Arsenio/Gay blowup--12/14/90

rex jones

Dec 15, 1990, 4:31:55 PM12/15/90

I was flipping through the channels last night when I saw Arsenio
apparently replying to someone who took vocal offense to one of
Arsenio's gay jokes. What was going on? Arsenio really looke pissed,
and when Paul Hogan came on, the host ranted for about 5 minutes or
so. What was the joke, and what was the reaction that set Arsenio off?

Thanks....

Joseph Francis

Dec 15, 1990, 5:49:50 PM12/15/90
Curous, since Arsenio is on the official hollywood 'closeted' list.

I remember an argument about Sam Kinison, and Andrew Dice Clay, on this
board a while back. I don't know if people know it, but their backers
are Barry Diller (Fox Studios, and I don't mean pornography...),
Sandy Gallin ('SuperManager', of Michael Jackson, et al), and I belive
that Legs Diamond man, whatever-his-name-is... All of whom are on the
official hollywood 'closet' list. Diller is famous for both being very
bald, and for getting 17-year-old boys to give him a blow job and then
throwing money at them and telling them to get the fuck out, in cruel
and sadistic manner (well, for a 17-year-old, whatever works, eh?).

Also known as the 'Velvet Mafia', I believe

---

jojo. Yes! jojo.

Steve Dyer

Dec 15, 1990, 6:11:06 PM12/15/90
In article <54...@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> j...@spdcc.COM (Joseph Francis) writes:
>and I belive
>that Legs Diamond man, whatever-his-name-is...

Liza's ex, Peter "I Go to Rio" Allen. Hand in your queer card, Jojo.
--
Steve Dyer
dy...@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

Rob Boldbear

Dec 16, 1990, 12:44:48 PM12/16/90

From the Oakland _Tribune_

Los Angeles - Talk-show host Arsenio Hall argued at the beginning of
his Friday program with two homosexual activists who demanded to know
why he doesn't internview more homosexual guests.

The nearly 10-minute debate, which at times turned into a shouting
match, appeared to run uncut on Friday's show.

It started when two men, one wearing a T-shirt carrying the slogan,
"Queer Nation, the other wearing a sweatshirt with the unexplained
acronym "MOTSS" [I through that in just to make sure you were awake. - RB],
stood up in the audience and questioned why Hall didn't have more
homosexual guests on the program.

"There are a lot of gay guests on this show," Hall shot back, "but it
ain't none of your damn business that they are gay!"

Hall, who 's black, said he is sensitive to the plight of all
minorities, but the hecklers accused him of making fun of homosexuals.

"I do black jokes. I do gay jokes," he said. [Does this mean he's gay?
Even if so, it doesn't count as self-mocking humor unless he's *known*
to be gay. - RB] "I'm a comedian." [Comedians have licenses sorta like
poets, I guess. - RB]
--
Rob Bernardo Mt. Diablo Software Solutions _ /
email: r...@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US phone: (415) 827-4301 <_/_><

Joseph Francis

Dec 17, 1990, 12:50:53 PM12/17/90
In article <54...@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dy...@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>In article <54...@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> j...@spdcc.COM (Joseph Francis) writes:
>>and I belive
>>that Legs Diamond man, whatever-his-name-is...
>
>Liza's ex, Peter "I Go to Rio" Allen. Hand in your queer card, Jojo.
>--
>Steve Dyer

I used to know a wonderful story about Peter Allen fucking boys in
Antibes. Someday I'll recall it. When I get my lavender card back.

Laura Creighton

Dec 19, 1990, 4:09:50 PM12/19/90

I did not see the show. If it were my talk show (not that mine would
likely be protested, of the first ten guest stars I thughtof, 3 were
known lesbians, and one was a known Gay man) then, when asked the
question ``how come you don't interview any more Gaypeople'' I would
reply ``How come you know that they aren't Gaypeople?''.

Would that have answered? Or were they just interested in a tv spotlight?

Laura

--
Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Laura Creighton
uunet!hoptoad!laura utzoo!hoptoad!laura sun!hoptoad!laura to...@toad.com

David Rogers

Dec 20, 1990, 4:38:07 PM12/20/90
Newsgroups: soc.motss,rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Arsenio/Gay blowup--12/14/90
From: David Christopher Rogers <dro...@riacs.edu>

[Arsenio being confronted by Queer Nation members who demanded to
know why he didn't have any openly gay people on his show]

From: la...@hoptoad.UUCP (Laura Creighton)

>If it were my talk show [...] then, when asked the

>question ``how come you don't interview any more Gaypeople''
>I would reply ``How come you know that they aren't Gaypeople?''.

He replied with a variant of that, which was something like, the
sexual orientation my my guests is their own business.

>Would that have answered?

Of course not, the issue is why our media does not allow any openly
gay voices to be seen.

>Or were they just interested in a tv spotlight?

This is crass. But it's a common debating technique to suggest ulterior
motives for a person rather than discuss the issue raised. Though,
broadly enough read, this is exactly what they wanted for gay people.

David Christopher Rogers
dro...@riacs.edu