Re: Sir Nicholas Harrington's wife

Douglas Richardson

Jul 22, 2010, 12:58:06 AM7/22/10
Dear Merilyn ~

Below is an account of Sir Nicholas Harington (died 1404) and his
wives, Isabel English and Joan (or Jennet) Venables. This should help
straighten out your pedigree.

+ + + + + + + +

1. ETHELRED II, King of England.

2. ELGIVA OF ENGLAND, married UCHTRED, Earl of Northumberland.

3. EALDGYTH OF NORTHUMBERLAND, married MALDRED FITZ CRINAN.

4. GOSPATRIC I, Earl of Northumberland, lst Earl of Dunbar, married
_____.

5. GRAVELDA (or GURWELDA, GIMILDA) OF DUNBAR, married ORM FITZ KETEL,
of Kelton and Salter, co. Cumberland.

6. GOSPATRIC FITZ ORM, of Workington, Kelton, and Salter, co.
Cumberland, married EGELINE (or ENGELINE) ENGAINE.

7. THOMAS FITZ GOSPATRIC, of Seaton (in Camerton), co. Cumberland,
married GRACE _____.

8. ALINE FITZ THOMAS, married WILLIAM DE FURNESS (or FLEMING), of
Aldingham (in Furness), Lancashire.

9. MICHAEL DE FURNESS (or FLEMING), of Aldingham (in Furness),
Lancashire, married AGATHA FITZ HENRY.

10. WILLIAM DE FURNESS, Knt., of Aldingham (in Furness), Lancashire,
married JOAN _____.

11. ALINE DE FURNESS, married RICHARD DE CANSFIELD, Knt., of
Cantsfield (in Tunstall), Lancashire.

12. AGNES DE CANSFIELD, married ROBERT DE HAVERINGTON (or HARINGTON),
Knt., of Harrington, co. Cumberland.

13. JOHN DE HAVERINGTON (or HARINGTON), Knt., 1st Lord Harington,
married JOAN _____.

14. JOHN DE HAVERINGTON (or HARINGTON), Knt., of Farleton (in
Melling), Lancashire, married KATHERINE BANASTRE.

15. NICHOLAS HARINGTON (or HAVERINGTON), Knt., Knight of the Shire for
Lancashire, Sheriff of Lancashire, master forester of Quernmore, co.
Lancaster, third son, born about 1344 (proved his age in 1365). He
was heir in 1361 to his older brother, Thomas Haverington, by which he
inherited the manors of Farleton (in Melling), Bolton-le-Moors, Heath
Charnock, Aighton, etc., co. Lancaster and Farleton in Kendale, co.
Westmorland. He married (lst) before September 1369 ISABEL ENGLISH,
daughter and heiress of William English, Knt., of Appleby, Little
Strickland, and Hasket, Westmorland, Knight of the Shire for
Westmoreland, by Margaret, daughter of Richard le Brun. She was born
about 1345. They had three sons, William, Knt., James, Knt., and
Nicholas, and five daughters, Isabel (first), Margaret (wife of
Richard Huddleston, Knt.), Agnes (wife of Richard Sherburne), Mary
(wife of John Redman), and Isabel (second). Isabel was co-heiress c.
1369 to her uncle, Robert le Brun, by which she inherited the manor of
Drumburgh (in Bowness), Bowness, Cardurnock, etc., and a one-third
share in the manors of Bothel (in Torpenhow), Beaumont, and
Brunskaith, co. Cumberland. In 1369 he went to Ireland in the retinue
of William de Windsor, Knt., where he fought for the next two years.
In 1373 he and William Curwen, knt. (husband of his wife’s aunt, Ellen
le Brun) caused major devastation on the estates at Beaumont, co.
Cumberland of Ralph de Dacre, Lord Dacre. In 1375 he was implicated
in the murder of Lord Dacre, for which action he was excommunicated by
the Archbishop of York. He married (2nd) before August 1397 (date of
fine) JOAN (or JENNET) VENABLES, widow successively of Thomas de
Lathom, Knt. (died 1382), of Lathom, Knowsley, and Huyton, co.
Lancaster, and Roger Fazakerley, and daughter of Hugh Venables, of
Kinderton, Cheshire. They had no issue. SIR NICHOLAS HARINGTON) died
shortly before 8 February 1404.

FDP...@aol.com

Jul 22, 2010, 1:23:36 PM7/22/10

Dear Douglas;

With regard to your pedigree sent to Merilyn, I have collected some
additional information which you might find interesting from our last
discussions re this family.

From your 5. GRAVELDA (or GURWELDA, GIMILDA) OF DUNBAR, married ORM

FITZ KETEL, of Kelton and Salter, co. Cumberland.

I suggest 6. Osulf of Flemingby father of 7.Robert Haverington
(Harrington) m. Christiana parents of 8.Thomas Harington father of 9.
Michael Harington father of 10.Robert Harington m. Agnes Canfield. I
offer the following evidences from my research.

From SGM archives:
(1) Gordon Kirkemo" (kir...@comcast.net) suggests “In CP Vol. VI,
page 314, the earliest Harington/Haverington identified is Robert
husband of Agnes de Cansfield, and father of John identified as the
first Lord Harington. In footnote "d" on page 314, it is suggested
that more of Robert's ancestry can be found at the following source:
"Reg. Of St. Bees (Surtees Soc.), p.117."
“From a tertiary source "Medieval English Ancestors of Robert Abell"
by Carl Boyer, 3rd, I have a possible ancestry. Mr. Boyer cites "The
Harington Family" by Ian Grimble as his source.
1. Robert de Haverington/Harington d. 1297, married Agnes de
Cansfield, Lady of Aldingham.
2. Michael Harington was of Haverington, Cumberland (Boyer).
3.
4. Thomas Harington was said by Grimble to have probably lived at
Harrington (Boyer).
5.
6.
7.
8. Robert of Harrington was called Robertus de Hafrinctuna in a grant
to the Priory of St. Bee's of a church and two hides of land. His
wife Christiana was mentioned as his advisor in the grant (Boyer).
9. Christiana (Boyer)
16. Osulf of Flemingby of Cumberland made a grant of land to the
Priory of Carlisle "eighty years after Magnus Barelegs perished in
Ireland" [Grimble, 19]. He flourished during the time of Richard I,
who reigned from 1189 to 1199 (BOYER).

(2) Kay Allen AG (all...@pacbell.net) provides: Walter L. Sheppard in
his work on Carleton takes the Harringtons back to Ketel fitz Eldred
and cites Moriarty Notebooks XIII:92 and XIX:59. He also cites VCH
Lancs. III:171; V:246; VIII: 202, 324,232,413 for Osulf down to Robert
who married Agnes Cansfield.
16. Usulf, Ld. of Flimby and Harington.
32.Orm, thegn of Flimby, d. c. 1135/40.
33. Gunhilda.
64. Ketel.
66. Gospatric, d. 1074
67. sister E. Northumberland.
128. Eldred.

(3) Chris Phillips (c...@medievalgenealogy.org.uk) reports on Subject:
Re: Early Haringtons in Cumberland; message thread in Newsgroups:
soc.genealogy.medieval Date: 2003-10-07 11:31:53 PST in response to
Gordon Kirkemo’s question above: The ancestry given in CP's source
agrees with what you had from Carl Boyer, but goes no further.
A footnote on pp. 116, 117 of Rev. James Wilson, ed., "The Register of
the Priory of St Bees" (Surtees Society vol. 126, 1915), says this
about a charter (No 88) of Robertus de Hafrinctuna, "cum consilio
uxoris mee Cristiane":
"The grantor appears to have been the second lord of Harrington whose
name has been preserved. The pedigree on the Plea Roll of 1277 (De
Banco R. No. 21, m. 43d) furnishes a useful table for the early
descents of this family, all of whom except Osulph appear as grantors
or witnesses in this Register. It is as follows:-
OSULPH
[son:]
ROBERT DE HAFRINCTUNA (No. 88)
[sons:]
ADAM d. s.p. [and] THOMAS
[son of Thomas:]
MICHAEL
[son:]
ROBERT DE HAVERINGTON (No. 89)
Osulph, sometimes called Aculf, held the lands in Flimby which
Gospatric son of Orm gave to the priory of Carlisle - "totam terram
quam Aculfus de eo tenuit iuxta Flemyngeby inter duas valles." The
grants of Gospatric to the monks of Holmcultram and the claims of the
Harringtons, the descendants of Aculf, form an interesting series of
deeds in the Register of that House."
No 89 is a charter of Robertus de Haverington dated 3 November 1292.
1189-1199ca Osulf of Flemingby of Cumberland made a grant of land to
the Priory of Carlisle "eighty years after Magnus Barelegs perished in
Ireland" [Grimble, 19]. He flourished during the time of Richard I,
who reigned from 1189 to 1199. “Medieval English Ancestors of Robert
Abell" by Carl Boyer.

Additional Sources:
(1) From Ian Grimble "The Harington Family" page facing page 19: the
Pedigree. Osulf of Flemingby father of Robert (of Harrington) m.
Christiana parents of Thomas Harington father of Michael Harington
father of Robert Harington m. Agnes , dau. of Sir Richard Cansfield of
Aldington parents of John, first Lord Harrington of Aldingham,
1281-1347 m. Joan, ? dau. of Sir William Darce.
Weis in Ancestral Roots 8th edition Has John b. 1281

FDP Note: I prefer the 29 years per generation vice the Richardson
rule of 85 for 3 generations. Both place Osulf as younger brother to
Gospatric who we have agreed in the past b. 1101-1110, nominally 1105
from SGM discussions certainly reasonable for an Orm m. Gunhilda
marriage ca1100.

(2) Ancestry and Descendants of William Harrington or Herrington.
1718-1794 p. 2. Cutter, Geneological and Personal Memoirs, Vol 3, p.
1423: "Robert lost all but about 350 acres of the Manor of Flemingby
in litigation with the Abot of Holme Cultram, whose lands were north
of the Manor. He married Agnes, sister and heir of Robert De
Cancefield, Daughter of sir Robert De Cancefield and Alice, sister and
heir of Sir Michael Le Fleming of Aldinham. Robert secured the rich
manor of Aldingham on Morcambe Bay, Lancashire from Agnes' brother
Robert. They moved south to that location during the reign of Edward
1. (1272-1307) They had two sons, John and a younger son Robert."

(3) Ancestry and Descendants of William Harrington or Herrington.
1718-1794 p. 2. "Osulf is mentioned during the reign of Richard I
(1189-99). He was the holder of the Manor of Flemingby which was
located on the Cumberland coast just north of the town of Harrington.
The village of Flimby now marks the site of his residence and the
hamlet which surrounded it. He was mentioned as making a gift of land
to the Priory of Carlisle. Osulf appears about a century after the
Norman Conquest of England began in 1066." Robert De Haverington: This
is the first appearance of a surname. Robert was referred to as De
Haverington, probably referring to where he lived. No dates have been
found regarding this ancestor. He married Christiana, heiress of the
Seaton lands which bordered the Manor of Flemingby. This fact is
recorded in the Register of St. Bees; "I, Robert of Hafrincton, with
the consent of my wife, Christiana, have granter to God and Saint
Mary, to Saint Bege of Coupland and the Monks living there, the Church
of Hafrincton and duabus bovatis of land." A duabus bovatis of land is
the amount that a pair of oxen could plow in two days or about two
acres. The church is the Old Harrington Parish Church which has since
been repaired and partially rebuilt.

(4) From the Internet (sigh) http://www.sawyer-family.org/sawyer1/i3732.htm:
“Ulf (Orsulf, or Aculf) de Haverington, spouse unknown, had son Robert
de Haverington. The first Lord Haryngton. Orsulf held lands in Flimsby
which Gospatric [FDP Note: his probable brother] of High Ireby gave to
the prior of Carlisle. The town of Harrington is about four and a half
miles from Whitehaven in Cumberland. This place was the inheritance
and gave the name to the ancient and baronial family of Haryngton. At
a later date the manor came into the possesion of the Curwen family.
The arms of the family of Haryngton bear the famous "Haryngton Knot":
Sable, a Fret Argent. Inasmuch as the Curwen arms are: Argent, Fretty,
Gules, and those of the Ireby family are: Argent, Fretty, and a
Canton, Sable, it is evident that these three families have a common
ancestry, as, in fact, we know to be the case. Culwen (Curwen or
Curwin), Ireby, Workington, Haryngton, and Radclifffe all go back to
the Barons of Kendal.” (FDP Note: I have established this Ulf (Orsulf,
or Aculf) is also known as Osulf de Preston-Richard, ancestor of the
Preston line.)

(5) Also from the Internet (gasp) quite independent from my own
research; "Some Fabulous Pedigrees." This site represents the lifetime
work of Wallace K Penrose for family history purposes.
http://www.penrose.org/getperson.php?personID=I55091&tree=penrose
1 Osulf Fitz Orm b. Abt 1108 2 Uchtred de Preston b. Abt 1140 d.
Abt 1208 3 Richard de Preston b. Abt 1170 d. Aft 1220 Erneburga le
Fleming b. Abt 1172 4 Richard de Preston b. Abt 1198 d. Bef 1256
2 Robert Fitz Osulf b. Abt 1145 d. Aft 1200 Christine of Workington
3 Thomas de Haverington, Lord b. Abt 1180 d. Abt 1240 4 Michael de
Haverington, Lord b. Abt 1241 d. 21 Apr 1287
1. Osulf Fitz Orm was born Abt 1108 (son of Orm Ketel, Baron and
Gunnilda or Aethelreda Dunbar). Children: i.Uchtred de Preston was
born Abt 1140; died Abt 1208. ii.Robert Fitz Osulf was born Abt 1145,
of Harrington; died Aft 1200.
2. Orm Ketel, Baron was born Abt 1074, Of Seaton (son of Ketel, Baron
Kendal); died Abt 1138.
3.Lady Gunnilda or Aethelreda Dunbar was born Abt 1070, of Dunbar,E-
Lthn,Scotland (daughter of Cospatric I of Dunbar, Eof Northumberland &
1st Eof Dunbar and Aethelreda Princess of England).Children: i.1.
Osulf Fitz Orm was born Abt 1108. ii.Cospatrick of Workington, Lord
was born Abt 1110, of High Ireby; died 1179.
4.Ketel, Baron Kendal was born Abt 1048 (son of Edred of Workington,
Lord); died Aft 1125.Children: i.2. Orm Ketel, Baron was born Abt
1074, Of Seaton; died Abt 1138.

(6) Rosemary Horrox, ‘Harrington family (per. c.1300–1512)’, Oxford
Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004
[http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/54525, accessed 18 Nov 2005]
"Harrington family (per. c.1300–1512), magnates, claimed descent from
Osulf, whose son was a benefactor of St Bees Abbey, Cumberland, in the
reign of Richard I [1189-1199]. The family was originally of Flimby,
Cumberland, and acquired Aldingham, Lancashire, in the late thirteenth
century through the marriage of Robert Harrington to Agnes, daughter
of Richard Cansfield and heir of her childless brother William. As
well as Aldingham, which became the home of the main family line,
Agnes brought the Harringtons Tunstall, Westmorland, and Farleton,
Lancashire. The son of Robert and Agnes, John Harrington, first Lord
Harrington (c.1281–1347), was a minor at his father's death in 1297
and his wardship was granted for five years to William Dacre. To judge
by the heraldry on their tomb in Cartmel Priory church, John's wife,
Joan, was Dacre's daughter. John was an adherent of Thomas, earl of
Lancaster, receiving a pardon in 1313 for his complicity in the death
of Piers Gaveston. But he avoided Boroughbridge, and was serving under
Andrew Harclay on the Scottish border in June 1322. Harclay's disgrace
the following year brought Harrington's outlawry, but he submitted and
was pardoned, and in 1326 received a personal summons to parliament,
by which he is deemed to have become the first Lord Harrington."

I am reminded of a quote you made in a previous joust on SGM: “The
passage of the lands which formed Gravelda of Dunbars' maritagium to
Gospatric Fitz Orm is excellent evidence that Gospatric was Gravelda's
son. Frankly, I wished such evidence existed for every medieval
problem we discussed here on the newsgroup. It would make things much
easier for all of us. As it stands, this one is a walk in the park.”
Source: Douglas Richardson; Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval; Local:
Tues, Nov 29 2005 2:31 am; Subject: Re: Gospatric Fitz Orm's mother,
Gravelda of Dunbar.

It appears there was first two areas called Preston before Domesday,
among other areas divided amongst family, which Orme inherited from
his father Ketel which were at one time the posessions of Ivo
Taillebois. Orme then apparently divided the two Prestons and gave
half to his son Gospatric who passed to son Thomas who passed to son
Patric de Culwen and this portion was known as Preston Patrick. The
other half of Preston was given to Orme's probable younger son Osulf
who we know as Osulf of Preston Richard father of Uchtred de Preston
father of Richard de Preston and this land once known as Preston
Ughtred became known as Preston Richard. Originally these lands were
the fief of Ivo de Taillebois and apparently passed through Beatrice,
his daughter, to her husband Eldred (2nd wife) and then to Eldred's
son Ketel by 1st wife Aldgytha. That part of Kendal, which was Ketel’s
as “third Baron Kendal” [Farrer believes there was no Barony of Kendal
prior to 1189], from Ivo's fief, passed as Ketel’s gift to his nephew
William I de Lancaster “4th Baron Kendal” son of Gilbert who married
Goditha de Taillebois, daughter of Eldred and Beatrice, daughter of
Ivo de Taillebois who apparently retained the Taillebois name and
passed it to William I their son who changed his name by king’s
licence from Taillebois to Lancaster. It appears that Ketel
relinquished the Kendal lands to his nephew William de Lancaster I,
and gave to his son Orm and descendants the lands in the vacinity of
Kendal. Orm also held lands from Waltheof’s marriage gift to his
sister Gunhilda. The land ultimately called “Barony of Kendal” was
given to Gilbert Fitz Reinfred who married Hawsie, daughter of William
de Lancaster II, by the king for services. William de Lancaster I
exchanged Workington and Lambaugh with his half cousin once removed
Gospatric, son of Orme, for land in Middleton [near Kendal].

Warm Regards,
Dix Preston

hsone

Jul 22, 2010, 10:51:11 PM7/22/10
I regret that I do not have access to the information at the present,
but I believe that a fairly recent article by MichaelAnne Guido places
Gospatrick FitzOrm d. 1179 and his brothers as children of his father
Orm FitzKetel's other wife Ibrea de Trevers of Burgh-by-Sands,
Cumberland, daughter of Robert de Trevers.

Ibrea was also wife of Ranulf de Engaine.

Please check out Foundations I:6 (July 2006), pp. 395-403.

HS

Douglas Richardson

Jul 23, 2010, 3:03:03 AM7/23/10

The article by Ms. Guido has some problems. I do not recommend it.
Ibrea de Trevers was the wife of Ranulph de Engaine, but not Orm Fitz
Ketel. Orm Fitz Ketel's wife was Gravelda of Dunbar as I stated in my
post. This matter has been discussed at length in the past here on
the newsgroup. The discussion is available in the newsgroup archives.