She Killed His Son but He Must Pay Her Alimony By Glenn Sacks

dd...@bellsouth.net

Nov 28, 2007, 5:00:25 AM11/28/07
Glenn Sacks
She Killed His Son but He Must Pay Her Alimony
November 26, 2007 at 2:28 pm · Filed under Vox Populi

Examples of decent, loving dads being manhandled by the anti-father
family law system are legion, but this one has to make the Top 10. A
recent New Jersey appeals court reaffirmed a decision mandating that a
man must pay alimony to his ex-wife--who killed their son. From Legal
tussle: Should killer get alimony? (Bergen Record, 11/22/07):

"A state appeals court on Wednesday refused to automatically bar
alimony from spouses who kill a child...The decision was issued in the
case of Linda Calbi, who is serving a three-year prison term after
pleading guilty to beating her son, Matt, on Aug. 17, 2003, during a
violent argument at their home. He died hours later from internal
bleeding and cardiac arrest...

"Linda Calbi was originally charged with murder, but the charges were
later downgraded to aggravated assault, based on expert reports that
medical error contributed significantly to the boy's death. She was
sentenced last year to three years in prison and won't be eligible for
parole until November 2008.

"The Calbis were divorced in 2001 after 15 years of marriage. A few
months after Matt's death, Chris Calbi fell behind on his alimony
payments and filed papers in court seeking a reduction or termination
of his payment obligations.

"'She took the life of her oldest son, scarred her younger son for the
rest of his life, and tore the fabric of my soul from me,' Chris Calbi
wrote in papers filed in Superior Court in Hackensack. 'To reward this
evil and violent woman by allowing her ... to derive a financial
benefit from the family she destroyed ... can only be described as a
perversion of our justice system.'"

Chris Calbi had been paying Linda $3,183 a month until her
incarceration, and may be saddled with that amount when Linda is
paroled. Chris is pictured with his deceased son Matthew and his
surviving son Dean above. A few comments:

1) Chris Calbi claimed that Linda abused and assaulted him during
their marriage, at times employing a kitchen knife and a hammer. The
death of the son is discussed in Typical teen meets a tragic end
(Bergen Record, 8/20/03), and Linda Calbi sounds like a real
sweetheart:

"As [Christopher Calbi's] company - Robert Christopher Sales - grew,
[Christopher] was increasingly away in Europe on business, Linda Calbi
said in divorce papers. Though they shared fine dinners, and
Christopher Calbi showered his wife with gifts, a physical and
emotional distance developed between Matthew's parents, her papers
say.

"Linda Calbi said in the papers that she felt like 'a highly paid
slave.'

"Christopher Calbi countered that his wife subjected him to 'profanity-
laced tirades and ridicule.'"

2) From the same article:

"The couple split in 1999 and - after 15 years of marriage - divorced
in July 2001.

"Meanwhile, Matthew was having problems at school, said a woman who
worked in the River Vale school system.

"When Matthew was in the special education program at Holdrum Middle
School, he regularly came to class with bruises, said the woman, who
declined to be identified. The teen always had an excuse for the marks
- he was playing with his younger brother, or he fell, the woman said.

"But in April 2002, the woman noticed a strange bruise on Matthew's
wrist, one she thought looked like a defensive wound. She asked Matt
to explain, but he couldn't, she said, so she called DYFS to report
the mark.

"As part of the special education program, Linda Calbi met routinely
with educators to review her son's performance.

"But when Calbi showed up, she often smelled of booze, the woman said.
'You could light the air on fire, she smelled so badly,' the woman
said.

"Linda could not understand why her son wasn't more successful in
school.

"'She was very forceful when she spoke. Nothing was ever her fault,
and of course she was at her wit's end,' the woman said."

3) The father now has to raise the surviving son, Dean, age 12, on his
own. Is Linda being asked to pay child support? Isn't Chris' ability
to provide for Dean negatively impacted by having to pay alimony to
the noncustodial parent?

4) Chris also needs to save his money--Linda may be out of prison in
less than a year and will be fighting for visitation rights to Dean.
In July, 2006, a judge ordered a supervised visitation between Dean
and his mother, contingent on the boy's acceptance.

5) Linda apparently received a lesser charge and sentence for her
crime because supposedly there was medical bungling by the hospital
after she assaulted her son which contributed to Matthew's death. How
much of her light sentence is due to the alleged medical bungling and
how much is just the standard female sentencing discount is unclear.

6) It's amazing some of the things that an attorney will say. Linda's
attorney, Ian Hirsch, said:

"'Mr. Calbi is using his son's death to take away any obligations he
has,' Hirsch said. 'I think he's trying to take advantage of a tragedy
and turn it around to his economic benefit.'"

Yup--dad not wanting to pay money to the woman who killed his son is
"taking advantage of a tragedy and turning it around to his economic
benefit." Bad dad--how could he be so rotten?

7) Can you imagine a judge ordering a woman to pay alimony to the ex-
husband who murdered her child? In fact, California has a recent law
which created a presumption that a victim of domestic violence should
not be required to pay support to a violent spouse.

8) Once again we see the link between family violence and substance
abuse. Misguided feminists often downplay this link because it
contradicts the feminist Duluth/"domestic violence is a function of
the patriarchy" family violence model.

The new court decision by the Superior Court of New Jersey's Appellate
Division can be seen here.

A recent CNN report on the case can be viewed here.

J. Keeper

Nov 28, 2007, 6:25:44 AM11/28/07
> Once again we see the link between family violence and substance
> abuse. Misguided feminists often downplay this link because it
> contradicts the feminist Duluth/"domestic violence is a function of
> the patriarchy" family violence model.

Feminists are not only misguided. They are selfish, evil, and should
be executed without trial.

Society

Nov 28, 2007, 6:44:50 PM11/28/07

<dd...@bellsouth.net> reported in message

> Glenn Sacks
> She Killed His Son but He Must Pay Her Alimony
> November 26, 2007 at 2:28 pm · Filed under Vox Populi
>
> Examples of decent, loving dads being manhandled
> by the anti-father family law system are legion [...]

This very article about the Linda Calbi child-killer case
by Glenn Sacks was brought to this happy little news group's
attention almost two days ago by MCP under the title
"She Killed His Son but He Must Pay Her Alimony".
See:

<http://groups.google.com/group/soc.men/msg/9e96c78d158db42c>

Folks who read this newsgroup via Usenet can search
through their previously downloaded posts using the
string "She Killed His Son" or look for message-id
<YOO2j.2330$EU1....@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>
to find MCP's earlier post of Glenn Sacks' column.

Comments on the Linda Calbi outrage probably ought
to be left with MCP's earlier post on the topic in this
news group or posted with Glenn Sacks' article on
his blog (which already has over 35 comments, many
of them excellent):

<http://glennsacks.com:80/blog/?p=1461>

--
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations,
pursuing invariably the same Objects

United States Declaration of Independence

spate...@cox.net

Dec 3, 2007, 1:47:06 PM12/3/07
On Nov 28, 3:44 pm, "Society" <Soci...@feminism.is.invalid> wrote:
> <dd...@bellsouth.net> reported in messagenews:5d94cf97-3e92-43be...@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

> > Glenn Sacks
> > She Killed His Son but He Must Pay Her Alimony
> > November 26, 2007 at 2:28 pm · Filed under Vox Populi
>
> > Examples of decent, loving dads being manhandled
> > by the anti-father family law system are legion [...]
>
> This very article about the Linda Calbi child-killer case
> by Glenn Sacks was brought to this happy little news group's
> attention almost two days ago by MCP under the title
> "She Killed His Son but He Must Pay Her Alimony".
> See:
>
> <http://groups.google.com/group/soc.men/msg/9e96c78d158db42c>
>
> Folks who read this newsgroup via Usenet can search
> through their previously downloaded posts using the
> string "She Killed His Son" or look for message-id
> <YOO2j.2330$EU1.1...@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>

> to find MCP's earlier post of Glenn Sacks' column.
>
> Comments on the Linda Calbi outrage probably ought
> to be left with MCP's earlier post on the topic in this
> news group or posted with Glenn Sacks' article on
> his blog (which already has over 35 comments, many
> of them excellent):
>
> <http://glennsacks.com:80/blog/?p=1461>
>
> --
> But when a long train of abuses and usurpations,
> pursuing invariably the same Objects
> evinces a design to reduce them
> under absolute Despotism, it is their right,
> it is their duty, to throw off such Government,
> and to provide new Guards for their future security
>
> United States Declaration of Independence

The "no fault state" is the part I have the most problem with.
You come home, your wife is having sex with 2 men in your bed. I then
want a divorce and I have to pay her alimony? Effectively rewarding
her!
Hummm, not good!

In this case of the mother killing her son, also outrageous!

More reading:
then-receives-alimony.aspx">Mother Kills son and then receives
alimony</a>

spate...@cox.net

Dec 3, 2007, 1:48:49 PM12/3/07