OT: Frank Maloney is back

Frank R.A.J. Maloney

Oct 18, 2008, 12:52:25 PM10/18/08
I am posting this notice to let any one of my motssers who cares know
why I haven't posted in over 6 weeks and that I am back, in a limited
way. Without going into all the medical details, I been hospitalized for
last period, but am home now. I have entered Hospice care but expect in
a next months to continue to enjoy the newsgroup and to make such
contributions as will be appropriate.

Please do not feel sorry for me. I do not. I am happy, content,
comfortable, in no pain, in my own home, surrounded by my partner, our
friends, our cats, and the extensive resources of Hospice.

However, if any of you, especially those with whom I have enjoyed an
e-mail conversation with in the past care to write me at any time that
would be a fair treat.

--
Frank in Seattle
____

Frank Richard Aloysius Jude Maloney
"Millennium hand and shrimp."

Jess Anderson

Oct 18, 2008, 2:34:01 PM10/18/08

Frank Maloney:

> [] I have entered Hospice care but expect in a next

> months to continue to enjoy the newsgroup and to make
> such contributions as will be appropriate.

> Please do not feel sorry for me. I do not. I am happy,
> content, comfortable, in no pain, in my own home,
> surrounded by my partner, our friends, our cats, and the
> extensive resources of Hospice.

I've written to Frank, but in public I'd like to say that
I can't help being saddened by such news.

For better or worse, I feel a community-style connection to
soc.motss, and as a result I also feel an impending loss.

At 73 years, 5 months (yesterday), I've given much thought
to what my final chapter might be like. Frank is doing
exactly what I would hope to do.

--
[] Of all manifestations of power, restraint impresses men
[] most.

Frank McQuarry

Oct 18, 2008, 2:49:33 PM10/18/08
Frank R.A.J. Maloney wrote:
> I am posting this notice to let any one of my motssers who cares know
> why I haven't posted in over 6 weeks and that I am back, in a limited
> way. Without going into all the medical details, I been hospitalized for
> last period, but am home now. I have entered Hospice care but expect in
> a next months to continue to enjoy the newsgroup and to make such
> contributions as will be appropriate.
>
> Please do not feel sorry for me. I do not. I am happy, content,
> comfortable, in no pain, in my own home, surrounded by my partner, our
> friends, our cats, and the extensive resources of Hospice.
>
> However, if any of you, especially those with whom I have enjoyed an
> e-mail conversation with in the past care to write me at any time that
> would be a fair treat.

My wishes for a complete recovery.

It's good to have you back, Frank.

Kathryn

Oct 18, 2008, 5:05:33 PM10/18/08
On Oct 18, 9:52 am, "Frank R.A.J. Maloney" <fr...@blarg.net> wrote:

> Please do not feel sorry for me. I do not. I am happy, content,
> comfortable, in no pain, in my own home, surrounded by my partner, our
> friends, our cats, and the extensive resources of Hospice.

I am very glad to hear you have what sounds like the best surroundings
for what we all will have to go through in the end. But I am sad for
me, and the rest of us.

I have been going up to Seattle fairly frequently, to help my sister
and her partner with their impending child and new house. If you feel
like you'd like a visitor, say the word and I'll let you know when I
come up next.

Kathryn

Kathryn

Oct 18, 2008, 5:07:11 PM10/18/08
Also, you know, this is hardly OT.

Jack Hamilton

Oct 18, 2008, 5:36:25 PM10/18/08
On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 13:34:01 -0500, Jess Anderson <ande...@wisc.edu>
wrote:

>At 73 years, 5 months (yesterday), I've given much thought
>to what my final chapter might be like. Frank is doing
>exactly what I would hope to do.

At my memorial service, I want a performance of the Mahler Second
Symphony, with full live orchestra and chorus.

Doesn't seem likely, somehow.

If not, then perhaps small group performances of a few vocal works:

- Linden Lea, by Ralph Vaughn Williams
- Love Alone, by Ned Rorem

and probably others

Hypodeemic Nerdle

Oct 18, 2008, 5:38:24 PM10/18/08
I can't think of anything to type, except:

*hugs*

--
G.

Kathryn

Oct 18, 2008, 5:47:01 PM10/18/08
On Oct 18, 2:36 pm, Jack Hamilton <j...@acm.org> wrote:

> At my memorial service, I want

And thus a new stat field is born.

Hey, leave the funds, we'll arrange the concert.

Rod Williams

Oct 18, 2008, 6:47:44 PM10/18/08
Jack Hamilton:

> > At my memorial service, I want

Kathryn Burlingham:

> And thus a new stat field is born.
>
> Hey, leave the funds, we'll arrange the concert.

This unhappy event is probably sooo far in the future that I'll then,
in my dotage, be able to play the cello divinely in that Mahler
orchestra. But if not, maybe the tenor section in the chorus?

And for *my* send-off, I'm thinking maybe Max Bruch's "Kol Nidrei" for
cello and orchestra, and "Every Time We Say Goodbye," with Betty
Carter and Ray Charles (a recording will do; resurrections not
required).

KLS

Oct 18, 2008, 8:36:29 PM10/18/08
Frank, thank you for letting us know about your situation. There have
been a few motssers I wondered about who just seemed to disappear (one
who comes to my mind is George Dalton Madison), so I appreciate your
update, but regret the circumstances, inevitable though they really
are for all of us.

Katie, who really hopes we get Obama in the White House, just to
improve those circumstances!
--
Katie Schmitz, Rochester, NY
klschmitz Uppercase 2 frontiernet.net

David W. Fenton

Oct 18, 2008, 9:26:53 PM10/18/08
Jess Anderson <ande...@wisc.edu> wrote in

> Frank Maloney:
>
> > [] I have entered Hospice care but expect in a next
> > months to continue to enjoy the newsgroup and to make
> > such contributions as will be appropriate.
>
> > Please do not feel sorry for me. I do not. I am happy,
> > content, comfortable, in no pain, in my own home,
> > surrounded by my partner, our friends, our cats, and the
> > extensive resources of Hospice.
>
> I've written to Frank, but in public I'd like to say that
> I can't help being saddened by such news.
>
> For better or worse, I feel a community-style connection to
> soc.motss, and as a result I also feel an impending loss.
>
> At 73 years, 5 months (yesterday), I've given much thought
> to what my final chapter might be like. Frank is doing
> exactly what I would hope to do.

My mother's passing was greatly eased by the home hospice program --
the people were just marvelous, and they were there at all hours of
the day and night. It's quite amazing to me that such "progressive"
medical care is now mainstream enough to be available to someone who
lives where my family came from, out in the middle of nowhere.

I extend my kind thoughts to Frank and hope he is comfortable and
surrounded by those who love him.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/

Ellen Evans

Oct 18, 2008, 10:29:21 PM10/18/08
In article <e29f91eb-1ef1-4b73...@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

Kathryn <pi...@pacifier.com> wrote:
>On Oct 18, 9:52 am, "Frank R.A.J. Maloney" <fr...@blarg.net> wrote:
>>
>> Please do not feel sorry for me. I do not. I am happy, content,
>> comfortable, in no pain, in my own home, surrounded by my partner, our
>> friends, our cats, and the extensive resources of Hospice.
>
>I am very glad to hear you have what sounds like the best surroundings
>for what we all will have to go through in the end. But I am sad for
>me, and the rest of us.

My thoughts exactly.
Ellen Evans If my life wasn't funny, it would
je...@panix.com just be true, and that's unacceptable.
Carrie Fisher

Max Vasilatos

Oct 18, 2008, 10:45:19 PM10/18/08
Frank R.A.J. Maloney wrote:

> I have entered Hospice care but expect in
> a next months to continue to enjoy the newsgroup and to make such
> contributions as will be appropriate.

Well at least there's *that*. There are quite a few things of which I
do not feel I've gotten enough, and your erudite articulations of your
experience are among those, so please try to throw in as many of them as
you can when you have the time, thanks.

> Please do not feel sorry for me. I do not. I am happy, content,
> comfortable, in no pain, in my own home, surrounded by my partner, our
> friends, our cats, and the extensive resources of Hospice.

Sounds pretty good to me. If you say it's ok, I'm not one to argue. If
you email me your postal address, I'll send you a holiday card with my
lovely visage on it, as I bother so many motssers with every year. It's
a tradition you should have joined long ago.

Jack Hamilton

Oct 19, 2008, 12:09:46 AM10/19/08

I finally found the words to this:

http://shenzichua.blogspot.com/2008/06/here-by-paul-monette.html

I think the New York City Gay Men's Chorus has recorded it. Great
piece.

I'm sorry to hear about Frank, but glad that he told us what's
happening.

Jess Anderson

Oct 19, 2008, 12:34:56 AM10/19/08

Jack Hamilton:
> Jess Anderson:

>> At 73 years, 5 months (yesterday), I've given much
>> thought to what my final chapter might be like. Frank is
>> doing exactly what I would hope to do.

> At my memorial service, I want a performance of the
> Mahler Second Symphony, with full live orchestra and
> chorus.

> Doesn't seem likely, somehow.

> If not, then perhaps small group performances of a few
> vocal works:

> - Linden Lea, by Ralph Vaughn Williams
> - Love Alone, by Ned Rorem

> and probably others

My current instructions suggest the original recording of
Britten's War Requiem or Beethoven's Quartet in C# Minor,
Op. 131. A live performance of either or both might really
happen, given various roles I've played in the music life
of my town.

While writing this (circular coherence) I was listening to
another piece that would be quite appropriate, the aria
"Schlummert ein, irh matten Augen" from J.S. Bach's Cantata
No. 82, "Ich habe genug", sung by the incomparable David
Daniels.

This aria was sung on my harpsichord debut recital program
by a great friend and collaborator, the soprano Bettina
Bjorksten, who died earlier this year, a few weeks short of
her 100th birthday.

Well, there's also Cantata No. 159, "Sehet! wir gehn hinauf
gen Jerusalem", which ends with the incredible aria "Nun
will ich eilen Und meinem Jesu Dank erteilen. Welt, gute
Nacht! Es ist vollbracht! (Now I will hurry and give
thanks to my Jesus. Good night, world, it is accomp-
lished!). The last, "es is vollbracht", is German for the
Latin Bible's "Consummatum est", the last words of Jesus
on the cross.

Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau's completely gorgeous recording of
this aria was the very last selection on my very last radio
broadcast.

To show how attentive and sophisticated my audience for
over 10 years was, for that program I had played only Bach
and had made no announcements. About two-thirds of the way
through, the phone rang and a friend said "You're quitting,
aren't you?" Indeed I was. To this day I think that's one
of the most remarkable things that ever happened in my
life.

Later that week I flew to California to meet Rob Bernardo,
then of this precinct, for the first time. Much history was
to flow from that event.

One thing (at least!) is muddled in my memory. Did I meet
you, Jack, on that trip (a party for the birthdays of
Oriana Spadix and me) at Rob's, or was it during the first
con a few weeks later? I know a bunch of us went for a walk
up the free range behind Rob's place in Concord on one or
both occasions. In my memory it's the earlier event. I'm
sure I have a photo of you from that walk (but don't ask me
where it is now).

--
[] There is something fascinating about science. One gets
[] such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a

Kathryn

Oct 19, 2008, 1:44:21 AM10/19/08

Well Frank, it appears you're getting the rundown on how we want to go
out, musically speaking. I hope it amuses.

Me, I have already informed my local friends I want the Lions of
Batucada

YouTube video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE49JwzDO7I&feature=related

http://www.lionsofbatucada.com/

Frank McQuarry

Oct 19, 2008, 9:49:05 AM10/19/08
Kathryn wrote:
> Well Frank, it appears you're getting the rundown on how we want to go
> out, musically speaking. I hope it amuses.

I haven't got any musical wishes for my death. I want my ashes cast
into the Mississippi on a sunny spring day.

Nick Fitch

Oct 19, 2008, 3:03:10 PM10/19/08
In article <e72dnSfTWbPMiWfV...@posted.isomediainc>,
fr...@blarg.net says...

[sad news elided]

Best wishes and sympathies, Frank; you've been a fixture here for a long
time. Here's hoping the remaining time stretches out.

--Nick

Jack Hamilton

Oct 19, 2008, 3:21:31 PM10/19/08
On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 23:34:56 -0500, Jess Anderson <ande...@wisc.edu>
wrote:

>One thing (at least!) is muddled in my memory. Did I meet

>you, Jack, on that trip (a party for the birthdays of
>Oriana Spadix and me) at Rob's, or was it during the first
>con a few weeks later? I know a bunch of us went for a walk
>up the free range behind Rob's place in Concord on one or
>both occasions. In my memory it's the earlier event. I'm
>sure I have a photo of you from that walk (but don't ask me
>where it is now).

My memory is also hazy, but I think my first mass exposure to motss
was at the .con in Golden Gate Park.

Kathryn

Oct 19, 2008, 3:23:37 PM10/19/08
On Oct 19, 6:49 am, Frank McQuarry <fmcqua...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I haven't got any musical wishes for my death. I want my ashes cast
> into the Mississippi on a sunny spring day.

The north Mississippi, so your ashes take as long as possible to get
to the ocean? Not N'Orleans?

The tontine idea is gaining ground in my head--I'm really tempted to
go get a really good bottle of Scotch and inscribe the names of
motssers as we go, so Jed and Beth can have a nice evening some day.

Frank McQuarry

Oct 19, 2008, 4:20:12 PM10/19/08
Kathryn wrote:
> On Oct 19, 6:49 am, Frank McQuarry <fmcqua...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> I haven't got any musical wishes for my death. I want my ashes cast
>> into the Mississippi on a sunny spring day.
>
> The north Mississippi, so your ashes take as long as possible to get
> to the ocean? Not N'Orleans?

Yes. (I'll be following my cat's ashes all the way.)

> The tontine idea is gaining ground in my head--I'm really tempted to
> go get a really good bottle of Scotch and inscribe the names of
> motssers as we go, so Jed and Beth can have a nice evening some day.

.con event!

Kathryn

Oct 19, 2008, 4:52:34 PM10/19/08
On Oct 19, 1:20 pm, Frank McQuarry <fmcqua...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Kathryn wrote:
>
> > The tontine idea is gaining ground in my head--I'm really tempted to
> > go get a really good bottle of Scotch and inscribe the names of
> > motssers as we go, so Jed and Beth can have a nice evening some day.
>
> .con event!

Jed: Where shall we have the .con this year?
Beth: Well, I was thinking Gary Indiana, we haven't done that yet,
right?
Jed: ...
Beth: I'll meet you in JP again. Next weekend work for you?

Frank R.A.J. Maloney

Oct 19, 2008, 7:09:14 PM10/19/08

What a generous offer. And of course, I love a visit if that fits with
your plans sometime. Email me at the appropriate time and I'll give you
my address.

Thank you so much.

Frank

Frank R.A.J. Maloney

Oct 19, 2008, 7:11:18 PM10/19/08
Kathryn wrote:
> Also, you know, this is hardly OT.

Thank you.

Michael Thomas

Oct 20, 2008, 10:57:24 AM10/20/08

Frank, do you remember our walk down the mall at the DC con? I can't
even remember what we were headed to now, but there it is all etched
in my memory n stuff.
--
Michael Thomas (mi...@mtcc.com http://www.mtcc.com/~mike/)
shirikodama is best enjoyed through the anus

Michael Thomas

Oct 20, 2008, 11:01:52 AM10/20/08

Fuck that noise. I want to be dressed as Dawn Davenport still
strapped to the Chair for a dramatic open coffin reveal.

Jess Anderson

Oct 20, 2008, 12:43:59 PM10/20/08

Mike Thomas:

> I want to be dressed as Dawn Davenport still strapped to the
> Chair for a dramatic open coffin reveal.

Perfect! With double egg salad on white toast at the reception
following, I hope? You have the dress already, right?

--
[] Capote should be heard, not read.
[] -- Gore Vidal

Rod Williams

Oct 20, 2008, 10:26:11 PM10/20/08
Jack Hamilton:

Kathryn Burlingham:
> >> And thus a new stat field is born.

Hey, leave the funds, we'll arrange the concert.

Rod Williams:

> > This unhappy event is probably sooo far in the future that I'll then,
> > in my dotage, be able to play the cello divinely in that Mahler
> > orchestra.  But if not, maybe the tenor section in the chorus?
>
> > And for *my* send-off, I'm thinking maybe Max Bruch's "Kol Nidrei" for
> > cello and orchestra, and "Every Time We Say Goodbye," with Betty
> > Carter and Ray Charles (a recording will do; resurrections not
> > required).

Michael Thomas:

>   Fuck that noise. I want to be dressed as Dawn Davenport still
>   strapped to the Chair for a dramatic open coffin reveal.

... with what playing in the background, Dawn? The mourners on kazoos
going, "Is That All There Is?"

Frank R.A.J. Maloney

Oct 21, 2008, 2:45:03 PM10/21/08

Actually this is one of the things I have not thought about until this
subthread developed about memorial services. I'm sure Lyndol and his
jazz combo would want to play and if one or two people felt like sharing
their impressions that would be jake with me. Other than that my
instructions will no doubt emphasize simplicity and brevity and a
kick-ass reception.

Hey, I am Irish-American after all.

Frank R.A.J. Maloney

Oct 21, 2008, 2:46:37 PM10/21/08

Puget Sound off the stern of one of our ferries would suit me.

I wonder if we'll need a permit from Homeland Security.

Frank R.A.J. Maloney

Oct 21, 2008, 2:52:37 PM10/21/08
Michael Thomas wrote:
> Nick Fitch <viromanc...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>> In article <e72dnSfTWbPMiWfV...@posted.isomediainc>,
>> fr...@blarg.net says...
>>
>> [sad news elided]
>>
>> Best wishes and sympathies, Frank; you've been a fixture here for a long
>> time. Here's hoping the remaining time stretches out.
>
> Frank, do you remember our walk down the mall at the DC con? I can't
> even remember what we were headed to now, but there it is all etched
> in my memory n stuff.

I remember it quite clearly. I hadn't quite gotten back my walking legs
and there was a powerful lot of walking connected with that con. We
doing a forced march, or it seemed to me, from base of the Lincoln
Memorial to the Capitol. I and the late Fred stopped at a basin and
fountain in front (in back?) of the Capitol and some of the people with
us went up the steps. We explored the garden and then adjourned to
Smithsonian's modern art museum where we had lunch and split up to tour
the galleries. It was a wonderful day in ever regard. Thanks for
rememing of it.

mp...@mail.utexas.edu

Oct 21, 2008, 4:46:49 PM10/21/08
>  > Jess Anderson:

> My current instructions suggest the original recording of
> Britten's War Requiem or Beethoven's Quartet in C# Minor,
> Op. 131. A live performance of either or both might really
> happen, given various roles I've played in the music life
> of my town.

I want "May Sheep Safely Graze," "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" (as
recorded by the Presevation Hall Dixieland Band, and some deep basso
to sing "Deep River."

Michael Thomas

Oct 21, 2008, 5:38:41 PM10/21/08
"Frank R.A.J. Maloney" <fr...@blarg.net> writes:
> Michael Thomas wrote:
>> Nick Fitch <viromanc...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>>> In article <e72dnSfTWbPMiWfV...@posted.isomediainc>,
>>> fr...@blarg.net says...
>>>
>>> [sad news elided]
>>>
>>> Best wishes and sympathies, Frank; you've been a fixture here for a
>>> long time. Here's hoping the remaining time stretches out.
>> Frank, do you remember our walk down the mall at the DC con? I
>> can't even remember what we were headed to now, but there it is
>> all etched
>> in my memory n stuff.
>
> I remember it quite clearly. I hadn't quite gotten back my walking
> legs and there was a powerful lot of walking connected with that
> con. We doing a forced march, or it seemed to me,

Those are exactly the words I was thinking too!
I can't remember what on earth the March was
for... I vaguely think it was to meet up with
others or something. I don't think that either
Aric or Derik was with us.. I vaguely remember
that Sammie was filling in as Lesbian Boyfriend
for me keeping those two from wandering off
bridges or taking candy from strangers.

> from base of the
> Lincoln Memorial to the Capitol. I and the late Fred stopped at a
> basin and fountain in front (in back?) of the Capitol and some of the
> people with us went up the steps. We explored the garden and then
> adjourned to Smithsonian's modern art museum where we had lunch and
> split up to tour the galleries. It was a wonderful day in ever
> regard. Thanks for rememing of it.

Yeah, yeah the Smithsonian... I remember the
Hope Diamond. The DC con has got to be my
favorite one of all... and where are Kristin and
Sammie these days?

Michael Thomas

Oct 21, 2008, 5:41:43 PM10/21/08

Not _You're the Top_?

Frank McQuarry

Oct 21, 2008, 7:13:36 PM10/21/08
Frank R.A.J. Maloney wrote:
> Frank McQuarry wrote:
>> Kathryn wrote:
>>> Well Frank, it appears you're getting the rundown on how we want to go
>>> out, musically speaking. I hope it amuses.
>>
>> I haven't got any musical wishes for my death. I want my ashes cast
>> into the Mississippi on a sunny spring day.
>
> Puget Sound off the stern of one of our ferries would suit me.
>
> I wonder if we'll need a permit from Homeland Security.

The image is beautiful. I imagine a gray sky, the wind whipping the
water into a frenzy, and the cries of gulls in the air.

And in honor of our many martini threads, a toast and a toss of the
glass into the sea.

Frank R.A.J. Maloney

Oct 22, 2008, 1:42:48 PM10/22/08

The only thing about my wonky liver that I truly, truly regret is no
more martinis or any other form of alcohol. I gave up coffee in February
but this much, much harder. I still have my memory, including the taste,
the perfect negroni, however.

mp...@mail.utexas.edu

Oct 22, 2008, 5:26:09 PM10/22/08
On Oct 21, 4:41 pm, Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:
> "mp...@mail.utexas.edu" <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> writes:
> >>  > Jess Anderson:
> >> My current instructions suggest the original recording of
> >> Britten's War Requiem or Beethoven's Quartet in C# Minor,
> >> Op. 131. A live performance of either or both might really
> >> happen, given various roles I've played in the music life
> >> of my town.
>
> > I want "May Sheep Safely Graze,"  "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" (as
> > recorded by the Presevation Hall Dixieland Band, and some deep basso
> > to sing "Deep River."
>
>   Not _You're the Top_?
> --
> Michael Thomas  (m...@mtcc.comhttp://www.mtcc.com/~mike/)

> shirikodama is best enjoyed through the anus

But if, Baby, you're a bottom, I'm the
tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop!

Rod Williams

Oct 23, 2008, 2:10:42 AM10/23/08
Frank R.A.J. Maloney:

> The only thing about my wonky liver that I truly, truly regret is no
> more martinis or any other form of alcohol. I gave up coffee in February
> but this much, much harder. I still have my memory, including the taste,
> the perfect negroni, however.

Yum! Have you considered maybe concocting a negroni and dabbing it
behind your ears...?

Hypodeemic Nerdle

Oct 23, 2008, 5:02:15 AM10/23/08
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:26:09 -0700 (PDT), "mp...@mail.utexas.edu"
<mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote this:

>But if, Baby, you're a bottom, I'm the
>tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop!

Welcome back.

--
G.

Frank R.A.J. Maloney

Oct 23, 2008, 11:54:30 AM10/23/08

Thanks for starting my day with a good laugh.

mp...@mail.utexas.edu

Oct 23, 2008, 3:17:14 PM10/23/08

Oh, Gherkinalena, I will always have you near in my heart of hearts.

Hypodeemic Nerdle

Oct 23, 2008, 4:28:23 PM10/23/08
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:17:14 -0700 (PDT), "mp...@mail.utexas.edu"
<mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote this:

>Oh, Gherkinalena, I will always have you near in my heart of hearts.

Your heart's got a heart? What are you, a Time Lord?

Thanks, M.

--
G.

David W. Fenton

Oct 23, 2008, 5:57:17 PM10/23/08
"mp...@mail.utexas.edu" <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in
:

> But if, Baby, you're a bottom, I'm the
> tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop!

I thought of you on Monday night. A client/friend of mine took me to
see Jordy Savall's group do their Don Quixote program ("reviewed"
today at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/23/arts/music/23sava.html),
and I couldn't help but think of you. You should have been dancing.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/

Mike McManus

Oct 24, 2008, 12:10:53 AM10/24/08
Frank R.A.J. Maloney wrote:
> Frank McQuarry wrote:
>> Kathryn wrote:
>>> Well Frank, it appears you're getting the rundown on how we want to go
>>> out, musically speaking. I hope it amuses.
>>
>> I haven't got any musical wishes for my death. I want my ashes cast
>> into the Mississippi on a sunny spring day.
>
> Puget Sound off the stern of one of our ferries would suit me.
>
> I wonder if we'll need a permit from Homeland Security.

Apparently it's up to the captain to determine if it is safe and
non-interfering (with Coast Guard activities, etc.) to do so. Details at
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/info_desk/faq/index.cfm?faq_id=5 .

We were thinking of scattering Brandy's ashes off one of the ferries,
but haven't decided yet. Or maybe sprinkling them about in the park
where she wasn't allowed when she was alive, just for spite. But dog
ashes and people ashes might be treated differently.

--
Mike McManus
Renton (soon to be Everett), WA

Rod Williams

Oct 24, 2008, 1:21:37 AM10/24/08
Frank R.A.J. Maloney:

> >> I haven't got any musical wishes for my death.  I want my ashes cast
> >> into the Mississippi on a sunny spring day.
>
> > Puget Sound off the stern of one of our ferries would suit me.
>
> > I wonder if we'll need a permit from Homeland Security.

Mike McManus:

> Apparently it's up to the captain to determine if it is safe and
> non-interfering (with Coast Guard activities, etc.) to do so. Details at
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/info_desk/faq/index.cfm?faq_id=5.

Wow - that's lovely! And sooo civilized.

mp...@mail.utexas.edu

Oct 24, 2008, 12:43:50 PM10/24/08
On Oct 23, 4:57 pm, "David W. Fenton" <XXXuse...@dfenton.com.invalid>
wrote:
> "mp...@mail.utexas.edu" <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote innews:36bf3f6f-cfe5-405d...@k7g2000hsd.googlegroups.com

> :
>
> > But if, Baby, you're a bottom, I'm the
> > tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop!
>
> I thought of you on Monday night. A client/friend of mine took me to
> see Jordy Savall's group do their Don Quixote program ("reviewed"
> today athttp://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/23/arts/music/23sava.html),

> and I couldn't help but think of you. You should have been dancing.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

Well, aren't you sweet to think of me. I'm getting all revved up to
sing "Dance: Ten, Looks: Three" (aka "Tits 'n' Ass") from _A Chorus
Line_ tomorrow at a fundraiser. The worst part is shaving off the
goatee. Oh well, then on to Santa Claus a la Elvis (Bruce
Springsten's version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town") for the
finale at a Christmas show for Ballet Austin. Gurl, if I only got
paid for this shit like I used to.

Frank R.A.J. Maloney

Oct 24, 2008, 1:15:42 PM10/24/08

Mike, thank you so much for this link. I am going to print out the page
and save it in the paper file I'm starting of notes for a memorial service.

I used to think that funerals and memorial services were an unnecessary
display of ego on the part of the departed but lately I've grown to
understand how important they can be the ones left behind.

I'm still in the brief and simple mode, with kick-ass party to follow,
however.

David W. Fenton

Oct 24, 2008, 2:43:59 PM10/24/08
"mp...@mail.utexas.edu" <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in
m:

> I'm getting all revved up to
> sing "Dance: Ten, Looks: Three" (aka "Tits 'n' Ass") from _A
> Chorus Line_ tomorrow at a fundraiser. The worst part is shaving
> off the goatee. Oh well, then on to Santa Claus a la Elvis (Bruce
> Springsten's version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town") for the
> finale at a Christmas show for Ballet Austin. Gurl, if I only got
> paid for this shit like I used to.

...said the actress to the Bishop.

Jack Hamilton

Oct 24, 2008, 2:45:49 PM10/24/08
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:15:42 -0700, "Frank R.A.J. Maloney"
<fr...@blarg.net> wrote:

>I'm still in the brief and simple mode, with kick-ass party to follow,
>however.

A friend who recently died (after a long and varied life) had specific
instructions about his memorial service, including "Keep it short.
More than 45 minutes is unnecessary and BORING!"

None of that "Who wants to stand up and ramble on about the deceased?"
at his funeral.

Frank R.A.J. Maloney

Oct 24, 2008, 2:49:26 PM10/24/08

Your friend was a person after my own heart.

ailuropoda melanoleuca torontonensis

Oct 24, 2008, 3:02:08 PM10/24/08
> > [mikey]

> > Gurl, if I only got paid for this shit like I used to.
> [david]

> ...said the actress to the Bishop.

finally!

someone else who uses that figure of speech! I am quite prone to
introducing double entendres into conversation with "as the actress
said to the bishop" (or bishop-to-actress), but I don't often see
others - especially 'murricans - using the phrase.

manly neither an actress nor a bishop panda

Nick Fitch

Oct 24, 2008, 3:19:53 PM10/24/08
In article <Ld-dnSLapOpdhZ_U...@posted.isomediainc>,
fr...@blarg.net says...

> Jack Hamilton wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:15:42 -0700, "Frank R.A.J. Maloney"
> > <fr...@blarg.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm still in the brief and simple mode, with kick-ass party to follow,
> >> however.
> >
> > A friend who recently died (after a long and varied life) had specific
> > instructions about his memorial service, including "Keep it short.
> > More than 45 minutes is unnecessary and BORING!"
> >
> > None of that "Who wants to stand up and ramble on about the deceased?"
> > at his funeral.
> >

> Your friend was a person after my own heart.

For my service I'm tending towards some variation on the theme of:

"Look, we know he was an annoying and opinionated bastard, but he had
his moments. Foremost among them is that he's not allowing some unknown
cleric to spend 10 minutes balathering about the generic merits of a man
he never knew and couldn't give a toss about, and for whom the feeling
is assuredly mutual. If a cleric shows up he's offering a £10,000 bounty
to anyone who skins and salts the bastard. Save the reminiscences for
the wake, for which he's provided a ridiculous amount of funding. His
last words were 'anyone who doesn't throw up from alcoholic poisoning is
a pussy'. Take that how you will. We're going to spend the next 30
minutes listening to recordings of music he thought was seriously cool,
but anyone who tries to sing along tunelessly to the choral bits will be
beaten to death. On the other hand he approves of air guitar and
headbanging to the Death Metal, or, indeed, the choral bits. After that
he's going to be burned, buried privately or possibly eaten; but it
doesn't involve you lot. Let's just agree he was fun in his own way and
piss off. Try to believe from now on that things would have been a
little bit more fun if he'd been around. Last one to the free bar is a
bisexual."

--Nick

Michael Thomas

Oct 24, 2008, 3:48:39 PM10/24/08
Nick Fitch <viromanc...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> 'His
> last words were 'anyone who doesn't throw up from alcoholic poisoning is
> a pussy'.

IIRC, you are in a position of absolute
authority. Somebody should have captured your
shade of green for alien chick mascara after the
night of revelry that likely sent poor Howard
spinning.
--
Michael Thomas (mi...@mtcc.com http://www.mtcc.com/~mike/)

Nick Fitch

Oct 24, 2008, 4:21:41 PM10/24/08
In article <m34p31p...@fugu.mtcc.com>, mi...@mtcc.com says...

> Nick Fitch <viromanc...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> > 'His
> > last words were 'anyone who doesn't throw up from alcoholic poisoning is
> > a pussy'.
>
> IIRC, you are in a position of absolute
> authority. Somebody should have captured your
> shade of green for alien chick mascara after the
> night of revelry that likely sent poor Howard
> spinning.

I was, indeed, in a very bad way, though at least I didn't disgrace
myself in front of the impressively professional waiters...unlike *some*
ladies who will remain nameless.

I did come dangerously close to throwing up over the steering wheel
several times during the six hour drive home the next day, though.

Now *that's* the type of wake I had in mind.

--Nick, wincing.

Blunt and Opaque

Oct 24, 2008, 7:23:19 PM10/24/08
ailuropoda melanoleuca torontonensis <chris....@utoronto.ca>, in article <0167246c-9a1a-4fa5...@p59g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>, dixit:

>someone else who uses that figure of speech! I am quite prone to
>introducing double entendres into conversation with "as the actress
>said to the bishop" (or bishop-to-actress), but I don't often see
>others - especially 'murricans - using the phrase.

Pick me, pick me!

--
Piglet, as the bishop said to the actress

Ned Deily

Oct 24, 2008, 11:26:00 PM10/24/08
NickF:

>In article <m34p31p...@fugu.mtcc.com>, mi...@mtcc.com says...
>> Nick Fitch <viromanc...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>> > 'His
>> > last words were 'anyone who doesn't throw up from alcoholic poisoning is
>> > a pussy'.
>>
>> IIRC, you are in a position of absolute
>> authority. Somebody should have captured your
>> shade of green for alien chick mascara after the
>> night of revelry that likely sent poor Howard
>> spinning.
>
>I was, indeed, in a very bad way, though at least I didn't disgrace
>myself in front of the impressively professional waiters...

Andy

>unlike *some* ladies who will remain nameless.
>
>I did come dangerously close to throwing up over the steering wheel
>several times during the six hour drive home the next day, though.
>
>Now *that's* the type of wake I had in mind.

Yes, perhaps we can get a standing reservation in now for the Justin
Winery.

--
Ned Deily,
n...@visi.com -- []

Ellen Evans

Oct 25, 2008, 1:00:29 AM10/25/08
In article <MPG.236c3e987...@news.btinternet.com>,

Nick Fitch <viromanc...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <m34p31p...@fugu.mtcc.com>, mi...@mtcc.com says...
>> Nick Fitch <viromanc...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>> > 'His
>> > last words were 'anyone who doesn't throw up from alcoholic poisoning is
>> > a pussy'.
>>
>> IIRC, you are in a position of absolute
>> authority. Somebody should have captured your
>> shade of green for alien chick mascara after the
>> night of revelry that likely sent poor Howard
>> spinning.
>
>I was, indeed, in a very bad way, though at least I didn't disgrace
>myself in front of the impressively professional waiters...unlike *some*
>ladies who will remain nameless.

Piffle.

Ellen Evans If my life wasn't funny, it would
je...@panix.com just be true, and that's unacceptable.
Carrie Fisher

Dennis Lewis

Oct 25, 2008, 5:05:07 PM10/25/08
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:45:49 -0700, Jack Hamilton wrote:

>A friend who recently died (after a long and varied life) had specific
>instructions about his memorial service, including "Keep it short.
>More than 45 minutes is unnecessary and BORING!"
>
>None of that "Who wants to stand up and ramble on about the deceased?"
>at his funeral.

I've thought it might be interesting to do one of those "if anyone
shows up, they get my estate" affairs.

Then it'd probably rain that day, and some poor schmuck would be in
for a surprise when he ducked in to get out of the weather.

"Lucky you -- you get his framed autographed photo of David Alan
Basche ... all these books by Hans Holzer, most of them out of print
now ... the complete DVD collection of "Chuck," some TV show from the
early part of this century ... and his porn collection."

Dennis Lewis

Oct 25, 2008, 5:11:22 PM10/25/08
Our resident panda wrote:

>... I am quite prone to

>introducing double entendres into conversation with "as the actress
>said to the bishop" (or bishop-to-actress) ...

Er ... how is that a double entendre?

Is there some risque joke associated with the name of this
establishment that I'd miss during a pub crawl in Birmingham?
<http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/26/26451/Actress_and_Bishop/Birmingham>

David W. Fenton

Oct 25, 2008, 5:17:59 PM10/25/08
ailuropoda melanoleuca torontonensis <chris....@utoronto.ca>
wrote in
m:

>> > [mikey]
>> > Gurl, if I only got paid for this shit like I used to.
>> [david]
>> ...said the actress to the Bishop.
>
> finally!
>
> someone else who uses that figure of speech!

I got it from my friend, A., who is British by birth. He never knew
where it came from. do you?

> I am quite prone to
> introducing double entendres into conversation with "as the
> actress said to the bishop" (or bishop-to-actress), but I don't
> often see others - especially 'murricans - using the phrase.

Well, it's not native for me.

David W. Fenton

Oct 25, 2008, 5:20:41 PM10/25/08
d...@sprynet.com (Dennis Lewis) wrote in

> Our resident panda wrote:
>>
>>... I am quite prone to
>>introducing double entendres into conversation with "as the
>>actress said to the bishop" (or bishop-to-actress) ...
>
> Er ... how is that a double entendre?

The appending of the phrase onto an innocent expression can convert
it into something else, as was the intention when I appended it to
MissKinley's:

>> Gurl, if I only got
>> paid for this shit like I used to.
>

>...said the actress to the Bishop.

Thus converting the comment into a reference to prostition (well,
*former* prostitution).

David W. Fenton

Oct 25, 2008, 5:22:05 PM10/25/08
Jack Hamilton <j...@acm.org> wrote in

> A friend who recently died (after a long and varied life) had
> specific instructions about his memorial service, including "Keep
> it short. More than 45 minutes is unnecessary and BORING!"

My father asked the new pastor of the family church to keep the
funeral short for his mother. It was -- I think he spoke for a grand
total of 3 minutes (so it was reported -- I was unable to get back
for the funeral since I was in the middle of final exams at NYU).
The next family funeral they asked the minister to speak a bit
longer.

Jed Davis

Oct 25, 2008, 5:38:15 PM10/25/08
"David W. Fenton" <XXXu...@dfenton.com.invalid> writes:

> "mp...@mail.utexas.edu" <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
>> Gurl, if I only got
>> paid for this shit like I used to.
>
> ...said the actress to the Bishop.

...in bed.

[Or: "...said the bishop to the actress, while covered in bees."]
--
(let ((C call-with-current-continuation)) (apply (lambda (x y) (x y)) (map
((lambda (r) ((C C) (lambda (s) (r (lambda l (apply (s s) l)))))) (lambda

Michael Palmer

Oct 26, 2008, 9:54:59 PM10/26/08

Dennis, dear, please do the poor, overworked archivist at your local
GLBT archives a favor, and instruct your executor to destroy the porn.
Unless it's pre-1970 or Lesbian-produced. The rest of it we already
have.

MP, who'd much rather have your reminiscences of life growing up gay
in Ferdinand, Indiana, in the early 1940s, the minutes you took as
secretary of the local Mattachine society cell in the early 1950s, the
letters you wrote as a member of the GLF in SF in the 1960s, documents
recording your activities as a lesbian feminist in New York in the
1970s, the banners you carried at ACT UP demonstrations in LA in the
1980s, etc, etc. And, oh, photos of any cute boys or girls you took
at any gay pride march in the last 35+ years (and darlings, I KNOW you
have them).
--
Michael Palmer
Claremont, California

David W. Fenton

Oct 26, 2008, 10:08:39 PM10/26/08
Jed Davis <jd...@panix.com> wrote in

> "David W. Fenton" <XXXu...@dfenton.com.invalid> writes:
>
>> "mp...@mail.utexas.edu" <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Gurl, if I only got
>>> paid for this shit like I used to.
>>
>> ...said the actress to the Bishop.
>
> ...in bed.

,,,under the sheets.

David W. Fenton

Oct 26, 2008, 10:09:56 PM10/26/08
mpa...@panix.com (Michael Palmer) wrote in

> MP, who'd much rather have your reminiscences of life growing up
> gay in Ferdinand, Indiana, in the early 1940s, the minutes you
> took as secretary of the local Mattachine society cell in the
> early 1950s, the letters you wrote as a member of the GLF in SF in
> the 1960s, documents recording your activities as a lesbian
> feminist in New York in the 1970s, the banners you carried at ACT
> UP demonstrations in LA in the 1980s, etc, etc. And, oh, photos
> of any cute boys or girls you took at any gay pride march in the
> last 35+ years (and darlings, I KNOW you have them).

Aren't you exhibiting a bit of a prejudice against the kind of
ephemera that seems of little value when it's still recent, but
tells so much when seen with a bit of distance?

David W. Fenton

Oct 26, 2008, 10:12:38 PM10/26/08
"David W. Fenton" <XXXu...@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in

> I got it from my friend, A., who is British by birth. He never
> knew where it came from. do you?

I had dinner at A.'s last night and asked him about it. He had no
idea whatsoever where it came from. I suggested it was perhaps an
expression he'd picked up from his father (he has a number of
those), but he said that wasn't the case. I also suggested old-time
radio origins, and he thought that sounded credible.

Jess Anderson

Oct 26, 2008, 11:29:44 PM10/26/08

OT: Frank Maloney is back

David Fenton:

> [] an expression he'd picked up from his father (he has a
> number of those), []

I thought one was all we got.

--
[] By necessity, by proclivity, and by delight, we all quote.
[] In fact, it is as difficult to appropriate the thoughts of
[] Copyright 2008 Jess Anderson [] www.jessanderson.org
[] Soc.Motss FAQ: www.soc-motss.org/doc/faq/faq_intro.html

Hypodeemic Nerdle

Oct 26, 2008, 11:34:47 PM10/26/08
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:54:59 GMT, mpa...@panix.com (Michael Palmer)
wrote this:

>Dennis, dear, please do the poor, overworked archivist at your local
>GLBT archives a favor, and instruct your executor to destroy the porn.

BOOOOOOOOOOOhisssssssssssss.

--
Grk.

Michael Palmer

Oct 26, 2008, 11:56:02 PM10/26/08
On 27 Oct 2008 02:09:56 GMT, in soc.motss, "David W. Fenton"
<XXXu...@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

>mpa...@panix.com (Michael Palmer) wrote in
>
>> MP, who'd much rather have your reminiscences of life growing up
>> gay in Ferdinand, Indiana, in the early 1940s, the minutes you
>> took as secretary of the local Mattachine society cell in the
>> early 1950s, the letters you wrote as a member of the GLF in SF in
>> the 1960s, documents recording your activities as a lesbian
>> feminist in New York in the 1970s, the banners you carried at ACT
>> UP demonstrations in LA in the 1980s, etc, etc. And, oh, photos
>> of any cute boys or girls you took at any gay pride march in the
>> last 35+ years (and darlings, I KNOW you have them).
>
>Aren't you exhibiting a bit of a prejudice against the kind of
>ephemera that seems of little value when it's still recent, but
>tells so much when seen with a bit of distance?

Quite the contrary. The overwhelming bulk of our collections (and
indeed of the collections of any social movement archive) consists of
precisely this sort of material. And not just "old stuff" either:
we're negotiating with the Noon8 campaign office in WeHo to take all
their materials as soon as they finish the legal niceties after the
November 4th election. But a great many donors can't distinguish
between the historically valuable and the irrelevant in their
collections. The examples I gave are of materials recent donors have
told me they threw out as "worthless", while carefully saving every
issue of Advocate Men, Freshmen, and the like. And if donors don't
recognize the value of Mattachine society minutes--which all but
scream "I'm rilly, rilly historically important, save me"--they're
highly unlikely to save more mundane-appearing materials like posters
and flyers. It's a constant struggle to keep (potential) donors from
throwing out the baby and presenting us (occasionally with great
fanfare) the bath water.

And in the event it wasn't obvious--moi? subtle?--the reference to
cute boys and girls at gay pride marches was a JOKE: when one deals
with as much, erm, erotica as my colleagues and I do, a little amateur
eye candy is a pleasant diversion.

Michael Palmer

Oct 27, 2008, 12:10:35 AM10/27/08

On the other hand, if you were to give Dennis and/or his executor your
mailing address and your international shipping company account number

Michael Palmer

Oct 27, 2008, 12:21:37 AM10/27/08
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 22:29:44 -0500, in soc.motss, Jess Anderson
<ande...@wisc.edu> wrote:

>OT: Frank Maloney is back
>
>David Fenton:
>

> > [] an expression he'd picked up from his father (he has a
> > number of those), []
>
>I thought one was all we got.

Those of us who are adopted have two, as do the children of male
same-sex couples. And for those whose original parental units
separate and take up with others, the number of fathers is potentially
much larger.

Robert S. Coren

Oct 27, 2008, 11:16:32 AM10/27/08
In article <Xns9B42AFFBCE466f9...@74.209.136.91>,

David W. Fenton <XXXu...@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:
>ailuropoda melanoleuca torontonensis <chris....@utoronto.ca>
>wrote in
>m:

>>> [david]
>>> ...said the actress to the Bishop.
>>
>> finally!
>>
>> someone else who uses that figure of speech!
>
>I got it from my friend, A., who is British by birth. He never knew
>where it came from. do you?
>
>> I am quite prone to
>> introducing double entendres into conversation with "as the
>> actress said to the bishop" (or bishop-to-actress), but I don't
>> often see others - especially 'murricans - using the phrase.
>
>Well, it's not native for me.

I had a friend many decades ago who used to use it similarly. Come to
think of it, he, too, was English.
--
---Robert Coren (co...@panix.com)------------------------------------
"The optative passive rocks!" --Jeffrey William McKeough

Message has been deleted

Jed Davis

Oct 27, 2008, 12:10:20 PM10/27/08
Hypodeemic Nerdle <g...@ku.gro.assednacni> writes:

Indeed. The porn should be donated to an appropriate charity so it can
reach those in need.

Ned Deily

Oct 27, 2008, 1:08:54 PM10/27/08
JedD:

>Hypodeemic Nerdle <g...@ku.gro.assednacni> writes:
>> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:54:59 GMT, mpa...@panix.com (Michael Palmer)
>> wrote this:
>>>Dennis, dear, please do the poor, overworked archivist at your local
>>>GLBT archives a favor, and instruct your executor to destroy the porn.
>> BOOOOOOOOOOOhisssssssssssss.
>Indeed. The porn should be donated to an appropriate charity so it can
>reach those in need.

Are you also in line for the $75000 Neiman-Marcus purchases??

ailuropoda melanoleuca torontonensis

Oct 27, 2008, 3:27:02 PM10/27/08
> >> [david]
> >> ...said the actress to the Bishop.
> >[moi]

> > finally! someone else who uses that figure of speech!
> [david again]

> I got it from my friend, A., who is British by birth. He never knew
> where it came from. do you?

it's certainly reasonably familiar in the UK. I learn from Wikipedia
(first thing that Google(tm) kicked up) that it's certainly 70yr old,
possibly going back to Edwardian times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Said_the_actress_to_the_bishop

though the same article (started 2006) points out that it's not very
current in the US, with a parallel construction ["that's what SHE
said"] existing, but not as common.

I'm reminded of a cartoon - in *Punch*, so it's a couple of decades
now - of a mixed-gender couple at a cocktail party, the man saying to
the woman, "Funny, you'd think that we would have something to say to
each other, you being an actress and me being a bishop".

> > I am quite prone to
> > introducing double entendres into conversation with "as the
> > actress said to the bishop" (or bishop-to-actress), but I don't
> > often see others - especially 'murricans - using the phrase.
>
> Well, it's not native for me.

hey, "kitty-corner" isn't native to yr UK born panda either, but I
still use it.

I know several bishops, and I've asked them what it IS that they say
to actresses, but the most I ever got in response was "it would not be
gentlemanly to tell you that".

chemist by day, panda by night
neither bishop nor actress

David W. Fenton

Oct 27, 2008, 3:29:55 PM10/27/08

> On 27 Oct 2008 02:09:56 GMT, in soc.motss, "David W. Fenton"
><XXXu...@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>mpa...@panix.com (Michael Palmer) wrote in
>>
>>> MP, who'd much rather have your reminiscences of life growing up
>>> gay in Ferdinand, Indiana, in the early 1940s, the minutes you
>>> took as secretary of the local Mattachine society cell in the
>>> early 1950s, the letters you wrote as a member of the GLF in SF
>>> in the 1960s, documents recording your activities as a lesbian
>>> feminist in New York in the 1970s, the banners you carried at
>>> ACT UP demonstrations in LA in the 1980s, etc, etc. And, oh,
>>> photos of any cute boys or girls you took at any gay pride march
>>> in the last 35+ years (and darlings, I KNOW you have them).
>>
>>Aren't you exhibiting a bit of a prejudice against the kind of
>>ephemera that seems of little value when it's still recent, but
>>tells so much when seen with a bit of distance?
>
> Quite the contrary. The overwhelming bulk of our collections (and
> indeed of the collections of any social movement archive) consists
> of precisely this sort of material. And not just "old stuff"
> either: we're negotiating with the Noon8 campaign office in WeHo
> to take all their materials as soon as they finish the legal
> niceties after the November 4th election. But a great many donors
> can't distinguish between the historically valuable and the
> irrelevant in their collections.

Er, my point is that NEITHER CAN YOU.

Seriously.

If history tells us anything it's that what seems telling to
contemporaries is often less interesting than what was commonplace.

I know you have limited space and all that, but I'm a little
surprised at your attitude, at least as I'm reading it from what
you're posting here.

> The examples I gave are of materials recent donors have
> told me they threw out as "worthless", while carefully saving
> every issue of Advocate Men, Freshmen, and the like. And if
> donors don't recognize the value of Mattachine society
> minutes--which all but scream "I'm rilly, rilly historically
> important, save me"--they're highly unlikely to save more
> mundane-appearing materials like posters and flyers. It's a
> constant struggle to keep (potential) donors from throwing out the
> baby and presenting us (occasionally with great fanfare) the bath
> water.

Well, I'm assuming starting from a pile of EVERYTHING, not a
preselected cache of materials. Sure, if your donors are
prescreening all the things that are clear primary historical
documents and keeping *only* the ephemera, that's a problem.

> And in the event it wasn't obvious--moi? subtle?--the reference to
> cute boys and girls at gay pride marches was a JOKE: when one
> deals with as much, erm, erotica as my colleagues and I do, a
> little amateur eye candy is a pleasant diversion.

I actually could have cut out that part, since I was meaning my
response as a rejoinder to that at all.

mp...@mail.utexas.edu

Oct 27, 2008, 3:36:51 PM10/27/08
On Oct 25, 4:20 pm, "David W. Fenton" <XXXuse...@dfenton.com.invalid>
wrote:
> d...@sprynet.com (Dennis Lewis) wrote innews:49038a21...@news.west.earthlink.net:

> > Our resident panda wrote:
>
> >>...  I am quite prone to
> >>introducing double entendres into conversation with "as the
> >>actress said to the bishop" (or bishop-to-actress) ...
>
> > Er ... how is that a double entendre?
>
> The appending of the phrase onto an innocent expression can convert
> it into something else, as was the intention when I appended it to
> MissKinley's:
>
> >> Gurl, if I only got
> >> paid for this shit like I used to.
>
> >...said the actress to the Bishop.
>
> Thus converting the comment into a reference to prostition (well,
> *former* prostitution).

I'm still a whore, darling. Just not very busy and not charging.
But, though I tend to be a repository (settle down) for verbal trivia
of all sorts, I've never heard the actres to bishop bit.

Jed Davis

Oct 27, 2008, 4:51:12 PM10/27/08
Ned Deily <n...@visi.com> writes:

> JedD:
>> Hypodeemic Nerdle <g...@ku.gro.assednacni> writes:

>>> BOOOOOOOOOOOhisssssssssssss.
>> Indeed. The porn should be donated to an appropriate charity so it can
>> reach those in need.
>
> Are you also in line for the $75000 Neiman-Marcus purchases??

No; nor does the subject of http://www.valhenson.org/kitchen.html have
anything to do with this, speaking of N-M and five figure prices.

Anyway, I didn't mean the porn was for me; I'm a sovereign pr0n-user,
and for that matter I have the Internet. No, I refer to those who are
truly disadvantaged in access to prurient materials.

Or something like that.

--
"When I was one of the devil's lesbians, my headmistress Countess Clitoria
would reward me with hot tubs and vacations to Spain and Greece. I'm sorry

Robert Marshall

Oct 27, 2008, 4:47:35 PM10/27/08
On 27 Oct 2008, David W. Fenton wrote:

> "David W. Fenton" <XXXu...@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in
>
>> I got it from my friend, A., who is British by birth. He never
>> knew where it came from. do you?
>
> I had dinner at A.'s last night and asked him about it. He had no
> idea whatsoever where it came from. I suggested it was perhaps an
> expression he'd picked up from his father (he has a number of
> those), but he said that wasn't the case. I also suggested old-time
> radio origins, and he thought that sounded credible.

The Wikipedia page suggests Leslie Charteris and The Saint as at least
a populariser of the phrase. I wasn't aware it was such an English coinage

And as the clocks have changed I can borrow the Alan Garner version

The nights are drawing in
As Thomas a Beckett said to the actress

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son chāteau d'eau
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/

Robert S. Coren

Oct 27, 2008, 5:47:58 PM10/27/08
In article <ge4n1m$3gs$1...@reader1.panix.com>, Bitty <bi...@spamsong.com> wrote:

>Instead of reading a good book, David W. Fenton <XXXu...@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Thus converting the comment into a reference to prostition (well,
>> *former* prostitution).
>
> See, all *I* get is an earworm for All Along the Watchtower,

What? It doesn't even scan the same.
--
---Robert Coren (co...@panix.com)------------------------------------
"I once had a very surreal Marengo with Derik."

Blunt and Opaque

Oct 27, 2008, 6:14:53 PM10/27/08
robert$spam0104$@chezmarshall.freeserve.co.uk, in article <m1fxmhp...@chezmarshall.freeserve.co.uk>, dixit:

>The Wikipedia page suggests Leslie Charteris and The Saint as at least
>a populariser of the phrase. I wasn't aware it was such an English coinage

I would have said P.G. Wodehouse, myself.

--
Piglet

Rod Williams

Oct 28, 2008, 12:54:56 AM10/28/08
David W. Fenton (on "as the actress said to the bishop"):

> > I got it from my friend, A., who is British by birth. He never
> > knew where it came from. do you?
>
> I had dinner at A.'s last night and asked him about it. He had no
> idea whatsoever where it came from. I suggested it was perhaps an
> expression he'd picked up from his father (he has a number of
> those), but he said that wasn't the case. I also suggested old-time
> radio origins, and he thought that sounded credible.

I'd be willing to bet it comes from the British music-hall days
(equivalent of vaudeville, or burlesque shows in the US) of the late
19th - early 20th century, if not earlier. All of that nod-nod-wink-
wink Brit comedy comes from there, thru Benny Hill, Morecambe & Wise,
Bruce Forsyth, Monty Python, The Two Ronnies, French & Saunders, and
all of their wannabes.

Michael Palmer

Oct 28, 2008, 1:52:28 AM10/28/08
On 27 Oct 2008 19:29:55 GMT, in soc.motss, "David W. Fenton"
<XXXu...@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

Oh David, I just love it when clueless people tell me how to do my
job! But it's impolite to jump to the head of the queue: the end of
the line is over ------------------------------------------> there.

>> The examples I gave are of materials recent donors have
>> told me they threw out as "worthless", while carefully saving
>> every issue of Advocate Men, Freshmen, and the like. And if
>> donors don't recognize the value of Mattachine society
>> minutes--which all but scream "I'm rilly, rilly historically
>> important, save me"--they're highly unlikely to save more
>> mundane-appearing materials like posters and flyers. It's a
>> constant struggle to keep (potential) donors from throwing out the
>> baby and presenting us (occasionally with great fanfare) the bath
>> water.
>
>Well, I'm assuming starting from a pile of EVERYTHING, not a
>preselected cache of materials. Sure, if your donors are
>prescreening all the things that are clear primary historical
>documents and keeping *only* the ephemera, that's a problem.

There is no such thing as a "pile of EVERYTHING", in particular where
the records of marginalized populations are concerned. EVERYTHING is
prescreened. Most gays and lesbians who came of age prior to the Gay
Liberation Movement of the late 1960s--that is, in the era when being
identified has gay or lesbian usually had very real and very negative
consequences--either hid the materials documenting their GLBT identity
or destroyed them (indeed, some never retained them at all). To this
day, many GLBT from this generation continue to eradicate all traces
of their gay and lesbian past. And when they do keep material, it's
of the impersonal kind. Just this morning, an elderly man dropped by
the archive and gave us his "treasure". He was a white man whose
long-time lover was African American. Such doubly marginalized
couples are extremely difficult to document, and I was hoping for
personal photos, home movies/videos/audio tapes, correspondence,
memorabilia, materials from the local chapter of Black & White Men
Together, anything to shed light on their experience as a gay
interracial couple. What I got instead was a stack of carefully
preserved issues of the Advocate, Freshmen, Mandate, and a few one-off
publications by Sierra Domino, all of which we already have.

JTEM

Oct 28, 2008, 7:28:04 AM10/28/08
"mp...@mail.utexas.edu" <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> I'm still a whore, darling.  Just not very busy and not
> charging.

Are you giving away toasters yet?

mp...@mail.utexas.edu

Oct 28, 2008, 3:54:25 PM10/28/08
wrote:
> d...@sprynet.com (Dennis Lewis) wrote innews:49038a21...@news.west.earthlink.net:
>
> > Our resident panda wrote:
>
> >>...  I am quite prone to
> >>introducing double entendres into conversation with "as the
> >>actress said to the bishop" (or bishop-to-actress) ...
>
> > Er ... how is that a double entendre?
>
> The appending of the phrase onto an innocent expression can convert
> it into something else, as was the intention when I appended it to
> MissKinley's:
>
> >> Gurl, if I only got
> >> paid for this shit like I used to.
>
> >...said the actress to the Bishop.
>
> Thus converting the comment into a reference to prostition (well,
> *former* prostitution).

But that was many years ago, and in another country...

mp...@mail.utexas.edu

Oct 28, 2008, 4:00:38 PM10/28/08
On Oct 27, 11:54 pm, Rod Williams <rjwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be willing to bet it comes from the British music-hall days
> (equivalent of vaudeville, or burlesque shows in the US) of the late
> 19th - early 20th century, if not earlier.  All of that nod-nod-wink-
> wink Brit comedy comes from there, thru Benny Hill, Morecambe & Wise,
> Bruce Forsyth, Monty Python, The Two Ronnies, French & Saunders, and
> all of their wannabes.

I hate to admit that I've become the Benny Hill of classical dance.

Tim McDaniel

Oct 28, 2008, 4:27:57 PM10/28/08
In article <4181d1c3-451a-4988...@p10g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

mp...@mail.utexas.edu <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>But that was many years ago, and in another country...

The other night, I caught the end of _The Private Lives of Elizabeth
[Tudor] and Essex_, and thought of Miss mpmck when Bette Davis said

I am old, but I am a queen.

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com

ailuropoda melanoleuca torontonensis

Oct 28, 2008, 5:58:37 PM10/28/08
> > [david]

> > Thus converting the comment into a reference to prostition (well,
> > *former* prostitution).
> [mikey]

> But that was many years ago, and in another country...

another dead wench!

manly then you have committed fornication panda

ailuropoda melanoleuca torontonensis

Oct 28, 2008, 6:00:18 PM10/28/08
> [our ballerina]

> I hate to admit that I've become the Benny Hill of classicaldance.

Piffle.

So, tell all ... how WAS "Dance 10, Looks 3"

manly tits and ass panda

Dennis Lewis

Oct 28, 2008, 7:28:47 PM10/28/08
Our panda directed me toward the helpful:

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Said_the_actress_to_the_bishop

Oh, now I see ... "the actress to the bishop" *isn't* the double
entendre but follows it for emphasis. That makes sense. Ha ha ... ha
ha ha.

David W. Fenton

Oct 28, 2008, 7:43:59 PM10/28/08
ailuropoda melanoleuca torontonensis <chris....@utoronto.ca>
wrote in
m:

> I know several bishops, and I've asked them what it IS that they
> say to actresses, but the most I ever got in response was "it
> would not be gentlemanly to tell you that".

But isn't it always the *actress* doing all the talking?

David W. Fenton

Oct 28, 2008, 7:44:47 PM10/28/08

> Oh David, I just love it when clueless people tell me how to do my
> job!

Well, given how I have absolutely no background in evaluating
historical documents, I guess you're right.

Dennis Lewis

Oct 28, 2008, 7:48:11 PM10/28/08
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 05:52:28 GMT, Michael Palmer wrote:

>... Just this morning, an elderly man dropped by

>the archive and gave us his "treasure". He was a white man whose
>long-time lover was African American. Such doubly marginalized
>couples are extremely difficult to document, and I was hoping for
>personal photos, home movies/videos/audio tapes, correspondence,
>... What I got instead was a stack of carefully
>preserved issues of the Advocate, Freshmen, Mandate ...

Wow -- I've kept all the porn I accumulated during the 1980s, but none
of the flyers or handouts from any Southeastern Conference(s) of
Lesbian and Gay Men I attended. And when I lived in Western Kentucky,
I attended one of the first, held at the flagship Holiday Inn in
Memphis and with Leonard Matlovich as keynote speaker.

I have a box containing several issues of the local monthly
gay/lesbian newspaper I helped edit in the late 1990s. I'd only kept
them because of the amount of time I and the other volunteers had
spent on getting 'em to the printer each month. More than once I've
been tempted to just chuck 'em in the trash, and the only reason I
didn't was because recycling them would be more environmentally
friendly.

Dennis Lewis

Oct 28, 2008, 8:12:39 PM10/28/08
On 27 Oct 2008 02:09:56 GMT, David W. Fenton wrote:

>Aren't you exhibiting a bit of a prejudice against the kind of
>ephemera that seems of little value when it's still recent, but
>tells so much when seen with a bit of distance?

You know what I'm now beginning to wish I'd kept -- AAA Tour Books
from the 1960s and 1970s. Of course, at the time we thought why keep
them after they're out of date? They're just taking up space.

But now I think it'd be fun to look back at what were considered the
high-end/low-end hotels in D.C. and NYC 40 years ago -- where they
were located, what amenities they offered, how much the rooms went for
and what does that equal in today's dollars. Plus, the progress of
lodging amenities in general -- from a special Tour Book symbol to
designate in-room TV to a symbol indicating that the TV was a color
set to a symbol indicating Cable TV, to the present day where color
cable or satellite TV is understood unless there's a symbol in the
guide indicating otherwise.

And some of the hotels I vaguely remember from childhood -- had AAA
given them even one diamond. I somewhat recall one business trip my
parents took to Charlotte in the early 1960s, staying in a downtown
hotel named either the Queen Charlotte or the Hotel Charlotte. The
hotel didn't have self-service elevators -- the elevator operator
closed the gate and took you up (or down) to your floor.

A couple of years later we stayed at the White House Hotel, which I
thought was a name more appropriate for a hotel in D.C. than
Charlotte. It had self-serve elevators, but I don't think it had
in-room TVs. I remember being excited about spending the night in a
hotel in Charlotte because I'd be able to watch CBS programs like "The
Munsters" and "Gilligan's Island" on Channel 3, which we couldn't pick
up at home. (The antenna on our chimney only picked up Charlotte's
Channel 9, which was both NBC and ABC then.) So I remember being quite
disappointed that the hotel didn't have in-room TVs. ([Bette Davis]
"What a dump!" [/Bette Davis]) There *was* a "communal TV" in the
lobby, but I think it was tuned to ... Channel 9.

ailuropoda melanoleuca torontonensis

Oct 28, 2008, 9:10:41 PM10/28/08
> > [moi]

> > I know several bishops, and I've asked them what it IS that they
> > say to actresses, but the most I ever got in response was "it
> > would not be gentlemanly to tell you that".
> [david]

> But isn't it always the *actress* doing all the talking?

not always. sometimes the innuendo works better if it's "as the
bishop said to the actress" Feel free to improvise!

chemist by day, panda by night

except that I'm still at my office desk doing chemist-type things and
it's way past dark

Rod Williams

Oct 28, 2008, 11:06:40 PM10/28/08
Trawna Panda signs off:

> chemist by day, panda by night
> except that I'm still at my office desk doing chemist-type things and
> it's way past dark

... as Dr. F. said to Igor, disjointedly.

Kathryn

Oct 29, 2008, 12:58:20 AM10/29/08
What I first thought Nick Fitch wrote:

> Try to believe from now on that things would have been a
> little bit more fun if he'd been bisexual."

Kathryn

Oct 29, 2008, 1:09:56 AM10/29/08
On Oct 26, 8:56 pm, mpal...@panix.com (Michael Palmer) wrote:

> And if donors don't recognize the value of Mattachine society minutes
> --which all but scream "I'm rilly, rilly historically important, save me"
> --they're highly unlikely to save more mundane-appearing materials like
> posters and flyers.

You want one of the postcard flyers I spent the day putting up for the
Portland premiere of MILK? I can also send one of the sponsor packets.
Gimme an address

It is loading more messages.