Fw: Ancestry of Warren Buffet

Leo

May 31, 2009, 4:50:35 PM5/31/09
to Gen-Me...@rootsweb.com
Dear Will,

I have problems with one link in the (I am sure) better recorded segment of
this lineage.

If you go to CP Volume V pages 502 and 503
Start with 503
Fulk FitzWarine, born 12 April or 3 May 1389, son of Sir Fulk FitzWarine and
Elizabeth Cogan.

Elizabeth Cogan was aged 8 and more in 1382, my guess she was born before
1374 (but how much more?)
Her husband Fulk was born about 1362, and died aged 29 in 1391. Elizabeth,
without permission then married 11 February 1392/3 _as his first wife_ Sir
Hugh Courtenay. Elizabeth died 29 October 1397, Sir Hugh died 5 or 6 March
1424/5

Burke's Extinct Peerage 1866 page 141 gives Sir Hugh Courtenay, married (1)
Elizabeth Cogan, widow of Sir Fulk FitzWarine, she d.s.p. He married (2)
Philippa Archedechne, by her a daughter Joan (3) Maud Beaumont, by whom a
daughter Margaret Courtenay who married Sir Theobald Grenville.

If Sir Hugh's 1st wife Elizabeth Cogan died in 1397, how much time would it
have taken to marry a second time, father a child, marry a third time and
father Margaret who you show as born in 1377?

There are several publications that support the links, but a while ago
Louise Staley, sadly missed, advised me that according to her the surname of
Margaret married to Sir Theobald Grenville was uncertain. And also that
Theobald and Margaret had a son John born before 1360.

ES Volume XIV does not seem to add/change anything in the FitzWarine family.

I know I give Sir Hugh Courtenay four wives, Elizabeth Cogan as the second.
If you go to Douglas Richardson's "Plantagenet Ancestry" Page 240, you will
find Sir Hugh with his four wives, showing the fourth marriage took place,
licence 16 October 1417, which means Margaret you have born in 1377 has to
be born after 1417.
Richardson does mention but does not continue the daughter Margaret (married
to Sir Thebaud Grenville).

Hope this helps?
With best wishes
Leo van de Pass,
Canberra, Australia

May 31, 2009, 5:47:51 PM5/31/09

See the group archives for April and May 2001 for a discussion by
Louise Staley and others as to which Hugh Courtenay was the father of
Margaret who married Theobald Grenville. As Leo indicates, chronology
indicates that it cannot be the Hugh Courtenay mentioned in this
supposed royal descent for Warren Buffet.

Leo

Jun 1, 2009, 4:13:29 PM6/1/09
to Gen-Me...@rootsweb.com
Dear Will,

For correctness sake, how do you spell Buffet? You have Warren Buffet as the
son of Howard Homan Buffett ?
With best wishes,
Leo van de Pas,
Canberra, Australia

>I have put up a descent from Edward I, King of England to Warren
> Buffet here
>

> http://knol.google.com/k/will-johnson/ancestry-of-warren-buffet/4hmquk6fx4gu/122#view

> I'm not certain about all these connections yet. I have included some
> links to evidence on each line where I could find it.
>
> Will Johnson

PDel...@aol.com

Jun 1, 2009, 4:19:38 PM6/1/09
to leov...@netspeed.com.au, GEN-MED...@rootsweb.com
sideboard?

pg

Leo

Jun 1, 2009, 4:03:48 PM6/1/09
to Gen-Me...@rootsweb.com
Off list I have sent one line, but there are at least three.

Fred Chalfant certainly has found an interesting connection. Warren Buffet
is going to have some 3,680 ancestors on my website.

With best wishes

Leo van de Pas,
Canberra, Australia

> > I have put up a descent from Edward I, King of England to Warren
> > Buffet here
>

> >http://knol.google.com/k/will-johnson/ancestry-of-warren-buffet/4hmqu...

> > I'm not certain about all these connections yet. I have included some
> > links to evidence on each line where I could find it.
>
> > Will Johnson
>

> As pointed out by others, the John Drake descent is not valid. There
> is however another royal descent for Warren Buffet.
>
> Warren Buffet born 30 Aug 1930 in Omaha, Nebraska
> Leila Stahl born about 1904/5 in Cuming County, Nebraska
> Stella Frances Barber (1873-1960) married John Ammon Stahl
> Susan Ann Watson (1845-1899) married John Watson
> Deborah Collomore Pennell (1822-1854) married
> Thomas Pennell (1791-) married Rhoda Mallet
> Mary Cotton (1759-1818) married Stephen Pennell
> Thomas Cotton (1725-1781) married Agnes Smith
> Leonard Cotton (abt 1690-) married Hannah
> Rev. Thomas Cotton (1653-1730) married Bridget Hoar (1673-)
> Bridget Lisle (abt 1645-1723) married Leonard Hoar (abt 1630 1675)
>
> see RD600 and similar
>
> I find it amusingly ironic that someone�s royal descent should go
> through a regicide.
>
> Fred Chalfant

Could you extend the pedigree to Edward I for those of us who do not
have access to RD600?

mhol...@mac.com

Jun 1, 2009, 5:09:30 PM6/1/09
On Jun 1, 4:03 pm, "Leo" <leovd...@netspeed.com.au> wrote:
> Off list I have sent one line, but there are at least three.
>
> Fred Chalfant certainly has found an interesting connection. Warren Buffet
> is going to have some 3,680 ancestors on my website.
>
> With best wishes
> Leo van de Pas,
> Canberra, Australia

That's one ancestor for every $10 million he has. Pretty expensive
ancestry.

Leo

Jun 2, 2009, 3:23:13 PM6/2/09
to Gen-Me...@rootsweb.com

Jun 2, 2009, 7:11:25 PM6/2/09
On Jun 2, 12:23 pm, "Leo" <leovd...@netspeed.com.au> wrote:

>  ========  Dear John,
> Give Will time, he is only a little fellow.

Yes and I've had to spend two hours venting my spleen :)

http://knol.google.com/k/will-johnson/why-the-britannica-online-encyclopedia/4hmquk6fx4gu/246

Will Johnson