Barbados wills: JONES

Ernest Wiltshire

Mar 14, 2001, 9:20:18 AM3/14/01
[All Will Extracts from Sanders, Barbados Records, Wills & Administrations
Vol. I, 1639-1690]
JONES, Philip Gent. of Bdos heretofore of Carellion in Co. Momouth. 20 Aug
1652, RB6/13, p.99.
Gr ch Ann Morgan at 14; Luce Watkins servant to my wf; dau Alice Jones &
isue; plantation in All Saints Parish; eldest son William Jones & issue; son
John Jones & issue; goods aboard ship Great Charles of Bristol; Alice Barnes
& John Barnes; to be paid them from sending of them for England; son Giles
Jones; wf Ann Jones & son Richard Jones - Xtrs; CApt. Wm. Sandiford, Henry
Milze esq. & son Thomas Jones - Overseers. signed Philip Jones.
Wit: William Sandiford,Lister Lemon, Alex Morgan

JONES, Thomas, carpenter. St. James Parish, 2 June 1651, RB6/11, p.503
Wf Olivia Jones; son Thomas Jones at 16; fa Patrick Jones & bro in law Gyles
Hall - Overseers. signed thomas Jones
Wit: Peter Malpas, Richard (x) Greening
Proved 28 May ____, Recorded 16 June 1653

JONES, Thomas. St. Thomas Parish, 1 Sep 1657, RB6/13, p.200.
Wf Ann Jones - Xtrx; only son John Jones under age; only dau Mary Jones at
marriage; dau in law Ann Wood at 13; friend Catherine Williames; friends
Capt. Thomas Hales & Lt. John Isaack - Overseers. signed Thomas (x) Jones
Wit: Robert Guile, Thomas Arnold, Somersett Darbye
Proved 2 Feb 1657

("dau-in-law-" may mean step-daughter, which could mean that Thomas's wife
Ann had been previously married to a WOOD)EW

JONES, Thomas. St. Peters All Saints Parish, 29 Dec 1664, RB6/15, p.360.
Son Benjamin Jones in Gibsham College in Bishopsgate St., London; kinsw Ann
Jones, dau of bro Gilles Jones decd; Luce Watkins of Milion, Co. Monmouth,
late servant to my mo decd; bro in law Thomas Hamersley; friend Jno:
Wattkins; son Thomas Jones at 21 - Xtr; kinsman Wm: Sandyford Esq, Giles
Hall, William Renell, & Morgan Lewis - Xtrs in trust. signed Thomas Jones
Wit: Thomas Hamersly, John Watkins
Proved 18 Jan 1664/5

JONES, Thomas. merchant, bound on voyage to sea. St. Peters Parish, 1 Aug
1678, RB6/14, p.10.
Kinsm John Hall & Robert Hall, sons of uncle Capt. Giles Hall Esq the eldeer
of Bdos & his wf; merchandise in Europe, Africa, & America; Jacob
Scantlebury & wf; John Foster Esq & wf; William Hall & Wf; Xtrs - John Hall
& Robert Hall. signed Tho. Jones
Wit: Robert Perrin, Robert Sober, John Watkins
Proved 13 Jan 1679

JONES, William, Gent. 17 Feb 1668/9, RB6/10, p.118.
To be buried in Parish church of St. Lucys; friend Jno: Davuies that now
dwelleth with me - land in St. Lucys bounding lands of Robert Browne, Owen
McFarlane, & Maurie Kelly; David Reade; Anne Hough, dau to Henry Hough;
David Harry that now dweleth with me; sis in law Anne Jones, relict of
Thomas Jones decd, John Davies to manage estate for sis in law; chn of bro
in law Thomas Williams: John Williams, Margarett Williams, & Hannah
Williams; Alice James, dau of Michaell James; friend David Morgan merchant -
Xtr in trust after the decease of sis Anne Jones. signed Will. Jones
Wit: Benjamin Wright, Sara (x) Wright, _organ (x) Wilson, Thomas Wright
Proved 22 Feb 1668/9

Christie Brown

Mar 15, 2001, 1:59:54 PM3/15/01
Teri

My ancestor Margaret WATERMAN was the wife of Humphrey Waterman of Barbados
(or one of the many Humphreys, anyway). This particular Humphrey moved his
family to the Philadephia area and died before 1694, with a houseful of
young children.

Margaret subsequently married a John JONES originally of Barbados who had
also moved to Philadelphia and lost a spouse. He died in 1708 in
Pennsylvania. I do not know of the ancestry of this John JONES although if
I recall correctly he appears in the 1670s-era census (I'll have to go dig
it up). There is no sure connection to YOUR 17th-century Joneses but I
though you might find it interesting.

BTW, John JONES was a Quaker, or at least he and Margaret's marriage was
documented in a Quaker meeting. Might have been a motivation for leaving
Barbados!

Christie

At 09:50 AM 3/15/01 -0800, you wrote:
>I want to sincerely thank everyone who responded to my plea for information
>regarding the JONES of Barbados. Although the Thomas Jones whom I thought I
>wanted turned out to be the wrong guy (we just made a bunch of his
>descendents very happy whereas I wept copious quantities of bitter tears), I
>did see something of interest in the Philip Jones will of 1652 (he came from
>a place in Wales which is within 12 miles of the spot that my Jones family
>is said to have been) and I suspect that all is not lost - I may have chosen
>the wrong guy but the right family. If so, dumb luck triumphs again! Now,
>I just need to find a grandson of Philip Jones with the name of Thomas and a
>desire to go to New London CT - this could still work for me<g>
>
>If anyone else has ever looked closely at that Jones family in Barbados, I'd
>love to know more about them.
>
>Teri

******

Christina L. Brown
Asst. Prof. of Marketing
University of Michigan Business School
701 Tappan Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1234
Phone: (734) 764-4717
Fax: (734) 764-3240
E-mail: clb...@umich.edu

******

Rex

Mar 15, 2001, 3:36:12 PM3/15/01
Christie and all,

Thank you - I'd love any information whatsoever about the early Jones
families in Barbados. This could turn out to be a completely fruitless
mission but if nothing else, I am definitely having a good time and if those
Jones don't belong to me, they do belong to somebody and therefore, deserve
to be found. A Quaker association is not out of the realm of
possibilities - my Jones had some unorthodox religious views (at least in
the eyes of the Puritan establishment of New England) and it seems possible
that had they been exposed to Quakerism (hmm - is that a word?), this would
have made the radical views of the "Rogerenes" of New London CT seem
attractive.

Teri

Rex

Mar 15, 2001, 12:50:17 PM3/15/01
I want to sincerely thank everyone who responded to my plea for information

mc...@jex.org

Mar 15, 2001, 6:03:46 PM3/15/01
Does anyone have information on the Quaker activities on Jamaica?

Michael L. Jex
Clan Stirling Online
mc...@jex.org
http://www.clanstirling.org

Rex

Mar 15, 2001, 8:41:19 PM3/15/01
Cod,

Oh geez! What a question - I hope you are really serious because for
starters, you can go to google and enter the search term "Rogerenes". This
will bring up several websites of interest that will explain this particular
religious group much better than I can and they are fascinating. My Thomas
Jones m Catherine Gammon were right in the middle of things - they were
arrested for "Rogerene activities - so far, I've found that they worked on
the Sabbath and were caught selling unapproved goods to the Native
Americans - suspect this was rum<g>. They also participated in protests
against the Puritan church - gotta love these guys - they actually had sit
ins - in the 1600s! I seem to remember that the leader of the Rogerenes,
John Rogers decided to baptize himself - this did not go over well.

Probably the most obvious difference is that they intermarried freely with
other races - they were vehemently opposed to slavery. In 1702, New London
CT, my 7th ggrandmother, Katherine Jones, a white woman, married Adam
Rogers, a mulatto, who had been an indentured servant in the household of
the Rogers family. His parentage is unknown but it is likely that he came
from the Caribbean since the Rogers family were bakers and apparently had
considerable business interests in Barbados. Their children married into
the neighboring white families, most of whom were Rogerenes as well and
eventually, down the line, they became Methodist and there is at least one
well known abolitionist in the line. In general however, Adam Rogers m
Katherine Jones' descendents are just your basic run of the mill Yankees - I
was quite surprised when I worked my way upline and found these wonderful
people.

Any thoughts that you might have would be helpful. Although it seems
fairly likely that Adam Rogers came from the Caribbean, I doubt if I shall
ever know his parentage but I can still hope for the Jones - sure do like
that big Jones family down there! I just need one of them to sashay up to
New London CT!<g>

Teri

Mar 16, 2001, 10:49:21 AM3/16/01
I would be pretty surprised if there were many Quakers in Jamaica. Quakers
were notorious for anti-slavery beliefs and did not last long in Barbados,
for example, once the economy changed over to sugar and a slave-based labor
system. (I believe my Waterman ancestors from Barbados may have left
because of Quaker beliefs, as their descendants were Quaker, but can't
prove it.) Quakerism in the New World in general dates only from the 1650s
and disappears within a couple of decades in the islands.

I would expect the same would be true in Jamaica, although there might have
been isolated members here and there.

Can anyone add anything to this?

cb

PS there is a Quaker genealogy list that you could also address this
question to as well, QUAKER-...@rootsweb.com.

Dorothy Kew

Mar 17, 2001, 3:38:23 PM3/17/01
I took a look at Madeleine Mitchell's book "Jamaican Ancestry: how to find
out more", and here's briefly what she has to say about the Quakers in
Jamaica:

"A small group of Quakers were early settlers of Jamaica from England,
particularly in St. Elizabeth, Westmoreland, Spanish Town and Kingston, and
are recorded from 1679 in Port Royal. Most of the Friends however left the
island for Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by 1749 and only a few references to
transferring lands kpreviously owned by Quakers were recorded up to the
1790s .... Minutes for the Meetings for Sufferings, Minutes of the Yearly
Meeting, Letters Received and Sent and as well as some miscellaneous papers
may be seen in the Society of Friends Library, London. More information on
the documents available in the above library, including pages and
volumenumbers, may be found in "Sources of Jamaican History 1655-1838 by K.
E. Ingram....
"American researchers who cannot make the connection between Pennsylvania
Quaker families and those in England might consider the possibility that
their families made a home in Jamaica before removing to the United States.
Any existing records would be in London, except for land patents and deeds
of landn sales that are in Jamaica. Burial grounds of Quakers in Jamaica
are menioned in the letters, but it is unlikely that any monumental
inscriptions survive in Jamaica".....p. 16-17.

Dorothy