Scatliffe family of the British Virgin Islands

SLG

Dec 20, 2007, 12:35:05 AM12/20/07
I'm looking for members of the Scatliffe family of the British Virgin
Islands. My great great grandmother's maiden name was Laura Agnes
Scatliffe, unfortunately I don't have her DOB. She married John
Charles Todman, their daughter was Theodocia Valeria Todman
1894-1980. Who were Laura's her parents?

Spring

Dec 20, 2007, 2:13:41 AM12/20/07
to cari...@rootsweb.com, SLG
A quick response, before going to bed!
As you probably know, both Scatliffe and Todman are long-established,
common names in the BVI.
The 1798 Tortola Plantation Map shows three estates owned by Thomas
Todman and a Mrs Scatliffe growing sugar on another one, while there
were three Scatliffes and a Todman living in the African Location in
Kingstown in 1831. The current BVI white pages lists 47 Scatliffe and 40
Todman subscribers.
You really need to do some research in Tortola if you can, as BVI
records are scattered around various offices. The General Civil Registry
holds records from 1859 onwards. I shall e-mail you a list of "Sources
of BVI Family Records" compiled by The Archives Unit in the Deputy
Governor's Office. The Public Library may hold a booklet produced for
the funeral of Theodocia Valeria Todman if she was buried here. They are
often excellent sources of family history.
Good luck!

Peter Moll
East End
Tortola
BVI

Spring

Dec 20, 2007, 2:20:29 AM12/20/07
to Rootsweb: Caribbean <caribbean@rootsweb.com>, SLG

kerry coppin

Dec 20, 2007, 2:02:01 PM12/20/07
to cari...@rootsweb.com
I too am looking for information regarding the Scatliffe family . . . My
grandmother was born Othelia Scatliffe . . . I am attaching a copy of the
Hodge family Reunion, July 31 - August 16, 1988 (documentation was too large
to attach to this correspondence - this is the 2nd time I am sending). It
shows documentation of Amanda Elnora Hodge, married to Joseph Scatliffe (in
1899). However the name you are looking for is not shown on this family
tree, and I am NOT sure that I have come across it in my searches. I was in
Tortolla during the summer of 2006, and did some searching through the
national arhives. I plan another trip, as I am now better prepared and have
some leads of what I should be looking for. It is surprising, because the
1798 plantation map of Tortolla shows one very small sugar plantation being
owned by a Mrs. Scatliife, that there are so many scatliffe's still residing
in Tortolla. But a Luther Scatllife is known for having 23 children with
his wife and mistresses . . . - I can't identify him along my famly tree,
although I am told that ALL Scatliife's are related, and that there ARE
three ain branches of the Scatliffe family. I actually met with Dr. Vincent
Scatliffe, one of Luther's sons during my trip to Tortola . . .

In any event, I would love to talk to you, if you should find it desirable,
to share my information and to learn what you have dicovered . . .

Sincerely,

Kerry Stuart Coppin
Associate Professor of Visual Art
Associate Professor of Africana Studies

Brown University
Department of Visual Art
Box 1861
Providence, Rhode Island 02912

List Art Center
64 College Street
Providence, Rhode Island 02912

Phone: 401. 863. 1076
Fax: 401. 863. 1680
E-mail: kerry_...@brown.edu
Website: www.kerrycoppin.com

Emanuel, Yvonne E CIV USA AMC

Dec 20, 2007, 2:11:20 PM12/20/07
to cari...@rootsweb.com
THIS IS EXCITING... I am so happy for you guys... I see a brealthrough
coming.. your ancestors are at work...

Yvonne

Sincerely,

kerry coppin

Dec 20, 2007, 9:38:30 PM12/20/07
to cari...@rootsweb.com
Peter,

Hi, how you? We corresponded briefly, a little over a year ago, concerning
my search for information about the Scatliffe's in Tortola. You were indeed
very helpful in pointing me in the direction of the 1798 plantation map of
Tortola. I was able to locate, and identify on Google Earth, the site of
"Mrs. Scatliffe's" plantation . . . The difficulty is that the site is only
listed as "Mrs. Scatliffe's", causing difficulty in making further
identification . . .

I was however able to identify Simon Scatliffe, who "bought the [Mount
Healthy Windmill] mill from Augustus McClevity . . ." in 1872. This is the
same Simon Scatliffe who is my Great, Great Grandfather. I was able to
determine this from the 1899 marriage record of his son (my great,
grandfather) John Joseph Scatliffe (referred to as captain John) in the
Methodist church, in Road Town.

I am writing on this occasion as I have had opportunity to read your
correspondence identifying łthree Scatliffes and a Todman living in the
African Location in Kingstown in 1831 . . .˛ Is there any information on
those Scatliffeąs that I would be able to gain access to? How would they
come by that name? Were they in anyway associated with "Mrs. Scatliffe's"
plantation?

When I visited Tortolla in summer 2006 I met with Dr. Vincent Scatliffe of
Peebles Hospital. He was quite helpful, but had no knowledge of Simon
Scatliffe or how my branch of the family interfaced his ­ except to say that
ALL Scatliffes were related. I am curious because I can identify a link with
my grandmother Othelia Scatliffe and Antonio Scatliffe. An old, old bible,
belonging to my grandmother, Othelia Scatliffe, was inscribed from her łdear
cousin . . . Antonio Scatliffe . . .˛ This told me that Antonioąs father
should be the, or one of the, brothers of Captain John Joseph Scatliffe.
And, I was able to find the grave of Antonio Scatliffe in the Methodist
Church cemetery (but not the grave of Amanda ­ Captain Johnąs wife).

In any event, I found your citation of łthree Scatliffes and a Todman living
in the African Location in Kingstown in 1831 . . .˛ very provocative. One
thing I cannot figure out is how did Simon Scatliffe come to have the funds
to make purchase of the Mount Healthy Windmill? And, also, how did his son
John Joseph come to be a sea captain. This is particularly perplexing as I
have come to think that they were in some way associated with "Mrs.
Scatliffe's" plantation (which is located very near to the windmill).

Is it possible that Simon Scatliffe is descendent from one of the three
Scatliffes living in the African Location in
Kingstown in 1831? How would those persons come to have the Scatliffe name?
I think I mentioned in previous correspondence that my great, grandmother,
Amanda, was a Hodge. It makes sense that there are so many Hodges when you
see the 17 or 18 Hodge estates listed on the 1798 Plantation Map of Tortola.
But Mrs. Scatliffes plantation is one of the smallest on the map ­ I could
not account for the number of Scatliffeąs who are still presently living in
Tortola. Is it possible that there were a significant Scatliffe population
outside of Huntums Ghut?

Well any insight that you have will be very welcome . . .

Sincerely,

On 12/20/07 2:13 AM, "Spring" <spr...@surfbvi.com> wrote:
Kingstown

> Kingstown

kerry coppin

Dec 20, 2007, 9:43:33 PM12/20/07
to cari...@rootsweb.com
Dear Peter,

Hi, how you? We corresponded briefly, a little over a year ago, concerning
my search for information about the Scatliffe's in Tortola. You were indeed
very helpful in pointing me in the direction of the 1798 plantation map of
Tortola. I was able to locate a copy of the map, and identify on Google

Kerry Stuart Coppin

Associate Professor of Visual Art
Associate Professor of Africana Studies

Brown University
Department of Visual Art
Box 1861
Providence, Rhode Island 02912

List Art Center
64 College Street

On 12/20/07 2:20 AM, "Spring" <spr...@surfbvi.com> wrote:

> A quick response, before going to bed!
> As you probably know, both Scatliffe and Todman are long-established,
> common names in the BVI.
> The 1798 Tortola Plantation Map shows three estates owned by Thomas
> Todman and a Mrs Scatliffe growing sugar on another one, while there

> were three Scatliffes and a Todman living in the African Location in

> Kingstown in 1831. The current BVI white pages lists 47 Scatliffe and 40
> Todman subscribers.
> You really need to do some research in Tortola if you can, as BVI
> records are scattered around various offices. The General Civil Registry
> holds records from 1859 onwards. I shall e-mail you a list of "Sources
> of BVI Family Records" compiled by The Archives Unit in the Deputy
> Governor's Office. The Public Library may hold a booklet produced for
> the funeral of Theodocia Valeria Todman if she was buried here. They are
> often excellent sources of family history.
> Good luck!
>
> Peter Moll
> East End
> Tortola
> BVI

SLG

Dec 20, 2007, 9:56:06 PM12/20/07
Here is some information that was shared with me about a Scatliffe the
other day. I wish I had more to share with you. Did you get my
email?

Re: Scatliffe Family
angeliaweekes_usvi (View posts) Posted: 16 Dec 2007 4:58PM GMT

Classification: Query
Surnames: SCATLIFFE, NIBBS, CALLWOOD

Sarah,

Anna Scatliffe was my husband's g-grandmother. See below:

Anna Scatliffe
b.1892 Tortola, BVI
d.1994 St.Thomas, USVI
Parent: Frances Callwood
Siblings: Unknown
Spouse: James Archibald Nibbs
Children: Diana, Constancia, Henrietta, Etalia, Ina,
Camelita,Lillian,James,Cardinal,Delbert, Maxwell, Obel, and Raymouth
Nibbs

Good luck on your search:-)

Spring

Dec 23, 2007, 11:24:59 AM12/23/07
to cari...@rootsweb.com, kerry coppin
Hi Kerry

Thanks for getting in touch. I am glad you made a productive trip to Tortola
I will send you the names and addresses of the three Scatliffes living
in Kingstown in 1831 as soon as I have found them again, but they
probably derived the name from the master(s) (in Mrs Scatliffe's
family?) to.whom they had been apprenticed (see below). There may have
been other, unrelated, Scatliffes who had been slaves on Tortola before
the "Liberated Africans" arrived.

"Liberated Africans

Although the slave trade was abolished on 1 May 1807 by virtue of the
Slave Trade Act 1807, vessels which sailed before that date could under
certain circumstances trade until 1 March 1808. Any vessels seized under
the 1807 and subsequent acts for illegally carrying slaves were taken as
prizes, the master was fined and the slaves became forfeited to the
crown. Slaves became government property and many were enlisted into the
Royal Navy or the army, especially the West India Regiments and the
Royal African Corps.

The trials of illegal slavers were held at Vice-Admiralty courts in
Africa, Havana, Rio de Janeiro and the West Indies including Tortola. ..
(That) court heard so many cases and so many Africans were released from
illegal slavers that the island could not cope with the numbers freed.
To remedy this situation the Colonial Office transferred the
Vice-Admiralty court to Antigua, which could cope with the extra
population, and considered transporting the liberated Africans to
Trinidad; it is unknown if any did go."

(The Newsletter of the Archives and Records Management Unit, June 2007)

"The liberated Africans were offered the opportunity to serve in the
military on larger islands; an opportunity that many accepted. However,
a number stayed and settled in the Territory. They were made to serve an
"apprenticeship" of 14 years, after which they were absolutely free. In
1828 they were given certificates of freedom, so as not to be confused
with enslaved Africans.
However, the problem of relocating the new arrivals arose and a decision
had to be made as to where to settle them. In 1831 the area now known as
Kingstown, on Tortola, which was then uninhabited, was put aside and
subdivided, and each newly freed African was allocated a plot of land
where they could build a house and grow provision crops".

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Phillip%27s_Church%2C_Tortola>

The BVI Archives Unit is gradually acquiring from The UK National
Archives microfilms of the plans of the Settlement, lists of settlers,
deeds, leases and related correspondence.

Best wishes

Peter (Moll)

East End
Tortola
BVI

kerry coppin wrote 20/12/2007:
> Peter,
[snip}

> I am writing on this occasion as I have had opportunity to read your
> correspondence identifying łthree Scatliffes and a Todman living in the
> African Location in Kingstown in 1831 . . .˛ Is there any information on
> those Scatliffeąs that I would be able to gain access to? How would they
> come by that name? Were they in anyway associated with "Mrs. Scatliffe's"
> plantation?
>
> When I visited Tortolla in summer 2006 I met with Dr. Vincent
Scatliffe of
> Peebles Hospital. He was quite helpful, but had no knowledge of Simon
> Scatliffe or how my branch of the family interfaced his ­ except to
say that
> ALL Scatliffes were related

.[snip}

It makes sense that there are so many Hodges when you see the 17 or
18 Hodge
estates listed on the 1798 Plantation Map of Tortola. But Mrs.
Scatliffes

plantation is one of the smallest on the map. ­ I could not account

vmmc...@gmail.com

May 20, 2013, 4:13:34 PM5/20/13
Please pardon my intrusion. I have just come across Scatliffes from the 1700s in England while researching a relative of theirs, John Newton, and wondered if this may be of interest to you...

Simon Scatliff (b. 1668)
Simon, a mathematical instrument maker of Paul’s Wharf London, was John Newton’s grandfather. He had four children—John, Simon, Samuel, and Newton’s mother Elizabeth. In the marriage register Elizabeth’s maiden name was written as Seatliffe. The Scatliff family came from a long line of mathematical and scientific instrument makers.
http://www.westminster.coresense.com/pdf_files/newton_disgrace2amazing.pdf
(Use Control and F to do a search for Scatliff)

"England Marriages, 1538–1973 ," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NL4Y-MJ4 : accessed 20 May 2013), John Newton and Elizabeth Seatliffe, 24 Sep 1724.

Chris Codrington

May 20, 2013, 5:33:11 PM5/20/13
to cari...@rootsweb.com
Would like to thank the poster of this message for the link to the material on Newton...

Chriscod

Please pardon my intrusion. I have just come across Scatliffes from the 1700s in England while researching a relative of theirs, John Newton, and wondered if this may be of interest to you...

Simon Scatliff (b. 1668)
Simon, a mathematical instrument maker of Paul's Wharf London, was John Newton's grandfather. He had four children-John, Simon, Samuel, and Newton's mother Elizabeth. In the marriage register Elizabeth's maiden name was written as Seatliffe. The Scatliff family came from a long line of mathematical and scientific instrument makers.
"England Marriages, 1538-1973 ," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NL4Y-MJ4 : accessed 20 May 2013), John Newton and Elizabeth Seatliffe, 24 Sep 1724.
The Caribbean List now has a Resources Page at Historic Antigua and Barbuda http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/

angelinej...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2018, 1:03:43 PM2/25/18
Hello. My great grandmother is Theodocia Valeria Todman. She married and was a Farrington. My grandmother is Delita Farrington