The Royal Descent of Montogomery Clift

wjhonson

Aug 1, 2008, 11:26:35 PM8/1/08
Provided that we accept (I have my doubts) the claim that Montgomery's
Clift's grandmother was Maria L Anderson, Maria's sister was this
Eliza "Eba" Anderson who married James Lawton and published a few
books.

I have been working a bit on her here
http://www.countyhistorian.com/cecilweb/index.php/Eba_Anderson_Lawton

and also on Montgomery Clift here
http://www.countyhistorian.com/cecilweb/index.php/Montgomery_Clift

The purported royal descent is given here
http://www.countyhistorian.com/cecilweb/index.php/Eba_Anderson_Lawton#Royal_Descent

with my source noted. A source I'm not terribly happy with at the
moment, as it seems likely to be a vanity line published without good
evidence. I'm sure the first and last few generations would not be
that hard to find for which to find evidence.

I'm however more interested in what people think of this Kintail
descent, noting esp, the odd change from MacKenneth to Mackenzie and
the alleged jump from Scotland to the state of Georgia.

jhigg...@yahoo.com

Aug 2, 2008, 12:38:41 AM8/2/08
On Aug 1, 8:26 pm, wjhonson <wjhon...@aol.com> wrote:
> Provided that we accept (I have my doubts) the claim that Montgomery's
> Clift's grandmother was Maria L Anderson, Maria's sister was this
> Eliza "Eba" Anderson who married James Lawton and published a few
> books.
>
> I have been working a bit on her herehttp://www.countyhistorian.com/cecilweb/index.php/Eba_Anderson_Lawton
>
> and also on Montgomery Clift herehttp://www.countyhistorian.com/cecilweb/index.php/Montgomery_Clift
>
> The purported royal descent is given herehttp://www.countyhistorian.com/cecilweb/index.php/Eba_Anderson_Lawton...

> with my source noted. A source I'm not terribly happy with at the
> moment, as it seems likely to be a vanity line published without good
> evidence. I'm sure the first and last few generations would not be
> that hard to find for which to find evidence.
>
> I'm however more interested in what people think of this Kintail
> descent, noting esp, the odd change from MacKenneth to Mackenzie and
> the alleged jump from Scotland to the state of Georgia.

The Stewart/Mackenzie marriage in generation 5 is likely based on
Burke's Extinct Peerage. The Scots Peerage (sub Seaforth), a much
more reliable source, does not give a wife to Colin FitzGerald, and it
raises doubt as to whether he was the father of Kenneth in generation
6. In addition SP in its Stewart article does not mention a daughter
of Walter the High Steward married to a Mackenzie. A comparison with
the Mackenzies in the Seaforth article in SP will indicate a number of
other errors, particularly in the names of wives. SP says that
generations 6 through 10 are likely based solely on tradition "which
may be more or less correct, but there are no means of verifying it".

All is not lost, however. There are alternative royal descents,
probably to more recent kings, via the wives in generations 14 and 16
(Stewart of Atholl and Innes of Invermarkie) - see the various
peerages for details.

But the "Georgia jump" may indeed be an issue also. The source below
doesn't explicitly say that John son of Lachlan did or did not move to
Georgia, but John's grandson definitely stayed in Scotland, which
would suggest that his grandfather was also there. Also the birth
date given for the Georgia John is likely far too late for him to have
been a son of Lachlan (based on dates when Lachlan's eldest son was
prominent, per the source below).

http://books.google.com/books?id=TVwJAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=intitle:highland+intitle:families+inauthor:maclean&lr=&as_brr=0#PPA50,M1

mhol...@mac.com

Aug 2, 2008, 10:27:00 AM8/2/08
Montgomery Clift's ancestry was published by John Anderson Brayton in
the NEHGS NEXUS and afterwards included as Chapter 45 in Notable Kin,
Volume II by Gary Boyd Roberts. His grandmother is given as Maria
Latham Anderson. His gateway royal ancestors include: John Mohr
McIntosh, Sir Patrick Houston, 5th Baronet, Robert Livingston the
Elder of NY, and Thomas Lawrence through his daughter Mary (Lawrence)
Burnham of Ipswich, Mass.

R. Battle

Aug 2, 2008, 2:33:44 PM8/2/08
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, jhigg...@yahoo.com wrote:

<snip>

> But the "Georgia jump" may indeed be an issue also. The source below
> doesn't explicitly say that John son of Lachlan did or did not move to
> Georgia, but John's grandson definitely stayed in Scotland, which
> would suggest that his grandfather was also there. Also the birth
> date given for the Georgia John is likely far too late for him to have
> been a son of Lachlan (based on dates when Lachlan's eldest son was
> prominent, per the source below).

<snip>

RD600 (p. 112) has John Mohr Mackintosh (McIntosh) as a son of Lachlan
Mackintosh of Knocknagel, who was a son of the Lachlan Mackintosh above.
I don't know how reliable GBR's sources are, though. BTW, the RD he chose
for this immigrant is from Robert III of Scotland, via Kennedy, Gordon,
and Mackintosh of Mackintosh.

-Robert Battle

WJho...@aol.com

Aug 2, 2008, 2:56:34 PM8/2/08
to mhol...@mac.com, gen-me...@rootsweb.com

In a message dated 8/2/2008 7:30:11 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
mhol...@mac.com writes:

Montgomery Clift's ancestry was published by John Anderson Brayton in
the NEHGS NEXUS and afterwards included as Chapter 45 in Notable Kin,
Volume II by Gary Boyd Roberts. His grandmother is given as Maria
Latham Anderson.>>

Did you read my article? Whether or not his grandmother is really Maria
Latham Anderson rests solely on the statements of Sunny Clift, perhaps created
for her benefit solely by the doctor who she says was present at her birth.
It's a tenuous position. It would be nice to have some better first-hand
statements, but so far I don't think Brooks has published a book has he?

Will

Read reviews on AOL Autos.