Ancestry of Warren Buffet

wjhonson

May 31, 2009, 2:59:09 PM5/31/09
I have put up a descent from Edward I, King of England to Warren
Buffet here

http://knol.google.com/k/will-johnson/ancestry-of-warren-buffet/4hmquk6fx4gu/122#view

I'm not certain about all these connections yet. I have included some
links to evidence on each line where I could find it.

Will Johnson

jhigg...@yahoo.com

May 31, 2009, 3:33:22 PM5/31/09
On May 31, 11:59 am, wjhonson <wjhon...@aol.com> wrote:
> I have put up a descent from Edward I, King of England to Warren
> Buffet here
>
> http://knol.google.com/k/will-johnson/ancestry-of-warren-buffet/4hmqu...

> I'm not certain about all these connections yet.  I have included some
> links to evidence on each line where I could find it.
>
> Will Johnson

Perhaps you should check the archives of the group on John Drake of
Windsor, the key link in this supposed royal descent. I haven't
followed this very closely, but the archives appear to indicate that
the immigrant John Drake of Windsor, Connecticut, was not of the Drake
family of Devonshire, as shown in the source you cite.

mhol...@mac.com

May 31, 2009, 5:00:14 PM5/31/09

As a descendant of John Drake I can say that is so. I also believe
Doug Richardson is also a descendant. You may wish to look at these
articles: TAG 65 (1990):87--8; TAG 63 (1988):193-206.

royala...@msn.com

May 31, 2009, 10:59:40 PM5/31/09
Will ~

The royal line you have posted for Warren Buffet's fails at the
immigrant, John Drake, of Windsor, Connecticut.

I worked on the Drake origins some years ago. There was an early John
Drake in early New England, who resided at Taunton, Massachusetts. He
derived from Devonshire. He disappeared from the records. He is not
known to have had issue.

Warren Buffett descends from a different contemporary John Drake who
settled at Windsor, Connecticut. My research proved that the
Connecticut man originated from Hampton-in-Arden, Warwickshire. His
first wife (who was the mother of his sons) was Lettice Shakespeare,
daughter of Anthony Shakespeare. Lettice (Shakespeare) Drake is
doubtless related to the famous playwright, William Shakespeare, whose
family came from the same immediate area of Warwickshire.

So Warren Buffett loses the royal ancestry, but get a Shakespeare
connection. Not a bad trade.

Incidentally, speaking of the given name, Enoch. I might add that the
immigrant, John Drake, of Windsor, Connecticut had a son named Enoch
Drake. This child died young in England. But the name Enoch was used
again in the next generation in Connecticut.

On May 31, 12:59 pm, wjhonson <wjhon...@aol.com> wrote:
> I have put up a descent from Edward I, King of England to Warren
> Buffet here
>

> http://knol.google.com/k/will-johnson/ancestry-of-warren-buffet/4hmqu...

fc...@charm.net

Jun 1, 2009, 11:32:56 AM6/1/09
On May 31, 2:59 pm, wjhonson <wjhon...@aol.com> wrote:
> I have put up a descent from Edward I, King of England to Warren
> Buffet here
>
> http://knol.google.com/k/will-johnson/ancestry-of-warren-buffet/4hmqu...

> I'm not certain about all these connections yet.  I have included some
> links to evidence on each line where I could find it.
>
> Will Johnson

As pointed out by others, the John Drake descent is not valid. There
is however another royal descent for Warren Buffet.

Warren Buffet born 30 Aug 1930 in Omaha, Nebraska
Leila Stahl born about 1904/5 in Cuming County, Nebraska
Stella Frances Barber (1873-1960) married John Ammon Stahl
Susan Ann Watson (1845-1899) married John Watson
Deborah Collomore Pennell (1822-1854) married
Thomas Pennell (1791-) married Rhoda Mallet
Mary Cotton (1759-1818) married Stephen Pennell
Thomas Cotton (1725-1781) married Agnes Smith
Leonard Cotton (abt 1690-) married Hannah
Rev. Thomas Cotton (1653-1730) married Bridget Hoar (1673-)
Bridget Lisle (abt 1645-1723) married Leonard Hoar (abt 1630 1675)

see RD600 and similar

I find it amusingly ironic that someone’s royal descent should go
through a regicide.

Fred Chalfant

lostc...@yahoo.com

Jun 1, 2009, 3:44:28 PM6/1/09

Could you extend the pedigree to Edward I for those of us who do not
have access to RD600?

fc...@charm.net

Jun 2, 2009, 8:35:21 AM6/2/09

There are three lines from Edward I to Bridget Lisle. Below is the
shortest. She is also a descendant of Morris Dennis (best to search
the archives under Katherine Stradling and draw your own conclusions
on that possible Edward III descent).

1. Edward I of England - Marguerite of France
2. Thomas of Brotherton, 1st Earl of Norfolk - Alice Hayles
3. Margaret, Duchess of Norfolk -John de Segrave, 4th Baron Segrave
4 Thomas de Mowbray, 1st Duke of Norfolk - Lady Elizabeth FitzAlan
5. Lady Isabel de Mowbray - James Berkeley, 1st Baron Berkeley
6. Maurice Berkeley, 3rd Lord Berkeley - Isabel Meade
7. Anne Berkeley- Sir William Dennis of Dunham
8. Isabel Dennis - Sir John Berkeley of Stoke Gifford
9. Sir Richard Berkeley of Stoke Gifford - Elizabeth Jermy
10. Mary Berkeley - Sir John Hungerford of Down Ampney
11. Bridget Hungerford - Sir William Lisle of Wooton
12. John Lisle - Alice Beckenshaw
13. Bridget Lisle - Dr. Leonard Hoar

Fred Chalfant

jhigg...@yahoo.com

Jun 2, 2009, 12:55:54 PM6/2/09
On May 31, 11:59 am, wjhonson <wjhon...@aol.com> wrote:
> I have put up a descent from Edward I, King of England to Warren
> Buffet here
>
> http://knol.google.com/k/will-johnson/ancestry-of-warren-buffet/4hmqu...

> I'm not certain about all these connections yet.  I have included some
> links to evidence on each line where I could find it.
>
> Will Johnson

In case any latecomers to this thread are trying to find this
information on the ancestry of Warren Buffett [not Buffet], the
website above has received the necessary spelling correction and is
now located at:
http://knol.google.com/k/will-johnson/ancestry-of-warren-buffett/4hmquk6fx4gu/122?domain=knol.google.com&locale=en#

However the supposed "royal descent" for Mr. Buffett, which has been
shown to have at least two breaks in it, has not yet replaced with the
apparently more accurate descent discussed in this thread. Caveat
lector...