New Plantagenet Descent(s) to Henry Sewall (d. 1665)

The...@aol.com

Jan 27, 2002, 12:36:45 PM1/27/02
Sunday, 27 January, 2002

Good morning all,

Thanks largely to information provided by Robert O'Connor, I have
determined that Henry Sewall (d. bef 17 Apr 1665), Secretary of the Province
of Maryland and first husband of Jane Lowe (later Lady Baltimore), is in fact
a GARD, with four lines of descent from Geoffrey Plantagenet, Count of Anjou
and father of Henry II of England. Three of these lines (all listed below)
are through William Longespee, Earl of Salisbury, illegitimate son of Henry
II.

The 'weakest link' would appear to be the connection via Arthur Swinfen or
Swynfen, of Dunchurch, co. Warwick (noted below, * ) as the singular source
for same I have access to is Burke's Commoners. However, given this is the
grandfather of the redoubtable (if not perfect) Sir William Dugdale, I would
expect this link has received attention from others in SGM and elsewhere.

I have prepared sourced reports for the lines listed below, for which
reproduction in this message I have insufficient time (and apologize for an
otherwise incomplete presentation). Should anyone wish for those details,
please advise: I will email any and all requesting same copies of the reports
for those descents which are of interest.

Please note that I take responsibility for the presentation: any error or
omission is mine. I would appreciate being apprised of any deficiency noted,
and will gladly discuss any aspect of the descents listed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I. Descent from Henry II of England to Henry Sewall

.1. Henry II, King of England ~ ___________

.2. William Longespee, Earl of Salisbury = Ela of Salisbury

.3. Sir William Longespee, eldest son, d. 7 Feb 1249/50 = Idoine de Camville

.4. Ida Longespee = Walter fitz Robert, of Dunmow, Essex & c.; d. bef 10
Apr 1258 [1]

.5. Ela fitz Robert = William d'Odingsells, of Maxstoke, co. Warwick and
Overhall in Cavendish, Suffolk; d. 1295)

.6. Ida d'Odingsells = 2nd) John de Clinton, of Armington and Maxstoke, co.
Warwick; lst Lord Clinton; d. 1310

.7. John de Clinton, 2nd Lord Clinton; d.ca. 1335 = Margery Corbet

.8. Ida de Clinton = Sir Baldwin Freville of Tamworth Castle, co. Warwick

.9. Sir Baldwin Freville, of Tamworth Castle = (1st husband) Joyce de
Botetourt

10. Sir Baldwin Freville, of Tamworth Castle = Maud

11. Joyce Freville = (lst wife) Sir Roger Aston of Tixall, co. Stafford

12. Agnes [elsewhere Joan] Aston = Sir Roger Draycott of Paynsley, co.
Stafford

13. Jane Draycott = Thomas Noel, of Hilcote and Newbold, co. Stafford

14. Robert Noel, of Hilcote and Newbold = Maud Brereton

15. James Noel, of Hilcote, d. 1546 = Cecily Pole [2]

16. Dorothy Noel = (1st husband) William Swynfen, of Swynfen, co.
Stafford; d. 24 Mar 1549

17. * Arthur Swynfen, of Dunchurch, co. Warwick = Alice Ragdale [3]

18. Elizabeth Swinfen = John Dugdale of Shustoke, co. Warwick (d. 1624)

19. Mary Dugdale = Richard Sewall or Seawall, of Nuneaton, co. Warwick

20. Henry Sewall, younger son; emigrated to Maryland, 1661 = (1st husband)
Jane Lowe

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

II. Descent from Henry II of England to Henry Sewall

.1. Henry II, King of England ~ _____________

.2. William Longespee, Earl of Salisbury = Ela of Salisbury

.3. Ida Longespee = 2ndly (2nd wife) William de Beauchamp, of Bedfor (d.
1260)

.4. Beatrice de Beauchamp, coheiress = 1stly) Thomas fitz Otes, of
Mendlesham, Suffolk

.5. Maud fitz Thomas, coheiress = John de Botetourt, of Hamerton, co.
Hunts. and Mendlesham, Suffolk; lst Lord Botetourt; d. 25 Nov 1324

.6. Thomas de Botetourt, d.v.p. = Joan de Somery

.7. John de Botetourt, 2nd Lord Botetourt, d. 1385 = Joyce la Zouche de
Mortimer

.8. Joyce de Botetourt = lstly) Sir Baldwin Freville [see above, Pedigree
I, Gen. 9 ]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

III. Descent from Geoffrey Plantagenet to Henry Sewall

.1. Geoffrey Plantagenet, Count of Anjou ~ _________

.2. Hamelin, de jure uxoris Earl of Surrey = Isabel de Warenne

.3. Maud de Warenne = Henry de Hastings, Count of Eu

.4. Alice d'Eu = Raoul de Lusignan [Raoul d'Exoudun], Count of Eu de jure
uxoris

.5. Maud d'Eu = (1st wife) Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford and Essex
(d. 1275)

.6. Alice de Bohun = (1st wife) Roger de Tony, of Flamstead, co. Herts.

.7. Ralph de Tony, of Flamstead, co. Herts.; d. bef 29 Jul 1295 = Mary

.8. Alice de Tony, heiress of Flamstead = 34dly) Sir William la Zouche de
Mortimer, of Ashby; d. 1336

.9. Joyce la Zouche de Mortimer = (2nd wife) John de Botetourt [see above,
Pedigree II, Gen. 7]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

IV. Descent from Henry II of England to Henry Sewall

.1. Henry II, King of England ~ ___________

.2. William Longespee, Earl of Salisbury = Ela of Salisbury

.3. Stephen Longespee, Seneschal of Gascony = Emmeline de Riddlesford

.4. Ela Longespee = Roger la Zouche, of Ashby

.5. Alan la Zouche, of Ashby; Lord Zouche; d. bef 25 Mar 1313 = ________

.6. Maud la Zouche, coheiress = Sir Robert de Holand of Upholland, co.
Lancs.; lst Lord Holand

.7. Maud de Holand = Sir Thomas de Swynnerton of Swynnerton, co. Stafford;
d. 1361

.8. Sir Robert de Swynnerton, of Swynnerton; d. bef 12 Nov 1396 = Elizabeth
de Beke

.9. Maud de Swynnerton = 2ndly) Sir William de Ipstones, of Blymhill and
Ipstones, co. Stafford; d. Oct 1399

10. Alice Ipstones, heiress = Randle Brereton, of Malpas, co. Chester and
Ipstones, co. Stafford; d. aft 1436

11. William Brereton, younger son, of Burras [Borasham], co. Denbigh =
Katherine Wilde

12. Maud Brereton = Robert Noel, of Hilcote, co. Stafford [see above,
Pedigree I, Gen. 14]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES

[1] There is a longstanding controversy over the identifica-
tion of Ida, wife of Walter fitz Robert and ancestress
of the Lords FitzWalter. The chronology for this
family and of the descendants of Ida, wife of William
de Beauchamp (formerly wife of Ralph de Somery) makes
it evident these are two separate individuals, and that
the placement above is appropriate given the chronology.

[2] Through their son Andrew Noel of Dalby, co. Leics. and
Whitwell, co. Rutland (d, 31 Jan 1562/3) it is
understood these two are ancestors of the Noels, Earls
of Gainsborough; Cavendish-Bentinck, Duke of Portland;
and thereby of Prince Charles through his grandmother,
Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (the Queen Mother). It is
assumed then the prior generations have been deduced
separately by Paget and others.

[3] Pedigree of Dugdale in Burke, A Genealogical and
Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain
and Ireland, Vol. I, p. 488 (Baltimore: reprint by
GPS)

Good luck, and good hunting to all.

John *

* John P. Ravilious