thoughts after the .con

1 view

Michael Nieuwenhuizen

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

Ilona Koren-Deutsch wrote:

> My favourite greeting:

My favorite: "Could I rim you?" ... oh no, that was on another trip
to Chicago....

> My favourite comment about me:

Uh.... I don't know, really.

> The best surprise:

I never knew Clay was this gorgeous...

> Most outrageous thing I did:

1) Wear a rubber shirt.
2) Buy *nothing* during a shopping trip on Michigan Avenue.

> Other random observations:

1) Again the only Europeans at the Con were Dutch (not counting
ex-pat Englishmen)
2) meeting a very handsome Canadian guy during my stop at Amsterdam
Airport...
3) Leith is really my sister
4) Uh..... I'm really tired now, so I can't think of any others...

> Ilona, who may well post more later

Mik, who may write more when he's awake

Steven Levine

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

In article <4p1s7u$9...@xochi.tezcat.com>,
Ilona Koren-Deutsch <se...@tezcat.com> wrote:

>My favourite comment about me:

>Steven Levine telling me it was fun to meet me because I'm much meaner in
>person than I am on soc.motss.

My favourite comment about Ilona:
"I saw this woman and I thought, 'That woman
is BEAUTIFUL!' and then I saw this woman on her arms
and I thought, 'That woman is TAKEN!'"
-My host Lisa G.

My favorite gaze directed at me:
The intense bemused appraising look Steve "Tennessee Tuxedo"
Giammarco bestowed upon me for what seemed like hours as he
tried to figure out what cartoon character's voice mine reminded
him of so strongly.

My favorite mean thing Ilona did:
Telling me that she had attributed a particular brilliant
(though mean) comment of hers to me because "everybody likes
you" and therefore I wouldn't get in as much trouble for
being associated with the comment as she would. What's
so wonderfully mean about this is that it makes me feel
flattered rather than annoyed. "Damn," I thought, "this
gal is GOOD!"

>My favourite greeting:
>"<sniffs> Issey Miyake! You *must* be Ilona." -FJ!!

My favourite greeting:
Kenji coming down to the hotel lobby Sunday night, dressed
for two-stepping in jeans and a tight ribbed sleeveless t-shirt,
walking up to me and holding out his arms in ballroom follow
position for a quick spin around the room.

>The best surprise:
>Michaeltje's turning up after all, of course.

The best surprise:
I wasn't so outside the fuckfestesque aspects of the
con after all.

>Other random observations:
>1) Dutch boys are cute.

Oh, there was that moment in the lobby when FJ!! and Pieter
began to speak in that *language*, and at one point they
called something over to Marina. Oooh, it just gave us
all shivers. I understand Ilona and Morph tried to
achieve the same results with Hebrew in a loud crowded
bar at one point, but the setting just wasn't right.

>4) Ann B is rather less wholesome than she pretends to be.

What is the opposite of wholesome? Unhealthy? Salacious?
Perverse? Whatever it is, Ann B. is impeccably so.

>5) Steven Levine has fabulous taste in ties.

Nothing compared to Ilona's understanding of the language
of clothing. Her Seventeen Magazine covergirl outfit
(circa 1975) turns out to have been her deconstruction
of "Easter outfit". Say, Ilona, did you have anything to
do with Derik's Judy-Carne-circa-1967 getup at Monday's
breakfast?

>10) Season and I are not cute.

You know, if you're serious about this, perhaps the two of
you should avoid standing on either side of approaching-forty
eccentric chubby men and simultaneously kissing those
men on each cheek. Or that man, anyway. It was a cute
moment for the cute yearbook of the Cute Society of America
if ever there was one.

>Ilona, who may well post more later

And so you have. And we want more.

-Steven Levine
ste...@cray.com

John*G*

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

In article <31B54F...@cern.ch>,
Michael Nieuwenhuizen <Michael.Ni...@cern.ch> wrote:

>Ilona Koren-Deutsch wrote:
>> The best surprise:
>
>I never knew Clay was this gorgeous...

*suspicious look*

>> Most outrageous thing I did:
>
>1) Wear a rubber shirt.

*yawn*

>2) Buy *nothing* during a shopping trip on Michigan Avenue.

*pass out*

Lacking my influence sweddie....?

>> Other random observations:
>
>1) Again the only Europeans at the Con were Dutch (not counting
> ex-pat Englishmen)

SHUT UP!!!!

>2) meeting a very handsome Canadian guy during my stop at Amsterdam
> Airport...

..

>Mik, who may write more when he's awake

E-mail = ecl...@leeds.ac.uk
Bouncy Blue-eyed Brunette Bitch-Boy-Babe -Get it.
Devil/Angel. Fallen from grace & bathing in flames

The attached material has been sent without the knowledge of Leeds
University.The statements contained in my material are entirely my
opinions and I personally accept all responsibility for any liability
that may arise from my material.

Michael Nieuwenhuizen

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96
to John*G*

John*G* wrote:
> Michael Nieuwenhuizen <Michael.Ni...@cern.ch> wrote:
>> Ilona Koren-Deutsch wrote:
>>> The best surprise:
>> I never knew Clay was this gorgeous...
> *suspicious look*

*giggle* ... So was that shag last week skinnier than me?

>>> Most outrageous thing I did:
>> 1) Wear a rubber shirt.
> *yawn*

It might be *yawn* in London or Amsterdam, but definitely
not in the USA, especially the midwest (*)

>> 2) Buy *nothing* during a shopping trip on Michigan Avenue.
> *pass out*
> Lacking my influence sweddie....?

No, all the things I wanted were in American sizes: too big (...)

Mikkie, glad to hear that John has taken up a second job to
save money for the next con

(*) Why is Chicago in the "Midwest"? Looking at the map
of the USA it looks more like the Mideast.

John*G*

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

Mikje wrote:-

> John*G* wrote:
> > Michael Nieuwenhuizen <Michael.Ni...@cern.ch> wrote:
> >> I never knew Clay was this gorgeous...
> > *suspicious look*
>
> *giggle* ... So was that shag last week skinnier than me?

*pout*

And yes, hard to beleive as it is sweddie....

> >> 1) Wear a rubber shirt.
> > *yawn*
>
> It might be *yawn* in London or Amsterdam, but definitely
> not in the USA, especially the midwest (*)

Really, i thougth it was kinda cool in Chicago...

> >> 2) Buy *nothing* during a shopping trip on Michigan Avenue.
> > *pass out*
> > Lacking my influence sweddie....?
>
> No, all the things I wanted were in American sizes: too big (...)

*cough*splutter*

You can't say that here....

> Mikkie, glad to hear that John has taken up a second job to
> save money for the next con

Ssshhhhh!!

-John*G*

peg boucher murphy

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

In article <4p1s7u$9...@xochi.tezcat.com>,
Ilona Koren-Deutsch <se...@tezcat.com> wrote:
>My favourite comment about me:
>Steven Levine telling me it was fun to meet me because I'm much meaner in
>person than I am on soc.motss.

heh.
but wasn't that part of the "i'm not nice, i'm *mean*" conversation
thread from steven?
that calls *everything* he said into serious contention.

even if he is right.

>Other random observations:
>1) Dutch boys are cute.

yes.

>4) Ann B is rather less wholesome than she pretends to be.

does ann pretend to be wholesome? how have i missed this?

>5) Steven Levine has fabulous taste in ties.

works without the last two words, too.

>7) Watch out for Natalie Boucher-Murphy... (Hi! Are you reading yet?)

nope, but she will. <grin> we are developing kill files to make
it possible, timewise...

>8) Vadim is adorable when he blushes.

and when he pinches cheeks.

>9) It may seem impossible, but Arnold is even *more* wonderful in person
>than he is online.

yes. this is true of several other motssers, too.

>10) Season and I are not cute.

sure sure.
natalie has pronounced you so, and you already declared her the
arbiter.

so there. :)

peg
-who points out that sim and michael were cute too, but not in exactly
the same way...

Steven Levine

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

In article <31B69...@cern.ch>,
Michael Nieuwenhuizen-Koren-Deutsch <Michael.Ni...@cern.ch> wrote:

>(*) Why is Chicago in the "Midwest"? Looking at the map
> of the USA it looks more like the Mideast.

You've got to consider it historically, not geographically.
What was considered "The West" changed over time -- and over
a time not too long ago. I used to own a children's
book from (I think) the 1860s called "Dolly Dimple Out
West" (from that famous Dolly Dimple series), and "Out
West" meant "Indiana". My guess is that the sense of
what the western United States was changed in the public
consciousness, but you can't just change "the west" to
"the east-central" -- it becomes, instead, the "midwest".

Or maybe it was originally "near west" "middle west" and
"far west", if Indiana was "west". I'm basing all of this
conjecture on a stupid little children's book title, after all.

-Steven Levine, on the Northern Plains
ste...@cray.com

Richard Jasper

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

Steven Levine (ste...@cray.com) wrote:
: You've got to consider it historically, not geographically.

Excellent point. It's "Northwestern University" because the area that's
now Chicago used to be part of the Northwest Territory, when the United
States' western border was the Mississippi River. Ditto, Rhodes College,
located in Memphis, used to be "Southwestern at Memphis" for the same
reason, i.e., Tennessee was in the SW portion of the U.S.

Richard

who lives in the NE portion of Metro Atlanta, which is part of NW
Georgia, and the SE United States.

Vadim Temkin

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

Ilona Koren-Deutsch <se...@tezcat.com> wrote:
>peg boucher murphy <pm...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>Ilona Koren-Deutsch <se...@tezcat.com> wrote:

>>>8) Vadim is adorable when he blushes.
>>and when he pinches cheeks.

>Which cheeks are those?

<BLUSH>Why? But Steve Giammarco's, of course!</BLUSH>
I have no idea why I was invited to pinch his cheeks in the first time
(probably I was mixed up with Jewish mother Leith Chu), but I enjoyed
each and every time I did it. (To tell the truth, I hoped that my
infatuation with Steve, which started at the DC.con, would fade away.
It didn't - that's why I am extremely shy around this beautiful man.
So whoever invented this cheeks-pinching schtick receives my profound
thanks.)

--
Vadim Temkin (va...@vmt.com)
http://www.vmt.com/ is now home of http://www.vmt.com/gayrussia/

Darren Scott Cobb

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

In article <31B69...@cern.ch>,
Michael Nieuwenhuizen <Michael.Ni...@cern.ch> wrote:

>>> 1) Wear a rubber shirt.
>> *yawn*
>
>It might be *yawn* in London or Amsterdam, but definitely
>not in the USA, especially the midwest (*)

My sentiments exactly. And I was in the room when he was
squeezing himself into it. Believe me, I wasn't yawning.

Darren Scott Cobb __ . __ . _/|__ ,
Indiana University }<_;> . }<_;> . /`o _ `\_/
das...@indiana.edu __ . >,_____,/^\
http://ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu/~dascobb/ }<_;> \| `

Message has been deleted

Vadim Temkin

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

In article <DsLrI...@mtcc.com>, Ilona Koren Deutsch <il...@mtcc.com> wrote:

>In article <4p7ofd$h...@shellx.best.com>, Vadim Temkin <va...@vmt.com> wrote:

>>>Which cheeks are those?
>>
>><BLUSH>Why? But Steve Giammarco's, of course!</BLUSH>
>
>But which cheeks of Steve's?
>
>Ilona, wondering if butt cheeks translates to Russian

It does (not exactly though).

Vadim "My fiancee is mean to me - but that's why I love her in the first
place" Temkin.

ke...@worldnet.att.net

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

ste...@cray.com (Steven Levine) wrote:

>You've got to consider it historically, not geographically.
>What was considered "The West" changed over time -- and over
>a time not too long ago. I used to own a children's
>book from (I think) the 1860s called "Dolly Dimple Out
>West" (from that famous Dolly Dimple series), and "Out
>West" meant "Indiana".

(deletia)

Wasn't Lincoln considered to be from "the West" and
that's 1850's and 60s's.

My father was a lineman for the telephone company as
a teenager in the late 1920's. I have a photo album
of his, mostly pictures of the linemen stuck literally
knee-deep in mud in various places they were working.
The album is titled "Out West" and he always referred
to working "in the West." The places range from Springfield,
IL to the states along the western edge of the Mississippi
River.

One of the pictures is interesting. It was taken in
a photo studio against a painted backdrop. This one was
the classic "romantic" scene: a crescent moon, on which
the girl usually perched; a space behind it where the
boy stood with stars round him to complete the June/moon
theme. My father is standing behind the moon with his
hand on the shoulder of another young man who is sitting
in the moon.

My father was virulently homophobic and had incredibly
evil stereotypes about gay men -- not just effeminate
ones. From the first time I saw this particular
photo as a small child it struck me as "odd", not what
men would do. I'm surprised that my father didn't see
the "questionable" overtones, especially as they aren't
mugging in the photo as if they were mocking the setting.

Life in the rugged "West" circa 1929.

Jack Carroll

Steve Giammarco

Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96

On 6 Jun 1996 14:21:00 -0500, se...@tezcat.com (Ilona Koren-Deutsch)
sez:

>In article <DsLBA...@midway.uchicago.edu>,

>peg boucher murphy <pm...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>>>8) Vadim is adorable when he blushes.
>>and when he pinches cheeks.
>
>Which cheeks are those?

<timidly raising hand>

Steve, eating better now...
--
Steve Giammarco |I'm tired of dancing here all by myself
sgia...@why.net |Tonight I wanna dance with someone else

Steve Giammarco

Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96

il...@mtcc.com (Ilona Koren Deutsch), Vadim Temkin <va...@vmt.com>,
and peg boucher murphy <pm...@midway.uchicago.edu> dished as follows:

Ilona: Vadim is adorable when he blushes.
Peg: ...and when he pinches cheeks.
Ilona: Which cheeks are those?
Vadim: <BLUSH>Why? But Steve Giammarco's, of course!</BLUSH>
Ilona: But which cheeks of Steve's?

Why, the very cheeks that Aunt Jannine (Tomasi) could pinch and
subsequently bring me to my knees, of course...

>Ilona, wondering if butt cheeks translates to Russian

Steve, not sure, but thinking of Vadim as my long lost babushka,
perhaps?

Alex Elliott

Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96

On Thu, 6 Jun 1996 08:45:50 GMT Michael Nieuwenhuizen (Michael.Ni...@cern.ch) wrote:

> (*) Why is Chicago in the "Midwest"? Looking at the map
> of the USA it looks more like the Mideast.

It depends on your point of view. As a die-hard Northeasterner, I see
U.S. geography this way (starting from the east coast of course):

First there's the east coast - Boston, NYC, Philly, DC; then there
are the Appalachians and then the midwest, which begins at about
Pittsburgh/Buffalo and extends to the Chicago/St. Louis/Kansas City
metropolitan area. Then there a few plains and mountains and other
miscellaneous geography and you get to the west coast with
Seattle/Portland/San Francisco/L.A.

This point of view puts Chicago at just about the westernmost part
of the midwest.

I've been told that there are some states down there somewhere below
the Mason-Dixon line, but I'm not sure I believe those rumors.

Alex, the preposterously provincial prepster who actually grew up
just five miles north of the Mason-Dixon line.

>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<
Alex Elliott
Yale University Physics Department
New Haven, CT, USA

email: ell...@minerva.cis.yale.edu
WWW: http://pantheon.cis.yale.edu/~elliott
>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<>=<

John Gintell

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

In article <4pco2k$4...@news.ycc.yale.edu> Alex Elliott,

ell...@minerva.cis.yale.edu writes:
>> (*) Why is Chicago in the "Midwest"? Looking at the map
>> of the USA it looks more like the Mideast.
>
>It depends on your point of view. As a die-hard Northeasterner, I see
>U.S. geography this way (starting from the east coast of course):

Yes it is a matter of point of view - having grown up in Manhattan
where some people think New Jersey is the midwest, the Bronx is
Upstate and noplace else exists. I remember hearing my mother say to
someone who lived in Queens, "I thought you lived in New York?"

_______ ____ "As soon as one belongs to a narrow creed in
John Gintell \ / | science, every unprejudiced and true perception
gin...@shore.net \/ | is gone." Goethe (1824)

Eric Holeman

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

In article <4pdd10$d...@shore.shore.net>,
John Gintell <gin...@shore.net> wrote:

>Yes it is a matter of point of view - having grown up in Manhattan
>where some people think New Jersey is the midwest, the Bronx is
>Upstate and noplace else exists. I remember hearing my mother say to
>someone who lived in Queens, "I thought you lived in New York?"

When my SO moved out to Seattle, I told him that when he'd moved
from Manhattan to Brooklyn, he'd already covered 90% of the distance.

Now we're both in the planet Midwest. Go figyuh.

Misha MCM

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

(Michael.Ni...@cern.ch) wrote:

> (*) Why is Chicago in the "Midwest"? Looking at the map
> of the USA it looks more like the Mideast.

Historical accident, I believe. Before the US bought the Louisiana
Territory from France, the western limit was the Mississippi River
(roughly speaking). The population was still below the threshold
needed for statehood, and the area was known as the Northwest
and Southwest Territories. After 1803 there was a whole lot more
west of the Mississippi, and the states formed out of the old
Northwest and Southwest Territories came to be thought of as
the "Midwest."

--Misha
"I have a thing for well-burnished parking brakes."

Leith Chu

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

Michael Nieuwenhuizen <Michael.Ni...@cern.ch> wrote:
>Ilona Koren-Deutsch wrote:
>> My favourite greeting:
>My favorite: "Could I rim you?" ... oh no, that was on another trip
>to Chicago....

Ah. Could he?

Mine was probably when Jeffrey screamed out "Leith!" in the lobby during
our Thursday night briefing session.

>> My favourite comment about me:

"You don't have a net persona."

>> The best surprise:

Meeting Mik.

>> Most outrageous thing I did:

1) Ask for a Redneck Barbie at FAO Schwartz.
2) Ask if I could take the remote-controlled car down the escalator (same
place).
3) The 5th Dimension "Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine" jam session with Season,
John Dorrance, a toy drum, toy cymbals, and toy maracas (same place).
4) Getting my head caught between two grinding lesbian vulvas at The
Closet.
5) Getting paid $50+tips and small, er, tokens of appreciation for sex
with someone I would have done anyway.
6) Getting the DJ to play faster and faster music so I could see who in
Charlie's had the stamina to do the Tush Push at breakneck speeds.
7) Pick an episode on the Couch of Infamy.

>> Other random observations:

I miss you all terribly much.

>3) Leith is really my sister

Scary, isn't it? :-)

Leith Chu, aka panda cub, aka dizzy Chinese leather smurf

PS: Never mind about the software for the new account.
It's being closed at the end of the month anyway.

Jeremy Mallory

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

Leith Chu (lc...@peinet.pe.ca) wrote:
: 6) Getting the DJ to play faster and faster music so I could see who in
: Charlie's had the stamina to do the Tush Push at breakneck speeds.

I was even recruited for this duty. Leith sent a C&W virgin up to
the window to request something faster. So the DJ, logically asked, "Like
what?"
"Oh, you know," quoth I. "Something a bit faster."
So what does he play next? Nikki French's remix of "Total Eclipse
of the Heart." Yoi.

Jeremy, who did enjoy seeing Leith and Steve exhaust the other
patrons by out Tush-Pushing them by far

Jeremy Mallory jmal...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
George Washington University Gelman Library, 714 J

Scott A. Safier

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

In article <4pco2k$4...@news.ycc.yale.edu>, ell...@minerva.cis.yale.edu
(Alex Elliott) wrote:

! Alex, the preposterously provincial prepster who actually grew up
! just five miles north of the Mason-Dixon line.

And which part of rural Pennsylvania would this be?

--
Scott Safier Robotics Institute
internet: cor...@cmu.edu Carnegie Mellon Univ.

Jeffrey William Sandris

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

In article <4pfodo$94c...@peinet.pe.ca>, Leith Chu <lc...@peinet.pe.ca> wrote:

>Mine was probably when Jeffrey screamed out "Leith!" in the lobby during
>our Thursday night briefing session.

That was FJ. Common error.

--
[] Jeffrey William Sandris san...@spdcc.com
[] "For all her masses and multitudes, she was best

Leith Chu

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

san...@spdcc.com (Jeffrey William Sandris) writes:
>In article <4pfodo$94c...@peinet.pe.ca>, Leith Chu <lc...@peinet.pe.ca> wrote:
>>Mine was probably when Jeffrey screamed out "Leith!" in the lobby during
>>our Thursday night briefing session.
>That was FJ. Common error.

Oh, yes. I took the flying leap in front of Josh doing our pre-mission
briefing and landed stretched out on my side in front of you, yes?

Leith Chu, panda cub | "What's that on top of your eggs Florentine?"
and not-so-dizzy | -- Darren S. Cobb
Chinese leather smurf | "They're eggs, Darren." -- me
lc...@bud.peinet.pe.ca | B1 h f- t rv c++!d g++ l++ k+ sv p

Michael Nieuwenhuizen

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

My sister Leith wrote:
> Michael Nieuwenhuizen <Michael.Ni...@cern.ch> wrote:
>> Ilona Koren-Deutsch wrote:
>>> My favourite greeting:
>> My favorite: "Could I rim you?" ... oh no, that was on another trip
>> to Chicago....
> Ah. Could he?

Of course. I like people who say what they want.

> I miss you all terribly much.

Same here. *sniff*

>> 3) Leith is really my sister
> Scary, isn't it? :-)

Actually I rather like the idea.

Mikkie

Jeffrey William Sandris

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

In article <4piph9$q...@bud.peinet.pe.ca>,

Leith Chu <lc...@bud.peinet.pe.ca> wrote:

>Oh, yes. I took the flying leap in front of Josh doing our pre-mission
>briefing and landed stretched out on my side in front of you, yes?

Yes indeed. I'm a regular Canadian magnet, I tellya.

--
[] Jeffrey William Sandris
[] san...@spdcc.com fuck...@mtcc.com

peg boucher murphy

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

In article <4p7b2s$5...@huitzilo.tezcat.com>,

Ilona Koren-Deutsch <se...@tezcat.com> wrote:
>In article <DsLBA...@midway.uchicago.edu>,
>peg boucher murphy <pm...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

ilona:

>>>4) Ann B is rather less wholesome than she pretends to be.

me:

>>does ann pretend to be wholesome? how have i missed this?

ilona:
>Well, she didn't join in the wrestling match in your house, did she? In
>fact, I think for once she didn't even take photos!

*some*one took photos. or rather, several people took photos with
someone's camera. ayana? ann?

ilona:

>>>7) Watch out for Natalie Boucher-Murphy... (Hi! Are you reading yet?)

me:

>>nope, but she will. <grin> we are developing kill files to make
>>it possible, timewise...

ilona:
>Oh, who needs homework? Besides, isn't school out yet?

not until next week. and she is now reading, just not posting.

peg
-posting far more than she has time for...

Champ Knecht

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

On 9 Jun 1996, John Gintell wrote:

> In article <4pco2k$4...@news.ycc.yale.edu> Alex Elliott,
> ell...@minerva.cis.yale.edu writes:

> >> (*) Why is Chicago in the "Midwest"? Looking at the map
> >> of the USA it looks more like the Mideast.

> >It depends on your point of view. As a die-hard Northeasterner, I see
> >U.S. geography this way (starting from the east coast of course):
>

> Yes it is a matter of point of view - having grown up in Manhattan
> where some people think New Jersey is the midwest, the Bronx is
> Upstate and noplace else exists. I remember hearing my mother say to
> someone who lived in Queens, "I thought you lived in New York?"

Some Manhattanite friends of mine refer to Inwood as "Upstate Manhattan".

Champ Knecht...Communications Services...Columbia University...115
Computer Center...champ@columbia.edu...(212) 854-6255

"It doesn't have to be sex! Drug addiction, child abuse,
collaboration with the Nazis -- these are all crowd pleasers!"

Mark S. Roberts

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

On Tue, 11 Jun 1996 13:43:56 -0400 Champ Knecht (ch...@columbia.edu) wrote:
| Some Manhattanite friends of mine refer to Inwood as "Upstate Manhattan".

When I lived in Beacon, New York, I was asked once where I was from.

"Missouri."

"Is that near Colorado?"

--
=== Mark Roberts, Kansas City, Mo. (USA) | http://www.crl.com/~transvox ===
"This thing's been going on for a thousand miles. We've *got* to end this!"

Michael Palmer

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

On 11 Jun 1996 17:28:48 -0700, in <4pl300$o...@crl.crl.com>,

tran...@crl.com (Mark S. Roberts) wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Jun 1996 13:43:56 -0400 Champ Knecht (ch...@columbia.edu) wrote:
>| Some Manhattanite friends of mine refer to Inwood as "Upstate Manhattan".

>When I lived in Beacon, New York, I was asked once where I was from.

>"Missouri."

>"Is that near Colorado?"

The mother of one of my floormates at Oxford--a woman (the mother, not the
floormate) from Scunthorpe, Lincs., with an accent straight out of Monty
Python--remarked to me upon meeting me for the first time and hearing me
speak, "Oh, you must be from the West Country" (which, of course I was,
although some 8000 miles farther west than she supposed).

--
Michael Palmer
Claremont, California

Jeremy Mallory

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

Champ Knecht (ch...@columbia.edu) wrote:
: Some Manhattanite friends of mine refer to Inwood as "Upstate Manhattan".

Which would make New Jersey "Downwind"?

Jeremy, up...down...whatever

Herman Kuiper

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

In article <4pl300$o...@crl.crl.com>, tran...@crl.com (Mark S. Roberts) wrote:

>When I lived in Beacon, New York, I was asked once where I was from.
>
>"Missouri."
>
>"Is that near Colorado?"

Ah well, that is at least in the same *country*.

"Where are you from?"

"Amsterdam"

"Isn't that the capitol of Denmark?"

Herman

Herman Kuiper - The Hague, The Netherlands - EMail: kui...@nlr.nl /
Research Engineer - National Aerospace Laboratory NLR Amsterdam (NLR)
Voice: +31-20-511 3633 (work), or +31-70-347 5596 (home) /

Leith Chu

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

kui...@nlr.nl (Herman Kuiper) wrote:
>tran...@crl.com (Mark S. Roberts) wrote:
>>When I lived in Beacon, New York, I was asked once where I was from.
>>"Missouri."
>>"Is that near Colorado?"
>Ah well, that is at least in the same *country*.
>"Where are you from?"
>"Amsterdam"
>"Isn't that the capitol of Denmark?"

Well, at least they got the *continent* right.

[not a word-for-word transcription, but accurate in content and tone]

"Roger, the plane tickets haven't arrived in Charlottetown yet."

[later]

"Leith, FedEx rescued them in London, England, en route to Kenya"

Leith, who does note that there's a Prince Edward Island south of Africa

Rod Williams

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

Herman Kuiper wrote:

<snip>

> "Where are you from?"
>
> "Amsterdam"
>
> "Isn't that the capitol of Denmark?"

"Where are you from?"

"Ireland."

"How long have you been here?"

"Three weeks."

"Wow! You've only been here three weeks and already
you speak English nearly as good as me!"

"Um...thanks."

Rod
--
\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_
\_ Rod Williams Pacific * Bell \_

Ayana Craven

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

In article <Dsuxu...@midway.uchicago.edu>,

peg boucher murphy <pm...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>In article <4p7b2s$5...@huitzilo.tezcat.com>,
>Ilona Koren-Deutsch <se...@tezcat.com> wrote:
>>In article <DsLBA...@midway.uchicago.edu>,
>>peg boucher murphy <pm...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>
>ilona:
>me:
>>>does ann pretend to be wholesome? how have i missed this?
>ilona:
>>Well, she didn't join in the wrestling match in your house, did she? In
>>fact, I think for once she didn't even take photos!
>
>*some*one took photos. or rather, several people took photos with
>someone's camera. ayana? ann?

'Twas my camera, and I have several shots that are lovely, but I
have to get permission (and find a scanner) before I can make them
available. But you should tell Natalie that she photographs quite
well !

Ayana, still waiting for the second set of film

--
ay...@panix.com Ayana Craven work: crav...@pid.com
"Acquaintances only take up the space,

a flying squirrel

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

Rod "Mwaw Mwah" Williams <rjw...@pacbell.com> wrote:

>Herman Kuiper wrote:
>> "Where are you from?"
>> "Amsterdam"
>> "Isn't that the capitol of Denmark?"
>
>"Where are you from?"
>"Ireland."
>"How long have you been here?"
>"Three weeks."
>"Wow! You've only been here three weeks and already
>you speak English nearly as good as me!"
>"Um...thanks."

"I'd like to send a gift subscription to my friend in Paris, please."

"Sure! What city in Paris does your friend live in?"
--
a flying squirrel Richard W. Johnson skw...@mtcc.com

"I got a new car in December and have already managed to destroy its
rear bumper. I think I am not gifted for driving." -- E McManus

Leith Chu

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

Rod Williams <rjw...@pacbell.com> wrote:
>"Where are you from?"
>"Ireland."
>"How long have you been here?"
>"Three weeks."
>"Wow! You've only been here three weeks and already
>you speak English nearly as good as me!"
>"Um...thanks."

Mebbe you should have told him that the word he was looking for was "well".

Scott A. Safier

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

In article <4pmd7q$4...@cronkite.seas.gwu.edu>, jmal...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
(Jeremy Mallory) wrote:

! Jeremy, up...down...whatever

lost, as usual?

Herman Kuiper

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

In article <DswuE...@mtcc.com>, skw...@mtcc.com (a flying squirrel) wrote:
>Rod "Mwaw Mwah" Williams <rjw...@pacbell.com> wrote:
>>Herman Kuiper wrote:
>>> "Where are you from?"
>>> "Amsterdam"
>>> "Isn't that the capitol of Denmark?"
>>
>>"Where are you from?"
>>"Ireland."
>>"How long have you been here?"
>>"Three weeks."
>>"Wow! You've only been here three weeks and already
>>you speak English nearly as good as me!"
>>"Um...thanks."
>
>"I'd like to send a gift subscription to my friend in Paris, please."
>
>"Sure! What city in Paris does your friend live in?"

Hmm, it seems it can be worse. I'll remember that next time when I'm
talking to some rednecks in a motor home.

Warren Goldfarb

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

In article <Pine.SUN.3.93L.96061...@bonjour.cc.columbia.edu>,

Champ Knecht <ch...@columbia.edu> wrote:

>Some Manhattanite friends of mine refer to Inwood as "Upstate Manhattan".

That's what it felt like, growing up there. (Robert C., do you agree?)

Warren Goldfarb
Department of Philosophy
Harvard University

John*G*

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

In article <31BD7A...@cern.ch>,
Michael Nieuwenhuizen <Michael.Ni...@cern.ch> wrote:

>My sister Leith wrote:
>> Ah. Could he?
>Of course. I like people who say what they want.

I've noticed....

>> I miss you all terribly much.
>Same here. *sniff*

*hug*

>>> 3) Leith is really my sister
>> Scary, isn't it? :-)
>Actually I rather like the idea.

*frown*

Umm...Mikkie...Just how many relatives am I getting in marrying you?

I mean...I'll gain a wife-in-law, a wife-in-law-in-law, and now a Panda-cub
for a sister-in-law? *shakes head*

I guess it means more presents though...

-John*G*

E-mail = ecl...@leeds.ac.uk
Bouncy Blue-eyed Brunette Bitch-Boy-Babe -Get it.
Devil/Angel. Fallen from grace & bathing in flames

The attached material has been sent without the knowledge of Leeds
University.The statements contained in my material are entirely my
opinions and I personally accept all responsibility for any liability
that may arise from my material.

Jeffrey William Sandris

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

In article <4pn88s$910...@peinet.pe.ca>, Leith Chu <lc...@peinet.pe.ca> wrote:

>[not a word-for-word transcription, but accurate in content and tone]
>"Roger, the plane tickets haven't arrived in Charlottetown yet."
>[later]
>"Leith, FedEx rescued them in London, England, en route to Kenya"
>Leith, who does note that there's a Prince Edward Island south of Africa

Maybe it's something about you. You remember my description of this
exchange:

Operator: AT&T, how can I help you?

Me: Could I have the area code for Charlottetown, Prince Edward
Island, please?

Operator: Is that in the United States?

The nice Canadian DA operator found you just fine, though.

--
[] Jeffrey William Sandris san...@spdcc.com

Robert S. Coren

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

In article <4pq53d$1...@decaxp.HARVARD.EDU>,

Warren Goldfarb <gold...@fas.HARVARD.EDU> wrote:
>In article <Pine.SUN.3.93L.96061...@bonjour.cc.columbia.edu>,
>Champ Knecht <ch...@columbia.edu> wrote:
>>
>>Some Manhattanite friends of mine refer to Inwood as "Upstate Manhattan".
>>

>That's what it felt like, growing up there. (Robert C., do you agree?)

I guess kinda. Of course, we moved to Riverdale when I was 9; now
that's *really* upstate.
--
|-------Robert Coren (co...@spdcc.com)-------------------------|
| Aw, well... I guess some of us talks too much, anyway. |

Jeremy Mallory

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

Scott A. Safier (cor...@cmu.edu) wrote:

: (Jeremy Mallory) wrote:
: ! Jeremy, up...down...whatever

: lost, as usual?

Naw. Sometimes I just, um, take the long way there. (Hi Dean! Hi
Season!)

Jeremy, "so *that's* how you get on the George Washington
Parkway! Kewl!"

Leith Chu

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

san...@spdcc.com (Jeffrey William Sandris) writes:
>In article <4pn88s$910...@peinet.pe.ca>, Leith Chu <lc...@peinet.pe.ca> wrote:
>>"Roger, the plane tickets haven't arrived in Charlottetown yet."
>>"Leith, FedEx rescued them in London, England, en route to Kenya"
>Maybe it's something about you. You remember my description of this
>exchange:
>Operator: AT&T, how can I help you?

AT&T? Well, that explains everything.

>Me: Could I have the area code for Charlottetown, Prince Edward
> Island, please?
>Operator: Is that in the United States?

I wonder what year the operator thought the State of Prince Edward Island
joined the Union.

>The nice Canadian DA operator found you just fine, though.

I'm not surprised. I'm listed in the Canadian Police Information Computer.

Myco

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

CH>On 9 Jun 1996, John Gintell wrote:

CH>> >It depends on your point of view. As a die-hard Northeasterner, I see
CH>> >U.S. geography this way (starting from the east coast of course):
CH>>
CH>> Yes it is a matter of point of view - having grown up in Manhattan
CH>> where some people think New Jersey is the midwest, the Bronx is
CH>> Upstate and noplace else exists. I remember hearing my mother say to
CH>> someone who lived in Queens, "I thought you lived in New York?"

CH>Some Manhattanite friends of mine refer to Inwood as "Upstate Manhattan".

CH>Champ Knecht...Communications Services...Columbia University...115
CH> Computer Center...champ@columbia.edu...(212) 854-6255

CH> "It doesn't have to be sex! Drug addiction, child abuse,
CH> collaboration with the Nazis -- these are all crowd pleasers!"

Yeah, I know. For some people in NYC, anything west of the Hudson River
is the West. And for me, in California, Colorado is the east. Go
figure. :)

Season Marie Taylor

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

In article <4pfodo$94c...@peinet.pe.ca>, Leith Chu <lc...@peinet.pe.ca> wrote:

>1) Ask for a Redneck Barbie at FAO Schwartz.

um, that would be "white trash barbie"

*grin*

season, wondering if she should eat something
--
season marie taylor |"aren't you proud of me?
cz...@email.unc.edu | i came quietly."
| --spriteboy tinypetfag john dorrance

Misha MCM

Jun 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/25/96

In article <4pt3sh$h...@newz.oit.unc.edu>, cz...@email.unc.edu (Season Marie
Taylor) writes:

>season, wondering if she should eat something

Yes, definitely.

--Misha
"Since my wife has gone and joined forces with the devil I've lost
interest
in bathroom tiling, grouted or otherwise." -- Geoffrey Ballard