Sarah Ferguson - discredited line

wjhonson

Oct 17, 2008, 9:23:09 PM10/17/08
Some time ago, I had stated that the connection that Leo is showing in
Sarah's ancestry to two different Mary Tyrrell's supposedly something
like aunt and neice or first cousins, was highly suspect. More likely
to be a mis-reading of the sources, or that the sources themselves mis-
printed the line.

The key rests in the statement that William Cavendish of Doveridge
Hall married twice. Firstly to Mary Tyrrell and secondly "in 1709" to
Elizabeth Holte.

You can readily verify that the statement that his son and heir Henry
Cavendish, Knt and 1st Bnt (cr 1755) was baptised at Doveridge,
Derbyshire on 15 Apr 1707 (Batch J049912)

So if William Cavendish did not marry Elizabeth Holte until 1709 then
she cannot be the mother of Henry (discounting illegitimacy).

I have already earlier shown the evidence that William did indeed
marry Elizabeth Holte, who upon the death of her father James Holte
(not John), she was found to be one of his four co-heiresses alongwith
her three sisters.

I have already earlier shown that James Holte's wife was Dorothy
Grantham, heiress of Meaux Abbey which is fantastic as it leads us
back to dozens of known connections which I've only just scratched.

However, all of this is moot is indeed Henry Cavendish (1707-1776)'s
mother was not Elizabeth Holte.

I shall now, with a wave and smug satisfaction show that she, in fact,
was. Please note the year below. 1705. Not 1709.

Leicestershire: - Marriage Licences, 1570-1729
Calendar of Wills Proved and of Administrations Granted in the
Commissary Court of the Peculiar and Exempt Jurisdiction of Groby,
1580-1800.
Leicester Marriage Bonds and Allegations. 1570--1729.
Incomplete entries not embodied in the volume owing to omissions or
defects.
County: Leicestershire
Country: England
Cavendish, Wm., Doveridge, Stafford. 1705 --31. Holt, Eliz., Carlton.

Will Johnson