"Unmasking the female predator"

Society

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
"ANDRAS" <a@b.c> wrote in message
news:MPG.12c89eed9...@news1.qc.sympatico.ca...

> Unmasking the female predator
> Patricia Pearson
> National Post
>
> The fantasies of the criminal were vile: to stalk
> and kidnap a teenage girl, to rape and torture her,
> to dispose of her like garbage. We'll finish her,"
> the criminal noted smugly in a diary.
>
> They sounded like the fantasies of a typical
> sexual sadist, whose utter contempt for women
> lies at the heart of feminist critiques of male sexuality.

As if Catherine Mackinnon didn't have "utter contempt
for men" in her own sick way...

You posted a very useful clipping from Canada's National
Post, Andras. Thanks. The web address for the source
of that Friday, November 5 article is URL:
http://www.nationalpost.com/commentary.asp?f=991105/119673.html

Recently, a pop feminist tried to indulge in some
man-bashing by birth group with some crack about
"Show me the woman who is comparable to...".
Well, the truth is out there -- feminists just keep
their eyes shut and the pilot light of their brains
turned off.

---
Men are OK people.

ANDRAS

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99

Unmasking the female predator
Patricia Pearson
National Post

The fantasies of the criminal were vile: to stalk and kidnap a
teenage girl, to rape and torture her, to dispose of her like garbage.
We'll finish her," the criminal noted smugly in a diary.

They sounded like the fantasies of a typical sexual sadist, whose
utter contempt for women lies at the heart of feminist critiques of
male sexuality.

But lo and behold, they were scripted by a woman, one Crystal
Henricks of Willow River, B.C., who was convicted last April of
drugging and raping at least 22 victims, recording her adventures on
videotape, and her fantasies in her diary, along with her husband, James
Bennett.

The 20-year-old Henricks narrowly averted an application by the Crown
that she be declared a dangerous offender, on the basis that she is a
sexual predator, and, as such, a danger to our children.

The Crown faltered, I would suspect, because we live in a culture
that can barely acknowledge robust female sexual desire, let alone the
presence amongst us of female sexual predators. Nasty desires in women
have to be the fault of a man. Or blame it on impressionable youth (not
that male teens get any such break), or on mental illness, on depression,
childhood abuse, on something. Just not on libido, nor taste for the
thrill, nor on a will to power.

I was reminded of this by the latest self-righteous antics of l'il
Miss Psychopath Karla Homolka, who appears to have received self-esteem
boosts galore in prison, but not, as far as I can discern, anything
approaching comprehensive sex offender treatment.

As I recall, having had to sit through that horrible, nervous-
breakdown-making hell of a trial, Homolka was not exactly shoplifting
when she broke the law. Sexual power was the name of the game she was
playing, legitimate, illicit and murderous, and to think she'll just walk
away from that toxic addiction is so naive it makes me cry.

But what can we do to reassure ourselves about that? Nothing. That's
why news of her request to slink off into a Montreal halfway house
triggers such an alarm. Do we know if she has her sexual impulses under
control? Do we know if she can keep her paws to herself? Is her
proclivity for serial rape intrinsic to her sexuality, or not? How would
we know?

We wouldn't have a clue. Male sex offenders are subjected to all
sorts of sophisticated tests that measure "deviant sexual arousal"
and help prison officials determine their fitness to leave institutions.

Female sex offenders, according to Dr. Eva Chow at Toronto's Centre
for Addiction and Mental Health, are instead given therapy on a case-by-
case basis, usually to address "situational factors" such as abuse and
depression.

To find a test that actually measures female deviance, I had to call
as far afield as Texas. A treatment facility in Garland is pioneering
programs that take female sex offences seriously, and has developed
equipment to measure their levels of arousal when exposed to different
stimuli. "Canada's not doing a whole lot with their women sex offenders,"
Maria Mollett, head of the Counselling Institute of Texas, told me.
"We're finding that the research is totally outdated. The profession has
allowed women to get away with it by treating them like victims.
Bullshit. That's not what we're seeing. They have deviant sexual
arousal."

Mollett gave me some examples of how the women she's treating
actually think about sex with, for instance, young boys. "I saw his
c--- ," one woman said in response to a displayed photo, "and I wanted to
f--- him."

Studies of male paedophiles and rapists have shown that, when they
themselves were sexually abused as children, roughly half were molested
by women. Yet the notion that women can be sexual aggressors, capable of
objectifying those they desire, and desiring them deviantly, is so
politically incorrect, not to mention unpleasant, we have barely begun
this sort of research.

We see female teachers arrested for sexual abuse of their students.
We know there are female stalkers. We have a study, from 1996, in which
42% of a sample of New Jersey female college students reported being
sexually aggressive with men.

But these are just glimpses. Much of the landscape remains hidden.
You don't find what you don't seek.

"Have you ever heard of a woman arrested for exposing herself?" I
remember one sex offence expert asking. "No, because female
exhibitionists become topless dancers." And the deviance, which is
watching, is attributed to men.

####

"Henricks narrowly averted an application by the Crown that she be
declared a dangerous offender". Hmmm. Did her husband and co-perpetrator
averted the application? No word about the sentences, either. (Karla
Homolka got 12 years for two instances of 'manslaughter' and for
contributing to the death of her own sister; Paul Bernardo, her husband
and co-perpetrator, got life.)

Andras
----
"Truth does not penetrate the preoccupied mind" - Ch. Darwin