A Man Finds God

Masculist

Aug 27, 2008, 1:34:21 PM8/27/08
Almost this exact same thing happened to me in 1989 but it was over an
upcoming divorce and not cancer...yet. My episode happened in the
mountins backpacking and not a city street like Joe here...

Smitty

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080823/NEWS10/808230343

A month after the move, Mr. Eszterhas was diagnosed with throat
cancer. Doctors at the Cleveland Clinic removed 80 percent of his
larynx, put a tracheotomy tube in his throat, and told him he must
quit drinking and smoking immediately.

At age 56, after a lifetime of wild living, Mr. Eszterhas knew it
would be a struggle to change his ways.

One hot summer day after his surgery, walking through his tree-lined
neighborhood in Bainbridge Township, Mr. Eszterhas reached a breaking
point.

"I was going crazy. I was jittery. I twitched. I trembled. I had no
patience for anything. … Every single nerve ending was demanding a
drink and a cigarette," he wrote.

He plopped down on a curb and cried. Sobbed, even. And for the first
time since he was a child, he prayed: "Please God, help me."

Mr. Eszterhas was shocked by his own prayer.

"I couldn't believe I'd said it. I didn't know why I'd said it. I'd
never said it before," he wrote.

But he felt an overwhelming peace. His heart stopped pounding. His
hands stopped twitching. He saw a "shimmering, dazzling, nearly
blinding brightness that made me cover my eyes with my hands."

Like Saul on the road to Damascus, Mr. Eszterhas had been blinded by
God. He stood up, wiped his eyes, and walked back home a new man.

Rob

Aug 28, 2008, 8:44:38 AM8/28/08
On Aug 27, 6:34 pm, Masculist <MASCUL...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Almost this exact same thing happened to me in 1989 but it was over an
> upcoming divorce and not cancer...yet. My episode happened in the
> mountins backpacking and not a city street like Joe here...
>
> Smitty
>
> http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080823/NEWS10/808...

> A month after the move, Mr. Eszterhas was diagnosed with throat
> cancer. Doctors at the Cleveland Clinic removed 80 percent of his
> larynx, put a tracheotomy tube in his throat, and told him he must
> quit drinking and smoking immediately.
>
> At age 56, after a lifetime of wild living, Mr. Eszterhas knew it
> would be a struggle to change his ways.
>
> One hot summer day after his surgery, walking through his tree-lined
> neighborhood in Bainbridge Township, Mr. Eszterhas reached a breaking
> point.
>
> "I was going crazy. I was jittery. I twitched. I trembled. I had no
> patience for anything. … Every single nerve ending was demanding a
> drink and a cigarette," he wrote.
>
> He plopped down on a curb and cried. Sobbed, even. And for the first
> time since he was a child, he prayed: "Please God, help me."
>
> Mr. Eszterhas was shocked by his own prayer.
>
> "I couldn't believe I'd said it. I didn't know why I'd said it. I'd
> never said it before," he wrote.
>
> But he felt an overwhelming peace. His heart stopped pounding. His
> hands stopped twitching. He saw a "shimmering, dazzling, nearly
> blinding brightness that made me cover my eyes with my hands."
>
> Like Saul on the road to Damascus, Mr. Eszterhas had been blinded by
> God. He stood up, wiped his eyes, and walked back home a new man.

The thought of a greater being and a greater purpose can have a
substantial positive effect on our lives, as here.

But how do we square this with the overwhelming evidence that no such
benign things really exist?

The brain's sanity-protection module gets in the way!

The Archbishop of Canterbury had a chance to address this issue in
Richard Dawkins' recent TV series on Darwin, but he blew it. He's as
clever a man as you'll find, I guess, so the best answer currently
must be that we are condemned either to depression in adversity or
perpetual hypocrisy. Take your choice.

What a piece of work is man, eh?

--
Rob
There's no gender equality without paternal certainty and full 50/50

Andrew Usher

Aug 28, 2008, 9:33:32 AM8/28/08
1. you are a dishonest prick
2. you don't know how to conduct a rational argument
3. you don't know much of anything
4. you are completely worthless to men

Andrew Usher

ProfQ

Aug 29, 2008, 4:59:09 PM8/29/08

Well spoken, Andrew! From someone who is exactly and precisely the same.

MORON!

Masculist

Aug 29, 2008, 5:27:10 PM8/29/08

Now boys please, this is a thread on God and here you are battling
with your lame ego's.

Tom

Masculist

Aug 29, 2008, 5:47:01 PM8/29/08