The big news in Britain...

1 view

Dennis Lewis

Dec 8, 2003, 7:00:50 PM12/8/03
Tonight the ITV Evening News* devoted most of its half-hour to the
Trafalgar Square victory rally for the British rugby team (and Jonny
Wilkinson) -- not that there's anything wrong with that.

"Swing low, sweet char-i-ot -- comin' for to carry me home..."

__________________
* seen in the U.S. on Newsworld International

David Horne

Dec 8, 2003, 8:57:06 PM12/8/03
Dennis Lewis <d...@spry-net.com> wrote:

> Tonight the ITV Evening News* devoted most of its half-hour

Howw touching that you watch most of the ITV Evening News. No one in the
UK seems to.

Now, call me a cynic, but ITV has an ever-decreasing news budget. It was
cheap TV basically, with the advantage that they didn't have to pay to
send crews outside their London base. Still, it was big news on other
networks.

> to the
> Trafalgar Square victory rally for the British rugby team (and Jonny
> Wilkinson) -- not that there's anything wrong with that.

Oh, indeed! I'm trying to work out what I like most about all of this.
Is it:

a) Jonny Wilkinson

or

B) It's not football (soccer)

> "Swing low,

Nah- too dangerous. I had to explain to Oscar tonight why most of the
players, while cute enough, all had cauliflower ears and oddly shaped
noses...

David

--
David Horne- (website under reconstruction)
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk

Brad Macdonald

Dec 8, 2003, 9:38:24 PM12/8/03
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, David Horne wrote:
> Howw touching that you watch most of the ITV Evening News. No one in the
> UK seems to.
>
> Now, call me a cynic, but ITV has an ever-decreasing news budget. It was
> cheap TV basically, with the advantage that they didn't have to pay to
> send crews outside their London base. Still, it was big news on other
> networks. []

It's true that the BBC no longer broadcasts shortwave radio to N. America?

Brad

David Horne

Dec 9, 2003, 4:41:12 AM12/9/03
Brad Macdonald <br...@columbia.edu> wrote:

I remember reading about that. I think the rationale was that it was
available to so many people in North America either through the internet
or local radio stations (e.g. NPR, and on a very selecive basis) that
they felt it wasn't _as_ necessary as ensuring better reception in other
parts of the world. It caused a bit of controversy, but then again, I
think the number of actual listeners using _shortwave_ radio in North
America compared to other media was very small. Worth remembering that
the World Service isn't actually funded by the license fee, but by the
Foreign Office- so I don't know if it was a BBC or Government decision-
or both.

Christian Hansen

Dec 9, 2003, 5:14:11 PM12/9/03

You can listen to it on the web with your broadband and Real Audio player.
It's the same as it was when BBC did broadcast on shortwave to North America,
but without the "!£$%$%WOO POP GRRRRRRR...BBC World £$£$%!$£!£$!from Bush
House in POP PO POPOPOPOPOP". Otherwise, that's known as static.

Chris "As a former SWL, I prefer the streamed audio anytime." Hansen

Oh, yes, and I can hear it on FM too most of the day.

--
Chris Hansen | chrishansenhome at btinternet dot com
Kevin: "I'm trying to decode the phrase: 'your one-stop suppository'."

DRS

Dec 9, 2003, 5:18:22 PM12/9/03
David Horne <this_address...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
1g5ofrd.14nnlk91oaosivN%this_address...@yahoo.co.uk
> Dennis Lewis <d...@spry-net.com> wrote:

[...]

>> to the
>> Trafalgar Square victory rally for the British rugby team (and Jonny
>> Wilkinson) -- not that there's anything wrong with that.
>
> Oh, indeed! I'm trying to work out what I like most about all of this.
> Is it:
>
> a) Jonny Wilkinson
>
> or
>
> B) It's not football (soccer)

It's desperately sad, is what it is. But I guess that's what happens when
you only win one world cup in more than a generation.

--

"But then again, I have experiences which are lies, so be careful."
Net.psychotic Michael Thomas al-Sahaf, still beating the Americans back with

Dennis Lewis

Dec 9, 2003, 7:22:58 PM12/9/03
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 22:14:11 +0000 (UTC), Christian Hansen
<chrisha...@notrash.btinternet.com.invalid> wrote:

>You can listen to it on the web with your broadband and Real Audio player. ...

FWIW: I listen to BBC Radio Wales at the office, using the broadband
connection, but I've never tried it over the analog connection at
home. (And Radio Ulster once, when my browser wouldn't start the Radio
Wales stream for whatever reason.)

BBC Radio Wales is a bit of a throwback to a U.S. station circa 1958
in its programming strategy: A news report followed by a public
affairs program followed by an hour of recorded music (though not one
particular genre) and some guy who conducts a call-in quiz, then the
evening news and, depending on the day of the week, either an hour of
classical music, show tunes (yes, hon, Broadway -- that should keep
the queens in Cardiff gay), or bluegrass.

Dennis Lewis

Dec 9, 2003, 7:38:11 PM12/9/03
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 01:57:06 +0000,
this_address...@yahoo.co.uk (David Horne) wrote:

>Howw touching that you watch most of the ITV Evening News. No one in the
>UK seems to.

Not even for Tom Bradby's reports? [Groucho Marx tapping cigar] I
wouldn't mind giving him an exclusive... [/Groucho Marx tapping cigar]

I can't guess how much, or even if, Newsworld International is paying
ITV to carry its news show. What gets me is that NI -- which is a
venture of CBC -- doesn't show the CBC Evening News until very late at
night. And why they decided to put ITV's evening report up against the
domestic networks' evening news is a mystery, but hey, I think ITV's
presentation is a lot snazzier than CBS, NBC or ABC. (It's all in the
packaging, doncha know.)

And yes, Newsworld International is the channel that Al Gore et.al are
rumored to be interested in acquiring to form the basis for a liberal
counterweight to the Fox News Channel.

The logic behind that escapes me as well. First of all, just because
you're beaming shows from a satellite doesn't mean anyone is watching.
Even though Newsworld International allegedly reaches 20 million
households, how many actually watch it is another matter. The only
reason I'm in that 20 milliion is because Comcast has put it in the
same tier as Fox Sports World.

If liberal strategists want to counteract conservative propaganda,
they need to consider buying a channel that people are actually
watching and are familiar with. How about approaching Rupert to see if
he'd like a partner in Fox News? He's a shrewd businessman; maybe he'd
be open to a cash infusion along with a say in the programming
philosophy.

Then there's ABC Family -- ABC may welcome a chance to unload that
white elephant. Of course, the buyers would inherit that obligation to
air Pat Robertson's "700 Club" every night, but what could be better
-- sandwich Pat between Al Franken and Molly Ivins.

David Horne

Dec 10, 2003, 6:46:58 AM12/10/03
Dennis Lewis <d...@spry-net.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 22:14:11 +0000 (UTC), Christian Hansen
> <chrisha...@notrash.btinternet.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >You can listen to it on the web with your broadband and Real Audio
> >player. ...
>
> FWIW: I listen to BBC Radio Wales at the office, using the broadband
> connection, but I've never tried it over the analog connection at
> home. (And Radio Ulster once, when my browser wouldn't start the Radio
> Wales stream for whatever reason.)

It should be fine, because it broadcasts at around 30kbps, and can go
down to around 16kbps with no appreciable loss of quality.

David Horne

Dec 10, 2003, 6:46:59 AM12/10/03
DRS <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:

> David Horne <this_address...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> 1g5ofrd.14nnlk91oaosivN%this_address...@yahoo.co.uk
> > Dennis Lewis <d...@spry-net.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> to the
> >> Trafalgar Square victory rally for the British rugby team (and Jonny
> >> Wilkinson) -- not that there's anything wrong with that.
> >
> > Oh, indeed! I'm trying to work out what I like most about all of this.
> > Is it:
> >
> > a) Jonny Wilkinson
> >
> > or
> >
> > B) It's not football (soccer)
>
> It's desperately sad, is what it is.

My, my. Sour grapes?

> But I guess that's what happens when
> you only win one world cup in more than a generation.

Well, I'm not English so I wouldn't know what it feels like. What I do
know is that I prefer rugby to football, and rugby players to
footballers.

DRS

Dec 10, 2003, 8:17:47 AM12/10/03
David Horne <this_address...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
1g5r1uc.gqtui3g8i5pvN%this_address...@yahoo.co.uk

> DRS <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:
>> David Horne <this_address...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> 1g5ofrd.14nnlk91oaosivN%this_address...@yahoo.co.uk
>>> Dennis Lewis <d...@spry-net.com> wrote:
>>
>> [...]

[...]

>> It's desperately sad, is what it is.
>
> My, my. Sour grapes?

Hardly. I was disappointed, of course, but not devastated. Do you want a
detailed list of Australia's dominance over England in every major sport
(except soccer, last February - Aus 3 d Eng 1 - notwithstanding)?

>> But I guess that's what happens when
>> you only win one world cup in more than a generation.
>
> Well, I'm not English so I wouldn't know what it feels like. What I do
> know is that I prefer rugby to football, and rugby players to
> footballers.

Ah. Well, if nothing else it means I am *so* not your type.

David Horne

Dec 10, 2003, 10:27:57 AM12/10/03
Robert Cumming <robe...@bredband.net> wrote:

> In article <1g5r1uc.gqtui3g8i5pvN%this_address...@yahoo.co.uk>,

> this_address...@yahoo.co.uk (David Horne) wrote:
> > What I do know is that I prefer rugby to football, and rugby players
> > to footballers.
>

> Not something that can be generalised to all the soc.motss Scots.

...or the rest of the UK probably, the current rugby hooplah
notwithstanding.

soc.motss.scots has a ring to it.

David Horne

Dec 10, 2003, 10:27:57 AM12/10/03
DRS <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:

> Hardly. I was disappointed, of course, but not devastated. Do you want a
> detailed list of Australia's dominance over England in every major sport
> (except soccer, last February - Aus 3 d Eng 1 - notwithstanding)?

Oh, please. As I said before, I'm not English, and even if I was, I just
don't think I'd care.

DRS

Dec 10, 2003, 11:00:11 AM12/10/03
David Horne <this_address...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
1g5rc8e.11p13hh1j3q2abN%this_address...@yahoo.co.uk

> DRS <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Hardly. I was disappointed, of course, but not devastated. Do you
>> want a detailed list of Australia's dominance over England in every
>> major sport (except soccer, last February - Aus 3 d Eng 1 -
>> notwithstanding)?
>
> Oh, please. As I said before, I'm not English, and even if I was, I
> just don't think I'd care.

So don't give me the "sour grapes" crap then. Our record over England in
ever major sport we contest except soccer is so indisputably superior we
don't have a national breakdown just because we lost one.

David Horne

Dec 10, 2003, 11:09:42 AM12/10/03
DRS <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:

> Our record over England in
> ever major sport we contest except soccer is so indisputably superior we
> don't have a national breakdown just because we lost one.

<repeat>Oh, please. As I said before, I'm not English, and even if I
was, I just don't think I'd care.</repeat>

DRS

Dec 10, 2003, 11:23:21 AM12/10/03
David Horne <this_address...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
1g5re5o.1e7nn36urrxdN%this_address...@yahoo.co.uk

> DRS <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Our record over England in
>> ever major sport we contest except soccer is so indisputably
>> superior we don't have a national breakdown just because we lost one.
>
> <repeat>Oh, please. As I said before, I'm not English, and even if I
> was, I just don't think I'd care.</repeat>

It's not like you to snip so as to alter the context. Don't make a habit of
it or you'll be falling in with some very bad company.

Mike McKinley

Dec 10, 2003, 11:15:24 AM12/10/03
David Horne wrote:
> DRS <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:
>>Hardly. I was disappointed, of course, but not devastated. Do you want a
>>detailed list of Australia's dominance over England in every major sport
>>(except soccer, last February - Aus 3 d Eng 1 - notwithstanding)?
> Oh, please. As I said before, I'm not English, and even if I was, I just
> don't think I'd care.

I wouldn't give a snipped marsupial foreskin for all the sports on Earth.

David Horne

Dec 10, 2003, 11:31:31 AM12/10/03
DRS <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:

> It's not like you to snip so as to alter the context. Don't make a habit of
> it or you'll be falling in with some very bad company.

OK then-

DRS <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:

> So don't give me the "sour grapes" crap then. Our record over England in

> ever major sport we contest except soccer is so indisputably superior we
> don't have a national breakdown just because we lost one.

<repeat>Oh, please. As I said before, I'm not English, and even if I
was, I just don't think I'd care.</repeat>

I'm not sure what context has been added, frankly.

Michael Palmer

Dec 10, 2003, 1:45:52 PM12/10/03
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:35:55 +0000 (UTC), in soc.motss, the artist
formerly known as rzepelaa <SOC.MOTS...@panix.com> wrote:

>In article <br7fue$9n0$1...@lust.ihug.co.nz>, DRS wrote:
>> David Horne <this_address...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> 1g5rc8e.11p13hh1j3q2abN%this_address...@yahoo.co.uk

>> > Oh, please. As I said before, I'm not English, and even if I was, I
>> > just don't think I'd care.
>
>> So don't give me the "sour grapes" crap then. Our record over England in
>> ever major sport we contest except soccer is so indisputably superior we
>> don't have a national breakdown just because we lost one.
>

>Oh, Lordy.
>
>So, anyone got any URLs for hot, naked, celebratory
>rugby players? I take it some kind of big championship or
>other has been completed or something?

http://pub127.ezboard.com/fladsnet52512frm1.showMessage?topicID=16037.topic
(OK, they're French, not English, and they're not celebrating a
particular victory)
--
Michael Palmer
Claremont, California

Tim McDaniel

Dec 10, 2003, 3:14:36 PM12/10/03
In article <3fd767df...@news.panix.com>,

Michael Palmer <mpa...@panix.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:35:55 +0000 (UTC), in soc.motss, the artist
>formerly known as rzepelaa <SOC.MOTS...@panix.com> wrote:
>>So, anyone got any URLs for hot, naked, celebratory
>>rugby players? I take it some kind of big championship or
>>other has been completed or something?
>
>http://pub127.ezboard.com/fladsnet52512frm1.showMessage?topicID=16037.topic

It looks like <http://www.ruggerbugger.com/index2.htm>
(!) may also be of interest, but I can't look at the images from work.

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com; tm...@us.ibm.com is my work address

Robert S. Coren

Dec 10, 2003, 3:34:18 PM12/10/03
In article <br7urc$81d$1...@reader2.panix.com>,

Tim McDaniel <tm...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <3fd767df...@news.panix.com>,
>Michael Palmer <mpa...@panix.com> wrote:
>>On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:35:55 +0000 (UTC), in soc.motss, the artist
>>formerly known as rzepelaa <SOC.MOTS...@panix.com> wrote:
>>>So, anyone got any URLs for hot, naked, celebratory
>>>rugby players? I take it some kind of big championship or
>>>other has been completed or something?
>>
>>http://pub127.ezboard.com/fladsnet52512frm1.showMessage?topicID=16037.topic
>
>It looks like <http://www.ruggerbugger.com/index2.htm>
>(!) may also be of interest, but I can't look at the images from work.

It's a teaser -- you have to pay to see the actual pictures.
--
---Robert Coren (co...@panix.com)------------------------------------
"I often postulate with high structural coherence."

Frank McQuarry

Dec 10, 2003, 7:10:55 PM12/10/03

David Horne wrote:

> <repeat>Oh, please. As I said before, I'm not English, and even if I
> was, I just don't think I'd care.</repeat>

So, if you're not English, then what are you?

Splat

Dec 10, 2003, 7:48:18 PM12/10/03
"Robert S. Coren" <co...@panix.com> wrote in message

> >It looks like <http://www.ruggerbugger.com/index2.htm>
> >(!) may also be of interest, but I can't look at the images from work.
>
> It's a teaser -- you have to pay to see the actual pictures.

Those money-grubbing rot eyed bastards! Not that I pay attention to these
things, but one of the filthy smut newsgroups had a whole slurry of
copyright infringing outtakes from somesuch buggering rugger video. The
quality of the imagery was relatively good for the same old shit. The
quality of the *imaged* was, well, to die for. Although soccer is far too
dull and rugby makes no sense, both sports do appear to encourage bodies
worthy of particular objectification.

*X*
(of course that new tennis lad, now... oh dear)

DRS

Dec 11, 2003, 12:53:41 AM12/11/03
David Horne <this_address...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
1g5rf5h.tn80601p3s6yhN%this_address...@yahoo.co.uk

> DRS <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:
>
>> It's not like you to snip so as to alter the context. Don't make a
>> habit of it or you'll be falling in with some very bad company.
>
> OK then-
>
> DRS <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:
>
>> So don't give me the "sour grapes" crap then. Our record over
>> England in ever major sport we contest except soccer is so
>> indisputably superior we don't have a national breakdown just
>> because we lost one.
>
> <repeat>Oh, please. As I said before, I'm not English, and even if I
> was, I just don't think I'd care.</repeat>
>
> I'm not sure what context has been added, frankly.

It's the "sour grapes" bit. I don't give a rat's arse whether you're
English or not, if you want to try that one on then you have to expect it to
get thrown back at you.

David Horne

Dec 11, 2003, 3:00:45 AM12/11/03
DRS <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:

> It's the "sour grapes" bit. I don't give a rat's arse whether you're
> English or not, if you want to try that one on then you have to expect it to
> get thrown back at you.

I still can't figure out why you complained about it's removal. It
didn't IMO justify your boring repetition of Australia's sporting
prowess, which I didn't care about the first time, or the second.

David Horne

Dec 11, 2003, 3:09:00 AM12/11/03
Frank McQuarry <fmcq...@earthlink.net> wrote:

I'm Scottish. British is fine too, but English is inaccurate.

Michael Palmer

Dec 11, 2003, 2:29:26 AM12/11/03

Frank McQuarry

Dec 11, 2003, 7:47:24 AM12/11/03

David Horne wrote:

> Frank McQuarry <fmcq...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > David Horne wrote:
> >
> > > <repeat>Oh, please. As I said before, I'm not English, and even if I
> > > was, I just don't think I'd care.</repeat>
> >
> > So, if you're not English, then what are you?
>
> I'm Scottish. British is fine too, but English is inaccurate.

How does this label get defined in the UK. Are you Scottish because you
were born in Scotland, (even though your parents may be from somewhere
else), or some other way?

DRS

Dec 11, 2003, 8:03:34 AM12/11/03
David Horne <this_address...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
1g5sm0l.l2vski1v0ou6xN%this_address...@yahoo.co.uk

> DRS <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:
>
>> It's the "sour grapes" bit. I don't give a rat's arse whether you're
>> English or not, if you want to try that one on then you have to
>> expect it to get thrown back at you.
>
> I still can't figure out why you complained about it's removal.

Because it's the nub of the argument? I mean, you brought it up and now
you're whingeing because I want to address it. Make your mind up.

> It
> didn't IMO justify your boring repetition of Australia's sporting
> prowess, which I didn't care about the first time, or the second.

So? It's relevant whether you care about it or not.

DRS

Dec 11, 2003, 9:27:43 AM12/11/03
Robert Cumming <robe...@bredband.net> wrote in message
qk8yljw...@skuld.astro.su.se

[...]

> I've usually gone by accent, but there are probably cultural problems
> with that now. I'm not aware that there are any definitions which
> will always work (which is why the issue probably looks irrelevant to
> your average Australian, and why such things cause war and genocide
> every so often, I suppose).

What are you going on about? I'm well aware of the differences between the
Scots and the English.

Robert S. Coren

Dec 11, 2003, 11:05:09 AM12/11/03
In article <qk8yljw...@skuld.astro.su.se>,
Robert Cumming <robe...@bredband.net> wrote:
>In article <3FD86758...@earthlink.net>,
>I've usually gone by accent, but there are probably cultural problems
>with that now. I'm not aware that there are any definitions which
>will always work (which is why the issue probably looks irrelevant to
>your average Australian, and why such things cause war and genocide
>every so often, I suppose).
>
>Is John Fisher around? I bet he knows the answer to this.

Very likely. My recollection is that John generally describes himself
(if at all) as an Englishman living in Scotland. Now you mention it, I
haven't seen a post from him in some time.

John? You there? You OK?
--
---Robert Coren (co...@panix.com)------------------------------------
"At least the craters on my asteroid look nice." --BBC

Tim McDaniel

Dec 11, 2003, 12:19:46 PM12/11/03
In article <qkllpjw...@skuld.astro.su.se>,
Robert Cumming <robe...@bredband.net> wrote:
>For example, the sophisticated argument about the difference between
>England and the UK, which is demonstrably of no interest whatever to
>people located on outside the country.

Hardly! Then again, I have some knowledge of heraldry, I know that
the Southern Secretary of State was responsible for correspondence
with Ireland, the colonies, and the western powers of Europe, and the
only two hereditary peers left as of right in the House of Lords are
the Earl Marshal of England and the Lord Great Chamberlain of England.

In Googling to make sure of that last point, I ran across
<http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/ld199899/ldhansrd/vo990525/text/90525-25.htm>,
from Hansard's transcript of debate on the House of Lords Act 1999. I
found some of it to be a hoot; in the previous page, Lord Montrose
referred to himself as a "lame Duke".

The Earl of Onslow: ... I speak solely as an Anglo-Saxon suburban
Surrey Peer. I have nothing to do with Scotland except an
occasional desire that the XXth Vintrix Legion should go back and
garrison the wall. ...

Lord Williams of Mostyn: The noble Earl, Lord Onslow, offered to
take a bet, which I think is very improper behaviour in your
Lordships' House. It is well known that the hereditary aristocracy
is a role model to the younger generation in this country and
anything that induces them into the path of addictive gambling is
wholly to be deprecated.

The Earl of Onslow: I cannot let that kind of challenge go totally
by me. The life peerage in the form of the noble Lord, Lord Marsh,
has got a hundred quid on with the noble Lord, Lord Rodgers of
Quarry Bank, that the House will not exist like this for 10 years!
I am only following the example of what can only be classed as the
"modern jumped-up peerage". It is as simple as that.

Lord Williams of Mostyn: That is entirely my point! The noble
Lord, Lord Marsh, has not had the benefit of centuries of
exquisite inbreeding, and therefore one could not expect him to be
able to discharge his public responsibilities as a role model in
the way of which one would have been confident when looking to the
noble Earl, Lord Onslow. ...

Need I say more? I shall. [sits]

Dennis Lewis

Dec 11, 2003, 5:08:50 PM12/11/03
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:45:52 GMT, mpa...@panix.com (Michael Palmer)
wrote:

>http://pub127.ezboard.com/fladsnet52512frm1.showMessage?topicID=16037.topic
>(OK, they're French, not English, and they're not celebrating a
>particular victory)

And the DVD is Zone 2 "seulement" --
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C8RAJ/402-5111883-4359334

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Splat

Dec 11, 2003, 6:05:55 PM12/11/03

"Dennis Lewis" <d...@spry-net.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:45:52 GMT, mpa...@panix.com (Michael Palmer)
> wrote:
> >

>http://pub127.ezboard.com/fladsnet52512frm1.showMessage?topicID=16037.topic
> >(OK, they're French, not English, and they're not celebrating a
> >particular victory)

Well that's just great. One more reason why the French are just plain
better than everyone else.

Oh, yes. That's the one.

> AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

At least this makes up for the fact that A&F won't be selling clothes with
naked people anymore.

*X*

Frank McQuarry

Dec 11, 2003, 8:05:32 PM12/11/03

Robert Cumming wrote:

> In article <3FD86758...@earthlink.net>,

> I've usually gone by accent, but there are probably cultural problems
> with that now. I'm not aware that there are any definitions which
> will always work (which is why the issue probably looks irrelevant to
> your average Australian, and why such things cause war and genocide
> every so often, I suppose).

In the US, people, (white people, anyway), often will ask about your ancestry,
meaning where in europe are your ancestors from. Although, I have a bit of
Scottish blood in my background, and the name "McQuarry" is officially listed as
being part of Clan McGuire, I doubt that anyone in the UK would recognize me as
Scottish.

> Is John Fisher around? I bet he knows the answer to this.

I haven't seen him post in a while. Hopefully, he's doing okay and his health
has returned.

Splat

Dec 11, 2003, 8:43:07 PM12/11/03
"Frank McQuarry" <fmcq...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> In the US, people, (white people, anyway), often will ask about your
ancestry,
> meaning where in europe are your ancestors from. Although, I have a bit
of
> Scottish blood in my background, and the name "McQuarry" is officially
listed as
> being part of Clan McGuire, I doubt that anyone in the UK would recognize
me as
> Scottish.

So, Foultone. Was it that you found out that you were Scottish that ruined
your life? It doesn't seem so bad for a pillar of Western capitalism. That
Carnegie fellow was Scottish, wasn't he? The Masons, too. Why, as I
understand it, the Knights Templar fled to Scotland to escape that French
roi bastard, where they've been plotting constitutional conventions ever
since.

Or was it that you were.... all right, I won't go there.

*X*
(who caught another bout of Prime Ministers Questions on my cute little
SBC/DSL video thingie, which is only relevant because some fiesty little
chap who *sounded* Scottish asked Tony how it could not "be fair" to tax
those earning over 100k (at the ridiculously socialist rate of 50%) while it
was fair to tax those earning 35k such a rate to pay back their student
loans. Tony did not do such a good job. It was necessary for the right
honorable muck-a-muck who sits up in a big chair to defend Tony thusly, "It
is my understanding, ORDER!, that the Prime Minister is answering the
question, ORDER! (brilliant pause for effect)... in his own way." You know,
we just plain missed the boat with that whole revolution thing.)

Michael Palmer

Dec 11, 2003, 11:29:58 PM12/11/03
On 11 Dec 2003 14:34:13 +0100, in soc.motss, Robert Cumming
<robe...@bredband.net> wrote:

>In article <3FD86758...@earthlink.net>,

>I've usually gone by accent, but there are probably cultural problems
>with that now. I'm not aware that there are any definitions which
>will always work (which is why the issue probably looks irrelevant to
>your average Australian, and why such things cause war and genocide
>every so often, I suppose).

I go by self-identification, accent, and place of birth (self or
parents), in that order. The old rule was that your nationality was
determined by where you or your parents were born, but as British
society has becomine increasingly mobile I suspect that this rule
applies nowadays only to determining eligibility for county and
national cricket squads.

David Horne

Dec 12, 2003, 8:48:16 AM12/12/03
Splat <notm...@notyahoo.nocomment> wrote:

> (who caught another bout of Prime Ministers Questions on my cute little
> SBC/DSL video thingie, which is only relevant because some fiesty little
> chap who *sounded* Scottish asked Tony how it could not "be fair" to tax
> those earning over 100k (at the ridiculously socialist rate of 50%) while it
> was fair to tax those earning 35k such a rate to pay back their student
> loans.

Yes, he is Scottish. It was the leader of the lib dems (Charles Kennedy)
who asked that question.

David Horne

Dec 12, 2003, 8:48:16 AM12/12/03
Frank McQuarry <fmcq...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> How does this label get defined in the UK. Are you Scottish because you
> were born in Scotland, (even though your parents may be from somewhere
> else), or some other way?

Generally, that's the case, but I've met people who moved there, or
lived there most of their life, who considered themselves Scots.
Nationality in the UK is quite nuanced. It might seem a little silly to
an outsider, but I do get a kind of rush, a sense of homecoming if you
like, everytime I go north of the border from England. It's just a
question of identity on a personal level- I'm not a nationalist on a
political level though.

David Horne

Dec 12, 2003, 12:25:05 PM12/12/03
Frank McQuarry <fmcq...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In the US, people, (white people, anyway), often will ask about your ancestry,
> meaning where in europe are your ancestors from.

I've often noticed that some (white) americans say something like "I'm
half scottish, half german," usually referring to the ancestry of their
grandparents or even further back.

Chris Ambidge

Dec 12, 2003, 1:22:03 PM12/12/03
[mr bitch bovine]

<fanning himself, taking a short while for breathing to return
to normal>

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man, in
posession of either a library card or an internet connection,
must be in want of a reference librarian.

anyone previously in doubt of the truth of this assertion
shirley would be convinced by these URLs .

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

ailuropoda melanoleuca torontonensis

Chris Ambidge

Dec 12, 2003, 2:58:24 PM12/12/03
>> Our record over England in
>> ever major sport we contest except soccer is so indisputably superior we
>> don't have a national breakdown just because we lost one.

[david]

><repeat>Oh, please. As I said before, I'm not English, and even if I
>was, I just don't think I'd care.</repeat>

but will you indulge in schadenfreude?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/funny_old_game/3306547.stm

and the statement will be being made in person by an Australian
international athlete.

manly panda

David Horne

Dec 12, 2003, 5:28:47 PM12/12/03
Chris Ambidge <amb...@ecf.toronto.edu> wrote:

> >> Our record over England in
> >> ever major sport we contest except soccer is so indisputably superior we
> >> don't have a national breakdown just because we lost one.
> >
> [david]
> ><repeat>Oh, please. As I said before, I'm not English, and even if I
> >was, I just don't think I'd care.</repeat>
>
> but will you indulge in schadenfreude?

Not me, no. Rugby players are IMO good for looking at, and I don't mind
watching the game every now and again- beats football. Sports related
"news" otherwise tends to turn me off.

Frank McQuarry

Dec 12, 2003, 6:23:40 PM12/12/03

David Horne wrote:

> Frank McQuarry <fmcq...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > How does this label get defined in the UK. Are you Scottish because you
> > were born in Scotland, (even though your parents may be from somewhere
> > else), or some other way?
>
> Generally, that's the case, but I've met people who moved there, or
> lived there most of their life, who considered themselves Scots.
> Nationality in the UK is quite nuanced. It might seem a little silly to
> an outsider, but I do get a kind of rush, a sense of homecoming if you
> like, everytime I go north of the border from England. It's just a
> question of identity on a personal level- I'm not a nationalist on a
> political level though.

I guess, I feel the same way about where I'm from, Minnesota. It's where I
was born and raised, and no matter where I live it will always be home.

Frank McQuarry

Dec 12, 2003, 6:30:46 PM12/12/03

David Horne wrote:

> Frank McQuarry <fmcq...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > In the US, people, (white people, anyway), often will ask about your ancestry,
> > meaning where in europe are your ancestors from.
>
> I've often noticed that some (white) americans say something like "I'm
> half scottish, half german," usually referring to the ancestry of their
> grandparents or even further back.

I think it's largely a leftover from the days when most everyone here was an
immigrant from somewhere or the child of an immigrant. Also, here in Minneapolis,
(and every US city), entire neighborhoods are associated with nations in Europe,
(and sometimes Asia). In NE Minneapolis, (where I grew up), it was known for being
Polish, Russian, Latvian and Ukrainian, with a small part known as Little Italy. We
don't really have a Chinatown here, but we do have areas that are very Vietnamese
and Hmong. Currently, we are growing areas (around Cedar and Lake) that are very
Somalian, as well as a very fast growing Latino population.

Michael Sarris

Dec 12, 2003, 7:52:43 PM12/12/03
Dennis Lewis wrote:

> Then there's ABC Family -- ABC may welcome a chance to unload that
> white elephant. Of course, the buyers would inherit that obligation to
> air Pat Robertson's "700 Club" every night, but what could be better
> -- sandwich Pat between Al Franken and Molly Ivins.

That would be perfect, but the new status quo isn't so bad.
It seems like every time we surf past ABC Family, they're
showing "The Object of My Affection". (We've noticed it
being shown at least eight times.) Or a Cher concert.
Pat must have an ulcer by now.

Michael, now it's a different kind of "family"
--
Michael Sarris -- mundumugu at hotmail dot com
"Left my wife and family

Michael Sarris

Dec 12, 2003, 7:52:51 PM12/12/03
Mike McKinley wrote:
> David Horne wrote:
>
>> DRS <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> Hardly. I was disappointed, of course, but not devastated. Do you
>>> want a
>>> detailed list of Australia's dominance over England in every major sport
>>> (except soccer, last February - Aus 3 d Eng 1 - notwithstanding)?

>> Oh, please. As I said before, I'm not English, and even if I was, I just
>> don't think I'd care.
>

> I wouldn't give a snipped marsupial foreskin for all the sports on
> Earth.

Not even synchronized swimming?

Michael, stroke, stroke, stroke

--
Michael Sarris -- mundumugu at hotmail dot com

"Different strokes, for different folks
My own religion is in my song"
-- Laura Love, "Bad Feeling"

Christian Hansen

Dec 13, 2003, 4:16:30 AM12/13/03

Rugby and football (soccer) too. Anyone in the UK who moves from England to
Wales, Northern Ireland, or Scotland is eligible to vote in local and regional
elections, serve on local juries, and the like. Am I Scottish if I move to
Edinburgh? (My grandfather was born in Scotland, though he wasn't really
Scottish, as his dad was Danish and his mother English...)

I am American. I am also British (jokes about Marmite aside...). I have an
American accent, so am often mistaken for a tourist (which is mildly
annoying). My vocabulary, however, is increasingly British (jokes about
biscuits aside). What am I?

Chris "Mongrel comes to mind..." Hansen
--
Chris Hansen | chrishansenhome at btinternet dot com
Kevin: "I'm trying to decode the phrase: 'your one-stop suppository'."
Jess: "Perhaps it's innuendo?"
Kevin: "Not in *my* endo it isn't."

David Horne

Dec 13, 2003, 5:37:15 PM12/13/03
Jess Anderson <ande...@wisc.edu> wrote:

> Frank McQuarry:
> >David Horne:
>
> >>I do get [] a sense of homecoming [] everytime I go north of

> >>the border from England. It's just a question of identity on a

> >>personal level []
>
> >[Minnesota is] where I was born and raised, and no matter where

> >I live it will always be home.
>

> I was astounded, the first time I went to Scotland (especially
> in the Highlands), by an uncanny feeling of home. I'm distantly
> descended from Vikings (pillagin' and layin' waste to the
> Hebrides, dontcha know), but still...

I go to Orkney quite a bit, and until a century ago, I'd reckon most of
the islanders had pretty direct Viking connections. (There's even a
Norwegian Consulate in Kirkwall!) Well, my mum is Norwegian, so I
probably have a similar desendency, though there's plenty of that in the
UK already.

> Though I was born and raised in Illinois, I get zero sense of
> home there. For me, Wisconsin is It.

That's interesting. Of course, "home" is where you want to make it,
isn't it? Still, it's hard to explain the odd feeling I get the minute
I'm on a train and I hear a lot of Scots accents...

Frank McQuarry

Dec 13, 2003, 7:52:16 PM12/13/03

Jess Anderson wrote:

> Frank McQuarry:
> >David Horne:
>
> >>I do get [] a sense of homecoming [] everytime I go north of

> >>the border from England. It's just a question of identity on a

> >>personal level []
>
> >[Minnesota is] where I was born and raised, and no matter where

> >I live it will always be home.
>

> I was astounded, the first time I went to Scotland (especially
> in the Highlands), by an uncanny feeling of home. I'm distantly
> descended from Vikings (pillagin' and layin' waste to the
> Hebrides, dontcha know), but still...
>

> Though I was born and raised in Illinois, I get zero sense of
> home there. For me, Wisconsin is It.

Considering you left Illinois at a pretty young age, and I left
Minnesota very near to 40 years old, it's probably no surprise.

Pillage away.

Frank McQuarry

Dec 14, 2003, 2:35:38 PM12/14/03

Jess Anderson wrote:

> Of course, we have in common kinship with the upper Midwest,
> which I call the Northern Interior: open, laid-back, easy-going
> and fully accustomed to recreational drug use, especially for
> outdoor enjoyment.

A round of pickled herring for everyone!

Chris Ambidge

Dec 15, 2003, 11:12:32 AM12/15/03
[whatzizname in australia]

further to the English win and loud-mouth Australians finding that
difficult, having predicted otherwise:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/funny_old_game/3320445.stm

ailuropoda melanoleuca torontonensis