hunky Asian men in the cinema

1 view

a flying squirrel

Aug 25, 1993, 3:01:10 AM8/25/93
William Hsu:

> (No, there aren't enough queer Asian punks to qualify as a type, yet.)

Read: Bill is still the only one, so far. After all, there's Cafe Flore
Postulate #33: if you go to the cafe and see a queer Asian punk there,
there is a 98.6% probability that it will be Bill.

richard ("all talk and no action")
--
a flying squirrel is ric...@ecureuil.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.

Richard Ottolini

Aug 25, 1993, 11:35:21 AM8/25/93
In article <25e5i3$p...@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu> cs...@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu (Scott Minor) writes:

>Who still hasn't recovered from seeing Mr Sulu shirtless in an old
>episode of Star Trek....someone tell George Takai, I'm available!

He is little older now, but the most "out" of the four GL people
in the two trek casts. Frequently seen in L.A. sites.

David Schachter

Aug 25, 1993, 12:31:00 PM8/25/93
In article <1993Aug25.1...@unocal.com> stg...@st.unocal.COM (Richard Ottolini) writes:
>He is little older now, but the most "out" of the four GL people
>in the two trek casts. Frequently seen in L.A. sites.

What? Ho? Who? What? Where? Who? Four? What? Who? When? Four?
Wubba wubba wubba...

Pardon my shameless curiousity, but who are the other three? And from what
source does this information come?

-- David "David Schachter" Schachter

--
______________________________________-_____________________________________
David Schachter Internet: d...@netcom.com

Daniel Bidwa

Aug 25, 1993, 1:50:14 PM8/25/93

nel...@reed.edu (Nelson Minar) writes:
|> Now, I don't know about that, but I was surprised to find that Roger
|> cowrote the screenplay for Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, the
|> faaabulous Russ Meyer film.
|>
|> I used to think of Siskel and Ebert as being mavens of mediocrity in
|> filmmaking, but after having seen Ebert's vision in that movie, well,
|> I have more respect for him.

Apparently Siskel and Ebert have had some large-scale rows regarding
Ebert's, um, low-brow film activities. Ebert's done some other B-movie
work, although I don't remember titles offhand. (Nelson, if you're not
reading "Psychotronic" (the magazine), you probably should be. :)

And _Beyond The Valley of the Dolls_ isn't nearly as good as _Supervixens_.

dbi...@sei.cmu.edu u.s. teens are spoiled bums

William Hsu

Aug 25, 1993, 1:39:42 PM8/25/93
Me:

> > (No, there aren't enough queer Asian punks to qualify as a type, yet.)

The Squirrel:

> Read: Bill is still the only one, so far.

Actually the situation is not as dire as that. But as far as
I know, in SF they can still be counted on the fingers of one hand,
and we all know each other...

Bill

Jeff Runner

Aug 25, 1993, 2:24:44 PM8/25/93
In article <1993Aug25.1...@unocal.com>,

FOUR?! who are the other three?

jeff, suddenly remembering rumors about patrick stewart...

Naz Reyes

Aug 26, 1993, 2:39:15 AM8/26/93
In article <25drao$7...@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov>, fog...@sir-c.jpl.nasa.gov (Tim
Fogarty) says:

>If you want to expand that to Asians and Pacific Islanders (a few of
>my Philipino friends hate being called Asian or Oriental), then my
>current favorite is Ernie Reyes Jr, the muscle twink in Surf Ninjas.
>However, it is best to see this movie with 8-10 year old nephews.

Oh, absolutely! Well, he may be a little young but give him a
few years and he's gonna blossom like the rest of *my* family :)

-Naz Reyes, the unstereotypical male Kinsey 6

>--
>Tim Fogarty (FOG...@SIR-C.JPL.NASA.GOV)

Naz Reyes

Aug 26, 1993, 3:13:54 AM8/26/93
In article <1993Aug24....@nic.csu.net>, h...@walnut.sfsu.edu (William
Hsu) says:

>RIchard Ottolini:
>>
>> My friend generally doesn't care for Asian men because he thinks they
>> are too boyish.
>
>Your friend has probably not been to San Francisco. Here, the "Asian
>gymbot" type is making a bid to unseat the "Asian boy" as the dominant
>"gay Asian look". :-)

Hah, forget Frisco. I'd say go directly to Manila, Philippines.
You'd be surprised to meet a bunch of Erik Estrada types that
would do manmeat anytime :)

-Naz Reyes, the unstereotypical, male Asian/Pacific Islander Kinsey 6 :)

>(No, there aren't enough queer Asian punks to qualify as a type, yet.)
>

>Bill

Clayton Colwell

Aug 26, 1993, 1:03:02 PM8/26/93

Oh ho ho! Now *here* is news! OK, George Takei is one. Who are
the other three?

--
Clay Colwell "If homosexuality is a disease, then let's all call
aka PlainsSmurf in queer to work." - Robin Tyler

Robert Hansen!

Aug 26, 1993, 5:15:16 PM8/26/93
In article <CCDM1...@austin.ibm.com> cla...@austin.ibm.com (Clayton Colwell) writes:

>In article <1993Aug25.1...@unocal.com>, stg...@st.unocal.COM (Richard Ottolini) writes:
>> In article <25e5i3$p...@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu> cs...@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu (Scott Minor) writes:
>> >
>> >Who still hasn't recovered from seeing Mr Sulu shirtless in an old
>> >episode of Star Trek....someone tell George Takai, I'm available!
>>
>> He is little older now, but the most "out" of the four GL people
>> in the two trek casts. Frequently seen in L.A. sites.

>Oh ho ho! Now *here* is news! OK, George Takei is one. Who are
>the other three?

At least two of the Tribbles...

ROBERT HANSEN - Oregon Health Sciences University - Portland, Oregon USA
- - - -
"...just another face in a red jump suit" - MST3K theme song

Thomas M Farrell

Aug 26, 1993, 9:59:57 PM8/26/93
In article <hanse...@ohsu.edu> han...@ohsu.edu (Robert Hansen!) writes:

In article <CCDM1...@austin.ibm.com> cla...@austin.ibm.com (Clayton Colwell) writes:

>Oh ho ho! Now *here* is news! OK, George Takei is one. Who are
>the other three?

At least two of the Tribbles...

All of the tribbles are bi. McCoy said so.
Tom
--
...let's face it, sweetheart - without Jews, fags, and gypsies, there IS no
theater. -Mel Brooks

George Dalton Madison

Aug 26, 1993, 11:41:34 PM8/26/93
Clay Colwell writes:
>Oh ho ho! Now *here* is news! OK, George Takei is one. Who are
>the other three?

George Takei being gay is *not* new news. In fact, I have a photo
of the two of us together that was taken a number of years ago
at the Sunset Junction street fair -- right in front of the booth
for the Frontrunners, a gay track club he was a member of.

While he's not incredibly activist and in-your-face-OUT, he's
also obviously not terribly closeted.

-----
[> George D. Madison | NBCS: B8f+t+w-e+s+k+a!cv | Just say NO to razors! <]
[> It's a BEAR thing -- you wouldn't understand. <|> fu...@cup.portal.com <]

Nick Fitch

Aug 27, 1993, 1:24:37 AM8/27/93
Colwell) wrote:

> Oh ho ho! Now *here* is news! OK, George Takei is one. Who are
> the other three?

No,no,no, Clay. There are NO gay people on Star Trek. By the 24th century
everyone will be so spiritually advanced that we'll all be *bisexual*. And
as Arne said on another thread:

>I'm stuck dating the same two or three losers, year
>after year after year. But you bisexuals, man, you've
>got the entire *galaxy* to pick from!

Ergo, starship crews must all be bi. But by some strange trick of
probability they only ever have a MOTOS on their arm when the camera is
pointed at them. Okay, George, now the season is over, here's your chance
with Jonathan Frakes.

--

______ ------------------------------------------------------------
\ / s5/7 b g(-) l y- z- o a(+) u+ v-- j+/++

J. S. Bibb

Aug 27, 1993, 8:32:54 AM8/27/93
In article <nfitch-26...@clinical-mac76-106.ucsd.edu> nfi...@ucsd.edu (Nick Fitch) writes:
>In article <CCDM1...@austin.ibm.com>, cla...@austin.ibm.com (Clayton
>Colwell) wrote:
>
>>I'm stuck dating the same two or three losers, year
>>after year after year. But you bisexuals, man, you've
>>got the entire *galaxy* to pick from!
>
>Ergo, starship crews must all be bi. But by some strange trick of
>probability they only ever have a MOTOS on their arm when the camera is
>pointed at them. Okay, George, now the season is over, here's your chance
>with Jonathan Frakes.

No! <snap> Stand in line......I am next with Will!

JBear

--
|=( \============| JBear :)
|=(_/============| In Huntsville, Alabama

phas@brspva

Aug 27, 1993, 10:26:39 AM8/27/93
In article <jbearCC...@netcom.com>, jb...@netcom.com (J. S. Bibb) writes:

> No! <snap> Stand in line......I am next with Will!
>
> JBear

Yes, alright, but just who are the other Gays in Startrek?

Andrew Spark ph...@siva.bris.ac.uk

I've never outraged nature. I've always listened to
her advice and followed it wherever it went. -Joe Orton

DXG...@psuvm.psu.edu

Aug 27, 1993, 10:22:27 AM8/27/93
I think that since it's been a week without anyone naming anyone else but
Takei, there probably aren't many others (at least not that are out.)

And I agree with the idea that people in the future will be more open to
same gender sex. The hang-up then will be sex with members of different
species. So, people who prefer motos (members of 'the' opposite species) will
be prejudiced againt. (I took the liberty of having only one opposite species
in order to keep the 'the' and therefore the motos...)

* Dave Gelman, mild-mannered Penn State student * DXG...@psuvm.psu.edu *

Richard Ottolini

Aug 27, 1993, 11:05:34 AM8/27/93
In article <1993Aug27.142639.1@brspva> phas@brspva writes:
>In article <jbearCC...@netcom.com>, jb...@netcom.com (J. S. Bibb) writes:
>>
>> No! <snap> Stand in line......I am next with Will!
>>
>> JBear
>
>Yes, alright, but just who are the other Gays in Startrek?
GT for certain. WK, NN, BS, and LB rumored. However the last was because of
his effeminacy. He got married earlier this year.

Greg Parkinson

Aug 27, 1993, 11:18:20 AM8/27/93

In article <GANDALF.93...@damon.ccs.neu.edu>, gan...@ccs.neu.edu (Thomas M Farrell) writes:
|> In article <hanse...@ohsu.edu> han...@ohsu.edu (Robert Hansen!) writes:
|>
|> In article <CCDM1...@austin.ibm.com> cla...@austin.ibm.com (Clayton Colwell) writes:
|>
|> >Oh ho ho! Now *here* is news! OK, George Takei is one. Who are
|> >the other three?
|>
|> At least two of the Tribbles...
|>
|> All of the tribbles are bi. McCoy said so.

Alas, my tribbles, like the lesbian sheep, remain silent
on the issue.

--
Greg Parkinson Phone: 212-657-7814 Fax: 212-657-4599
Citibank,111 Wall Street E-Mail: g...@fig.citib.com

Gabe M Wiener

Aug 27, 1993, 12:07:05 PM8/27/93

Thomas M Farrell <gan...@ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

>All of the tribbles are bi. McCoy said so.

Interesting anecdote: When David Gerrold wrote the script, he had originally
put in "asexual"....the Paramount researchers essentially came back to him
and said "Better make 'em bisexual, unless you want them to reproduce by
fission."

--
Gabe Wiener -- gm...@columbia.edu -- N2GPZ -- PGP on request
Sound engineering, recording, and digital mastering for classical music

Wanda Wolfe

Aug 27, 1993, 12:25:06 PM8/27/93

I suppose the latter statement proves positively that he isn't, huh?

Wanda Wolfe | High flying adored -- I've been called names
| But they're the strangest. Evita

Michael Bryan

Aug 27, 1993, 4:27:05 AM8/27/93
In article <jbearCC...@netcom.com> jb...@netcom.com (J. S. Bibb) writes:
>In article <nfitch-26...@clinical-mac76-106.ucsd.edu> nfi...@ucsd.edu (Nick Fitch) writes:
>>pointed at them. Okay, George, now the season is over, here's your chance
>>with Jonathan Frakes.
>
>No! <snap> Stand in line......I am next with Will!

Well, as soon as I'm done with him, I'll send him your way.

Reminds me of a post from days gone by. I think it deserves posting
again... here 'tis:

Subject: Re: Star Trek and GBLO-folx TIMELINE
Newsgroups: soc.motss

In article <1991Dec19....@spdcc.com> BBC wrote:
>BBC, hoping he can figure out
>a way to get a diety on ST:TNG
>named after Waldeaux... :-)
>(I know WHO I have to brainwash,
>the question is HOW... :-)

I can see it now! Waldeaux comes trouncing onto the bridge of the
Enterprise, fur and leather intact, introducing himself as one of the
good "Q". After helping them defeat an invasion force of radical
fundamentalists, he and Picard agree on an arrangement wherein
Waldeaux will join the Federation for an undetermined amount of
time, serving as special liason to the Q aboard the Enterprise.
(Picard is quite open to such a suggestion, since he no longer has
Wesley to save the ship every day, and needs *somebody*!)

Waldeaux takes an immediate liking to Ryker, who discovers that he
does indeed like bears, and realizes that all of his holo-images of
women have been a desparate attempt to ignore his own reality. The
episode closes with scenes of Waldeaux moving various things into
Ryker's quarters, including a very interesting bed with plenty of
attachments made of leather and chain.

A number of other episodes throughout the season feature an occasional
mention of their relationship and Waldeaux's special talents, and
Ryker's new off-duty wardrobe. The season culminates in the
cliffhanger episode, with Waldeaux and Ryker about to be married, when
Tasha Jr shows up with the newest allies of the Romulan Empire, the
Leathermen of Ursa Major. The episode ends with Waldeaux entranced by
their hypnotic ultra-sonic leather whipguns and ready to divulge the
Federation's deepest secrets, Ryker trying desparately to muster
support from StarFleet while facing the intense agony of having his
loved one stolen from him, and Tasha Jr laughing maniacly as she
envisions the final victory of the Romulan Empire. Closeup on her
glinting eyes, then fade to black, with the overtitle "To Be
Continued..."

Sounds like a wonderful season to me! :-) :-) :-)
Michael Bryan mic...@resonex.com +1 510 249 9600 Ext 325
Resonex, Inc. ____ ____
47911 Westinghouse Dr. \ / \ /
Fremont, CA 94539 \/ Hate is not a family value. \/

boy brent

Aug 27, 1993, 4:34:51 PM8/27/93
stg...@st.unocal.COM (Richard Ottolini) writes:

Goodness, i thought _everyone_ had heard the rumors about DeForest Kelley.
They were circulating before the first series was cancelled.
--
boy brent B4 htw[csegk]++ | the problem with labels
bca...@agora.rain.com (gay stuff) | is that they only describe

Bao Phac Do

Aug 27, 1993, 8:41:30 PM8/27/93
In article <1993Aug24....@unocal.com> stg...@st.unocal.COM (Richard Ottolini) writes:

>I and my friend just went to see "The Wedding Banquet" about an caucasian
>and Chinese couple having some problems with Chinese relatives.
>It both an amusing and poignant trans-cultural coming out story.
>It was made from the Chinese point of view.

>My friend generally doesn't care for Asian men because he thinks they
>are too boyish. However the lead role was an athletic masculine guy.

Hey, not all of us are small, short and boyish! Some are quite big, 'american' and
tall... :-)

>Second one this year after the other atheletic actor who played
>Bruce Lee in "Dragon".

baophac

Clay Colwell

Aug 30, 1993, 1:00:27 PM8/30/93

In article <jbearCC...@netcom.com>, jb...@netcom.com (J. S. Bibb) writes:
> In article <nfitch-26...@clinical-mac76-106.ucsd.edu> nfi...@ucsd.edu (Nick Fitch) writes:
> >In article <CCDM1...@austin.ibm.com>, cla...@austin.ibm.com (Clayton
> >Colwell) wrote:
> >
> >>I'm stuck dating the same two or three losers, year
> >>after year after year. But you bisexuals, man, you've
> >>got the entire *galaxy* to pick from!

Er, just for the record, I did *not* make the above statements.
(Sean wouldn't appreciate me calling him a loser, anyway! ;-)

It's a frayed fragment from one of the bi threads (watch those
attributions, Nicky! Don't be putting words in my mouth [now,
if you had something *else* in mind, we could talk...]).

Nick Fitch

Aug 30, 1993, 11:10:42 PM8/30/93
In article <nfitch-30...@clinical-mac76-106.ucsd.edu>,
nfi...@ucsd.edu (Nick Fitch) wrote:

> Anytime, Mr. Colwell. Though it would be to carry on a conversation under
> the circumstances I have in mind.

That should have read "...it would be _hard_ to carry on a
conversation...". I don't know why it doesn't say that. Perhaps I just
took mutual hardness for granted, given the circumstances.

I've had a long day. Someone take me home.

boy brent

Aug 31, 1993, 1:50:04 AM8/31/93
nfi...@ucsd.edu (Nick Fitch) writes:
>I've had a long day. Someone take me home.

OK! Let's have a cookout! i'll fire up the violet wand.

Frederick Vaughn

Aug 31, 1993, 1:33:36 PM8/31/93
In article <CCG1x...@odin.corp.sgi.com> bao...@boytoy.csd.sgi.com (Bao Phac Do) writes:

>Hey, not all of us are small, short and boyish! Some are quite big, 'american' and
>tall... :-)

Agreed. If any football fans on the net have the (mis)fortune to catch
the New England Patriots sometime this coming season, watch for a player
named Gene Chung; very tall, very beefy, and VERY Korean! Unfortunately,
he's an offensive tackle, and therefore never actually touches the ball, so
the cameras probably won't show his grandeur that often.

F.R.E.D. (a DIVA!!! who's not ashamed to admit that he plans on spending most
u u d I weekend afternoons this fall watching grown men pound each other over
n l u V the skin of a pig)
k i c A
y n a !
g t !
e !
FREDERICK ELOY VAUGHN fva...@lynx.crc.neu.edu (PRIMARY)
UA_...@northeastern.edu/UA_...@NUHUB.BITNET (SECONDARY)
"Why didn't Dionne Warwick call Latoya Jackson and tell her that her a**
was gonna get whooped? THAT'S what psychic friends are for."

William A. Parsons

Aug 31, 1993, 10:55:04 PM8/31/93
fva...@lynx.dac.northeastern.edu (Frederick Vaughn) writes:
:
: F.R.E.D. (a DIVA!!! who's not ashamed to admit that he plans on spending most
: u u d I weekend afternoons this fall watching grown men pound each other over
: n l u V the skin of a pig)
: k i c A
: y n a !
: g t !
: e !
: d

Have you thought of giving Chip Graham a call?

-Will

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Will Parsons | You've got foolishness and
| wickedness all mixed up.
wpa...@unix.cc.emory.edu |
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Clayton Colwell

Sep 1, 1993, 11:41:25 AM9/1/93

In article <nfitch-30...@clinical-mac76-106.ucsd.edu>, nfi...@ucsd.edu (Nick Fitch) writes:
> In article <CCL0K...@austin.ibm.com>, cla...@austin.ibm.com (Clay
> Colwell) wrote:

[above statements deleted]

> > Er, just for the record, I did *not* make the above statements.
> > (Sean wouldn't appreciate me calling him a loser, anyway! ;-)
>
> It wasn't me! I never attributed that to you! Arne wrote it. I *said*
> that Arne wrote it in the text. JBear chopped out my text that said that
> Arne wrote it. So just for the record:
>
> CLAY'S LOVER IS *NOT* A LOSER!!!!!
>
> Happy?

<harrumph!> That's better. ;-)

> > It's a frayed fragment from one of the bi threads (watch those
> > attributions, Nicky! Don't be putting words in my mouth [now,
> > if you had something *else* in mind, we could talk...]).
>

> Anytime, Mr. Colwell. Though it would be to carry on a conversation under

> the circumstances I have in mind. ^

"difficult"? "interesting"? "HARD"?

It's *got* to be the third, in which case "Mr. Colwell" seems a
tad, er, *formal*, eh?

Call me Clay (or call me anytime).

Kirk Thege

Sep 1, 1993, 4:41:34 PM9/1/93
Being a life-long Asianophile, and don't ask me why, but I'd stand in line
a LONG time for an evening with Jean-Luc! So suave, so sophisticated,
so strong in an ideal male-way, and so bald.
Maybe I'm living in a daddy fantasy.

-Kirk

Kirk Thege Electronics Research Lab
ucbvax!zabriskie!kirk 400A Cory Hall
ki...@zabriskie.berkeley.edu University of California
(415) 642-0312 Berkeley CA, 94720

Onward ... thru the fog

Joe Clark

Sep 1, 1993, 8:35:16 PM9/1/93
Man-lovers who desire the athuhletic Orientalist type should also look for
Chris Paek of (I think) the Pittsburgh Penguins. I don't fancy the
athuhletic Orientalist type myself, so I cannot vouch for his beauty, but
along with Michael Chang (tennis), Paek is one of the few Asian pro
athuhletes.

(so says Joe, the fag[-]sportswriter)
--

Joe Clark
joec...@scilink.org

phas@brspva

Sep 2, 1993, 8:56:01 AM9/2/93
In article <2631du$3...@agate.berkeley.edu>, ki...@kalalau.berkeley.edu (Kirk Thege) writes:
> Being a life-long Asianophile, and don't ask me why, but I'd stand in line
> a LONG time for an evening with Jean-Luc! So suave, so sophisticated,
> so strong in an ideal male-way, and so bald.
> Maybe I'm living in a daddy fantasy.

Surely that should read 'Anglophile', He is from Wakefield after all

Daniel Bidwa

Sep 2, 1993, 1:20:40 PM9/2/93

joec...@scilink.org (Joe Clark) writes:
|> Man-lovers who desire the athuhletic Orientalist type should also look for
|> Chris Paek of (I think) the Pittsburgh Penguins.

That's Jimmy Paek. He'd be a decent defense player, too, if he didn't
keep getting stuck on such shitty lines.

And yes, he's in the Penguins. (He was also in the Saskatoon New Moon
Baboons, but since that was just a rotisserie hockey team, I don't
expect anyone else to know that. :)

dbi...@sei.cmu.edu u.s. teens are spoiled bums

7th Ragged Tiger

Sep 5, 1993, 2:20:53 AM9/5/93

Sorry, I am a newbie to this group. But, my vote goes for Jason Scott Lee
in "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story."

Seemant, who is not gay but appreciates a good looking guy when he see one!

MM: What time do they stay up till in America?
3: Oh very late, sometimes quarter to eleven
PE: Actually, I've heard in New York they sometimes stay up till midnight
MM: No wonder they do all that shouting, they must be very snappy and irritable
PE: That's right

(from "Stutter Rap" by Morris Minor and the Majors (Phil 'Er Up, and the 3rd guy)

--
*subliminal disclaimer here -> *
"You're too shot to use it" - Duran Duran ("Too Much Information")