Public knowledge of radar technology prior to war

Jukka Raustia

Aug 20, 2006, 8:36:20 PM8/20/06
This link might be of interest, it's an article in October issue of Modern
Mechanix dating from 1935 explaining use and workings of a primitive
radar for aerial surveillance. While I have known some radar experiments
were published prior to Second World War, for example in case of radar
onboard French liner "Normandy" (iceberg detection device) I did not
realize even aerial surveillance possibilities were discussed.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/05/26/very-early-radar/

-Jukka Raustia

weasel

Aug 21, 2006, 2:06:55 PM8/21/06
I am very surprised to see a War Department (Army) "release" mentioned,
as the US Army and Navy kept their developments secret from each other,
not to mention the public. It's too bad the article did not refer to
more details.

I am aware of French and Soviet "barrier" airplane detectors using omni
directional transmitters and receivers (it could tell when a 'plane was
flying over an array, but not much else, and was useless if there was
any "friendly" traffic to clutter things up), but not any German, and
certainly not at the ultra-short wavelengths mentioned (no useful power
levels were available until 1940). I have no idea if the French one
was made public.

The computational processing required to direct anti-aircraft fire from
omni arrays was WAY beyond the state-of-the-art in the 1930's, and is
STILL not possible in real time, AFAIK.

Cheers,
Wes

Takata

Aug 28, 2006, 4:01:19 PM8/28/06
weasel a écrit :

> I am aware of French and Soviet "barrier" airplane detectors using omni
> directional transmitters and receivers (it could tell when a 'plane was
> flying over an array, but not much else, and was useless if there was
> any "friendly" traffic to clutter things up), but not any German, and
> certainly not at the ultra-short wavelengths mentioned (no useful power
> levels were available until 1940). I have no idea if the French one
> was made public.

You may find something interesting about it here:
http://www.radarworld.org

FuMG, "Funkmessgeraet," "Freya" radar. Eight Freya radar units were
deployed along the western German border in 1938. This was the first
operational radar systems. The Freya and Seetakt radars were built by
the GEMA company and over 6,000 units were used during WWII. Harry von
Kroge has written an excellent book titled, "GEMA: Birthplace of German
Radar and Sonar." Available in English from the Institute of Physics.

S~

Geoffrey Sinclair

Aug 30, 2006, 1:40:33 AM8/30/06
"Takata" <takat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> http://www.radarworld.org
>
> FuMG, "Funkmessgeraet," "Freya" radar. Eight Freya radar units were
> deployed along the western German border in 1938. This was the first
> operational radar systems. The Freya and Seetakt radars were built by
> the GEMA company and over 6,000 units were used during WWII. Harry von
> Kroge has written an excellent book titled, "GEMA: Birthplace of German
> Radar and Sonar." Available in English from the Institute of Physics.

RAF Bawdsley was working in March 1936, detecting aircraft at
15,000 feet at over 62 miles distance. In February 1937 the RAF
started its radar training school. The Dover radar station was
handed over to the RAF in May 1937, the one at Canewdon in
August 1937. All three stations took part in the RAF exercises
of August 1937. The results were treasury approval for a chain
of 20 stations given on 12 August 1937. There were 5 stations
operational a year later. After Munich the RAF moved to compulsory
acquisition of sites and round the clock construction. On good Friday
1939 the radar stations went to 24 hour watch.

The RAF also ordered IFF sets for its fighters after the 1937
exercises.

Bawdsley opened its experimental filter room in July 1937. The
one at Fighter Command opened in November 1938.

Simply put the web site claim should be amended to the first
German operational radar chain and should note it was not
integrated into the German air defence system. I note there is
another claim the radar stations being mainly Kreigsmarine were
in fact placed along the German coastal areas.

If you have a look at some of the claims in the books from the site it
does not fill you with confidence the radar claims are accurate.

Geoffrey Sinclair
Remove the nb for email.