 3, 2007, 4:29:53 PM7/3/07

What nonsense. They were end of term pardons, and not for his staff.
Thumper

Islander

Jul 3, 2007, 4:57:11 PM7/3/07
Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley wrote:
Ronald Reagan dispensed 393 pardons and during his tenure, only three
less than Clinton. But, they were both underachievers by historical
standards. Truman pardoned 1,913, Eisenhower pardoned 1,110, Kennedy
pardoned 472, Johnson pardoned 960, Nixon pardoned 892, Ford pardoned
382, and Carter pardoned 534.

http://www.usdoj.gov/pardon/actions_administration.htm

I think that there were a lot of unsavory sounding characters in those
lists!

Florida

Jul 3, 2007, 6:31:28 PM7/3/07
On Jul 3, 3:19 pm, Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley <cowartmi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On Jul 3, 7:53 am, Roger <rogerbre...@gaganews.com> wrote:
>
> > A president may conclude a pardon or commutation is warranted
> > for several reasons: the desire to restore full citizenship
> > rights, including voting, to people who have served their
> > sentences and lived within the law since; a belief that a
> > sentence was excessive or unjust; personal circumstances that
> > warrant compassion; or other unique circumstances.
>
> It's interesting to review Bill Clinton's huge list of pardons,
some
> of which are for pretty unsavory-sounding characters:

Oh, well, then - if *you* have read a list of pardons, and the
characters on the list sound pretty unsavory to you, then there's a
good enough reason to call the whole list into question.
How come was it that you don't think a grown man called "Scooter"
sounds just a little strange?

> http://www.nohillaryclinton.com/2007/07/02/liberals-cry-about-bushlib...

Message has been deleted

Jose

Jul 3, 2007, 10:30:17 PM7/3/07

Whats ya bitching about. Da man gave a whole slew a reasons
for a commutation or pardon.

El Castor

Jul 3, 2007, 10:36:35 PM7/3/07
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 12:52:01 -0400, Thumper <jayl...@comcast.net>
wrote:

Slick Willy would have, but by some miscarriage of justice Hillary was
never charged.

Jeff

BTW -- Was she really named after Sir Edmund, the mountain climber?
Inquiring minds want to know.

"WASHINGTON — The political firestorm over pardons granted by Bill
Clinton during his final hours in the Oval Office has focused
attention not only on those pardoned but also on the lawyers and
friends who argued their causes.

Clinton's brother-in-law, Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign treasurer,
a former White House counsel and major Democratic donors were among
those helping people who were seeking pardons.

The former president says all 176 pardons and commutations were based
on the merits of the cases, not given to reward friends or political
patrons. Hillary Clinton told a news conference Thursday that she
played no role in the pardons, although she did pass applications
given to her to the White House counsel's office.

Of course, tapping go-betweens with personal or political ties to
decision-makers is hardly unprecedented in Washington. It's the
foundation of the capital's lobbying industry. Nevertheless, political
and legal analysts say the network of personal ties in the Clinton
cases have contributed to the furor .

"It plainly raises an appearance of impropriety," says Daniel Kobil, a
clemency expert and law professor at Capital University Law School in
Columbus, Ohio. "There may not be fire where there is smoke, but (the
involvement of Clinton associates) will always raise questions."

A comprehensive list of the lawyers and advocates for pardons isn't
available yet. Those already on the record include some who were paid
for legal services and some who acted on behalf of friends or
relatives.

They include:

* William Cunningham III, treasurer of Hillary Clinton's Senate
campaign in New York and a law partner of Harold Ickes, a former
deputy chief of staff for President Clinton. Cunningham was paid for
legal work on behalf of Robert Clinton Fain and James Lowell Manning,
Arkansas Republicans who were convicted in the 1980s of tax-related
charges. Both were pardoned.
* Hugh Rodham, the younger brother of Hillary Clinton. A former
public defender, Rodham received nearly $400,000 in fees from herbal
remedy magnate Almon Glenn Braswell, a businessman convicted of mail
fraud and perjury who was pardoned, and Carlos Vignali, a cocaine
trafficker whose sentence was commuted.

Vignali's father, Horacio, became a major political contributor
after his son was convicted and imprisoned in 1994. The elder Vignali
persuaded prominent Californians, including clergymen, law enforcement
officials and several leading Democrats, to write letters to Clinton
on his son's behalf. Among them was Los Angeles County Supervisor
Gloria Molina, who was vice chairwoman of the Democratic National
Convention last year.
* Kendall Coffey, a former U.S. attorney in Miami who represented
Al Gore in Florida during the recount effort after the election in
November. Coffey was among the lawyers hired to represent Braswell.
* Jack Quinn, a former White House counsel for Clinton and a
former chief of staff for Gore. Quinn was hired as a lawyer for Marc
Rich, the fugitive financier pardoned by Clinton. Also lobbying on the
billionaire's behalf were his former wife, Denise Rich, and Beth
Dozoretz, both major Democratic contributors.
* David Dreyer, a senior communications aide in the Clinton White
House. Dreyer told Time magazine that he asked former White House
chief of staff John Podesta and former White House counsel Beth Nolan
to support commuting the sentence of his relative, Harvey Weinig, who
was convicted in the 1990s of helping to launder $19 million for the
Cali drug cartel. Clinton commuted the sentence over the objections of
the Justice Department.
* Jesse Jackson, a Clinton ally who successfully appealed to
commute the sentence of former Illinois congressman Mel Reynolds,
serving a seven-year sentence for corruption and having sex with a
16-year-old campaign worker.

Clinton also commuted the sentences of three other Jackson
associates, among them Dorothy Rivers, a former official in Jackson's
Operation Push convicted of embezzling more than $1 million in
government money meant for homeless children.
* Terry McAuliffe, Clinton's friend and fundraiser who is now
chairman of the Democratic National Committee. McAuliffe was among
those who lobbied Clinton to pardon his friend James Lake, a former
campaign adviser to Ronald Reagan who pleaded guilty in 1995 to an
illegal campaign contribution scheme."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2001-02-22-pardondrama.htm

El Castor

Jul 3, 2007, 11:00:47 PM7/3/07

Please let me comment on that, George. I contend that Libby was
convicted and should have served his time. Bush was wrong. Clinton on
pardoned various and sundry (more than 150) associates, friends, and
clients of Democrat big wigs. Truly an enormous unsavory mess, and yet
I suspect that at the time you turned a blind eye. Please assure me
that I am wrong.

Jeff

"02/23/2001 - Updated 12:13 AM ET

Pardon drama casts wide net

By Susan Page and Mimi Hall, USA TODAY

They include:

And George, with regard to the last one, before you start crowing
about "Republican" and "scheme", James Lake made illegal contributions
to retire the debt of, yes, a Democrat, and not just any Democrat --
the brother of Mike Espy, Clinton's Secretary of Agriculture. Tsk,
tsk.

Jeff

marib

Jul 4, 2007, 12:52:09 AM7/4/07

Bwaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

<G>

marib

Jul 4, 2007, 12:52:07 AM7/4/07

Bwaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

<G>

George Z. Bush

Jul 4, 2007, 5:36:06 AM7/4/07

"Jose" <joda...@freenews.com> wrote in message

Yeah, and the man also said that he didn't want to disturb the jury's verdict.
Whatever happened to that old saying that says "if you do the crime, you have to
do the time"? You can bet your ass that it would apply if the culprit was a guy
named Jose, but somebody named Scooter is too good for it because he used to
work for the man! Sounds to me like somebody was talking out of both sides of
his mouth at the same time.

But why be surprised.....he sold us a war we didn't need, didn't he? We were
stupid to believe him then and we're just as stupid if we believe him now.

George Z.

Jose

Jul 4, 2007, 12:09:06 PM7/4/07

Surprise, surprise!
Before you make too much of an ass of yourself, Clinton was da
man that gave the slew of reasons for a commutation or pardon
so they didn't do their time.

February 18, 2001
Because of the intense scrutiny and criticism of the pardons
of Marc Rich and his partner Pincus Green and because
legitimate concerns have been raised, I want to explain what I
did and why.
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/18/opinion/18CLIN.html?ex=1183694400&en=ab0ce7c1233a045e&ei=5070

Jean Smith

Jul 4, 2007, 12:22:22 PM7/4/07
In article <mNxii.14$6a...@newsfe12.lga>,

"George Z. Bush" <georg...@charter.net.nospam> wrote:

GHW Bush seems to have had a soft spot for weapons violators.
http://www.usdoj.gov/pardon/bushgrants.htm

Islander

Jul 4, 2007, 12:24:04 PM7/4/07
It's a small world:

Lewis "Scooter" Libby represented Mark Rich from 1985 until the spring
of 2000 and was one of the three "distinguished Republican lawyers"
cited by Clinton who supported Rich's pardon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Rich

Thumper

Jul 4, 2007, 12:32:41 PM7/4/07
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 21:30:17 -0500, Jose <joda...@freenews.com>
wrote:

None of which were worth a crap.
Thumper

Jean Smith

Jul 4, 2007, 12:44:53 PM7/4/07
In article <u5-dnRABTfJSVBbb...@rockisland.com>,
Islander <nos...@privacy.net> wrote:

> > http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/18/opinion/18CLIN.html?ex=1183694400&en=ab0ce7c1233a045e&ei=5070
> >

> It's a small world:
>
> Lewis "Scooter" Libby represented Mark Rich from 1985 until the spring
> of 2000 and was one of the three "distinguished Republican lawyers"
> cited by Clinton who supported Rich's pardon.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Rich

That is probably the factoid of the day. :-)

Jose

Jul 4, 2007, 1:43:12 PM7/4/07

That's Clinton for ya!

George Z. Bush

Jul 4, 2007, 2:39:32 PM7/4/07

You're trying to change the subject.....not one of those guys that Clinton
pardoned occupied positions of trust in our government as did Scooter Libby.
The same was true of the thousand or so that Harry Truman pardoned, and of the
over 1100 that Ike pardoned.

Ordinary mortals can lie with impunity, but those feeding at the public trough
in positions of trust (such as the Chief of Staff for the Vice President of the
United States) need to know that they can lie only at great risk to themselves.
IOW, they are not as other common criminals of whom little is expected; we
expect more of them because they're supposed to know better and when they fail
us, they have to take the consequences and pay for their failed efforts at
crime.

No president should deprive us of the knowledge that people of lofty stature
have to pay for their crimes when they commit them; the rest of the people on
his present and future commutation and pardon lists are entitled to and probably
will receive presidential compassion. I have no problem with that. However, I
do have a problem with him letting them off the hook when they failed us by
doing things they knew better than to do. Betrayal is a hard thing for anyone
to forgive.

George Z.

Quote of the Century
"The American Indians found out what happens

when you don't control immigration"

George Z. Bush

Jul 4, 2007, 2:43:42 PM7/4/07

Sounds like you just pointed out that Jose made a bigger ass of himself than he
accused me of being. Thank you for your unexpected and kind help.....it
certainly helped make my day.

Jose

Jul 5, 2007, 4:45:34 PM7/5/07

It's a small world all right. Libby defended Rich's tax
evasion case. Clinton pardons Rich saying Rich didn't evade taxes.

Message has been deleted