CHRISTMAS FACTS AND FICTIONS

Gerry Palo

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
In article <4c13bk$1...@netsrv2.spss.com>,
William P Benedetti <wben...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

>Jeremiah 10 is speaking of idolatry in general, however, it is interesting that
>it is phrased in such a way that the christmas tree can be icluded as an idol.

But who worships a Christmas tree? Who even venerates a Christmas
tree? The Christmas tree doesn't have the symbolic standing of the
cross or even the fish or the rod of Jesse (also a tree symbol) in
Christian iconography and practice. I suppose if you carve a tree into
boards and line the inside of your house with them, adding decorations,
you are guilty of idolatry. There is no commandment, "Thou shalt use
common sense", but I think there may be an exigetical case for its
implicit existence

Gerry Palo Denver, Colorado
pa...@netcom.com

John Neff

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
>>Jeremiah 10 is speaking of idolatry in general, however, it is interesting
>>tha tit is phrased in such a way that the christmas tree can be icluded as
>>an idol.

>But who worships a Christmas tree?

You might consider this...

Jeremiah 10:15 They are vanity, and the work of errors: in the time of their
visitation they shall perish.

> Who even venerates a Christmas tree? The Christmas tree doesn't have the
>symbolic standing of the cross or even the fish or the rod of Jesse (also a
>tree symbol) in Christian iconography and practice. I suppose if you carve
>a tree into boards and line the inside of your house with them, adding
>decorations, you are guilty of idolatry. There is no commandment, "Thou
>shalt use common sense", but I think there may be an exigetical case for its
>implicit existence

Why do it, then if it is a vain practice? Do you see a realy purpose in
killing a tree to decorate it? God calls this practice vanity: "For the
customs of the people are vain:" That is the message.

"for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the
workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold;
they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not."

Vanity. Meaningless, serves no purpose. Worthless....

You might consider to do this istead...

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him
deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

There is more to being God's child then keeping ones self from breaking what
God has commandment. Is it not to love God by doing things which please God,
instead of vain things?

John

Gerry Palo

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
In article <4chfkj$n...@netsrv2.spss.com>, John Neff <jn...@uidaho.edu> wrote:

>>>Jeremiah 10 is speaking of idolatry in general, however, it is interesting
>>>tha tit is phrased in such a way that the christmas tree can be icluded as
>>>an idol.
>
>>But who worships a Christmas tree?
>
>You might consider this...
>
>Jeremiah 10:15 They are vanity, and the work of errors: in the time of their
>visitation they shall perish.
>
>> Who even venerates a Christmas tree? The Christmas tree doesn't have the
>>symbolic standing of the cross or even the fish or the rod of Jesse (also a
>>tree symbol) in Christian iconography and practice. I suppose if you carve
>>a tree into boards and line the inside of your house with them, adding
>>decorations, you are guilty of idolatry. There is no commandment, "Thou
>>shalt use common sense", but I think there may be an exigetical case for its
>>implicit existence
>
>Why do it, then if it is a vain practice? Do you see a realy purpose in
>killing a tree to decorate it? God calls this practice vanity: "For the
>customs of the people are vain:" That is the message.

Are you also against decorating your house with flowers? The soul needs
the food of beauty as much as the body needs physical food.

>You might consider to do this istead...
>
>Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him
>deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

How about in addition? May I not adorn my home and the sanctuary in
which I worship while I am bearing my cross in following him? He says,
"Take my yoke upon you, for my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

>There is more to being God's child then keeping ones self from breaking what
>God has commandment. Is it not to love God by doing things which please God,
>instead of vain things?

What makes you think that anyone thinks otherwise? Do you really think
that we heathens who decorate our homes with flowers, fir trees, and
other vanities like paintings think that this is what makes us God's
children? It is being God's children that enables us to have special joy
in these things of natural and manmade beauty which for others, without
the one thing needful, may indeed be vanity. When I admire the Christmas
tree I think with joy about the steadfastness of God's love even since
the Fall from Paradise, and the candles and ornaments on it fill me again
with joy over the renewal of life that Christ brought with his birth.

And when I put a lily plant in my home, I am reminded of his resurrection
and that his deed of life and death on Golgotha is a deed of renewal for
all life.

It is not the deed that is vain but what is in the mind and heart of the
doer. There is more vanity in the external following of rules, chapter
and verse as if that would buy salvation. I prefer to be filled with the
love and grace of Christ's salvation, and I celebrate this by decorating
my home and church, not vainly, but full of the joy of Christ's love.

J2KRAFT

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
In article <4chfkj$n...@netsrv2.spss.com>, jn...@uidaho.edu (John Neff)
writes:

>Why do it, then if it is a vain practice? Do you see a realy purpose in

>killing a tree to decorate it? God calls this practice vanity: "For
the
>customs of the people are vain:" That is the message.

It isn't vain to everyone. Some of my friends have them, and find they
express much of the joy and symbolism of the season these friends
celebrate Messiah's birth. G-d looks to the heart to judge an act.

Shalom, Jamie

John

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
>>>But who worships a Christmas tree?
>>
>>You might consider this...
>>
>>Jeremiah 10:15 They are vanity, and the work of errors: in the time of their
>>visitation they shall perish.
>>
>>> Who even venerates a Christmas tree? The Christmas tree doesn't have the
>>>symbolic standing of the cross or even the fish or the rod of Jesse (also a
>>>tree symbol) in Christian iconography and practice.

Perhaps you missed this:

"Thus saith the LORD,

Learn not the way of the heathen,
and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven;
for the heathen are dismayed at them."

God says to learn not these practices. It is a commandment of God through a
prophet. Jesus said. Many shall not live by bread alone, but by every word
that preceedeth out of the mouth of God. Scripture says, the law is for the
lawless, and Christ said not one Jot or tittle shall pass, until all be
fullfilled. Therefore I would suggest to you that learning not and teaching
not this practice is a good thing. It may or may not be one of the weightier
matters of the law, but it is non the less understood to be the will of God.

>Are you also against decorating your house with flowers?

Are you going to judge God's word according to what another man practices? I
would suggest that you place your trust in God's word and not what any man
does. You may freely consider every mans works if you will, but dont judge
God's word by them.

However; I am not aware of a commandment to not decorate your house with
flowers, but "seek ye first the kingdom of God and then all these things shall
be given to you as well" Personally my wife decides what to decorate
the house with, I personally dont have any preferences, but whatever she
wills to do, I do my best to love her in it as Christ loves the church. I
make known what I know is pleasing and displeasing to God and we work to
together to come to agreement on that.

> The soul needs the food of beauty as much as the body needs physical food.

Beauty of what? What do you consider beautiful? I consider that everything
that is came from God and he knows what is best for his creation and has made
that known. "seek ye first the kingdom of God"

>>You might consider to do this istead...
>>
>>Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him
>>deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

>How about in addition? May I not adorn my home and the sanctuary in
>which I worship while I am bearing my cross in following him? He says,
>"Take my yoke upon you, for my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

You might try understanding in that passage. Is it an easy thing to give up
sin once you have already practiced it for a while? Some things are tougher
then others. The easy yoke is to give up our own desires and let God do the
works. Try John 14. You need to do your own hearts desire.

Psalms 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the
desires of thine heart.

>>There is more to being God's child then keeping ones self from breaking what
>>God has commandment. Is it not to love God by doing things which please God,
>>instead of vain things?

>What makes you think that anyone thinks otherwise? Do you really think
>that we heathens who decorate our homes with flowers, fir trees, and
>other vanities like paintings think that this is what makes us God's
>children?

the subject is Christmas trees. The instruction was. Learn not the way of the
heathen. How can that instruction be given to the heathen? You might think
that over. The instruction was not to the heathen. You may do what you will
to do in your heart and I suggest that you do so. I am putting no burden of
yoke on you. I am not telling you where you will go, or where it will end. I
am showing you a passage. Decide in your own heart what you will. If you
disagree, then find, but do not block others from hearing and making there own
choice. Everyone must be sure in his own heart.

Rest CUT. This passage of prophesy is clear. Let's leave it at that. If
you do not want to abide by it, then that is your free choice.

John