Porno for women vs. Women's porno

Sandra Hereld

Dec 12, 1992, 3:27:34 PM12/12/92
I have been e-mailing chatting with a few people recently on the subject of
slash (hi Nelson, sarah, Kelly...) and thought to myself, why bore three
people, when there are thousands on the net to bore...

What is slash? and why should you care...
Slash all started with Kirk and Spock. Thousands of fans wrote thousands of
(usually bad) Trek stories. A lot of them involved injuring one or the other
and then finally, having them show how much they cared by taking care of the
injured partner. After some time, the injury was scrapped, and they cut right
to the 'caring', i.e., sex. There are thousands of fan written Trek K/S
stories, some explicit, some not, where K and S are lovers (there are also
some with McCoy,some great threesome stories, etc.)

Blake's 7 also has a huge amount of fan fiction. Much of this is straight
but again, much of it involves same sex characters on the show. Virtually
all of these stories are written by women, virtually all of these stories
are read by women, and much of it is the best porn I can find!

Which is not to say that all of it is explicit, (or even good), but some...

Let me quote from a Avon/Vila I happen to have at hand.

[Avon runs the relationship, but in bed, Vila plays the role Avon has
assigned...] (stuff that looks like dialogue, but lacks " marks is thought...)

..Vila rested one hand on one wounded buttock;the heat from the welts twisted
his heart. Ah, Avon, why's it always got to be like this with us, eh? The
Delta thief's chameleon ability to change demeanor and tone for every situation
harshened his voice again, made him sink his fingers into the sore backside
till a whimper rose from the pillow again. He couldn't harden his heart, but
he squeezed back the stinging tears, and threw all his anger at Avon into his
voice. "Right. So you just lie there wit yer arse up like a good little bitch
and I'll give you a servicing you won't forget." With a shove meant to convey
contempt, Vila released his grip on the man's nape and took hold of Avon's ass
with both hands, spreading the cheeks and exposing the puckered anus. His
gripping hands eased for a moment, fingers stroking rather than digging into the
flesh beneath them. A litle scented oil and a lot of time; Avon, I could show
you what these fingers of mine can do when they're not opening safes. I could
unlock you so sweetly,
"Vila!" Avon hissed harshly--this tone his usual imperious snarl.
Vila yanked apart the cheeks, and spit unerringly on the little rosebud
he had been admiring. "Shut up, you," he snapped throwing his anger at his
target with the same accuracy. "Or I'll stick something worse than _this_ up
you. And he drove his way in, to the gasps and sighs from the cowed man
beneath him. His words came out harsher, heavy with his gasping exertion. "Oh
yeah, you like this, don't you, you little shite?"
"Yes,yes."
"Yes what?" Vila hissed menacingly, playing his role perfectly.
"Yes, sir!"
Vila turned his head way, set his teeth and drove in; if any of his
tears fell on Avon's back, he hoped the man would think they were sweat
droplets. Want to hold you, Avon, want to tell you pretty things. He slapped
the man's other cheek, hard, and kept up the stream of vicious words aimed at
the beaten creature beneath him.
And he got his reward; Vila clung to the body beneath his as it
shuddered in the grip of orgasm, the voice a high-pitched whine. His teeth set,
Vila withdrew from the relaxing body beneath his, took hold of his rigid
cock with one hand, and finished himself off, hissing joylessly as the
shudder ran through him and letting the ejac soak into the covers beneath the
still-parted legs he knelt between.

[Now, of course, this story has a happy ending. Avon buys a bench, the better
to be abused with, Vila ties him to it, gags him, and when he can no longer
fight back, gives him all the (graphic) sweet loving he's always wanted to, and
Avon (of course) loves it too.]

What makes this "female porn"? I guess, the huge emotional component of
virtually all of the stories.

This is not a typical plot, except for the fact that the emotion is
as, or more important than the sex.

Maybe the pacing as well. For those out there (who got this far)
does the pacing seem slower than 'real' male porn?

Nelson Minar

Dec 13, 1992, 4:41:48 AM12/13/92
In article <1992Dec12....@u.washington.edu> rhi...@carson.u.washington.edu (Sandra Hereld) writes:
>I have been e-mailing chatting with a few people recently on the subject of
>slash (hi Nelson, sarah, Kelly...) and thought to myself, why bore three
>people, when there are thousands on the net to bore...

great! I don't worry any more if my posts entertain anyone - I just
blithely post what comes to mind. But here you are, posting actual
motss relevant stuff. Amazing. (psst, someone get her a pod.)

>Blake's 7 also has a huge amount of fan fiction. Much of this is straight
>but again, much of it involves same sex characters on the show. Virtually
>all of these stories are written by women, virtually all of these stories
>are read by women, and much of it is the best porn I can find!

Can you give us fandom-ignorant folks an idea where we could acquire
slash? How does one tell if it's going to be good? I get the
impression this is not the sort of thing that's published widely..

[Avon/Vila story deleted. Sigh.]

>What makes this "female porn"? I guess, the huge emotional component of
>virtually all of the stories.

damn, wish I could find more "female porn". Maybe I should start
reading On Our Backs..

>This is not a typical plot, except for the fact that the emotion is
>as, or more important than the sex.

But I see your point. A good portion of gay male porn is pretty empty,
especially the movies. There's a certain charm in reading about or
watching men do nothing but simply *fuck*, but I prefer things with
emotional context, and hopefully emotional interest.

>Maybe the pacing as well. For those out there (who got this far)
>does the pacing seem slower than 'real' male porn?

Hard for me to say from the sample you posted - it seems like a small
vignette from a much larger story. For that matter, I don't know that
I know enough about `real' male porn to make an authoritative
statement about the way it is paced.

I've been reading some fun stuff recently, a collection of queer male
porn called "Flesh and the Word." It's edited by the same guy who did
Hometowns, and I think it's pretty good. There's one really hot
S&M-type story titled "Blue Light" that originally ran in (I think)
Drummer. Most of the other stories are pretty good, including more
emotion than I expected to find in humpy porn. (Yes, it will get you
off). Buy it if you've been thinking about it.
__
nel...@reed.edu \/ What in this room is alive and what doesn't have life?

Sandra Hereld

Dec 13, 1992, 9:01:26 PM12/13/92
I'm going to respond in a couple of pieces...
This one is more about my solitary sex life than any of you want to know.

In article <1992Dec13.0...@reed.edu> nel...@reed.edu (Nelson Minar) writes:

>I've been reading some fun stuff recently, a collection of queer male
>porn called "Flesh and the Word." It's edited by the same guy who did
>Hometowns, and I think it's pretty good. There's one really hot
>S&M-type story titled "Blue Light" that originally ran in (I think)
>Drummer. Most of the other stories are pretty good, including more
>emotion than I expected to find in humpy porn. (Yes, it will get you
>off). Buy it if you've been thinking about it.
> __

I read it, and liked it o.k. but...
I find there is two types of gay male porn:

1st- Stuff in magazines without any pretention to 'litrature' -misspelling int.
You know, "I screwed the contractor," in this months Advocate ad section.
It certainly works for me. But I wouldn't read it unless I had already made
the decision that I wanted to jerk off right then.

Second-Vaguely arty porn. Samuel Steward-Phil Andros, the For the Love
of a Master series, most of Flesh and the Word...
I enjoy reading it, might even read it if I wasn't already feeling ichy, but
it really doesn't work as one-handed reading for me-it doesn't get me off.

The "/" I mentioned before, or at least the explicit subset of it, is
enjoyable reading *and* gets me off.

Sandra Hereld

Dec 13, 1992, 9:17:53 PM12/13/92
Yes, and this time alittle less about my sex life...

In article <1992Dec13.0...@reed.edu> nel...@reed.edu (Nelson Minar) writes:

>In article <1992Dec12....@u.washington.edu> rhi...@carson.u.washington.edu (Sandy Hereld) writes:
>
>>Blake's 7 also has a huge amount of fan fiction. Much of this is straight
>>but again, much of it involves same sex characters on the show. Virtually
>>all of these stories are written by women, virtually all of these stories
>>are read by women, and much of it is the best porn I can find!
>
>Can you give us fandom-ignorant folks an idea where we could acquire
>slash? How does one tell if it's going to be good? I get the
>impression this is not the sort of thing that's published widely..

Well, not only is this stuff homosexual, which would annoy some folks, and
explicit, which would annoy some other folks, and *very* small press, whicfh
would annoy any bookseller trying to make a living, it also exists in a
gray area in copyright law, since all of these stories are about copyrighted
characters.

Once you actually have a zine, it will have addresses for other zines, and
addresses for zines that are nothing but lists of other zines for sale (usually
with reviews) It is hard to get into though.

There are a couple of scholarly books out recently about media fandom; they
both mention slash fandom (one even has pictures of slash art--Napolean and
Illya, remember them?) Both writers talk about how they'd been doing research
for years before any of their fan connections would tell them about (or
show them examples of) slash. The books are Enterprising Women, by Camille
Bacon-Smith, and Textual Poachers by Henry Jenkins. I recommend them both
for anyone interested in the creation of popular myths.

Nelson Minar

Dec 14, 1992, 6:11:17 AM12/14/92
In article <1992Dec14....@u.washington.edu> rhi...@carson.u.washington.edu (Sandra Hereld) writes:
>Second-Vaguely arty porn. Samuel Steward-Phil Andros, the For the
>Love of a Master series, most of Flesh and the Word... I enjoy
>reading it, might even read it if I wasn't already feeling ichy, but
>it really doesn't work as one-handed reading for me-it doesn't get me
>off.

Hmm, that's too bad! Seriously "arty" porn doesn't get me off, no, but
if I identify with a character or even with some of the genitalia,
then it will get me off. It's the main reason I managed to finish
"Naked Lunch". I still think it's damned unreadable, but I knew that
if I stuck with the book long enough I'd find something that turned me
on. Some of the stories in "Flesh and the Word" made me quite hot -
Blue Light and Waiting for Chernenko (?), among others. Some of them
were just boring..

I actually read some erotica written and posted to the net that was
pretty good - both reasonably well written and it made me horny. The
weird thing was that it was (more or less) het porn. I found that I
identified with the woman who was being ravished.
__
nel...@reed.edu \/ Homosexuals were invented for an episode of Barney Miller

Elf Sternberg

Dec 14, 1992, 6:56:02 PM12/14/92
In article <1992Dec13.0...@reed.edu>
nel...@reed.edu (Nelson Minar) writes:

>In article <1992Dec12....@u.washington.edu> rhi...@carson.u.washington.e>du (Sandra Hereld) writes:
>
>>Blake's 7 also has a huge amount of fan fiction. Much of this is straight
>>but again, much of it involves same sex characters on the show. Virtually
>>all of these stories are written by women, virtually all of these stories
>>are read by women, and much of it is the best porn I can find!
>

>Can you give us fandom-ignorant folks an idea where we could acquire
>slash? How does one tell if it's going to be good? I get the
>impression this is not the sort of thing that's published widely..

No, but go to any convention and you can find *lots* of it. It's on
it's way to being an accepted standard nowadays, although a much-
disdained one (some fans object strongly to the 'homosexualization' of
their heroes, and many fans are *still* raving conflicts of desire and
erotophobic socialization. And so it goes.) some of the time. One of
my *absolute favorite* examples of slash fandom wasn't a story, but
art. At Baycon there were some completely gorgeous drawings of
Napoleon Solo and his sidekick (whos name I can never remember) in some
gorgeously romantic (and sometimes blantanly sexual) poses. The faces
were nearly perfect, too.

>>Maybe the pacing as well. For those out there (who got this far)
>>does the pacing seem slower than 'real' male porn?

>Hard for me to say from the sample you posted - it seems like a small

>vignette from a much larger story. For that matter, I don't know that
>I know enough about `real' male porn to make an authoritative
>statement about the way it is paced.

Three things I read recently that intrigue me in this respect were
"The Erotic Naiad," "Macho Sluts," and "Herotica," all self-described
examples of "Porn by women for women," the first two being lesbian-
oriented specifically. The last, "Herotica," is written for a more
mainstream audience, and of the three, was the most terminally boring.

"Macho Sluts" was the most mechanical of the three, almost as if
this 'fiction for butch women' was written to prove women can write
empty, sexual experiences as well as men can.

"The Erotic Naiad..." Now THIS book really hooked me. Although the
women writers can often be accused of vicious teasing and metaphor
abuse, the stories are hot. Not in the mechanistic, four-letter word
variety replete through most erotic fiction (my own included), but in
the buildup and climax (ahem) of the plots themselves. Good stuff.
Probably the best story in the book was "The Darkroom." *Growf*.

All of which only proves the conundrum that straytz can't write hot
porn. And I refuse to believe Anne Rice is strayt. :-)

Elf !!!
--
Elf Sternberg. (e...@halcyon.com)
Due to a bureaucratic error, you are offered the job of county coroner.

Elf Sternberg

Dec 14, 1992, 6:56:26 PM12/14/92
In article <1992Dec14....@reed.edu>
nel...@reed.edu (Nelson Minar) writes:

>I actually read some erotica written and posted to the net that was
>pretty good - both reasonably well written and it made me horny. The
>weird thing was that it was (more or less) het porn. I found that I
>identified with the woman who was being ravished.

*Giggle* Reminds me of a questionnaire on alt.sex I filled out once
as a joke. One of the questions was "What is your favorite _couple_ in
pornography to watch, and why?" My answer was:

Tom Byron and Traci Lords.
'Cause I can't figure out which one I envy more!

John R. Beer

Dec 14, 1992, 7:36:19 AM12/14/92
In <1992Dec14....@u.washington.edu> Sandra Hereld:

>There are a couple of scholarly books out recently about media fandom; >they
>both mention slash fandom (one even has pictures of slash art--Napolean >and
>Illya, remember them?) Both writers talk about how they'd been doing >research
>for years before any of their fan connections would tell them about (or
>show them examples of) slash. The books are Enterprising Women, by >Camille
>Bacon-Smith, and Textual Poachers by Henry Jenkins. I recommend >them both
>for anyone interested in the creation of popular myths.

Constance Penley has also written about slash fandom--I don't know
exactly where, but Andy Ross makes references to her work in his
own (rather brief) discussion of the stuff in his book "No Respect".

john (who hopes you're all impressed with his pop-culture-studies-hipness)

john beer
dept. of philosophy
univ. of pittsburgh
jrb...@vm3.cis.pitt.edu