Consanguinity in the 3rd and 4th degrees

grothenwell

Feb 24, 2007, 3:19:20 PM2/24/07
Hello can someone help with this query please.

George Ogilvie, 3rd Baron of Boyne, married Elspet Irvine, daughter of
Sir Alexander Irvine, 4th Laird of Drum. In 1499 dispensation from the
pope had to be requested as there was consanguinity in the 3rd and 4th
degrees. Can someone explain what this means; what relation they have
in common?

1. George Ogilvie

2. Sir Walter Ogilvie
3. Margaret Edmonstone

4. Walter Ogilvie
5. Margaret Sinclair
6. Sir James Edmonstone
7. NN

8. Walter Ogilvie
9. Isabel Glen
10. Sir John Sinclair
11. NN
12. NN
13. NN
14. NN
15. NN

1. Elspet Irvine

2.Sir Alexander Irvine
3. Janet Keith

4. Alexander Irvine
5. Elizabeth Forbes
6. Gilbert Keith
7. Ogstoun, heiress of Ludquhairn
or Janet Dunbar

8. Sir Alexander Irvine
9. Elizabeth Keith
10. Alexander Forbes
11. Elizabeth Douglas
12. Sir William de Keith
13. Elizabeth Ogilvy
14. NN
or Sir James Dunbar
15. NN
or Elizabeth Ogilvy

Thank you,

Grothenwell

pj.evans

Feb 24, 2007, 4:07:28 PM2/24/07

I'm not an expert on this, but if my understanding is correct, it's
likely that Walter Ogilvie and Elizabeth Ogilvy are brother and sister.

grothenwell

Feb 28, 2007, 3:19:05 PM2/28/07
> likely that Walter Ogilvie and Elizabeth Ogilvy are brother and sister.- Hide quoted text -

Ahhhhh,

I posted a reply and it didn't show!!!! I'm not having a lot of luck
here!

Sorry PJ, once more,

Thank you for posting a reply.

>From what you are saying that in George Ogilvie's side one of the
Walter O's, 2 (d 7-Aug-1508), 4 (d c1487) or 8 (d 1440) is the brother
of one of Elspet Irvine's side Elizabeth O's, 13 or possibly 15.

>From my records I have the following,

Elizabeth Ogilvie (13) was the daughter of John O of Linrathen (d
1489) who was the son of Sir Walter O (8) and his first wife, Heiress
of Durward. So Elspets 3rd great grandad was Walter (8) was also
George's great grandfather, but to 2nd wife Isabel Glen.

I am not sure if this can be correct? If it is possible would it
constitute consanguinity in the 3rd and 4th degrees?

The other link is even more unlikely

Elizabeth Ogilvie (15) was the daughter of James O yngr of Findlater
(d 1505) who was the son of James O of Deskford (d 1509), who was the
son of Walter O (4). So Elspets 4th great grandad was Walter (4) was
also George's grandfather.

This can't be correct but I can't work out where I am going wrong. If
someone can please help me out from the mind fog that has set in!

Thanks,

Grothenwell