Common genetic threads link thousands of years of Jewish ancestry

samsloan

Jun 7, 2010, 8:40:06 AM6/7/10
This article, which first appeared in the Jerusalem Post, is entitled,
"Common genetic threads link thousands of years of Jewish ancestry"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100603123707.htm

The caption on this article states:"A new genomic study shows that
Jews are a widely dispersed people with a common ancestry."

Everybody on this group will know that this is a bunch of baloney and
religious nonsense.

If the Jews were all descended from one man, Abraham, as they claim,
who lived at the very most 3,000 years ago, then all Jews would belong
to the same Y-DNA haplogroup.

3,000 years, or 100 male line generations, is relatively recent in the
genealogical time frame.

They get around this by writing, ""Our study demonstrated that the
studied Jewish populations represent a series of geographical isolates
or clusters with genetic threads that weave them together,"

This is just a bunch of hocus-pocus, masquerading as science.

The fact that Jews are spread across almost the full range of DNA
types shown that this is nonsense.

Sam Sloan

B. Lafferty

Jun 7, 2010, 10:39:49 AM6/7/10
Sam, this does not belong posted to a chess group. Please stop.

Honest truth

Jun 7, 2010, 11:00:41 AM6/7/10
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 05:40:06 -0700 (PDT), samsloan wrote:

> If the Jews were all descended from one man, Abraham, as they claim,
> who lived at the very most 3,000 years ago, then all Jews would belong
> to the same Y-DNA haplogroup.

Except that the Y-DNA is patrilineally

--
About us

The Palestinian Zionist Organization is:
Against the lying and deceitfull activities of the terroristic Palestinian
Government led by Hamas and Fatah.
Against the lies that the Palestinians show the world media so the world
ALWAYS blames Israel!
Against the 'Land for Peace' policy forced by the USA and the UN. The only
thing that Israel receives in return for land are rockets send by Hamas and
Fatah. 'Land for Peace' is one big Palestinian lie!
Against a Palestinian State. This Palestinian State will become the most
terroristic state in the world! Official Hamas documents show that they
will only use every 'new inch of land' to destroy the nation of Israel.
Politics does not change the hearts of people!
Against the Palestinian child abuse by Hamas and Fatah who turn children
into suicide bombers.
Against the division of Jerusalem. The Palestinians will only use their
part of Jerusalem to terrorize the Jewish part of Jerusalem.

http://www.palestinianzionistorganization.com/

Joe Bruno

Jun 7, 2010, 12:08:35 PM6/7/10
On Jun 7, 5:40 am, samsloan <samhsl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This article, which first appeared in the Jerusalem Post, is entitled,
> "Common genetic threads link thousands of years of Jewish ancestry"
>
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100603123707.htm
>
> The caption on this article states:"A new genomic study shows that
> Jews are a widely dispersed people with a common ancestry."
>
> Everybody on this group will know that this is a bunch of baloney and
> religious nonsense.

> If the Jews were all descended from one man, Abraham, as they claim,
> who lived at the very most 3,000 years ago, then all Jews would belong
> to the same Y-DNA haplogroup.

All Jews do not claim this.
Only people ignorant of Jewish law would make such a claim.
Jewish law provides that anyone can become a Jew by conversion.
A convert many come from any racial group or any population group with
any genetic makeup.

My nephew's wife, my great nephew and great niece are all converts to
Judaism.

dsharavi

Jun 7, 2010, 12:31:25 PM6/7/10

Kol hakavod. What would shuls be without converts?

Deborah

drahcir

Jun 7, 2010, 1:25:23 PM6/7/10
On Jun 7, 8:40 am, samsloan <samhsl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This article, which first appeared in the Jerusalem Post, is entitled,
> "Common genetic threads link thousands of years of Jewish ancestry"
>
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100603123707.htm
>
> The caption on this article states:"A new genomic study shows that
> Jews are a widely dispersed people with a common ancestry."
>
> Everybody on this group will know that this is a bunch of baloney and
> religious nonsense.

You apparently don't understand the difference between religion and
genetics.

> If the Jews were all descended from one man, Abraham, as they claim,

You are one very confused person. The article is about GENETICS, not
RELIGION. No geneticist claims that Jews are descended from one man.
Can you please come back after you sleep it off?

> who lived at the very most 3,000 years ago,

Not that I care a whit about Abraham, but got a cite to support that?

then all Jews would belong
> to the same Y-DNA haplogroup.
>
> 3,000 years, or 100 male line generations, is relatively recent in the
> genealogical time frame.
>
> They get around this by writing, ""Our study demonstrated that the
> studied Jewish populations represent a series of geographical isolates
> or clusters with genetic threads that weave them together,"
>
> This is just a bunch of hocus-pocus, masquerading as science.
>
> The fact that Jews are spread across almost the full range of DNA
> types shown that this is nonsense.

You've obviously never read even one of the genetic studies on jews.
You are a loudmouth ignoramus who can't seem to distinguish religion
from genetics, something I could, with adequate rewards, teach my dog
to do.

> Sam Sloan

Joe Bruno

Jun 7, 2010, 1:41:51 PM6/7/10
> Deborah- Hide quoted text -

Ya niznayoo.( I don't know)

David Ames

Jun 7, 2010, 4:21:33 PM6/7/10
On Jun 7, 8:40 am, samsloan <samhsl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the Jews were all descended from one man, Abraham, as they claim,
> who lived at the very most 3,000 years ago, then all Jews would belong
> to the same Y-DNA haplogroup.

Sam, how old is the Hebrew calendar? Isn't it over 5700 years?

David Ames

norenxaq

Jun 7, 2010, 4:32:39 PM6/7/10
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
David Ames wrote:

>On Jun 7, 8:40 am, samsloan <samhsl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>If the Jews were all descended from one man, Abraham, as they claim,
>>who lived at the very most 3,000 years ago, then all Jews would belong
>>to the same Y-DNA haplogroup.

Abraham is believed to have live around 1800 BC, making this closer to
4000 years ago

>Sam, how old is the Hebrew calendar?

it was developed in the early centuries AD

> Isn't it over 5700 years?

only in terms of when its year 1 occurred

>David Ames

pj.evans

Jun 7, 2010, 9:12:00 PM6/7/10
On Jun 7, 5:40 am, samsloan <samhsl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This article, which first appeared in the Jerusalem Post, is entitled,
> "Common genetic threads link thousands of years of Jewish ancestry"
>
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100603123707.htm
>
> The caption on this article states:"A new genomic study shows that
> Jews are a widely dispersed people with a common ancestry."

[snipped]

> They get around this by writing, ""Our study demonstrated that the
> studied Jewish populations represent a series of geographical isolates
> or clusters with genetic threads that weave them together,"
>
> This is just a bunch of hocus-pocus, masquerading as science.
>
> The fact that Jews are spread across almost the full range of DNA
> types shown that this is nonsense.
>
> Sam Sloan

Another reference, for those people who are less ignorant of science:
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/59938/title/Tracing_Jewish_roots
which cites the original paper in _American Journal of Human Genetics_

and which DOES NOT say what Sloan is claiming it says.

rsh...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2010, 3:05:05 AM6/8/10
Didn't all of us non-Africans come from a group that was the first to
successfully leave Africa and which group contained only about 440
reproducing females? I thought I read that some place ... like
Discover magazine, maybe.

Old Haasie

Jürgen R.

Jun 8, 2010, 4:28:22 AM6/8/10

Neither does the article to which Sloan gave a link.

Whenever Sloan makes a factual claim it is much more likely
to be wrong than right.

The man is a bleating jackass.

jkh001

Jun 8, 2010, 7:18:43 AM6/8/10
On Jun 8, 1:28 am, Jürgen R. <jurg...@web.de> wrote:
> pj.evans wrote:
> > On Jun 7, 5:40 am, samsloan <samhsl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> This article, which first appeared in the Jerusalem Post, is
> >> entitled, "Common genetic threads link thousands of years of Jewish
> >> ancestry"
>
> >>http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100603123707.htm
>
> >> The caption on this article states:"A new genomic study shows that
> >> Jews are a widely dispersed people with a common ancestry."
>
> > [snipped]
>
> >> They get around this by writing, ""Our study demonstrated that the
> >> studied Jewish populations represent a series of geographical
> >> isolates or clusters with genetic threads that weave them together,"
>
> >> This is just a bunch of hocus-pocus, masquerading as science.
>
> >> The fact that Jews are spread across almost the full range of DNA
> >> types shown that this is nonsense.
>
> >> Sam Sloan
>
> > Another reference, for those people who are less ignorant of science:
> >http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/59938/title/Tracing_Jewish...

> > which cites the original paper in _American Journal of Human Genetics_
>
> > and which DOES NOT say what Sloan is claiming it says.
>
> Neither does the article to which Sloan gave a link.
>
> Whenever Sloan makes a factual claim it is much more likely
> to be wrong than right.
>
> The man is a bleating jackass.

Now, now. Jackasses don't bleat. The Sloon should properly be
described as a _braying_ jackass, or a bleating _ovine_.

Jürgen R.

Jun 8, 2010, 9:18:40 AM6/8/10
jkh001 wrote:

Actually, he is a Dung Beetle.

None

Jun 8, 2010, 11:02:50 AM6/8/10
On Jun 8, 9:18 am, Jürgen R. <jurg...@web.de> wrote:

> > Now, now. Jackasses don't bleat. The Sloon should properly be
> > described as a _braying_ jackass, or a bleating _ovine_.
>
> Actually, he is a Dung Beetle.-

That would explain why he didn't wash his hands after changing his
daughter's shitty diaper.

raylopez99

Jun 9, 2010, 4:43:50 AM6/9/10

Where you get this shit? You just make up this shit don't you?

RL

None

Jun 9, 2010, 2:12:15 PM6/9/10

No asshole, I was there as were 50 other people. How come you weren't
there?

sd

Jun 9, 2010, 3:44:17 PM6/9/10

Evidently, for all his other shortcomings, Senor Lopez seems to
understand that staying out of USCF politics helps to preserve your
mental health.

SBD

raylopez99

Jun 9, 2010, 5:08:18 PM6/9/10
On Jun 9, 9:12 pm, None <joeschm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No asshole, I was there as were 50 other people. How come you weren't
> there?

You crazy or what? Why would I and 49 other people care to watch Sam
Sloan change his daughter's dirty diapers? Besides I thought his
daughter is an adult now.

You're one sick psycho SOB.

RL

None

Jun 9, 2010, 7:18:08 PM6/9/10
On Jun 9, 5:08 pm, raylopez99 <raylope...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You crazy or what?  Why would I and 49 other people care to watch Sam
> Sloan change his daughter's dirty diapers?

Maybe because your mother was busy.

> Besides I thought his daughter is an adult now.

And your point is...?

> You're one sick psycho SOB.

What do you base that on skatah head?

lostcopper

Jun 9, 2010, 10:30:41 PM6/9/10

No. There were certainly many migrations out of Africa. There is no
way to know who the "first" migrants were. Fossil & other evidence
suggests that the earliest people out of Africa are probably the
ancestors of indigenous Australians, other Melanesians, & pockets of
people in Indonesia. Also the ancestors of modern indigenous Africans
certainly migrated around, off & back onto the continent at various
times. When we look at our deepest ancestry, we are all Africans.

lostcopper

Jun 9, 2010, 10:32:09 PM6/9/10
> described as a _braying_ jackass, or a bleating _ovine_.- Hide quoted text -

Quite off the subject, but a neighbor's donkey made a wonderful alarm
clock for me a few years back.....the term "bray" does not do it
justice. No word does it justice.

taf

Jun 10, 2010, 12:04:24 AM6/10/10

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Please do not carry on this discussion simultaneously
in 5 different newsgroups.

taf

samsloan

Jun 10, 2010, 4:39:55 AM6/10/10

Many migrant groups left Africa over the last nearly one million
years. However, it may be that the descendants of only 440 women
survive today outside of Africa through their mtDNA.

For example, Charlemagne (742-814) had thousands of descendants
including probably all of us. However, his Y-DNA did not survive. All
of his family lines had "daughtered out" within a few generatons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlemagne#Family

It is just a question of probabilities. Some people produce only
daughters and their Y-DNA dies out, or they produce only sons and
their mtDNA dies out.

Were it not for mutations almost everybody alive today would have the
same Y-DNA and the same mtDNA.

Sam Sloan

micky

Jun 10, 2010, 2:43:15 PM6/10/10
raylopez99 wrote:

> On Jun 9, 9:12 pm, None <joeschm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > No asshole, I was there as were 50 other people. How come you weren't
> > there?
>
> You crazy or what? Why would I and 49 other people care to watch Sam
> Sloan change his daughter's dirty diapers?

The entire-point. People of the Sloan ilk believe "it" their
constitutional "right" to monster "others" with "in-your-face"
disgustments..

m.

ChessFire

Jun 10, 2010, 3:25:39 PM6/10/10

> disgustments..

isn't that a Tueschenism?

Phil

micky

Jun 10, 2010, 4:40:23 PM6/10/10
ChessFire wrote:

> > disgustments..
>
> isn't that a Tueschenism?

Thought it an Innesianism - but there-you-go, shows "our" influences -
no ?

.

None

Jun 10, 2010, 9:44:32 PM6/10/10

Maybe douchenism

Merilyn Pedrick

Jun 10, 2010, 9:58:19 PM6/10/10
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com, samsloan
For a comprehensive understanding of this issue, read "Out of Eden, the
Peopling of the World", by Stephen Oppenheimer. Wonderful stuff. It seems
that everyone on the planet descends from just one "Mitochondrial out of
Africa Eve" and her Adam who left Africa in one wave of emigration. There
had been many such emigrations before but all had failed for various reasons

Some of my more conservative friends and relatives are not thrilled to learn
that we're all related to everyone who didn't remain in Africa!!

Merilyn

> > Didn't all of us non-Africans come from a group that was the first to

> > successfully leave Africa and which group contained only about 440

> > reproducing females? I thought I read that some place ... Like

> > Discover magazine, maybe.

> > Old Haasie

> No. There were certainly many migrations out of Africa. There is no

> way to know who the "first" migrants were. Fossil & other evidence

> suggests that the earliest people out of Africa are probably the

> ancestors of indigenous Australians, other Melanesians, & pockets of

> people in Indonesia. Also the ancestors of modern indigenous Africans

> certainly migrated around, off & back onto the continent at various

> times. When we look at our deepest ancestry, we are all Africans.

Many migrant groups left Africa over the last nearly one million

Years. However, it may be that the descendants of only 440 women

Survive today outside of Africa through their mtDNA.

For example, Charlemagne (742-814) had thousands of descendants

Including probably all of us. However, his Y-DNA did not survive. All

Of his family lines had "daughtered out" within a few generatons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlemagne#Family

It is just a question of probabilities. Some people produce only

Daughters and their Y-DNA dies out, or they produce only sons and

Their mtDNA dies out.

Were it not for mutations almost everybody alive today would have the

Same Y-DNA and the same mtDNA.

Sam Sloan

.

The Historian

Jun 11, 2010, 8:28:38 AM6/11/10

This was at an EB meeting, wasn't it?

lostcopper

Jun 11, 2010, 10:55:27 AM6/11/10
> taf- Hide quoted text -

Sorry - I should have noticed how widely it was distributed but failed
to do so.

None

Jun 11, 2010, 10:57:38 AM6/11/10

Yes, in New Windsor. There was a meeting at the old building then an
offical meeting at a hotel near the Thruway entrance. Upon leaving the
old building Sam asked Al Lawrence for a ride and Al replied -- No
ride for Sammy. I don't know how Sam got to the hotel but he did. You
see, our Scammy hasn't been able to afford a car or the auto insurance
for decades.

None

Jun 11, 2010, 10:59:19 AM6/11/10
> > Especially soc.genealogy.medieval where all your nonsense goes
> > directly into people's email boxes because it is linked to an email
> > group.
>
> > Sam Sloan
>
> Sam Sloan complaining about cross-posting? Like a British Petroleum
> CEO complaining that someone spilled a few drops of oil on his shirt.-

Exactly, you reap what you sow. And speaking of nonsense... isn't that
Sam's middle name?

micky

Jun 11, 2010, 4:38:04 PM6/11/10
None wrote:
.

> Upon leaving the
> old building Sam asked Al Lawrence for a ride and Al replied -- No
> ride for Sammy.
.

Isn't the sub-text here that 'Al' was concerned about 'shit-stains' to
his car's interior - Schmo ? ..

.

None

Jun 11, 2010, 7:48:46 PM6/11/10
On Jun 11, 4:38 pm, micky <mi...@adamsky.blu.net.com> wrote:

> Isn't the sub-text here that 'Al' was concerned about 'shit-stains' to
> his car's interior - Schmo ? ..

No

RayLopez99

Jun 17, 2010, 1:46:42 AM6/17/10
On Jun 7, 8:25 pm, drahcir <justrichardsmu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You are one very confused person. The article is about GENETICS, not
> RELIGION. No geneticist claims that Jews are descended from one man.
> Can you please come back after you sleep it off?

Actually, I'm a bit late to this thread but the "out of Africa"
hypothesis by the famous geneticist Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza among
others posits just that--we are all descended from a single man and a
single woman (genotype that is, not necessarily living at the same
time) out of Africa. Then that genotype radiated, as is common, to
become "Black", "White" and "Yellow". But you can find all this
diversity coming out of Africa.

RL

lostcopper

Jun 17, 2010, 4:01:05 PM6/17/10

Check out the new stuff coming out of Indonesia. Still controversial,
but anything new has to go through the grinder. Some are thinking
that there may be another horizon in southern Asia that parellels
Africa & from which there were survivors as recently as 10,000 years
ago (leaving the obvious qustion about whether or not their DNA
survives today in modern populations).